HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

[OKC/HOU] James Harden for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations

Old
10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I saw someone on another forum call them Rush Hour.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Damn good article today on Grantland about how the Sonics handed the Western Conference to the Lakers with this trade.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...arden-disaster

Old
10-31-2012, 02:03 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Damn good article today on Grantland about how the Sonics handed the Western Conference to the Lakers with this trade.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...arden-disaster
I read that article earlier today. Good stuff from Simmons.

I feel the same way, they ****ed up.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:54 PM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Well with Westbrooks injury they could have used Harden

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Reality Check

Harden wanted the max. With Westbrook and Durant, they had to make a move.

The bigger mistake in this thread is the article about the Lakers just a few posts ahead.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 675
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
This was a 60 win team that got an unlucky break losing one of their superstar players. Nothing to do with the trade, just an unfortunate break for the Thunder but in sports these things happen and in the NBA it can be particularly damning.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:41 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

It was a bad trade when it was made and it looks even worse now. They gave up a 23 year old who was a top 10 player this season for some question marks. Harden will probably be the best shooting guard in the NBA in two years. Lamb or the 12th pick in this terrible draft better become an all-star for OKC. This has the potential to be one of the worst trades in NBA history.

Thunder are paying an absolutely useless Perkins close to $10M/yr but they cry about money when it comes to paying Harden?

Old
05-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Harden wanted the max. With Westbrook and Durant, they had to make a move.

The bigger mistake in this thread is the article about the Lakers just a few posts ahead.
Not right away. No reason to not keep him for this season on a cheap salary and then deal him/make moves to accomodate his next contract.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:44 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
I read that article earlier today. Good stuff from Simmons.

I feel the same way, they ****ed up.
I know it's old but you and simmons were still horribly wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
Not right away. No reason to not keep him for this season on a cheap salary and then deal him/make moves to accomodate his next contract.
It's still too early. Jeremy Lamb and that Lottery pick from the raptors might turn out. .

aleshemsky83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post

It's still too early. Jeremy Lamb and that Lottery pick from the raptors might turn out. .
Uh wait. How can anyone says this trade has worked out for the Thunder. The pick from the Raptors is a mid lottery pick in a crappy draft. Kevin Martin **** the bed in the playoffs and Lamb isn't a stud.

Thunder screwed up and lost a chance to make it back to the final. They could have kept harden this year, and easily traded him to the Cavs for the 1st pick and Dion Waiters and more. The Cavs would have done it.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:15 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Uh wait. How can anyone says this trade has worked out for the Thunder. The pick from the Raptors is a mid lottery pick in a crappy draft. Kevin Martin **** the bed in the playoffs and Lamb isn't a stud.

Thunder screwed up and lost a chance to make it back to the final. They could have kept harden this year, and easily traded him to the Cavs for the 1st pick and Dion Waiters and more. The Cavs would have done it.
No, they wouldn't. OKC spent a ton of time shopping Harden around and the Rockets deal was the best that they got. If the Cavs weren't willing to pay that high of a price for Harden then, they won't now, as silly as it would be. Also, there may be salary cap implications to the deal that could make it complicated.

At first I thought OKC made out well, but now I think it's a horrible trade, and it's not because of what happened in the playoffs. They downgraded from Harden to Martin for just Lamb and a lottery pick. It's not worth the downgrade seeing the likelihood for Lamb and any lottery pick to bust. I would have just stuck with Harden, even if it meant losing him for nothing.

If OKC can keep Martin long-term, then it becomes a good trade for OKC.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
No, they wouldn't. OKC spent a ton of time shopping Harden around and the Rockets deal was the best that they got. If the Cavs weren't willing to pay that high of a price for Harden then, they won't now, as silly as it would be. Also, there may be salary cap implications to the deal that could make it complicated.

At first I thought OKC made out well, but now I think it's a horrible trade, and it's not because of what happened in the playoffs. They downgraded from Harden to Martin for just Lamb and a lottery pick. It's not worth the downgrade seeing the likelihood for Lamb and any lottery pick to bust. I would have just stuck with Harden, even if it meant losing him for nothing.

If OKC can keep Martin long-term, then it becomes a good trade for OKC.
Cavs are willing to deal this pick for a second star to pair with Irving according to Windhorst of ESPN. Harden would have been the perfect SG to pair with Irving.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:40 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:

Read the title of the article and look at the lakers season on basketball reference the article is a big dud.

The thunders season was a flop. Russel Westbrook Kevin Durant and Serge Ibaka still guarantee them first place again next year even if the Rockets get Dwight Howard.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

Wrong about the Thunder handing the West to the Lakers but 100% correct about this being a terrible trade for the Thunder. One of the worst trades in recent memory.

Martin isn't that good and he's probably gone this offseason. Lamb is young but he was so bad during practice that they couldn't even put him on the court. The NBA draft is a crap shoot anyways and now the Thunder have the 12th pick in a bad draft. A bunch of question marks for one of the best guards in the league.

Old
05-26-2013, 06:31 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Wrong about the Thunder handing the West to the Lakers but 100% correct about this being a terrible trade for the Thunder. One of the worst trades in recent memory.

Martin isn't that good and he's probably gone this offseason. Lamb is young but he was so bad during practice that they couldn't even put him on the court. The NBA draft is a crap shoot anyways and now the Thunder have the 12th pick in a bad draft. A bunch of question marks for one of the best guards in the league.
Actually, Kevin Martin is most likely re-signing, and he's the prototypical sixth man on any championship team.

Old
05-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Actually, Kevin Martin is most likely re-signing, and he's the prototypical sixth man on any championship team.
He sure helped them this season.

Old
05-26-2013, 07:03 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
He sure helped them this season.
He wasn't a six man he pretty much started after Westbrook got injured. you're right though he didn't play well, still they weren't going to get by Memphis even with Harden. It was pretty much a five game sweep. The worst possible matchup, Tayshuan Prince is terrible but he's like an Albino Kevin Durant, the one guy in the nba that can actually matchup with him,(then theres Allen and Gasol). They weren't getting it done against memphis without Westbrook no matter what.

Old
05-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Nalyd Psycho

OKC is in rough shape if they can't improve their bigs.

05-26-2013, 07:56 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
OKC is in rough shape if they can't improve their bigs.
I can't really agree I hate to seem like I'm defending the thunder but nick Collison is an elite post defender and Ibaka is an elite shot blocker than has added a mid range jump shot. The don't need to do much maybe use their pull with morey and take Omer Asik off their hands if and when they sign Dwight.

It really was just a terrible matchup, let's face it Gasol is not a superstar offensively but his 7'1 300+ pound frame gives him a big advantage over almost every big man in the league. That and the fact that once Westbrook went down the could double team Durant with Allen and Prince an it's shades of the spurs the past fours years who kept running into bad matchups with pretty much the same roster they're about to go to the finals with. Sometimes it is just a bad matchup.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

I don't think they're in rough shape at all, I think they'll be at the top of the west or close to it and a regular contender to come out of there for the next 6 or 7 years unless Durant has a personality transplant or Westbrook decides to flee.

When Westbrook went down, that was them done as far as a title this year. Too many people hate on Westbrook.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:00 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
I don't think they're in rough shape at all, I think they'll be at the top of the west or close to it and a regular contender to come out of there for the next 6 or 7 years unless Durant has a personality transplant or Westbrook decides to flee.

When Westbrook went down, that was them done as far as a title this year. Too many people hate on Westbrook.
People are hard on Westbrook, but its warranted. He is just way too erratic at times, and while his absence was huge for OKC in the playoffs, I still dont think they win with him at point. And no, OKC is not in good shape down low. Listing Collison and Ibaka should immediately prove that point.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

I think he gets far too much criticism, he's certainly deserving of some but he's made out to be the terrible side kick holding back the saintly KD. Obviously we can't do much more than speculate on what would have happened for them if Westbrook was playing but I wouldn't be surprised if they were still around. This team won 60 games, losing Westbrook changes everything.

I just can't agree with the suggestion that the Thunder are in bad shape, they made the finals last year, they were the top seed in the West this year and their trio of Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka is enough to have them around that for a long time to come. They can work around that, having those three together puts them in better shape than almost every other team. Even if they returned this same roster back next year they are once again among the favorites.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:15 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
People are hard on Westbrook, but its warranted. He is just way too erratic at times, and while his absence was huge for OKC in the playoffs, I still dont think they win with him at point. And no, OKC is not in good shape down low. Listing Collison and Ibaka should immediately prove that point.
Uhhhh no it shouldn't collison and Ibaka are both outstanding at what they do why don't you explai what you're problem wit them is?

Old
05-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
He wasn't a six man he pretty much started after Westbrook got injured. you're right though he didn't play well, still they weren't going to get by Memphis even with Harden. It was pretty much a five game sweep. The worst possible matchup, Tayshuan Prince is terrible but he's like an Albino Kevin Durant, the one guy in the nba that can actually matchup with him,(then theres Allen and Gasol). They weren't getting it done against memphis without Westbrook no matter what.
HUH?!?! Harden+Durant get by Memphis this year, come on dude. Durant had no help and everygame still went to the wire. Replace Martin with Harden and OKC goes on.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:26 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
HUH?!?! Harden+Durant get by Memphis this year, come on dude. Durant had no help and everygame still went to the wire. Replace Martin with Harden and OKC goes on.
Yeah you're right I'm just talking trash still it was a really bad matchup, and it definitely goes seven even with harden,

I don't know why I'm defending the trade so much it was actually a bad deal but if they had to move the guy then there wasn't a lot of deals out there. Apparently Toronto was not even interested in Harden for valinciunus straigh up