HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

AAA 2012 Draft

Old
10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Have to imagine he was one of the wingers seventies was referencing with the Sanderson pick. I looked at Prospal because he was a playmaking winger to pair with Jokinen, but it was just too much defensive liability for one line, so I went with the traditional winger in Sanderson to start my 2nd line.
You're right, he was one of them.

I know Prospal is nothing special in his own end, but is he really a liability? And would Sanderson be any better?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:36 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

The St.John's Monsters select defenseman Antonin Stavjana

A native of the Czech Republic, Stavjana had 224 points in 501 career games.

More on Stavjana can be found here:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...cgi?serial=499

Next has been pmed.

Last edited by tony d: 10-31-2012 at 01:17 PM.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:00 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
The St.John's Monsters select defenseman Antonin Stavjana

A native of the Czech Republic, Stavjana had 224 points in 501 career games.

Next has been pmed.
a fine pick. A very mobile defenseman with great eyes.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Rob Scuderi

I'll take RW Earl Robinson

Scoring winger with great percentage scores who wasn't a coattail rider

70s bio from last year's draft

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You're right, he was one of them.

I know Prospal is nothing special in his own end, but is he really a liability? And would Sanderson be any better?
Prospal matured over his career defensively. Not a liability and has become a better team player with age and can make some fine defensive plays here and there. Not as much when I saw him in the AHL with the Phantoms some years ago, way more offensive minded.

Sanderson was not very good defensively, from what I recall, in the traditional Marian Hossa sense...often times, he would be the last guy back because as a speedy left winger, it made sense for him to be the first man in in many systems. So he's in on the forecheck (forechecking, of course, a form of defense, despite its aggressive nature). If I had to pin it down, I'd say Sanderson was a guy that could play average defensively in a tight defensive system with a lot of structure, especially one that required collapsing back in the net. Otherwise, I don't recall him investing too much time in staunch defensive play.

Basically a wash, in my opinion...

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:30 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Prospal matured over his career defensively. Not a liability and has become a better team player with age and can make some fine defensive plays here and there. Not as much when I saw him in the AHL with the Phantoms some years ago, way more offensive minded.

Sanderson was not very good defensively, from what I recall, in the traditional Marian Hossa sense...often times, he would be the last guy back because as a speedy left winger, it made sense for him to be the first man in in many systems. So he's in on the forecheck (forechecking, of course, a form of defense, despite its aggressive nature). If I had to pin it down, I'd say Sanderson was a guy that could play average defensively in a tight defensive system with a lot of structure, especially one that required collapsing back in the net. Otherwise, I don't recall him investing too much time in staunch defensive play.

Basically a wash, in my opinion...
Prospal were basically a sterotype of a Czech when he came over. Terribly defensively and not that great offensively. I'd say that whatever happened to him during the lockout was good for his career.

Sanderson had a different path entirely. He were a highly touted prospect out of WHL and joined Hartfords scoring line almost immediately, paired with Cassels, they werent exactly out there to stop the opponents. He was pretty good with the Sabres I think. I wouldn't have picked him though. He has never managed to score 30 goal or more without Cassels and Sanderson without Cassels is a single-A player at best.

Edit: Actually he managed to do it with another center in Columbus too, so he's a bit better than I thought.

Last edited by jkrx: 10-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Well, for starters the exact reason Olczyk's PPG is not much higher is because he played so much more hockey. If you just look at their best 6 seasons, Eklund scored 0.88 PPG to Olczyk's 1.03. Everything else Olczyk did in addition to that (0.73 PPG over his next 5 best seasons, for example) is gravy on top of that.

They both have identical records as penalty killers. Eklund appears to have a slight PP advantage. Olczyk at ES crushes him though, scoring at a 26% higher rate despite nearly twice as many games.

Eklund definitely has a better playoff record, but we're talking about just a 17% edge in production, and this represents a rather small part of each of their careers, even if we all agree playoffs are more important.

As for Jokinen, I can let his GM address that if he chooses, but from my vantage point he appears to be on another level entirely.
Quote:
More on Eklund/Olczyk:

Linemates are a factor, too. These are Olczyk's best seasons, broken down a little further:

1989: 90 points. Led Toronto by a wide margin; 15 points. that includes players like Leeman, and also Damphousse, who was just a year younger.

1990: 88 points, 3rd on Toronto. Played with Leeman and Damphousse, who had 94 and 95. He was 3rd, but was not far enough behind that anyone would call him a point suck.

1988: Led Toronto with 75 points, 14 more than 2nd place.

1986: 79 points, 3rd on Chicago, behind Savard (obviously) and Troy Murray. Murray had 99 points, in a Ryan Kesler-ish output he wouldn't come close to repeating. Since Larmer and Savard were joined at the hip, he presumably played with Murray. It's interesting that, although he had the lowest PPG on his line (Curt Fraser was the other winger), he outscored both of Savard's wingers - Secord and Larmer.

1992: 65 points, 2nd on Jets, 1st among forwards. Clearly Housley and Olausson ran that offense, but Olczyk was their most prolific forward, scoring 15 more than anyone else.

1991: 57 points in 61 games after coming over from Toronto (0.93). This was easily the 2nd best scoring rate among forwards, after Thomas Steen (1.16). After that, it was Pat Elyniuk, who played with Steen (0.81) and Brent Ashton (0.59) who, based on the roster, I presume played with Steen as well. This means the best linemates Olczyk could have had were Paul MacDermid (0.52) and Doug Evans (0.49).

In Eklund's case, in at least a few of his relevant offensive seasons, didn't he play with Tim Kerr? Kerr, of course, topped a point per game every season from 1984-1990, excluding '88; Eklund never did.
These are excellent posts backing up opinion with facts. Eddie O didn't play over 1000 career games, because he couldn't play better than Eklund.

Last edited by Hawkman: 10-30-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Honoring Hobnobs
Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
These are excellent posts backing up opinion with facts. Eddie O didn't play over 1000 career games, because he couldn't play.
Who said he couldnt play?

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Johnny Engine

By the way, consider GrantSabbath ( this guy )my co-GM for all intents and purposes. You'll notice he has only one post, but I know him in real life, and am just about to head out for wings and beer and discuss my next pick (because we're men, har har har). So he may or may not do anything, but if by chance he comes in during my turn and picks someone, see it as legitimate.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Dreakmur

32 Bring Back Scuderi - Pittsburgh Professionals - Earl Robinson, RW
33 chaosrevolver - Belleville Bulls - SKIPPED
34 Velociraptor - Utah Grizzlies - SKIPPED
35 Johnny Engine - St. John's Ice Caps - On the clock until 8:39 PM
36 BillyShoe1721 - EHC Eisbären Berlin -

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Johnny Engine

Grant Sabbath and I pick Brad Stuart, D. Nearly 900 games, big minute guy with some offensive upside early on, and a big part of some very good Wings teams.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-30-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Jason Pominville, RW

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Jason Pominville, RW

die in a fire...

Old
10-30-2012, 10:14 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
With our first pick, we'll take RW Mac Colville as the defensive conscious with Olli Jokinen, who is also more of a playmaker than a scorer.

We will also select D Rick Smith

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:21 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I'll take RW Earl Robinson

Scoring winger with great percentage scores who wasn't a coattail rider

70s bio from last year's draft
This is a very good pick. Probably the best pre-expansion winger. Poile has the all-star team on him, but Robinson's offense was so much better. And I don't think either did much more than score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Grant Sabbath and I pick Brad Stuart, D. Nearly 900 games, big minute guy with some offensive upside early on, and a big part of some very good Wings teams.
I bristled when he was taken two drafts ago at 1121. Wasn't sure how he stood out. Two more good seasons later, he is a great pick at 1240.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Jason Pominville, RW

Wow, there really is no hiding picks, eh?

My favourite wingers heading into this:

Petr Sykora
Earl Robinson
Geoff Sanderson
Vinny Prospal
Jason Pominville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
33 chaosrevolver - Belleville Bulls - SKIPPED
34 Velociraptor - Utah Grizzlies - SKIPPED
35 Johnny Engine - St. John's Ice Caps - On the clock until 8:39 PM
36 BillyShoe1721 - EHC Eisbären Berlin -
Thanks for doing this. It helps.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
seventieslord

Some housekeeping:

- When I ask about whether to stop the clock overnight, I get silence. The problem is, that silence could mean, "I don't care either way", or "I like it the way it is and don't want to change". Can I get some opinions on this?

- We need to get slotted into divisions. There are a couple things we could do. One would be for TDMM to randomly draw them, or for him to assign divisions fairly as an unbiased observer (basing it on experienced vets, younger vets, and noobs). I'm open to other ideas too. (the reason this happened is because it looked like we were heading for 11 teams which would have been a one-division draft, then we got 12 right at the buzzer)

- Any mod reading this, you are always allowed to update post 2 with recent picks. In fact, I'd love it if you did. Failing that, any non-mod can do what Dreakmur just did. It really helps when I'm away from the board for 8-12 hours and need to add up the clocks to see where we are.

- Let's all remember to PM the next guy after making our pick.

- Also, if you ever see your post was edited by me, the sole reason was to bold the name of the player you selected, and/or add a position if you didn't list one.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Johnny Engine

Alright, I'm going to take the guy who I was debating about along with Stuart. Francois Beauchemin hasn't played less than 23 minutes at any point in his career, and he's been part of a few great teams. Probably a higher peak as a defensive defenseman than Stuart.

The IceCaps now have a great shutdown pairing, or possibly 2 pairings with a steady rock.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

I'll pick sometime tomorrow, go ahead and skip me.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:21 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Alright, I'm going to take the guy who I was debating about along with Stuart. Francois Beauchemin hasn't played less than 23 minutes at any point in his career, and he's been part of a few great teams. Probably a higher peak as a defensive defenseman than Stuart.

The IceCaps now have a great shutdown pairing, or possibly 2 pairings with a steady rock.
I have a feeling not many people will like this pick, but I like it.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:14 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I didn't like it when I first read it, but when I looked up his usage, Beauchemin has been heavily relied upon by some good teams. His TOI looks so good because he was paired with Pronger/Niedmermayer for the majority of his career. He got that much time because he was their partner, not necessarily because he is a 25 minute a night(#1) defenseman. It's still a solid pick though.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:37 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
The Belleville Bulls use their skipped pick to select a fast two-way player who was a clutch scorer and was actually 4th all-time in goals after the 1899 season:

C - Billy Barlow

With their other pick the Bulls will select a physical defensive defenseman who was a coaches favourite:

D - Lyle Odelein

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Rob Scuderi

I'll take D Keith Brown

Two-way defender who can play on both special team units

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:20 AM
Dreakmur

33 chaosrevolver - Belleville Bulls - Billy Barlow, C
34 Velociraptor - Utah Grizzlies - Jason Pominville, RW
35 Johnny Engine - St. John's Ice Caps - Brad Stuart, D
36 BillyShoe1721 - EHC Eisbären Berlin - Mac Colville, RW

37 BillyShoe1721 - EHC Eisbären Berlin - Rick Smith, D
38 Johnny Engine - St. John's Ice Caps - Francois Beauchemin, D
39 Velociraptor - Utah Grizzlies - SKIPPED40 chaosrevolver - Belleville Bulls - Lyle Odelein, D
41 Bring Back Scuderi - Pittsburgh Professionals - Keith Brown, D
42 tony d - St. John's Monsters - ON THE CLOCK until 6:59 AM
43 seventieslord & Dreakmur - Regina Pat Canadians -
44 Hedberg - Fort Saskatchewan Traders -

Last edited by Dreakmur: 10-31-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old
10-31-2012, 03:28 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I didn't like it when I first read it, but when I looked up his usage, Beauchemin has been heavily relied upon by some good teams. His TOI looks so good because he was paired with Pronger/Niedmermayer for the majority of his career. He got that much time because he was their partner, not necessarily because he is a 25 minute a night(#1) defenseman. It's still a solid pick though.
He wasn't really either of their partners. Those 3 guys were just used A LOT, and in different combinations. All three weren't actually together very long. He's been a 23+ minute guy for 7 seasons in a row now.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:29 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
42 tony d - St. John's Monsters - ON THE **** until 6:59 AM
Whoops! Funny typo