HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
This. Disney has some good directors at their command, but they also have some pretty bad ones. Is this going to be Avengers/Ironman good or John Carter bad? I pick out my 'must see' movies based on the director and writers involved. It almost never fails to be an accurate predictor of how good a movie ends up. Rarely do bad directors overreach and do something great after a mediocre/bad track record and vice versa.
Well, Andrew Stanton had a pretty good track record before John Carter, so it failed there.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:29 PM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
EU isn't really canon. they basically have to approve stuff, but at any point, Lucas can say "nope, this didn't happen" and a whole book can basically be wiped out. If they're killing a major character, they have to get approval, and that stuff is checked off, but other than that, it's more or less hammered out by lower level people at LucasArts and written by contract writers.
True, but EU try to respect established chronology, making link between movies, books, comics and videogames..whenever it implicates Lucas (movies AND TV series), they just write their **** down, not doing any kind of research about their very own universe, very pathetic. We can clearly see that in the 3D series The Clone Wars now...Ahsoka Tano's existence a the very proof of that They're just looking for the cool aspect...they lost me as a fan..I still buy comic books though, Dark Horse makes a tremendous job at keeping the experience genuine.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, will they aquire Warner Brothers and merge the Marvel and DC universes?

Old
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Seedtype

I'm not sure how I feel right now. Star Wars has been dead for me for quite a while.
I hated what George Lucas did to his franchise. I don't understand why he felt he needed to make all those changes to the original films, and I felt the prequels were crap overall(basically I just feel like it wasn't written well and it was all about special effects and that was it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Tell me who will write and who will direct, then I'll tell you if I'm happy or if I'm gonna commit suicide.

For now, I'm VERY skeptical.
Agreed, and 2015 is very far away.

Star Wars is quite the universe, and I hope the new guy(s) do well with it.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

On a side note, I can see Disney doing extremely well with the Indiana Jones series, something along the lines of the Pirates series.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Maybe they'll base it on the Thrawn trilogy. If so that'd be awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy
Something along with the Thrawn Trilogy is one of the few stories that I can see be worthy of being called "7", although I still think they shouldn't go with the 7 route. Would be weird to see new actors come and replace the beloved originals, or at least I'm guessing they would be replaced. Still feel skeptical at best though.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Well, this wasn't exactly the type of news that I expected to return home to.

Don't really know how to feel. Could be a blessing in disguise if they get some talented people attached to it (But I really doubt that)

Old
10-30-2012, 05:39 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Lucas is officially retiring
Not quite - he can still sit back, help screw up Episode 7 - The Ewok Menace - and laugh all the way to the bank.

Quote:
Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:41 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
I don't have the time and don't want to watch a 70 minute review of a movie, my opinion is the 3 prequels were great films and I enjoyed all of them.
Plinkett's review was one of the few positive things to come out of the last Star Wars trilogy. It's absolutely hilarious, I strongly suggest you watch at least 10 minutes of it.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Judging by the press release from Disney, looks like they also have control over LucasArts as well. Battlefront 3 finally?
If this leads to a Battlefront 3 i wouldn't give a **** about the movie. Make them, i won't watch them. Just give me my Battlefront 3.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
XO

vCash: 50
Oh no

Such bad news.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
Well, Andrew Stanton had a pretty good track record before John Carter, so it failed there.
John Carter was an adaptation though, and poorly managed by Disney. I consider that an outlier.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

I didn't think the classics were godly, anyway.

Last edited by Trance Kuja: 03-18-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Richie10

This thread is hilarious. You realize a Disney bought and financed Marvel Studios just churned out the best selling and universally beloved comic book film in The Avengers, right? Marvel Studios was spinning its wheels until Disney stepped in and bought the thing. Disney was financially behind the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This is FANTASTIC news for Star Wars fans. Disney has a bank account that has an infinity symbol next to it. Everything they touch turns to gold. And without Lucas retaining totalitarian creative control, we actually may see some good Star Wars live action films again. Disney has the money and creative talent to do TONS with this franchise. Very exciting.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Something along with the Thrawn Trilogy is one of the few stories that I can see be worthy of being called "7", although I still think they shouldn't go with the 7 route. Would be weird to see new actors come and replace the beloved originals, or at least I'm guessing they would be replaced. Still feel skeptical at best though.
The Thrawn trilogy wouldn't really work because it requires a Luke Hand and Leia that are only a few years older than the end of Return of the Jedi. Also, a major part of the plot relied on the 'Clone Wars' which in the book set a history very different from Lucas' prequel trilogy. You may be able to spin it to match but it's going to be tough.

In my opinion what would be great is if they keep elements from the Thrawn trilogy, specifically Grand Admiral Thrawn as he was as the new bad guy (for those unfamiliar he's a legitimately great villain, of the Professor Moriarty type), but set farther in the future with new actors for the good guys, perhaps playing the Solo twins as recent graduate from Luke's new Jedi Academy.

As you can tell by my tone I'm going to be looking forward to this, though I'll keep me expectations in check. In my opinion the tragedy of Star Wars is George Lucas constantly revising things and messing stuff up, along with the major let down that was the Phantom Menace (I didn't mind the next two). As someone else already pointed out most of the charm from the original Star Wars came from other creative minds, George Lucas' area of expertise was more in camera work and special effects. The brand went downhill once George's ego grew too big and he decided he didn't have to listen to anyone anymore.

Taking Star Wars away from him to make a new Star Wars movie could be a great thing, and I think Disney has proven that they can be trusted to pull it off and that they've come a long way from being just an animated studio for kids with a big theme park.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I am very excited about this

Old
10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
Exactly, there's nothing left to tell. They need to create a separate storyline with new characters. I don't really have high hopes though, these movies will make a **** load of money regardless of quality.
Probably base them of the books which explore the next generation. In the books Han and Leia have three children, twins Jaina and Jacen, and about 18 months later, Anakin. They all grow up and go Jedi or sith, with phases of both. yes, i read a lot of star wars books, thanks to getting hooked on Star Wars during the last lockout.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Brave and Cars 2 weren't exactly resounding successes. At least not the type that Pixar had been accustomed to. Yeah, they both made 500 million + worldwide but they were not well received by critics.
Oh, damn. Two films. That leaves Disney Pixar's batting average at around .800 then. What a terrible movie studio.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

This blows but anything to keep Lucas away from Star Wars.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

They probably could make it back in toys and Disney princesses ripoffs.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:52 PM
wedge

I don't know what to think about it. The Thrawn trilogy would be awesome but still.. I'd like new stories. But at the same time, I don't want the Expended Universe to become useless. I want to keep the feeling that What I've read in the last 20 years have some significance in the saga.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Bruv
Loveless

They only plan on taking 2-3 years to make Star Wars Episode 7? This movie gon blow.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, will they aquire Warner Brothers and merge the Marvel and DC universes?
As cool as that would be, I doubt it. Disney and Time Warner are like Coke and Pepsi. Neither one of them will be bought out easily.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:10 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Disney really had nothing to do with any of the Marvel Movies.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:17 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
This blows but anything to keep Lucas away from Star Wars.
You do realize he will be the Creative Consultant right?

Closed Thread