HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Old
10-27-2012, 05:35 PM
TheBigKahuna

vCash: 500
I saw some shenanigans at Dorton Arena too. The IceCaps were never a really tough team. They had a couple of goons over the years, but Kleinendorst was never THAT type of coach. The IceCaps seemed to get pushed around a lot. But the fans did not! I saw visiting players get pelted with cups, many full of drinks, etc. One particular night, a visiting player got ejected from the game, and as he left the bench, he had to walk around the outside of the glass, around to the other side of the "zamboni tunnel" all without a canopy like most places use today. As he left the bench, he flipped a folding chair up into the first row and it hit a little girl. That guy got absolutely pelted. We were sitting right on the edge of the "end one" or the zamboni tunnel. I saw a cup, full when it left the hands of whoever threw it, fly over my head and hit the guy square in the face. He stopped and smacked his stick up on the wall and yelled some smack talk, but quickly exited stage left after another barrage of cups came his way.

Good $5 entertainment!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:31 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Anyone been to Fayetteville for a FireAntz game?

HisIceness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
**** ****ing **** ****

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/...lexander-semin

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I'm not sure why that's a big deal. I didn't expect him to stay in Carolina past this year in the first place. He just needed a place to show that he can still be of use despite his rumored personality issues and we took a shot at him for one year.

Once this year was over, I expected him to sign with Detroit or some other big name city (maybe even back in Washington) for a multi-year deal.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Well, that's understandable if this lockout lasts a full year. However, if he keeps that stance when/if the lockout is lifted this year, he will look like an idiot alongside Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and company. I was really proud of our guys for not speaking to the media about this, but now Semin and E. Staal decided to. They didn't say anything inflammatory, I just don't like it when players let the situation get the best of them emotionally.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
I think there was some hope that if he liked things here that he'd be back. But yeah, I don't think too many saw this as a definite long term deal with him in Raleigh, just hoped that it would be if it worked.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I'm not sure how Alex hinting on staying in Russia means he won't be staying here if there is NHL hockey this season.

If anything, it would be proof that he is unwilling to leave a situation where he is getting paid and is comfortable, which would argue that Semin will be willing to sign long term if he likes it here.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I think there was some hope that if he liked things here that he'd be back. But yeah, I don't think too many saw this as a definite long term deal with him in Raleigh, just hoped that it would be if it worked.
I agree, but I at least expected him to lace them up in at least one GAME with the Canes...

Oh well, if Ovechkin and Kovalchuk don't come back, at least that's two teams we pass. Still have J Staal, still hopefully a better team than last year. At the rate he's been playing overseas I'm still comfortable with Tlusty on E Staal's wing, and maybe this is the time Bowman and Boychuk have finally come around...

Old
10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I agree, but I at least expected him to lace them up in at least one GAME with the Canes...
And now you expect otherwise?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:44 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
I'm sure the KHL will break its transfer agreement with the NHL and Semin will forfeit his right to play for Team Russia in Sochi

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
All this posturing doesn't concern me in the slightest. The players will always come to the promised money. The KHL is the biggest bargaining chip that Russian players have at their disposal and it wouldn't make sense not to use it. Plus, if you're playing in Russia as a Russian with a Russian newspaper shoving a tape recorder or a walkman or whatever they use over there in your face and asking you questions about how sweet it is to play in Russia, what do you think is going to happen? He'd be saying the exact same things if he were here about Carolina until the rubber met the road.

In honesty, I will believe these star players staying in siberia when I see it happen. There is a reason that players can't stay away from the NHL if they're being paid comparable amounts.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:06 PM
bleedgreen

Yeah I don't see the fuss with that article. Didn't really say much. If this actually ends we'll see who actually chooses to stay. To be honest, if ovechkin bailed at this point and Washington was no longer burdened with his contract they'd probably throw a party.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
And now you expect otherwise?
Now I believe otherwise to be a possibility.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
The thing that worries me most about Semin, is if we have a full year lockout, his contract with us expires, and some other team decides to give him a multi-year offer and we don't.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:50 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Paul Branecky ‏@PaulBranecky
Confirming report a few of you passed along last night, here's official release from Spartak re release of Mike Murphy: http://translate.google.com/translat...ews/item10063/

Spartak off to a tough start this season (they also changed coaches yesterday) and my understanding is that Murphy became their No.3 option

Not sure what happens next. I believe Murphy is eligible to sign in AHL, but no room w/Checkers at moment. Could be assigned elsewhere

Oh, that's "unfortunate". Makes his comments about his old teammates/coaches look hilarious now. Karma is a *****, isn't it "Murph"?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Confirming report a few of you passed along last night, here's official release from Spartak re release of Mike Murphy: http://translate.google.com/translat...ews/item10063/

Spartak off to a tough start this season (they also changed coaches yesterday) and my understanding is that Murphy became their No.3 option

Not sure what happens next. I believe Murphy is eligible to sign in AHL, but no room w/Checkers at moment. Could be assigned elsewhere

Oh, that's "unfortunate". Makes his comments about his old teammates/coaches look hilarious now. Karma is a *****, isn't it "Murph"?
Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" person.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Murphy is a good dude, he just got sung a song by the KHL and took the bait. I think his frustration with not getting called up was entirely justified and when he DID get called up, being used only in emergency capacity was a slap in the face to a kid that had grinded out his entire ELC and wasn't thrown a bone despite a save percentage around .915 for his AHL career.

There are a lot of people that would get more impatient in a lot less than 3 years after being CHL goaltender of the year and turning pro. When Boucher went down, it should have been Peters and Murphy getting every single start that Boucher would have gotten. Let them develop an actual competition instead of bequeathing the position to the most tenured option.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Not that I'm doing him the injustice of forcing this comparison, but Mike Murphy has a hell of a lot in common with a young Tim Thomas right now.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:06 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Spacek retires. How long until the Canes sign him in some capacity?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Spacek retires. How long until the Canes sign him in some capacity?
Director of Uselessness. Helps the development of Staal, Ruutu, Larose, Pitkanen, and Boychuk, making sure they never do anything to help the team win hockey games.

Also works with Director of Spacegoats. Same players, same job.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Color analyst... replacing Tripp when Tripp is promoted to play-by-play.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Fitting in with the theme of lazy Pitkanen, my parents parked next to him at the Whole Foods off of Six Forks. They said not only that his BMW appeared to have not been washed in months, but also that he neglected to push his cart back to the cart collection area. What a lazy man on and off the ice.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:07 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Fitting in with the theme of lazy Pitkanen, my parents parked next to him at the Whole Foods off of Six Forks. They said not only that his BMW appeared to have not been washed in months, but also that he neglected to push his cart back to the cart collection area. What a lazy man on and off the ice.
I can forgive a dirty car, but put your damn cart back, Joni.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I can forgive a dirty car, but put your damn cart back, Joni.
Give him some credit for doing his own groceries. I'm surprised his mom wasn't doing them. Maybe she was busy that day.

Or was she waiting in the car?

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Jeff O'Neill needs to just stop tweeting. Just.... stop.

@odognine2: @McIlroyRory win a major before you chirp people.

@McIlroyRory: I've won 2....