HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schneider to Edmonton

Old
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Perfect_Drug

vCash: 500
If Gags got traded to them, Chicago would have plenty of reason to worry about the nucks during the playoffs.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
If Gags got traded to them, Chicago would have plenty of reason to worry about the nucks during the playoffs.

I want him.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
One 8 point game and Chicago would go from huge win over Vancouver to a huge loss...we could win 4-2 instead of 4-3.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:47 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Lindback was more proven at the NHL level.

Lack is probably worth a similar return to Bishop.
Lindback may have had more NHL experience, but by all accounts I've read he's never been considered as having as high an upside as Lack. Bishop was worth more than a 2nd, but was dealt for an underpayment since he was an upcoming UFA unless he dressed for a certain amount of games IIRC. Lack is probably worth somewhere in between Lindback and Bishop, either two 2nds or a 2nd + 3rd. Of course once he gets NHL action his value should increase on the spot.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Lindback may have had more NHL experience, but by all accounts I've read he's never been considered as having as high an upside as Lack. Bishop was worth more than a 2nd, but was dealt for an underpayment since he was an upcoming UFA unless he dressed for a certain amount of games IIRC. Lack is probably worth somewhere in between Lindback and Bishop, either two 2nds or a 2nd + 3rd. Of course once he gets NHL action his value should increase on the spot.
Lack will be treated like Schneider. Well put him in a back-up role, increase his value, then move him when his value is at its highest. Schneiders contract expires just when we can negotiate with Lack, so Lack will likely be used as leverage to get a better deal done with Schneider. Otherwise, maybe Schneider is moved. Who knows, but I don't see Lack getting traded for a few years.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:50 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Bishop has had 1 good season (only a 38 game year). He needed more of a resume to get a better price, so that is why he went cheap. IIRC he was also a UFA-to-be (anyone confirm).

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:39 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Bishop has had 1 good season (only a 38 game year). He needed more of a resume to get a better price, so that is why he went cheap. IIRC he was also a UFA-to-be (anyone confirm).
Lucky was right on Bishop; he was in a strange situation in that he became a UFA unless he played something like 11 NHL games (don't quote me on that number). Since STL was battling for top spot and had 2 NHL regulars in place, they would not have to opportunity to play him. The injury to Anderson on OTT gave them the chance to play Bishop down the stretch.

This is the main reason for his relatively low price.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
handyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Canuck management, their coaching staff and I disagree here. Hence why the Canucks are moving an elite goaltender to make room for Cory Schneider. If there was any doubt whether or not Cory was the real deal Luongo wouldn't be on the outs.

Jonathan Quick only has 2 excellent seasons under his belt in the NHL. Does that mean he shouldn't be mentioned in the 'elite' category with Luongo and Lundqvist until he proves himself over the longterm? Or is his tecnique, athleticism and positioning good enough to assume he will be able to sustain a high level of play moving forward?
I think you're over-simplifying the situation by saying the Nucks' management is trying to trade Luongo only because they have deemed Schneider to be 'elite', as there are more factors at play. If Luongo was happy to sit 40-50 games a year and didn't make any comments eluding to wanting to be moved I don't think the Canucks would be shopping him yet. I know all the Canucks fans want to make it out to be some calculated move by Gillis but I think he's more pushed into a corner now than anything.

Regardless, no, I don't think you can call anyone elite that has only half a full season of workload under their belt. You can point at minor league stats and talk about non-quantifiable things like leg speed all you want, but I wouldn't be putting a crown on anyone after 25 and 33 game seasons. There have been many over the years (Lalime, Theodore, Jim Carey, Mason) who have put up good stats for short time periods and faded. I'm not saying this will happen to Schneider, but I also think it's a little early to book his tickets to the HHOF induction ceremony like a lot of people posting in this thread seem to think.

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyj View Post
I think you're over-simplifying the situation by saying the Nucks' management is trying to trade Luongo only because they have deemed Schneider to be 'elite', as there are more factors at play. If Luongo was happy to sit 40-50 games a year and didn't make any comments eluding to wanting to be moved I don't think the Canucks would be shopping him yet. I know all the Canucks fans want to make it out to be some calculated move by Gillis but I think he's more pushed into a corner now than anything.

Regardless, no, I don't think you can call anyone elite that has only half a full season of workload under their belt. You can point at minor league stats and talk about non-quantifiable things like leg speed all you want, but I wouldn't be putting a crown on anyone after 25 and 33 game seasons. There have been many over the years (Lalime, Theodore, Jim Carey, Mason) who have put up good stats for short time periods and faded. I'm not saying this will happen to Schneider, but I also think it's a little early to book his tickets to the HHOF induction ceremony like a lot of people posting in this thread seem to think.
All those people are being ridiculous homers. Even the reasonable Canucks fans recognize it is a little early to anoint Cory as a perennial Vezina nominee.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I wouldn't say that. If the Oilers offered Klefbom it's hard to see Gillis turning them down.

Lacks looks like he's destined to be a starting goalie in the NHL but he's hardly untouchable for the Canucks. You're just not likely going to see him moved for anything less than someone that projects as an impact skater.
The same could be said for Olivier Roy or Tyler Bunz. Younger and just as much NHL experience as Lack.......Klefbom lol

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:20 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
so what is developing a goalie "properly"?
It varies by general manager, hockey system and by goaltender's depth.

No depth? Get the best free agent or rush your best prospect goalie to the NHL.

Depth is there? take your time, trade a prospect for picks or player/prospect.

Defensive system? Any goalie will do (Phoenix, St-Louis)

Offensive system with no defense? Best goalie is needed (Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia)

GM under pressure? Panic, trade your prospects, rush what ever is left to the NHL, and sell (overrate) their talents to the fans (Burke)

GM in a non hockey market? who cares?

Warning: do not take this post too seriously

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
All those people are being ridiculous homers. Even the reasonable Canucks fans recognize it is a little early to anoint Cory as a perennial Vezina nominee.
Agreed people's views are going to be influenced by their own biases. Having said that, it would be interesting to know how GM's would rate the younger goalies. I suspect that most GM"s would have Schneider pretty high up the list judging by the comments we hear from a lot of so-called hockey experts who see Schneider as a goalie who will become a strong starter. I doubt very much that he ever reaches the level of Luongo but he does look to be a solid goalie who should at a minimum become a legitimate starter this year. We'll see how he does this year but I think most people expect him to take the next step fairly seamlessly. It's not like he is being rushed into being a starter. This is simply another step.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I guess that depends on how you measure:
Dubnyk -----> Luongo
vs.
Gagner -----> Gagner's replacement.

You have to give to get.
This assuming oiler fans want that terrible contract or are even looking to upgrade.

Like seriously its 12 pages of oiler fans saying no just to keep being retorted with you need to give to get quality.

Luongo has one of the worst contracts in the entire league, Schneider isnt proven enough and even if that wasnt the cas the goalie market since the lockout shows they dont return a huge premium

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:03 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
This assuming oiler fans want that terrible contract or are even looking to upgrade.

Like seriously its 12 pages of oiler fans saying no just to keep being retorted with you need to give to get quality.

Luongo has one of the worst contracts in the entire league, Schneider isnt proven enough and even if that wasnt the cas the goalie market since the lockout shows they dont return a huge premium
It's amazing that Vancouver did as well as they did with those two plugs in net.
Schneider played so well that Luongo is now considered exependible. Schneider's played exceptionally well in every situation that he's been put in. The bottomline is that he's only been a backup because he has an elite goalie in front of him. Again, most hockey people whose opinions I respect are very high on him.

Last edited by vanwest: 10-31-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old
10-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
It's amazing that Vancouver did as well as they did with those two plugs in net.
Schneider played so well that Luongo is now considered exependible. Schneider's played exceptionally well in every situation that he's been put in. The bottomline is that he's only been a backup because he has an elite goalie in front of him. Again, most hockey people whose opinions I respect are very high on him.
So keep him instead of creating a thread trading him to Edmonton. You do know no one thinks he is not good but there is questions of will he be awesome for 60 games like he is able to with half the work load and its not a guarantee. Just like saying Lou has a horrendous conract doesnt mean he is a bad player so not sure why you bring up the team doing well.

If Lou had a contract that wasnt 50 years long Im sure oiler fans would love to have him just like Schneider. He is an upgrade to Dubnyk but is the upgrade worth one of the big 4 or Hemsky and a lottery pick I dont think so

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:04 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
So keep him instead of creating a thread trading him to Edmonton. You do know no one thinks he is not good but there is questions of will he be awesome for 60 games like he is able to with half the work load and its not a guarantee. Just like saying Lou has a horrendous conract doesnt mean he is a bad player so not sure why you bring up the team doing well.

If Lou had a contract that wasnt 50 years long Im sure oiler fans would love to have him just like Schneider. He is an upgrade to Dubnyk but is the upgrade worth one of the big 4 or Hemsky and a lottery pick I dont think so
I didn't start the thread. And yes there are no guarantees. If there were a guarantee he was going to post similar numbers as a starter he would not be available at almost any price much like Price and Quick (and just to be clear I am not comparing him to either of those players). Obviously I don't see the price as being one of the big four but it would have to IMO be Hemsky plus the first round pick. I would add that there are a whole lot of questions around Hemsky especially in terms of his ability to stay healthy so it would need to be more than just him coming back,.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyj View Post
I think you're over-simplifying the situation by saying the Nucks' management is trying to trade Luongo only because they have deemed Schneider to be 'elite', as there are more factors at play.
Roberto Luongo is the best goaltender in Canuck history and one of the best of our generation. Cory Schneider appears to have stolen his job. If Canuck management didn't think Schneider was a safe bet to be one of the best goalies in the NHL they don't move Luongo and give Schneider the starting role.

Not too concerned with what fans around the league think of Schneider. More concerned with what Canuck management, the coaching staff and fans that have seen him play every game over the last couple years think. To a man, we're all sold on the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
The same could be said for Olivier Roy or Tyler Bunz. Younger and just as much NHL experience as Lack.......Klefbom lol
And Klefbom has the same amount of NHL experience as Frankie Corrado and Eddie Lack..

Eddie Lack stepped into the AHL and dominated from day 1. This guy is on the same level as a Jacob Markstrom. Anything less than a Klefbom level player and the Canucks hold on to the massive Swede and watch his value grow with each passing month.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:02 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
But why would a playoff bound team be trading for Eddie Lack?
San Jose?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
San Jose?
San Jose has a ton of solid goalie prospects. In fact, I think they let a few sneak out in to free agency because of the seemingly perpetual logjam they have had with good goalie prospects in their system.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Let's keep things clean here.

Unverified reports have Edmonton in the Luongo game, and Edmonton fans have said he doesn't fit the plan of the Oilers, or the youth of their core. Schneider has a few years on the Oilers kids, but he should show the consistent play he has through every level of every league he's played in.

Let's avoid the name calling, the comparisons of Dubnyk to Schneider and the double standards on potential and experience.

Hemsky+ is what I would be asking, and unless things have changed, that value is highly contested.
We are not trading anything of value to the Canucks , likewise they are not trading anything of value to us . think about the Calgary trade , it was more of a dump then a trade

supert is offline   Reply With Quote