HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly Vs Jaden Schwartz + Roman Polak

Old
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
letmesleep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
You go with whomever you feel is the best player on either side.

Blues would rather keep Schwartz because they already have good 2-way players but don't currently have a 70+ healthy point producer which Schwartz might be.

Avs rather go with O'Reilly because he's the more proven of the two talents and it's an necessary risk.
Actually, if it was just Schwartz for O'Reilly, I think I'd make the deal. I just don't think the difference is worth Polak.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Polak is severely underrated. He is just a damn good player and strong as an ox.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
Actually, if it was just Schwartz for O'Reilly, I think I'd make the deal. I just don't think the difference is worth Polak.
Agreed. If it was Schwartz for RoR straight up, I would make the deal as well.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:51 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I can definitely see O'Reilly contend for the Selke year in and out in the future, the only problem is he plays on the same team as Landeskog who is almost as good as defensively but more hyped. Very surprised that he was named captain over O'Reilly but I guess it was because of contract talks

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Jaden is a very good player but guys like Ryan win you cups.
Same with guys like Polak

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Undoubtedly. The Avs would be out of their minds though to trade someone like O'Reilly though for a prospect like Schwartz, no matter how good. I don't think there is any deal to be made here. Avs would not even accept the OP, and Blues fans clearly want to hang on to Polak and Schwartz.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:59 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
That is aboustely terrible for us then.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Undoubtedly. The Avs would be out of their minds though to trade someone like O'Reilly though for a prospect like Schwartz, no matter how good. I don't think there is any deal to be made here. Avs would not even accept the OP, and Blues fans clearly want to hang on to Polak and Schwartz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
That is aboustely terrible for us then.
No there isn't a deal to be made here agreed. I wouldn't accept the deal for just Schwartz if I was the Avs either.

Is fun to think about fantasy deals like these though, especially when the value is decent.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
No there isn't a deal to be made here agreed. I wouldn't accept the deal for just Schwartz if I was the Avs either.

Is fun to think about fantasy deals like these though, especially when the value is decent.
I was trying to be polite. The value from the Avs is not close at all. This fills zero needs and we have zero interest. There is nothing to discuss.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:03 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Avalanche say thanks, but no thanks.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
I was trying to be polite. The value from the Avs is not close at all. This fills zero needs and we have zero interest. There is nothing to discuss.
Fair enough.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:08 AM
Oshie97

Both teams are better of keeping their own players in this one, I like the return but Polak is important to our d and Jaden is looking like hell become a very solid NHLer. Imo we need a partner for Petro more than a center as Backes, Berglund, Steen, Sobotka/Nicol can handle the job just fine.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:30 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
One of the few trades I'd take as a Blues fan... Avs wouldn't do it tho

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Think of how you guys value Backes, now apply that value to O'Reilly. Do you trade Backes for Schwartz + Polak's equivalent on another team?

O'Reilly is steadily improving each year and I don't see it being a far cry to compare him to Backes in most aspects of their games (minus physicality, but we've got the two-headed monster of Lando + ROR, so Landeskog brings the pain).

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Think of how you guys value Backes, now apply that value to O'Reilly. Do you trade Backes for Schwartz + Polak's equivalent on another team?

O'Reilly is steadily improving each year and I don't see it being a far cry to compare him to Backes in most aspects of their games (minus physicality, but we've got the two-headed monster of Lando + ROR, so Landeskog brings the pain).
Backes is our captain, and a consistent two way player for years. O'Reilly is a player who has had one good season, it's not exactly the same. I understand that O'Reilly is valuable to the avs, but not as much as Backes.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Backes is our captain, and a consistent two way player for years. O'Reilly is a player who has had one good season, it's not exactly the same. I understand that O'Reilly is valuable to the avs, but not as much as Backes.
Our expectations of him in the future is much like how you see Backes now. O'Reilly is still much younger, but he's already demonstrated the ability to play defensive hockey at the level of Backes and shows much promise offensively.

To trade him for less would be foolish for us. I'm sure you can understand that viewpoint, just as if St. Louis let Backes go to Vancouver before he fully matured into the player he is today.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:03 AM
MajorPain

When I posted this, all I cared about was value and I tried to take everything into consideration.

O'Reilly could very likely become a ''Backes'' type of guy but he's hasn't proven it on the long run yet so his value can't be considered at that same level.

Schwartz has some pretty good potential and a very high hockey IQ. Some are concerned with his size but I'm pretty confident this guy can put up 60+ points per year.

This is pretty much why I included Polak in there, as Schwartz, even though he has a higher ceiling in terms of production, isn't there yet and O'Reilly has soo many other intangibles.

MajorPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Foppa

O'Reilly isn't as big or strong as Backes but is a better playmaker imo. The intensity, leadership, work ethic and all-around game is similar. I'd agree he needs a few more years before he can be compared to Backes though. I don't think any Avs fan would say O'Reilly is a better player than Backes right at this moment...Backes, when you take into account everything he brings, is an elite player. The arguement is simply that ROR is going to have that kind of value to our franchise moving forward.

That said, I'd say value wise, there's nothing wrong with this package even if 99.9% of us Avs fans would politely decline. In fact, who knows - JS could develop into such a dynamic player that 5 years from now, the Blues wouldn't even consider this. And Polak is an outstanding and underrated defensive defenseman. But we know we have a rare gem in ROR.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
I like this deal, but the Blues can't afford to trade defensemen right now. Can we hold for a year or two until Haakanpaa or Ponich is ready for that spot? Please?

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Our expectations of him in the future is much like how you see Backes now. O'Reilly is still much younger, but he's already demonstrated the ability to play defensive hockey at the level of Backes and shows much promise offensively.

To trade him for less would be foolish for us. I'm sure you can understand that viewpoint, just as if St. Louis let Backes go to Vancouver before he fully matured into the player he is today.
Also, IMO O'Reilly's trade value goes down just because of the amount of centers in Colorado.

I'm not saying the original trade is something the avs should accept, it's just not as ridiculous as some fans are saying it is.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Also, IMO O'Reilly's trade value goes down just because of the amount of centers in Colorado.

I'm not saying the original trade is something the avs should accept, it's just not as ridiculous as some fans are saying it is.
Was Staal's value lower because Pittsburgh had a lot of centers?

We're not trying to be ridiculous. This is pretty relaxed for Avs fans considering what we've been offered before. We're just not inclined to agree to a trade in which we feel we're taking on a lot of risk when we've got a known asset in O'Reilly that is progressing very well, has chemistry with our Captain and looks like a future Selke winner.

We're talking about a 21 year old 3rd year center that led the league in takeaways, takeaways to giveaways ratio, was 27th in faceoff percentage while being 10th in overall taken. He led our team in points and was pretty consistently a threat offensively for most of the season.

While I'm not telling you that objectively another team should pay for him as if he were at Backes' level, I'm telling you we shouldn't trade him for anything less because we'd probably lose the trade. Schwartz + Polak is a nice package, but there's really very little in the league that would interest us in trading O'Reilly. So it's not a slight on the Blues players involved, it's our overall opinion of O'Reilly that makes it an easy no for Avs fans.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Value is there, O'Reilly is just one of those untouchables.

Schwartz is very important to our future with McDonald being near the end, and Polak is very under-appreciated around here, so even though O'Reilly would fit like a glove, it is still tough to go through with. If we at least had a decent replacement for Polak, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Was Staal's value lower because Pittsburgh had a lot of centers?

We're not trying to be ridiculous. This is pretty relaxed for Avs fans considering what we've been offered before. We're just not inclined to agree to a trade in which we feel we're taking on a lot of risk when we've got a known asset in O'Reilly that is progressing very well, has chemistry with our Captain and looks like a future Selke winner.

We're talking about a 21 year old 3rd year center that led the league in takeaways, takeaways to giveaways ratio, was 27th in faceoff percentage while being 10th in overall taken. He led our team in points and was pretty consistently a threat offensively for most of the season.

While I'm not telling you that objectively another team should pay for him as if he were at Backes' level, I'm telling you we shouldn't trade him for anything less because we'd probably lose the trade. Schwartz + Polak is a nice package, but there's really very little in the league that would interest us in trading O'Reilly. So it's not a slight on the Blues players involved, it's our overall opinion of O'Reilly that makes it an easy no for Avs fans.
Yeah, I would say Staal would have brought in more had he been their top centre...

Old
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Yeah, I would say Staal would have brought in more had he been their top centre...
O'Reilly is 3rd on our depth chart.

Stastny - Duchene - O'Reilly - Mitchell

But just like Staal, received top 6 minutes due to his performance. Stastny is still the best center on our team.

Also, if I'm coming off rude I apologize. I'm just bored at work and looking for a good discussion to be honest.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

For discussion sake, what center is most available and what would it take?

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote