HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Guelph Storm 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2012, 01:09 AM
stormtracker

vCash: 500
I saw two interesting games this weekend. In the first Guelph played most of a fast game against Owen Sound but had two late letdowns at the end whereby no one was in position or watching their man which cost them the game. The second was in London where Garret Sparks was steady and in control with a gutsy team effort on defense and some timely goals by Tanner Richard and Scott Kosmachuk who had been m.i.a. So far this year. Not a pretty game but an improvement over last week's 8 2 blowout.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:28 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracker View Post
I saw two interesting games this weekend. In the first Guelph played most of a fast game against Owen Sound but had two late letdowns at the end whereby no one was in position or watching their man which cost them the game. The second was in London where Garret Sparks was steady and in control with a gutsy team effort on defense and some timely goals by Tanner Richard and Scott Kosmachuk who had been m.i.a. So far this year. Not a pretty game but an improvement over last week's 8 2 blowout.
I came into this weekend hoping for a split, and we got it. It was just I had predicted the win to be against OS. The defense certainly had a couple lapses in third put played well overall.

I really liked what I saw against London, solid work all game long from just about everyone. Hopefully those goals help Kosmachuk and Richard play more comfortably now. None of the shots Sparks faced were really THAT tough, but he was consistent which was good to see.

Overall, the power play really needs some work. Only 3/28 on the season. Penalty Kill is right up near the top which is good to see.

Hope Cody McNaughton has a quick recovery.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:20 AM
tourlord*

I didn't think Guelph played that good, London just took a ton of penalties in the first two periods which the Storm took advantage of. Guelph looked pretty strong on the PP and they did play better as a team than they did last Sunday in Guelph against the Knights. Sparks stopped two goals that should have went in, thought he played very well. I didn't see what happened to Mcnaughton, I changed the channel for a second and when I flicked it back to the game McNaughton was off on a stretcher. Not good. Hope he recovers well.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
I didn't think Guelph played that good, London just took a ton of penalties in the first two periods which the Storm took advantage of. Guelph looked pretty strong on the PP and they did play better as a team than they did last Sunday in Guelph against the Knights. Sparks stopped two goals that should have went in, thought he played very well. I didn't see what happened to Mcnaughton, I changed the channel for a second and when I flicked it back to the game McNaughton was off on a stretcher. Not good. Hope he recovers well.
The only thing the penalties did for Guelph was take time off the clock, the powerplay was awful. They were 0-8 and didn't seem to have much going, even on the 5-3s.

None of the shots on Sparks were really that great. Many of them were fired right at him. But he made saves, which he didn't do last Sunday.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:11 AM
StormSurge9

Huge win for the boys tonight, it's been a while since I have watched a game that had that many ups and downs. Good to see the fans really getting into it as well.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:39 AM
stormtracker

Of course the season is not even a month old but the Storm has shown some encouraging progress. Zack Leslie has stepped up to be a top four defenseman and Garrett Sparks most nights is very stable in net. Matt Finn and Andrey Pedan are playing leadership roles on the blueline and the veterans up front in Richard, Kosmuchuk, and
Mitchell are dominating with Dickinson contributing as well. Even the role players are doing their job. Hope the team can stay where it is in the top four in the Conference as the season unfolds.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:00 PM
StormSurge9

What I love about this team is the "never say die attitude"

Love the progress made by Leslie this season. Legit top 4 defenseman now.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:53 PM
StormSurge9

Congrats to the boys on the CHL Top 10 HM. Hopefully another string weekend and we could be right up there with the nations best!

Old
10-20-2012, 03:47 PM
StormSurge9

Really love the depth this team has been showing so far. It seems a different line gets going every single night.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:28 AM
StormSurge9

It sure is nice to be at the top, and also lead the league in goals by a comfortable margin.

But I am getting weary at the fact that we lost a player to injury in all 3 games this weekend. Horvat, Watling, and Garlent.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:00 AM
StormSurge9

It seems to be dead here, but if anyone wants to chime in I would love to hear opinions.

Why has DaSilva not started a single game yet?

Old
10-31-2012, 12:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Andrey Pedan gets 4 game suspension as result of his match penalty for kicking in the game against the Hounds this past Sunday

Old
10-31-2012, 12:51 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
It seems to be dead here, but if anyone wants to chime in I would love to hear opinions.

Why has DaSilva not started a single game yet?
In agreeance. Sparks has not 'earned' the amount of minutes this season as he has received. Not to say he is not talented, however, looking at the goals he has let in (and not even stats), this is not the calibre he should be playing at. DaSilva may not be better by any means, but Sparks is not playing 'lights out' to justify starting every game thus far. There's a certain time to allow goalies to work through letting in soft goals and regain confidence, but I think it's time to give DaSilva a start.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieGuy35 View Post
In agreeance. Sparks has not 'earned' the amount of minutes this season as he has received. Not to say he is not talented, however, looking at the goals he has let in (and not even stats), this is not the calibre he should be playing at. DaSilva may not be better by any means, but Sparks is not playing 'lights out' to justify starting every game thus far. There's a certain time to allow goalies to work through letting in soft goals and regain confidence, but I think it's time to give DaSilva a start.
I've seen DaSilva play a lot throughout his Minor Career and he's solid enough to earn at least some starts, even if they're sporadic you gotta get this guy in. If they don't find a way to get him in then don't expect him to develop and God forbid an injury to your #1 that would then force DaSilva to play a lot of games. That would be hard on anyone let alone a young goalie with very little game time.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:39 PM
OHLFan8771

Guelph has acquired Brock Buekeboom from Niagara for draft picks. The picks are a 2nd 4th and 6th.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
I have been impressed by DaSilva when he has come in to spell Sparks. DaSilva needs to AT LEAST be playing one game during 3 in 3 weekends. I mean Sparks faced many shots this past Saturday night in London, only to turn around and play an afternoon game against SSM?

While looking at the stats, Sparks plays much better on the road then at home. A home game would be the prefect chance to get DaSilva a start or two.

I know Sparks was in contention to be the back-up goalie at the WJC for the US (Although that opportunity might be fading). What happens if he indeed does have to leave for two weeks?

I just think it's insane.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Andrey Pedan gets 4 game suspension as result of his match penalty for kicking in the game against the Hounds this past Sunday
I heard this. Makes the Beukeboom addition more valuable for these 4 games. I really thought Kosmachuk would have gotten a game or two for his slash at the end of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Guelph has acquired Brock Buekeboom from Niagara for draft picks. The picks are a 2nd 4th and 6th.
None of the picks originally belonged to Guelph either. London's 2nd in 2014, Oshawa's 4th in 2013 and Brampton's 6th in 2014.

A right handed shot with decent size is just what this team ordered.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
StormSurge9

According to Tony Saxon, Buekeboom is already at practice. Wearing #25.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:25 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
I have been impressed by DaSilva when he has come in to spell Sparks. DaSilva needs to AT LEAST be playing one game during 3 in 3 weekends. I mean Sparks faced many shots this past Saturday night in London, only to turn around and play an afternoon game against SSM?

While looking at the stats, Sparks plays much better on the road then at home. A home game would be the prefect chance to get DaSilva a start or two.

I know Sparks was in contention to be the back-up goalie at the WJC for the US (Although that opportunity might be fading). What happens if he indeed does have to leave for two weeks?

I just think it's insane.
Once again, I completely agree. Giving a goalie his first start would be best at home as well giving him more confidence. The fact is, Sparks is NOT making the initial first saves that he was credible with last year. He needs to step up, and quite honestly I don't believe he's doing himself any favours for the WJC back up role by starting all of these games at the moment. Yes the minutes played is good, but just look at many of the goals he has let in (including I would say 3 soft ones against SSM). The Leafs need to get a new goalie coach hired, and let him have some time developing Sparks.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:11 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
The Leafs need to get a new goalie coach hired, and let him have some time developing Sparks.
I heard that due to the lockout, coaches can't communicate with players, including prospects.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
I heard that due to the lockout, coaches can't communicate with players, including prospects.
Unfortunately I am not in the know about this regarding how it pertains to more specific coaches such as goalie coaches. Many goalie coaches outside of the NHL have their own schools or are affiliated with other teams NOT affiliated in the NHL. You have to wonder if this can somehow be a loophole in any sort of Lockout.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:17 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not in the know about this regarding how it pertains to more specific coaches such as goalie coaches. Many goalie coaches outside of the NHL have their own schools or are affiliated with other teams NOT affiliated in the NHL. You have to wonder if this can somehow be a loophole in any sort of Lockout.
There could be a loophole. But at the same time, did Guelph not just hire a goalie coach during the off-season?

You never know, Sparks' issues may have nothing to do with coaching anyway. I'm sure some rest and a game or two away from the pressure could do wonders.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
GoalieGuy35

Quote:
There could be a loophole. But at the same time, did Guelph not just hire a goalie coach during the off-season?

You never know, Sparks' issues may have nothing to do with coaching anyway. I'm sure some rest and a game or two away from the pressure could do wonders.
Guelph goalie coach hiring was a controversial one, replaced a well respected goalie coach that was there for a long duration. Much better quality out there, especially for the calibre of level that is needed. You are correct that it could be other factors, but as said previously, it's time for DaSilva to get a start. If you don't have the confidence in your back up to play them this far along, there's got to be a trade for a better back up in the works or something to relieve the work load.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:29 PM
mapleleaf979

After not scoring in the first 15 games, Robby Fabbri finally got the monkey off his back with a Hat Trick yesterday.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:26 AM
StormSurge9

It was great to see Fabbri finally light the lamp, he has been working hard all season. I knew the goals would come eventually.

Spark's consistency issues were on in full effect again this weekend.
- 1st star Friday
- Pulled after allowing 3 goals in 7 Minutes on Saturday
- 2nd star Sunday

I felt bad for DaSilva on Saturday. Coming in cold and constanly being bombarded in shots by the IceDogs top line consisting of three NHL draft picks and then also Dougie Hamilton. The defence was not good.

Sunday against the Knights was a much better effort. The Elie goal seemed like kind of a fluke goal (Kind of like Finn's on Friday)

Hopefully this week will be better. It will be interesting to see the defence on Friday night with Pedan back in the lineup. Hopefully some of these other injuries heal quickly.

Closed Thread