HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

vCash: 814
Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part V

Continue!

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
10-31-2012, 06:38 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Not by what I have seen. Gaunce was a slider. TSN had him at 20. TSR had him at 14. THW even had him as high as 9th! Even among the many mocks on this board, I rarely saw him dip below 20.

He definitely fell. As did Jensen. As did Schroeder. All were BPAs at the time (Schroeder was ranked 14th by TSN).

Rather than getting into the analysis of risers vs fallers, I'm just going to wait until Schroeder gets a shot at the NHL level... It's just odd seeing a player with a high hockey IQ, speed, hustle and playmaking struggle to put up points. Something isn't adding up here.
It's strange, but he's not getting nearly enough shots on net for a player of his calibre. All the good players at this level aren't afraid to let it go (as seen with Kassian). He's had chances, he's just been rather unlucky early on. IMO he just needs to keep going at it and play the percentages, basically.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It's strange, but he's not getting nearly enough shots on net for a player of his calibre. All the good players at this level aren't afraid to let it go (as seen with Kassian). He's had chances, he's just been rather unlucky early on. IMO he just needs to keep going at it and play the percentages, basically.
We don't have a surplus of good finishers on the Wolves, just as we didn't on the Moose. Guys like Grabner, Hodgson, and even Kassian will do fine there as they create opportunities for themselves and aren't affraid to shoot. Schroeder on the other hand is instead dishing the puck rather than shooting, and he just isn't getting the results on the score card. The question is, if he were playing with better players, would he be getting more assists? The obvious answer is yes, but how many more? While I agree that Schroeder probably needs to shoot more, I wouldn't expect a playmaking center to adapt his game to fit in at the AHL level. I think we need to see how Schroeder plays in the NHL with NHL calibur players before we judge him too harshly.

My gut tells me that Schroeder may not make it in the NHL in the long run. Small centers rarely do unless they can really create offense. Schroeder needs to get a shot, that way we can know if he has it in him.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:44 AM
medhatcanuck

I hope Schroeder starts really working his PKing/Faceoff/defensive play. He needs to consider his environment, because honestly if he put his energies into being a shutdown guy, which I know he isn't he might have a crack at the Canucks. And realistically that's the only center position be could play (3C).

Schroeder if your reading this wake up! Canucks need a 3C and your trying to make the NHL as a center. Make the connection.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
I hope Schroeder starts really working his PKing/Faceoff/defensive play. He needs to consider his environment, because honestly if he put his energies into being a shutdown guy, which I know he isn't he might have a crack at the Canucks. And realistically that's the only center position be could play (3C).

Schroeder if your reading this wake up! Canucks need a 3C and your trying to make the NHL as a center. Make the connection.
I disagree, nobody wants to roll with a midget checking centre. This kid needs to figure out how to contribute offensively without being a liability. He doesn't stick in the show if he can't put up numbers.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
He's the Wolves best defensive centre as it is... I don't know how much more work he can put into his defensive play in the AHL. Pretty sure he's also well above 50% on the faceoff dot, at least from what I've tracked in a few games.

Discussing points right now is a bit of a waste of time. Kassian leads the team and he's only at 5 points to Schroeder's 3. Considering Schroeder had some bad luck on waived off goals, people missing empty nets, etc. I don't know that it's much to worry about.

He needs to start shooting more, especially when he's not paired with Kassian. The assists are clearly not going to come because there's just not enough finishers down there. Plus Haydar decided to suddenly regress this season which is not helping things.

Also, Arniel needs to figure out the PP. It's been horrible and his messing with it is not helping. First game they looked so smooth, then he changed it up and since then it has just been an unmitigated disaster. I mean he has even tried Schroeder and Haydar on the point now... come on!

Last edited by Tiranis: 10-31-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old
10-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Discussing points right now is a bit of a waste of time.
Yeah, 3pts in an 8 game stretch isn't a big deal, just looks bad when it happens early. The games I've watched Schroeder has looked really good with the puck on his stick but hasn't had it on his stick nearly enough. Probably has more to do with how poorly the defence played in those games than anything Schroeder did or didn't do.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Yeah, 3pts in an 8 game stretch isn't a big deal, just looks bad when it happens early. The games I've watched Schroeder has looked really good with the puck on his stick but hasn't had it on his stick nearly enough. Probably has more to do with how poorly the defence played in those games than anything Schroeder did or didn't do.
I'm starting to wonder if Arniel is as good of a coach as we all used to think. He has been completely unable to make the defense work. Most of the time the breakouts are either off the glass or too slow so the forwards have nowhere to go. The rest of the time it's a turnover. The transition game right now is a complete disaster.

I think it was last game that the Wolves announcers were mentioning giveaways and I believe there were 15 or 20 by the defensemen in 1 period. That's nowhere close to acceptable.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if Arniel is as good of a coach as we all used to think. He has been completely unable to make the defense work. Most of the time the breakouts are either off the glass or too slow so the forwards have nowhere to go. The rest of the time it's a turnover. The transition game right now is a complete disaster.

I think it was last game that the Wolves announcers were mentioning giveaways and I believe there were 15 or 20 by the defensemen in 1 period. That's nowhere close to acceptable.
I don't know that you can throw all the blame at Arniel. I see two puck movers on the team and they're also the only guys he can use as a "shutdown" pair. That team is lacking talent on the back end imo.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:58 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
We don't have a surplus of good finishers on the Wolves, just as we didn't on the Moose. Guys like Grabner, Hodgson, and even Kassian will do fine there as they create opportunities for themselves and aren't affraid to shoot. Schroeder on the other hand is instead dishing the puck rather than shooting, and he just isn't getting the results on the score card. The question is, if he were playing with better players, would he be getting more assists? The obvious answer is yes, but how many more? While I agree that Schroeder probably needs to shoot more, I wouldn't expect a playmaking center to adapt his game to fit in at the AHL level. I think we need to see how Schroeder plays in the NHL with NHL calibur players before we judge him too harshly.
Agreed. He's had chances, but he's had linemates do questionable things at times which has prevented him from bagging a few more points, which is why some people were getting on his case earlier. Like Tiranis said, when you factor that in plus the difference between JS and Kassian's totals is only 2 points, you can probably just chalk it up to bad luck. But he still needs to keep shooting it regardless.

Quote:
He's the Wolves best defensive centre as it is... I don't know how much more work he can put into his defensive play in the AHL. Pretty sure he's also well above 50% on the faceoff dot, at least from what I've tracked in a few games.

Discussing points right now is a bit of a waste of time. Kassian leads the team and he's only at 5 points to Schroeder's 3. Considering Schroeder had some bad luck on waived off goals, people missing empty nets, etc. I don't know that it's much to worry about.

He needs to start shooting more, especially when he's not paired with Kassian. The assists are clearly not going to come because there's just not enough finishers down there. Plus Haydar decided to suddenly regress this season which is not helping things.

Also, Arniel needs to figure out the PP. It's been horrible and his messing with it is not helping. First game they looked so smooth, then he changed it up and since then it has just been an unmitigated disaster. I mean he has even tried Schroeder and Haydar on the point now... come on!
I haven't seen him be put with Kassian nearly enough for my liking, but agree that he needs to adapt to his environment and be a little more selfish when linemates can't finish for him. Also, do you remember what the PP unit was in the first game? Wasn't it Rodin - Schroeder - Kassian up front with Connauton and Tanev?

Last edited by vanuck: 10-31-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old
10-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I haven't seen him be put with Kassian nearly enough for my liking, but agree that he needs to adapt to his environment and be a little more selfish when linemates can't finish for him. Also, do you remember what the PP unit was in the first game? Wasn't it Rodin - Schroeder - Kassian up front with Connauton and Tanev?
Can't remember exactly, but yeah it was something like that. They were moving the puck incredibly well, just met a hot goalie. Since then they haven't had another PP as a unit.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:02 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:

this is what I've been hoping to see, hopefully spark Rodin a bit. I am really high on him and have been dissapointed with what I've seen from him so far, it's still too early though

Old
11-02-2012, 07:34 PM
stevecanuck16

Game against Rockford tonight, 5PM PST.

PM me for a stream (have already found one, let's just hope it actually works this time.)

Games against the Ice Hogs are usually good. Hoping for some Kassian beast mode and really hope Mallet is in.

Let's go, Wolves!

Old
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Game against Rockford tonight, 5PM PST.

PM me for a stream (have already found one, let's just hope it actually works this time.)

Games against the Ice Hogs are usually good. Hoping for some Kassian beast mode and really hope Mallet is in.

Let's go, Wolves!
‏@theshaves
Wolves will start Eddie lack in goal...5 lineup changes In: Sauve Tanev Miller Ebbett & Mallet out: Miskovic Rodin Longpre Haydar & Matheson

ur in luck on Mallet

Old
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
windflare

In: Sauve Tanev Miller Ebbett & Mallet

Out: Miskovic Rodin Longpre Haydar & Matheson

Old
11-02-2012, 07:49 PM
stevecanuck16

Where does this leave Friesen?

Old
11-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Moore Money

Sweatt has some wheels

Old
11-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Tiranis

Wow, that was a beautiful feed by Schroeder to Gordon for a goal. Amazing assist from behind the net.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:12 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

nice pass from Schroeder to Gordon for a goal

Old
11-02-2012, 08:13 PM
orcatown

Great work by Sweatt and nice feed by Schroeder

Old
11-02-2012, 08:16 PM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Wow, that was a beautiful feed by Schroeder to Gordon for a goal. Amazing assist from behind the net.
Shades of Hank Sedin.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:17 PM
orcatown

Connauton did very good work on PK showing much better coverage

Old
11-02-2012, 08:18 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
good to hear about Schroeder!

Last edited by LPH: 11-02-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 08:19 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

I'm starting to like Gordon, Mr 4% bodyfat

Old
11-02-2012, 08:21 PM
orcatown

Schroeder needs to be better on face offs in his own end however

Closed Thread