HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 07:28 PM
leaponover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
He's a young man. There's plenty of time for him to get "a shot".
There is always plenty of time, but he will reach a point soon where HE gets to decide who he wants a shot with.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
There is always plenty of time, but he will reach a point soon where HE gets to decide who he wants a shot with.
This is Poulin's 2nd pro season. If the ufa terms remain the same, he is 5 yrs from unrestricted free agency. If the owners succeed in pushing ufa terms back, he's even further away from becoming a ufa.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:27 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Rarely do goalies establish themselves in their early 20's, I'm not worried about Poulin what so ever, he has shown flashes becoming of a quality starting netminder. Remember, he did get knee surgery and has made a full recovery containing his same athleticism.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:07 AM
OlTimeHockey

Poulin is athletic, not ready but fast and young and exciting so he's gotta play right now? Is that the gist of what I'm reading?

Or are we talking about Nino, Rick, Bertuzzi, Lindros or some other can't miss kid that learned all he could at the lower level he was in at some point in time?

If he gets to be 100% ready and great but it takes two years, would it be horrible we lost out on risking stunting his growth and losing out on some horrible bumps i the road just so we could have a great performing goalie? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think waiting for Christmas makes the presents more special. But that's just me. (if that's the sentiment I have been guessing in some posts)

Old
10-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Poulin is athletic, not ready but fast and young and exciting so he's gotta play right now? Is that the gist of what I'm reading?

Or are we talking about Nino, Rick, Bertuzzi, Lindros or some other can't miss kid that learned all he could at the lower level he was in at some point in time?

If he gets to be 100% ready and great but it takes two years, would it be horrible we lost out on risking stunting his growth and losing out on some horrible bumps i the road just so we could have a great performing goalie? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think waiting for Christmas makes the presents more special. But that's just me. (if that's the sentiment I have been guessing in some posts)
well, unless waiver rules.change, if in two years we are not playing him in the NHL, we have to expose him to waivers. which means he has hit a serious wall in development, or we lose him for nothing. so yeah, it would kind of suck if it takes two years for him to make it to the NHL.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:25 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
well, unless waiver rules.change, if in two years we are not playing him in the NHL, we have to expose him to waivers. which means he has hit a serious wall in development, or we lose him for nothing. so yeah, it would kind of suck if it takes two years for him to make it to the NHL.
what type of waivers would we have to place poulin on in order to bring him up to the big club? never heard of entry waivers...

Old
10-31-2012, 10:30 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
there are a lot of goalies that have potential, that don't develop the way many had hoped, and are exposed (sometimes lost) to waivers. It's the nature of the position and how long it takes to learn it. It's similar on defense - Wishart being a NYI example who was on waivers last year.

Justin Pogge was a star for Team Canada in junior but struggled with the Leafs/Marlies, eventually traded and doesn't look like he's going to be a pro. There are many more examples.

I'm not worried about losing a player who doesn't prove to be "good enough" - it's the nature of the business. Trying to develop players and determining when to hold'em and when to fold'em is what the GM is accountable for. It's impossible to "get it right" all the time. Sometimes it lands us Schremp, Grabner and sometimes we'll lose out.

On Poulin, he's got time, he's been hurt as well, he's looked really good for the most part, has looked equally bad at others.

My only issue with the way the NYI handle their goalies is that they don't get enough playing time. Nilsson, Koskinen and Poulin should all be starting goal-tenders somewhere. Too often, over the past couple of years, the NYI were trying to squeeze six goalies on two rosters - NYI/BP.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:14 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
there are a lot of goalies that have potential, that don't develop the way many had hoped, and are exposed (sometimes lost) to waivers. It's the nature of the position and how long it takes to learn it. It's similar on defense - Wishart being a NYI example who was on waivers last year.

Justin Pogge was a star for Team Canada in junior but struggled with the Leafs/Marlies, eventually traded and doesn't look like he's going to be a pro. There are many more examples.

I'm not worried about losing a player who doesn't prove to be "good enough" - it's the nature of the business. Trying to develop players and determining when to hold'em and when to fold'em is what the GM is accountable for. It's impossible to "get it right" all the time. Sometimes it lands us Schremp, Grabner and sometimes we'll lose out.

On Poulin, he's got time, he's been hurt as well, he's looked really good for the most part, has looked equally bad at others.

My only issue with the way the NYI handle their goalies is that they don't get enough playing time. Nilsson, Koskinen and Poulin should all be starting goal-tenders somewhere. Too often, over the past couple of years, the NYI were trying to squeeze six goalies on two rosters - NYI/BP.
Yes many examples, even Al Montoya...

Mike Smith was horrible for Tampa Bay, my uncle complained about him all the time. I lived in Houston and he played for the Aeros and we used to call him 4 goal Smith because he gave up 4 goals pretty much every game. So yeah, my point out of this is not to rush the kid, but to make sure you are in a position to hold on to him and see if he is NHL ready before he just gets lost in the fold and ends up as a stud for somebody else. That's all I'm saying. The first guy to reply to me was the one who made it seem like I was saying trade him or call him up when the brunt of my comment was really just remarking how impressed I was with him in the highlights I have seen from the Bridge this season. Somebody else said he had a bad glove hand and was out of position a lot so it makes him look athletic but the highlights I saw he was robbing people with his glove hand left and right. Ok, well maybe just his left.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
what type of waivers would we have to place poulin on in order to bring him up to the big club? never heard of entry waivers...
If he's not in the NHL in two years, he would need to clear waivers to be assigned to the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

If the kid shows he doesn't have what it takes to stick in the NHL and we lose him to waivers, that doesn't really bother me. It happens. That said, the notion of him being 100% ready and great, but we lose him to waivers rather than giving him a chance to show what he can do in the NHL? Well, that would kind of suck.

I get the idea of taking time with players and not rushing them, but at the same, don't agree that there's this unlimited timeframe for figuring out if a kid has what it takes to make it in the NHL, especially when kids get into the 22-23 age range and are running out of waiver options. At some point, if you remain high on a kid, you need to give him a chance to prove whether or not he's NHL ready. If he's not and we lose him, no biggie. If we sour on him and we lose him, again, no biggie. But losing him to waivers because we just wanted to wait longer before giving him a chance? To me, that's mismanagement.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
NYI78

in wake of the hurricane the sound tigers announced that both games are free to the public this weekeend.. i hope that some of you can come up!!

Old
11-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

I got one of the last remaining tickets. There were less than 20 left on TicketMaster and I got 2 of them. Section 107 row b.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Games are free to the public??? Good stuff...

But are they to be streamed free-of-charge?

Old
11-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

TicketMaster didnt give them away, the Webster Bank Arena box office did. I just bought it online so my friend and I could go. I already had one free ticket waiting for me through the Islanders sales' office (best friend's dad is a season ticket holder who got hooked up -- he didn't have to wait in line at 10am, which works well seeing as how he is on LI -- and he got me a free ticket).

Old
11-03-2012, 01:30 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
emergency recall.....no waivers. Goalies take longer, sometimes much longer (Thomas, Hasek) but it's gotta be planned that way otherwise we're just going to minimize their development.

When he's ready, he can sign a one way and stay up all year. Until then, he's only a phone call away when injuries happen unless.....we call him up because one of our goalies (2021) sucks. Thankfully, that usually comes with long term injury. We don't have much worry, then.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:21 PM
luki here

i bought the neulion ahl 10 game package recently and was really pissed off about the poor quality. On those free streamed first two games i realised how poor the quality is, but if you paid for it its more agravating!

Anyways, today the quality is incredibly improved to nearly gamecenter standards. Picture quality still changes often, but it totally changed my tune about the ahl video service. Actually happy i paid for that package tonite.

all the best!

Old
11-03-2012, 07:24 PM
luki here

cizikas just dropped the gloves in the ahl the first time...

and didnt throw a single punch! Taking on the pain to defend nino

must have been nasty for casey

Old
11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

The Okposo approach to fighting

Old
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Just saw the boxscore, looks like a good win 3-2. Nino with 2 assists and Nelson with 1g 1a. Very nice.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

Surprised Ceeker seems tough

Old
11-03-2012, 09:10 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
interesting stat line...bport wins but not a single player in the + column...all goals scored on pp.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:18 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

To anyone who saw or attending the game, how did they look tonight?

Old
11-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post55503149

Part II is up and open.