HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What prospects are you starting to lose faith in

View Poll Results: What prospects are you starting to LOSE faith in
Paajarvi, Magnus 42 26.92%
VandeVelde, Chris 45 28.85%
Plante, Alex 107 68.59%
Teubert, Colten 38 24.36%
Fedun, Taylor 16 10.26%
Arcobello, Mark 45 28.85%
Pitlick, Tyler 15 9.62%
Hamilton, Curtis 61 39.10%
Lander, Anton 39 25.00%
Martindale, Ryan 27 17.31%
Marincin, Martin 1 0.64%
Rajala, Toni 82 52.56%
Roy, Olivier 7 4.49%
Bunz, Tyler 2 1.28%
Davidson, Brandon 20 12.82%
Abney, Cameron 69 44.23%
Cornet, Philippe 67 42.95%
Tyrvainen, Antti 36 23.08%
Pelss, Kristians 18 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2012, 03:43 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Rajala is garbage, Plante isn't even an average AHL player this year, etc. So those guys are pretty much down the road ASAP and off my 50 contract limit in a hurry if I was the GM.

Cause for concern: Lander and especially Hamilton. Lander at least brings chippyness and defensive play when his offense isn't there, Hamilton has been a fixture on a putrid PK, cannot even beat out guys like Pelss on a day to day basis for playing time despite having a year pro on him as well as size and draft pedigree. IMO he needs at least a half season in the ECHL to get tons of ice and get his swagger back or he might be labeled a bust before you know it.

10-31-2012, 03:53 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
That train has left the station with Plante already. Dude sucks.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Even before he turned the suck up to level 10 his mobility was crippling to a potential NHL career. He is a tough kid that will fight when needed, but we haven't seen much in terms of physicality from him this year either.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:26 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Even before he turned the suck up to level 10 his mobility was crippling to a potential NHL career. He is a tough kid that will fight when needed, but we haven't seen much in terms of physicality from him this year either.
sadly that is true. According to some it is partly due to injuries he suffered his last two years of junior

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Plante I don't even consider a prospect anymore so I didn't vote for him.. He just won't make it anyway you slice it, that much is obvious.

Prospects I'm most worried about are Hamilton and MPS.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Roof Daddy

I will agree its Hamilton. I thought he'd be an ideal 3rd liner, sort of an Ethan Moreau with more offence and less dumb penalties. When I'd use this comparison on the prospects board, a very astute poster by the name of Renegade Stylings (who actually covers Saskatoon Blades games) assured me that was the low end of his potential, and that he could be a top 6 guy in the NHL. I kind of bought in after seeing him in the WJC, as he looked like a heady player (though nothing else appeared dynamic about him). I haven't watched him play since turning pro, but the numbers certainly don't look good, nor do the reviews from some of you. What happened?

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Funny thing, at the time the pick was made, it was a big reach.

The Oiler management continuing to go off the board every year, rather than taking the BPA, has hurt this teams development more than anything. Well, maybe next to bad trades .... which the Oilers are good at.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:35 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I had high hopes for Hamilton when he was drafted, and he hasn't impressed at all so far in his pro career. Guys like Rajala & Plante also won't go anywhere, but for myself personally, I never had any high expectations for them to begin with.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:52 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Funny thing, at the time the pick was made, it was a big reach.

The Oiler management continuing to go off the board every year, rather than taking the BPA, has hurt this teams development more than anything. Well, maybe next to bad trades .... which the Oilers are good at.
Well they turned one of those bad 1st rounders into Martin Marincin, which I think we could all agree is a solid defensive prospect.

You're disdain for the franchise never fails to amuse me.

As for as prospects I'm losing faith in? It's guys who haven't shown anything in pro despite being drafted 3 and 4 years ago.

Kyle Bigos (though I'm pretty sure he was let go), Johan Motin (who is junk) and Tony Rajala

However, if we're going to feel the need to throw recent prospects under the bus, why not go with John McCarron for only having 1 point in 2 games, or Martin Gernat for the gall of being hurt since the start of the season...or something.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sam Gagner.
If he comes in next year faster than ever (or as fast as he was in pre-season last year), is over 50% on the dot, and puts up like 60 points while not bleeding goals against - would you be happy to keep him as our 2C, or are you too far down the hate path to ever return?

I'm not a Gagner super-fan, but I really just don't see him as being anywhere close to the biggest problem on this team. He was 2nd on the team in ES points and closing in on 50% on the dot. He has certainly been better than thecaptainshawnhorcoff these last few years, yet I see more hate towards this 23 year old kid than our over the hill black hole of suck cream puff captain - I don't get it.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:07 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Do I vote a player even though I had no faith in the beginning with him?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:12 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
If he comes in next year faster than ever (or as fast as he was in pre-season last year), is over 50% on the dot, and puts up like 60 points while not bleeding goals against - would you be happy to keep him as our 2C, or are you too far down the hate path to ever return?

I'm not a Gagner super-fan, but I really just don't see him as being anywhere close to the biggest problem on this team. He was 2nd on the team in ES points and closing in on 50% on the dot. He has certainly been better than thecaptainshawnhorcoff these last few years, yet I see more hate towards this 23 year old kid than our over the hill black hole of suck cream puff captain - I don't get it.
If I had a nickel for every pre-season 60pt prediction for Sam Gagner I could build the new arena myself.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't mind Abney right now.

He's progressing decently and doing a good job of becoming what he was drafted to be.

You can't really blame him for not living up to being a 3rd round pick. That's the scouting department's fault, not his.
I put that on management.

It was a huge reach that he'd ever become anything more than an enforcer, so why waste time developing a guy that you can sign for nothing that is established? Did we not learn how easy it is to find guys that can actually fight?

Old
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
joestevens29

One guy that a lot of people write off who I think will make the show is VV. Coaches seem to love the guy and while he isn't flashy at all, I could see him becoming a 4th line center one day.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I put that on management.

It was a huge reach that he'd ever become anything more than an enforcer, so why waste time developing a guy that you can sign for nothing that is established? Did we not learn how easy it is to find guys that can actually fight?
Do you have a list of names?

Unlike some of the athletically challenged people here commenting on the uselessness of having guys on your team that can be a physical deterrent, ex-players like Lowe have seen first hand how important having a Semenko or a Dave Brown on your team can be.

If it were up to some people here we would draft nothing but Toni Rajala's and Rocco Grimaldi's.

Then these same people scream blue murder when nobody does anything about Regehr running over Hemsky over and over again.

It's quite sad actually.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
If I had a nickel for every pre-season 60pt prediction for Sam Gagner I could build the new arena myself.
First off, it wasn't a prediction - it was a question. Second - you didn't answer my question.

I'll ask another way: What would Gagner need to do as a minimum to get in your good graces?

Personally I'd love to upgrade from Gagner to someone like Getzlaf, or Backes, but I just don't see Gagner being as big of a problem to this team as a hack like thecaptainshawnhorcoff.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:31 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
If I had a nickel every time you made that analogy, I would prolly have 15 cents at least.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Do you have a list of names?

Unlike some of the athletically challenged people here commenting on the uselessness of having guys on your team that can be a physical deterrent, ex-players like Lowe have seen first hand how important having a Semenko or a Dave Brown on your team can be.

If it were up to some people here we would draft nothing but Toni Rajala's and Rocco Grimaldi's.

Then these same people scream blue murder when nobody does anything about Regehr running over Hemsky over and over again.

It's quite sad actually.
Steve Macintyre. If you are drafting a Cameron Abney you are wasting your time.

Eric Godard was on waivers was he not? Laraque has been looking for work. How about the numerous guys that are at least in the AHL?

Old
10-31-2012, 09:42 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Steve Macintyre. If you are drafting a Cameron Abney you are wasting your time.

Eric Godard was on waivers was he not? Laraque has been looking for work. How about the numerous guys that are at least in the AHL?
None of those guys can play hockey.

How many times have you seen Abney play?

Old
10-31-2012, 09:51 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
First off, it wasn't a prediction - it was a question. Second - you didn't answer my question.

I'll ask another way: What would Gagner need to do as a minimum to get in your good graces?

Personally I'd love to upgrade from Gagner to someone like Getzlaf, or Backes, but I just don't see Gagner being as big of a problem to this team as a hack like thecaptainshawnhorcoff.
Gagner would only have to show consistent development from year to year. He hasnt done that. That is why Im down on Gagner. That and the fact he doesnt contribute in other areas if he is not scoring, and he goes on long dry spells. He is a streaky scorer. A lot of points in a few games, then nothing for ten games.

He has done that over and over again. So if he isnt scoring consistently, then he should be hitting, winning puck battles, winning face offs, contributing on the pk or defensively, but he doesnt really do any of those things.

You can bring up his improved defensive numbers from last year and I can show how he had one of the very worst GA/60 in the entire league the year before, so where does the truth lie? I dont think he has improved his strength, size, speed, shot or really much of anything from his rookie year. If anything, he has regressed imo.

So you can waive 60pts around all you want, fact is he has never even hit 50. So lets assume he will get you somewhere between 40-50pts a year. That is reality. And that is ok, as long as you are bringing other stuff to the table. If all you are bringing to the table is offense, then 40-50pts a year makes you a fringe player in the top six.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Well they turned one of those bad 1st rounders into Martin Marincin, which I think we could all agree is a solid defensive prospect.

You're disdain for the franchise never fails to amuse me.

As for as prospects I'm losing faith in? It's guys who haven't shown anything in pro despite being drafted 3 and 4 years ago.

Kyle Bigos (though I'm pretty sure he was let go), Johan Motin (who is junk) and Tony Rajala

However, if we're going to feel the need to throw recent prospects under the bus, why not go with John McCarron for only having 1 point in 2 games, or Martin Gernat for the gall of being hurt since the start of the season...or something.
We still have Bigos. His stock is on the rise actually. 17 points in 35 games last year with 125 PIMs. Plus he's 6.05 and 230. He's no friendly giant. I can see him being a bottom pairing guy that can play a regular shift, lay out some hits and knock some teeth out. He'll need some AHL time, but he'll make it before Rajala does. Motin is the guy who we already let go.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
None of those guys can play hockey.

How many times have you seen Abney play?
If he was that good he'd be getting more than ECHL action, especially considering how much a need that we have for a player that can play in fight in the AHL.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:37 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Drew Czerwonka. This retirement thing really puts a hamper on his standing in the prospect pool.

10-31-2012, 10:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
We still have Bigos. His stock is on the rise actually. 17 points in 35 games last year with 125 PIMs. Plus he's 6.05 and 230. He's no friendly giant. I can see him being a bottom pairing guy that can play a regular shift, lay out some hits and knock some teeth out. He'll need some AHL time, but he'll make it before Rajala does. Motin is the guy who we already let go.
I remember the hype around Motin, when he came over how a bit in the AHL and he'd be good to play a defensive role on the NHL squad. In hindsight I wonder if it was a mistake bringing him over so soon. Just seems he was sick of the AHL and that if he was brought over say this year instead of 09-10 that maybe he would've developed the way they thought.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Drew Czerwonka. This retirement thing really puts a hamper on his standing in the prospect pool.
I gained faith in him when he made the smart decision that lots of players take much longer to figure out.