HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Texas Stars @ OKC Barons, Sunday 10/28 3PM MDT - RNH Will Play!

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
From BlueBelle's wonderful news thread, but very relevant to where this thread is now:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...oilers-in-ahl/

URL says it all, "hall-says-more-liberties-being-taken-against-young-oilers-in-ahl".
RNH said the same thing. He said the league was a lot chippier than the NHL. And if you watch it this is true.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Stoneman89

Yes, I hear a lot of pie in the sky solutions to the problem but this is the real world. The leagues, NHL or AHL don't step in and punish every time some puke tries to take out a star with a knee or cheap shot. It would be a wonderful world if there would be justice handed out every time that happened and the book was thrown at these clowns trying to make a name for themselves. But it doesn't happen, at least not with regularity. When suspensions are dished out, the star is usually on the shelf for a long time, so it's too late. So.....until it does,( and don't hold your breath too long waiting), the alternative is to protect yourself and your team mates and send a message repeatedly. Long term memory reinforcement I call it.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Yes, I hear a lot of pie in the sky solutions to the problem but this is the real world. The leagues, NHL or AHL don't step in and punish every time some puke tries to take out a star with a knee or cheap shot. It would be a wonderful world if there would be justice handed out every time that happened and the book was thrown at these clowns trying to make a name for themselves. But it doesn't happen, at least not with regularity. When suspensions are dished out, the star is usually on the shelf for a long time, so it's too late. So.....until it does,( and don't hold your breath too long waiting), the alternative is to protect yourself and your team mates and send a message repeatedly. Long term memory reinforcement I call it.
Actually it does happen in most leagues around the world and even here in CIS hockey.

Strict enforcement IS quite possible. Thing is the NHL says one thing, but loves the ratings drama that fighting, bs, and controversy brings. Its patently easy to get rid of pukes like Avery, Cooke, or Marchment, Marchand. The dead honest truth is the NHL doesn't always want to. The NHLPA NEVER wants to.

The result of that is fans getting duped like its some sad soap opera or WWE. Followed by fans calling for ever more violence to rid the league of violence...warped logic.

You talk about this like cleaning up the NHL is an impossibility. THAT is nonsense. Of course they could.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:19 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Not really surprising. The AHL's home to plenty of enforcers and a plethora of guys who couldn't make it to the NHL on talent. RNH, Hall, and Eberle are going to have to learn to play through it, because that's what the NHL playoffs will be like (for chippiness).

10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Not really surprising. The AHL's home to plenty of enforcers and a plethora of guys who couldn't make it to the NHL on talent. RNH, Hall, and Eberle are going to have to learn to play through it, because that's what the NHL playoffs will be like (for chippiness).
Ultimately as long as they make it our without any kind of lingering effects it will make them stronger and better players. The big 3 and Schultz have bullseyes the size of small dinner tables on their backs.

10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Can anyone sign an AHL contract like Hall? Maybe a guy like Hordichuk knowing this lockout likely means he's done would be open to go down. A little bit of crazy down there might be a good idea at this point.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins to Hall View Post
Can anyone sign an AHL contract like Hall? Maybe a guy like Hordichuk knowing this lockout likely means he's done would be open to go down. A little bit of crazy down there might be a good idea at this point.
I'd rather use a roster spot on a prospect than a useless goon like Hordichuk.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'd rather use a roster spot on a prospect than a useless goon like Hordichuk.
What about the career AHLers like House?

Old
10-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
You had to have played in the AHL the season before to sign an AHL contract. The league made an exception for Hall due to his injury situation.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:48 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
I can't remember the exact rules but I'm pretty sure that AHL teams can only have a certain amount of players with x amount of NHL experience. Hordichuk would be a waste.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
I was hoping that'd be the case as well but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
You had to have played in the AHL the season before to sign an AHL contract. The league made an exception for Hall due to his injury situation.
I bet Hordi will be taking names of some of these scrubs in the event that that they make it to the show. In the meantime it's Abney time IMO.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Petry played a couple of games in the AHL last season; does that make him eligible? Any roster move to just get rid of Ringwald!.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Petry played a couple of games in the AHL last season; does that make him eligible? Any roster move to just get rid of Ringwald!.
Pretty sure you also had to be on the clear day roster IIRC which he clearly wasn't. That said he'd be a huge addition down there.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:40 AM
ejams

I wish north american leagues would just permanently suspend players that try to end other careers. End theirs before they end someone else's.. Chris Simon's play is an example of the NHL not giving a **** about their employees.

EDIT: This is just me worrying about Hall possibly dying on Friday.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:59 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
I'm really starting to question if they should let Hall play. It's apparent the entire league is trying to make a name off Eberle and RNH, if Hall goes down from a cheap shot on Friday, I'll have a ****ing stroke.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

@
AEROS: 4-2-1-0 VS BARONS: 4-3-0-0

Game InfoGame Day: Friday November 2nd 2012
Game Time: 6:00PM MDT
Radio:
PPV AHL Neulion

LineupsBARONS: TBD,This is my guess at this point.
Hall #22-Nugent-Hopkins #18-Eberle #7
Paajarvi #19-Arcobello #26-Hartikainen #10
Byers #34-Vande Velde #29-Pitlick #9
Tyrvainen #14-Lander #16-Abney #36

Marincin #28-J. Schultz #5
Davidson #3-Teubert #33
Zahn #2-Fedun #27

Roy #31
Danis #35

Scratches:

Healthy: C Martindale #17, W Hamilton #13, C/W House #21, D Ringwald #6, D Plante #4

Injured: D Davidson #3 (Testicular Cancer), W Green #12 (Ribs)

AEROS:
TBD
Roster

Who to watch?BARONS TO WATCH: All eyes will be on the Barons #22 on Friday, Taylor Hall makes his AHL debut after a lengthy offseason of healing and rehabbing his shoulder. Other potential players that might see their first AHL action of the season are big forward Cam Abney and another tough as nails player Teigan Zahn. Both players were recalled this week while Kristians Pelss headed in the other direction to Stockton.

AEROS TO WATCH: Houston much like OKC is loaded with youth and highly touted youth at that. Mikael Granlund continues his hot start to his first season in North America with 10 points through 7 games. Houston has five recent first round picks on their club: Granlund, Jonas Brodin (Oscar Klefbom's former teammate), Zack Phillips, Charlie Coyle, and Tyler Cuma. They also have a number of recent 2nd round picks: Brett Bulmer, Johan Larsson, Jason Zucker, and Marco Scandella.

Quotable"I thought that we made it easy for them, we have to be hard to play against, last night we weren't"-Barons head coach Todd Nelson on last Friday's 6-4 loss to the Houston Aeros.

Season Series
DateLocationResult
10/26OKC 6-4 Houston

Team Comparison
 BaronsAeros
Points89
Wins44
Power Play %23.525.7
Penalty Kill %74.378.6

Team Leaders
BaronsAeros
GOALS: Schultz (6)Coyle (5)
ASSISTS:Schultz and Nugent-Hopkins (6)Granlund (7)
+/-: Marincin (+5)Granlund (+6)

Today's Videos

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 11-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

I just got the GDT post ready in case I don't have time to do it later, I'll be posting it sometime tomorrow.

Closed Thread