HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Arena Thread Part 6

View Poll Results: On what day will city council vote to finalize a new arena for Edmonton's downtown?
Between now and Christmas 2012 8 7.41%
Between New Year's Day and the end of February 2013 30 27.78%
Between March and July, 2013 16 14.81%
Before the October 2013 civic election 14 12.96%
Not until 2014 4 3.70%
Not until 2015 3 2.78%
Not until 2016 1 0.93%
Not until 2017 6 5.56%
Never 26 24.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2012, 12:37 AM
  #1
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,829
vCash: 81
The Official Arena Thread Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I honestly think they are just dreaming of the $ that come with expansion.

I get the feeling the ideal scenario is still 30 teams, perhaps they just don't want to let 2 teams fail, have dispersal drafts, and then expand to Ontario and Quebec?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Pretty much my feelings to a tee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
I can't see why Katz wouldn't want to move the team to southern Ont. before you all spazz out, understand from a business aspect how profitable that move would be. We all know the Leafs generate the most revenue regardless of success, yes there has been zero to speak of in the past decade. With the city and Katz butting heads, the city has to understand Katz owns the team, thus he decides the fate. The oilers leaving Edmonton would deveatate the town but if I was in the business of making money, with all the hassle lately I'd move it to the most proven hockey market in the NHL in a heartbeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
I'm sorry but you've made several statements on Katz and the Casino liscense and they all deserve a negative response.

To start off the public reveal of Katz's political donations have ensured that the chance of Katz ever getting a Casino liscense is ZERO. Let me repeat that, ZERO, its a non-starter that this PC governement will ever do anything than ever remotely resembles a quid pro quo. He won't be able to get a free lunch on an MP let alone a casino liscense

What in high hell has the Katz group or the Oilers done to deserve a Casino liscense?

Just because Pittsburg got one isn't a valid response. Pittsburg plays in sports city with numerous other legitimate competitors for its sporting dollar and has a gross household income of around 50K.

Edmonton plays in a city where it essentially has the sports/entertainment dollar to itself and has one of the highest per houshold GDP's in metro North America at around 85K.

The idea tha Katz gets to cherry pick the most favourable parts of funding models from all over the NHL is fairyland and you need to quit sprinkling his dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Who does it hurt to give the Oilers/Katz a gaming license? The taxpayer? No.

And yes, Edmonton is not Pittsburgh. Edmonton couldn't possibly have troubles with an NHL franchises in the span of 35 years ... because every year since 1979 has gone swimmingly right?

Yeah ... uh, how about no. Some of us remember the early-mid 1990s. What happens when the salary cap is $90 million? What happens if Edmonton's economy is no longer one of the highest in North America? What happens if the Canadian dollar drops to 65 cents again?

When you're making an arena deal for 35 years, I don't blame Katz one bit for trying to get the best possible deal. Economic conditions can change in 10 years. 20 years. 30 years. Anyone who's looked at the overall history of the Oilers knows that there have been wild swings in the economic stability of the franchise.

I haven't heard any credible reason why the Oilers can't have a gaming license other than "well we're not Pittsburgh or Winnipeg". Yeah ... and? Why shouldn't the Oilers have a very good deal? Who is really being hurt if the Oilers have a gaming license? How many bars/pubs/arena staff are helped by the Oilers?

Do I get a cookie for "sticking it to Katz"? What do I gain with the Oilers not having this gaming license?

Continue here.

And lets cut out the crap and have a civil conversation please. Cheers.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 09:53 AM
  #2
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,060
vCash: 500
I dont have a problem with the Oilers getting a gaming license but it's entirely out of the City's hands. IF Katz wants a Casino he will have to either apply for a licence or buy out the current operator who holds a licence at the Baccarat. I dont think Katz ever seriously intended to operate a casino I think it was just a suggestion based on the Pittsburgh model of a way to subsidize their operations. But as the city pointed out the Pittsburgh deal is unique to Pittsburgh and their are several reasons why the proposed deal here in this market is better than the Pittsburgh model.

IF the dollar drops to 65 cents again then Katz could be in trouble, but so could the city. Big economic swings dont just affect the hockey team. The biggest problem with giving him something that protects him from a downturn is that while he doesnt need it we are subsidizing him huge profits. If the economy never does go through a downturn then he never needed that money in the first place. A reasonable solution would be the ticket surcharge flipping to Katz if certain criteria are met, like a lower Canadian dollar or revenues not keeping pace with the rest of the league.

Halibut is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 10:22 AM
  #3
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Wow. The sixth thread. It's got to be almost built by now, right?

Wheatking is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 11:21 AM
  #4
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,239
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
IF the dollar drops to 65 cents again then Katz could be in trouble, but so could the city. Big economic swings dont just affect the hockey team. The biggest problem with giving him something that protects him from a downturn is that while he doesnt need it we are subsidizing him huge profits. If the economy never does go through a downturn then he never needed that money in the first place. A reasonable solution would be the ticket surcharge flipping to Katz if certain criteria are met, like a lower Canadian dollar or revenues not keeping pace with the rest of the league.
This is intelligent and rational thinking, and I agree. Make any sort of subsidy based on the premise of hypothetical risk contingent on economic criteria, such as dollar value relative to USD. I'd take that bet.

stratedge is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 03:56 PM
  #5
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Wow. The sixth thread. It's got to be almost built by now, right?
At least half built amirite?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-28-2012, 05:46 PM
  #6
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,392
vCash: 500
No one held a gun to Katz's head and forced him to buy the team. In fact that team wasn't even on the market when he went to EIG. In fact he bought out one shareholder at a time, it was a borderline hostile takeover.
That being said we know how much the Oilers mean to Edmonton. Lets set the egos aside and get this deal done

aqib is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 08:11 PM
  #7
oilphan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but man this stuff is looking bad. Now an official investigation by election officials. Yikes.

oilphan is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 08:27 PM
  #8
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but man this stuff is looking bad. Now an official investigation by election officials. Yikes.
This is no surprise and was announced a week ago. Yes this was going to get investigated its a huge contravention of the Alberta contribution rules. The optics are horrible, for both Katz and the PC's that accepted the monies. Its been a zoo at the legislature and open season on the PC's who are defenceless on this topic.

Its amazing how many things Katz can **** up.

Replacement is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 08:50 PM
  #9
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,319
vCash: 500
Unfortunately the Oilers are going to suffer because of this whole mess, it looks like.

This arena project is going to get stuck in quick sand, the Oilers are going to be playing in a **** arena, even the Islanders will have shiny new digs

Soundwave is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 09:26 PM
  #10
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,913
vCash: 1000
here is a wild thought

Northlands refuses to extend the current lease that expires in 2015 I think, that could be interesting

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 09:30 PM
  #11
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
here is a wild thought

Northlands refuses to extend the current lease that expires in 2015 I think, that could be interesting
I can't see that happening. Richard Andersen sounds positively giddy whenever he's asked about the Oilers having to extend the lease.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  #12
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Unfortunately the Oilers are going to suffer because of this whole mess, it looks like.

This arena project is going to get stuck in quick sand, the Oilers are going to be playing in a **** arena, even the Islanders will have shiny new digs
I'm curious to see how Calgary proceeds now. I've read a lot of blogs and articles that suggest that the gears are already turning on their new arena and surprise, surprise... it's being accomplished quietly and painlessly. Edmonton city council and administration had better be paying attention to their progress.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
  #13
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm curious to see how Calgary proceeds now. I've read a lot of blogs and articles that suggest that the gears are already turning on their new arena and surprise, surprise... it's being accomplished quietly and painlessly. Edmonton city council and administration had better be paying attention to their progress.
I would think Katz, not City Council, should be the one paying attention as to how you get things done "quietly & painlessly".
This fiasco is on Katz & no one else.

Billybaroo* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 09:44 PM
  #14
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
I would think Katz, not City Council, should be the one paying attention as to how you get things done "quietly & painlessly".
This fiasco is on Katz & no one else.
I blame Katz too but the city is all alone on this now. Hopefully, they can find a way to get something built... even if it just turns out to be Rexall Version 2.0 with fancier amenities.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
  #15
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm curious to see how Calgary proceeds now. I've read a lot of blogs and articles that suggest that the gears are already turning on their new arena and surprise, surprise... it's being accomplished quietly and painlessly. Edmonton city council and administration had better be paying attention to their progress.
Maybe but their mayor didnt sound all that interested in contributing and specifically stated they dont need to fix their downtown. The political situation isnt that different in Calgary, they wont get public money all that easy.

Halibut is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 10:21 PM
  #16
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Maybe but their mayor didnt sound all that interested in contributing and specifically stated they dont need to fix their downtown. The political situation isnt that different in Calgary, they wont get public money all that easy.
When the time comes they'll have enough private investors who will be eager to chip in.


Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 10-30-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
  #17
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
While we're on the subject, Cowtown needs a new arena even more than we do. The Dome is just as dumpy as Rexall Place and they've been losing out on a lot of major concert acts over the past several years. I think it's primarily the shape of the roof that's causing most of the problems. Bands can't rig lighting and various other pyrotechnics like they can in other buildings.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 10:30 PM
  #18
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,195
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
While we're on the subject, Cowtown needs a new arena even more than we do. The Dome is just as dumpy as Rexall Place and they've been losing out on a lot of major concert acts over the past several years. I think it's primarily the shape of the roof that's causing most of the problems. Bands can't rig lighting and various other pyrotechnics like they can in other buildings.
Doesn't help that its horrible for acoustics.

raab is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
  #19
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014
 
Darnell Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
So... Are we screwed or what?

Darnell Nurse is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 11:00 PM
  #20
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
It's hard to say. City council dilly dallied for four years but it's obvious to everybody and their mother that Katz has dropped the ball in several ways here. If he wants to pick up said ball and go home then, hey, I guess that's up to him. I hope that the NHL won't punish the City of Edmonton for Katz's ridiculous behavior... but hey, it's the NHL so you never know.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 11:11 PM
  #21
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,973
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's hard to say. City council dilly dallied for four years but it's obvious to everybody and their mother that Katz has dropped the ball in several ways here. If he wants to pick up said ball and go home then, hey, I guess that's up to him. I hope that the NHL won't punish the City of Edmonton for Katz's ridiculous behavior... but hey, it's the NHL so you never know.
CC dilly dallied for 4 years to come to the inevitable conclusion that Edmonton needed and wanted an arena, but it's all still on Katz eh?

T-Funk is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 11:21 PM
  #22
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
CC dilly dallied for 4 years to come to the inevitable conclusion that Edmonton needed and wanted an arena, but it's all still on Katz eh?
Where did I say that? Bottomline, Katz's behavior has been bizarre over the past several months. And that's being kind. To paraphrase The Katz Group's letter from September - "As city council knows, we have been looking at several outside options for sometime now."

What?

Every single party is to blame for this fiasco but Katz must shoulder his share. He was apparently quoted as saying that he's frustrated with Edmonton in light of this donation scandal. What? This is primarily The Wildrose Party's witch hunt and they're not even based in this city. Memo to Katz - This is an Alberta issue, not an Edmonton one.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 06:30 AM
  #23
oilphan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This is primarily The Wildrose Party's witch hunt and they're not even based in this city. Memo to Katz - This is an Alberta issue, not an Edmonton one.
I know what you are saying, but it is actually a Daryl Katz issue, not an Edmonton, Alberta, or even a Wild Rose issue. When you are in the public spotlight like Daryl is, you have to be aware that everything you do will be scrutinized. He has simply ignored this fact. He clearly has a huge ego and thinks he is untouchable.

I can't believe he (or whoever his administrator is) was so lazy that he (allegedly) wrote the cheque for the PC's that clearly contravened the maximum donation limits. Even though it was supposed to be coming from several different people. All he needed to do was have all of his people write their own cheques.

The problem is that he just bulldozes ahead without considering the implication of public relations. He could have had the same bottom line and accomplished all of the same things, but had he approached things in a humble and reasonable manner, we would all be in a much different space right now.

I am actually open to his arguments, and feel as a taxpayer that I have the right to hear them. But to be told it is none of my business is just wrong.

oilphan is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 09:04 PM
  #24
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/city-of-e...ions-1.1019628

City of Champs run by chumps

nabob is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 09:17 PM
  #25
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Im sorry, you dont think the City should now look into building the arena themselves?

Billybaroo* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.