HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schneider to Edmonton

Old
10-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Did Price, Ward, Brodeur, Roy developed "properly" ?

They didnt properly develop in the AHL (not playing for more than a season than a season, or totally skipped this part of their developement) as didnt mature and take experience as NHL backup
As I said, you really can't compare a goaltender's development path. It's futile, they all do it completley differently.

Look at Tim Thomas. What career path can you compare him to? Brian Elliot? Mason? Schneider? Price? Bobrovsky? All completley different. Ergo, nothing can be gained from comparing career paths for goaltenders.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
What about Eddie Lack? What would Nuck fans want from the Oilers for him?

edit: didn't read the whole thread, just doing it now.

Hall and Eberle were just signed until their late 20s so they are absolutely off the table. RNH is already the best centre the Oilers have had since Weight so he's not up for grabs either.

Schultz is exceeding expectations in the AHL and looks very promising in an area of weakness (lack of a true first pairing D).

The only player in the crop of Oilers youngsters I would even feel remotely comfortable trading is Yakupov. And even then it would be for an equally promising elite talent and as good as Schneider is, I don't like it for the Oilers.

I'd love to see a deal around Lack though.

Last edited by Angelus: 10-30-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Dunno. we have him slated as our backup next year, but if we get Theodore/Reimer, I'd let him go for a 1st or something.(maybe MPS?)

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
As I said, you really can't compare a goaltender's development path. It's futile, they all do it completley differently.

Look at Tim Thomas. What career path can you compare him to? Brian Elliot? Mason? Schneider? Price? Bobrovsky? All completley different. Ergo, nothing can be gained from comparing career paths for goaltenders.
so what is developing a goalie "properly"?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Not rushing them into the NHL.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Depends on the goalie.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyj View Post
Yep, totally equal, other than the fact Quick has played like four times as many games and won a Stanley Cup . Schneider is a good goalie with lots of potential, but let's get back a bit closer to reality. When he puts up good numbers for more than 30 or so games in a year then we can start comparing his value to elite goaltenders.
Canuck management, their coaching staff and I disagree here. Hence why the Canucks are moving an elite goaltender to make room for Cory Schneider. If there was any doubt whether or not Cory was the real deal Luongo wouldn't be on the outs.

Jonathan Quick only has 2 excellent seasons under his belt in the NHL. Does that mean he shouldn't be mentioned in the 'elite' category with Luongo and Lundqvist until he proves himself over the longterm? Or is his tecnique, athleticism and positioning good enough to assume he will be able to sustain a high level of play moving forward?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:51 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Gagner +(MPS or conditional 1st) for Luongo is the obvious answer.

Canucks need a 3rd line/2nd PP unit center that can slide into the top 6 whenever Kesler inevitably injures himself. Gagner is the ideal player (preferrable to Bozak in my eyes).

We do not need Hemsky. We already have Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Raymond, Hansen as top 9 forwards with Kassian and Jensen knocking on the door. Yes, Hemsky would be an upgrade on every winger not named Burrows/Sedin, but not a worthwhile one considering the cap and our positional needs.

Schroeder is not ready and may never be ready for the NHL. Gagner is an established 2nd line centre at a young age on a contract that will fit the cap. Having him on our third line gives us a top 9 that may actually provide some secondary scoring beyond Kesler in the playoffs.

I think Edmonton does this because their young players are ready to win. They should be a playoff team in the next 1-2 years, and then contenders in the next 3-5. Luongo (+another good defenseman) would greatly help that development.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Gagner +(MPS or conditional 1st) for Luongo is the obvious answer.

Canucks need a 3rd line/2nd PP unit center that can slide into the top 6 whenever Kesler inevitably injures himself. Gagner is the ideal player (preferrable to Bozak in my eyes).

We do not need Hemsky. We already have Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Raymond, Hansen as top 9 forwards with Kassian and Jensen knocking on the door. Yes, Hemsky would be an upgrade on every winger not named Burrows/Sedin, but not a worthwhile one considering the cap and our positional needs.

Schroeder is not ready and may never be ready for the NHL. Gagner is an established 2nd line centre at a young age on a contract that will fit the cap. Having him on our third line gives us a top 9 that may actually provide some secondary scoring beyond Kesler in the playoffs.

I think Edmonton does this because their young players are ready to win. They should be a playoff team in the next 1-2 years, and then contenders in the next 3-5. Luongo (+another good defenseman) would greatly help that development.
Err......obvious answer for who? Means we have the great Shawn Horcoff as #2C so thanks but no thanks.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:58 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Err......obvious answer for who? Means we have the great Shawn Horcoff as #2C so thanks but no thanks.
I guess that depends on how you measure:
Dubnyk -----> Luongo
vs.
Gagner -----> Gagner's replacement.

You have to give to get.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
I don't know how to discount Luongo's value to take into account his horrendous contract. The uncertainty of the CBA clouds it even more (could make his contract better or worse).

He's, in my opinion, still a top10 goalie in this league and would help the Oilers immensely. I'm just not sure how much to give up for him in light of his contract.

As for Schneider, I honestly don't think he's proven that much more than Dubnyk. Their stats are similar and we all know who plays behind the better defense.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:04 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I guess that depends on how you measure:
Dubnyk -----> Luongo
vs.
Gagner -----> Gagner's replacement.

You have to give to get.
....and where is Gagner's replacement coming from?

Gagner will not be traded until we have a viable alternative at #2C.

You really need to look elsewhere to make a trade for Luongo. It does not make sense for EDM at this time.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Kip96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post

edit: didn't read the whole thread, just doing it now.

Hall and Eberle were just signed until their late 20s so they are absolutely off the table. RNH is already the best centre the Oilers have had since Weight so he's not up for grabs either.

Schultz is exceeding expectations in the AHL and looks very promising in an area of weakness (lack of a true first pairing D).

The only player in the crop of Oilers youngsters I would even feel remotely comfortable trading is Yakupov. And even then it would be for an equally promising elite talent and as good as Schneider is, I don't like it for the Oilers.

I'd love to see a deal around Lack though.
Lack is going nowhere

His value is low right now and we need Lack for when the fanbase turns on Schneider for not single handledly winning us the cup next year

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
Lack is going nowhere

His value is low right now and we need Lack for when the fanbase turns on Schneider for not single handledly winning us the cup next year
I wouldn't say that. If the Oilers offered Klefbom it's hard to see Gillis turning them down.

Lacks looks like he's destined to be a starting goalie in the NHL but he's hardly untouchable for the Canucks. You're just not likely going to see him moved for anything less than someone that projects as an impact skater.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Kip96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I wouldn't say that. If the Oilers offered Klefbom it's hard to see Gillis turning them down.

Lacks looks like he's destined to be a starting goalie in the NHL but he's hardly untouchable for the Canucks. You're just not likely going to see him moved for anything less than someone that projects as an impact skater.
I doubt any team would offer anything that would even make Gillis consider it

We know that Lack is very good and has potential but I don't think a lot of others do

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Dunno. we have him slated as our backup next year, but if we get Theodore/Reimer, I'd let him go for a 1st or something.(maybe MPS?)
Eddie Lack is worth a 1st?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I would think so. Maybe not from Edmonton, though, but a mid-late 1st sounds about right.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Don't think that's what it's worth, I think that's what it'd take to get him away from Gillis' clutches however

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:37 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
I would think so. Maybe not from Edmonton, though, but a mid-late 1st sounds about right.
But why would a playoff bound team be trading for Eddie Lack?

Old
10-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
But why would a playoff bound team be trading for Eddie Lack?
Maybe if Columbus traded one of LA/NYR's picks. Just gauging rough value of what he'd be worth.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:55 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
More likely a return similar to Lindback, who was worth two 2nds and a 3rd apparently.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
More likely a return similar to Lindback, who was worth two 2nds and a 3rd apparently.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Lindback was more proven at the NHL level.

Lack is probably worth a similar return to Bishop.

kthsn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Nobody is going to give up a first round pick for a goalie who hasn't even completed a single minute in the NHL. If that were the case, Jason Labarbara would have been worth 3 1st round picks last lockout.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Nobody is going to give up a first round pick for a goalie who hasn't even completed a single minute in the NHL. If that were the case, Jason Labarbara would have been worth 3 1st round picks last lockout.
You're right, I wouldn't try my first round pick for Yakupov, Murray, or Galchenyuk. They haven't even played a single minute in the NHL.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote