HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

The Bluth Company (360) GM League Discussion/Signup Thread PT 3: NEED RESERVES

Old
10-31-2012, 12:50 PM
dbridge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
CHamps did you send offers to your players yet?

Also, i'm having mixed feelings towards how this offseason played out. For the most part it went pretty smoothly but there were some serious bumps in the road too. I hate how Free Agency played out. I dont like how there are essentially ZERO big name Free Agents to sign. Regardless of the Untouchable List, i think Free Agency needs to be able to offer more to other teams. I just dont know how to properly execute it without it being unfair to the original teams these UFA's were playing on.

Any ideas would be great
Maybe we should be less lenient with teams that have problems signing their free agents. If someone is unavailable during that time period for a good reason, then that would be a reason to give them some time to get to their free agents, but if a team can't sign players because of cap issues or their roster is too full or they forgot to qualify their RFAs while still making offers, then maybe those players should be fair game come July 1st.

dbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Gary83*

Quote:

Also, i'm having mixed feelings towards how this offseason played out. For the most part it went pretty smoothly but there were some serious bumps in the road too. I hate how Free Agency played out. I dont like how there are essentially ZERO big name Free Agents to sign. Regardless of the Untouchable List, i think Free Agency needs to be able to offer more to other teams. I just dont know how to properly execute it without it being unfair to the original teams these UFA's were playing on.

Any ideas would be great
Maybe an option would be giving teams something like 2 players to "protect", gives them an opportunity to work out a deal with their important players, meanwhile they're not hoarding 5 good players off the market.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:00 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
so power is out at work.. which means.. i spend all day at home bored.. so I figured I'd do something with my time.. so I created this for the league.. do whatever you want with it.. use it dont use it.. i dont care, im just bored.. haha

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:05 PM
cbenini87

I personally like how it was originally set up, with the AHL players included on the team salary. While many of us think EA messed up on this, I think they did it on purpose, so it would be tougher to afford guys with expired contracts, therefore putting better players on the FA market.

Granted, the situation BOS was in was not his fault, same with Montreal, they are stuck with the current roster situations which is a little unfair. I think the next 1 or 2 offseasons should be handled the same way. After that I think it should be if you can't afford the player, that's a tough break but he's fair game for everyone else.

THats my 2 cents.

cbenini87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbridge92 View Post
Maybe we should be less lenient with teams that have problems signing their free agents. If someone is unavailable during that time period for a good reason, then that would be a reason to give them some time to get to their free agents, but if a team can't sign players because of cap issues or their roster is too full or they forgot to qualify their RFAs while still making offers, then maybe those players should be fair game come July 1st.
I'm kinda with you on that one. I had a few big salary player I didn't want like Komisarek at 5 million... I had to buy out a few players, not sign others in order to pay my bigger guys. So I kinda got screwed since I, technically, could've just signed everybody, waited till the season started, protected my players, then resign while I make room by putting players in the minors.

I don't care either way, but I found a way to sign everybody, at the expense of other players... which is what usual NHL teams do.

for next season, I would not be leniant at all for this stuff.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:12 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Club in roughly 20 mins?
Anyone?

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Nick1219

The idea of a keeper league kind of thing interests me, but it doesn't sound like its worth the effort to be honest. Not to mention what will happen if a team has the majority of their stars become UFA one year.

Nick1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS View Post
so power is out at work.. which means.. i spend all day at home bored.. so I figured I'd do something with my time.. so I created this for the league.. do whatever you want with it.. use it dont use it.. i dont care, im just bored.. haha

This is really cool and needs to be put in the OP of every TBC related thread from now on

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:19 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenini87 View Post
I personally like how it was originally set up, with the AHL players included on the team salary. While many of us think EA messed up on this, I think they did it on purpose, so it would be tougher to afford guys with expired contracts, therefore putting better players on the FA market.

Granted, the situation BOS was in was not his fault, same with Montreal, they are stuck with the current roster situations which is a little unfair. I think the next 1 or 2 offseasons should be handled the same way. After that I think it should be if you can't afford the player, that's a tough break but he's fair game for everyone else.

THats my 2 cents.
Yeah but you pick the team, that's what you get. The fun part is trying to find a way to pay your players, if need be, you let some go or buy them out. I found a way to have many players at the 5-6 million price range.... I made room. It's all part of the strategy. Just sayin'.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:19 PM
HaroldDruken

vCash: 769
Quote:

That's sick dude!

HaroldDruken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:27 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:

Sick AF! definitely needs to be the Bluth Header for now on.

Side note, when are we advancing, every 3 or 4 days?

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:39 PM
matt1396

Quote:

Any ideas would be great
I think we should make something where teams are only allowed to resign a certain amount of players in different categories.

Example:
let's say that Crosby, Eriksson, and Letang are going to become UFA's next year, I would only be allowed to sign two of them. While this is an inconvenience to some GM's it makes the UFA market much better for everyone.

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Devils lose season opener in shootout to Capitals:

@
3 - 4 (SO)

-The Devils lost their first game of the 2013-14 regular season in a shootout. Despite getting a two goal lead early in the game, Washington rallied back and took the game in the skills competition. "It was a good first try", said Devils coach Pete DeBoer, "our offense put together some very nice plays tonight. The new additions to our club are going to be big for us, you can tell". The Devils will face the Dallas Stars in game 2 of their season this afternoon.

Devils lines:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Zubrus-Marleau
Latandresse-Antrapov-Frolov
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Larsson-Phillips
Tallinder-Greene
Volchenkov-Fayne

Brodeur
Enroth

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post
I think we should make something where teams are only allowed to resign a certain amount of players in different categories.

Example:
let's say that Crosby, Eriksson, and Letang are going to become UFA's next year, I would only be allowed to sign two of them. While this is an inconvenience to some GM's it makes the UFA market much better for everyone.
Why dont we just simplify it and say NO ONE makes an offer to a top talented FA till July 4th or something. If you can't sign your guys in the re-sign phase and the july 1 phase it should be fair game.

specially to some ppl not in the playoffs late they should already be preparing for the re-sign phase well in anticipation.

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:52 PM
matt1396

season preview

With the 2013-2014 season looming expectations are high for the Pittsburgh Penguins. The team made a number of big moves in the offseason including bringing in Rick Nash.

"I'm excited to be here in Pittsburgh, it's a great place to be and based on the make-up of this team I really believe we can push for the Stanley Cup. What line I play on is not up to me but i'm going to try my hardest and i'm fine playing with either Sid or Roy as I view these lines as 1A and 1B and i'm sure the fans do as well."

The team has been eliminated in the 1st round for 3 years in a row and haven't been past the 2nd round since winning the cup in 2009. Anything short of a 2nd round playoff exit would be considered a failure. Here is what Captain Sidney Crosby had to say:

"We definitely feel like we are one of the better team's out there in the league. I'd say our Top 6 is about as good as it gets with the players we have in it. Our goal is and always has been to win the Stanley Cup, and with the additions made this offseason I believe it is something we can achieve."

The team will be relying heavily on Marc-Andre Fleury to continue to play the way he did at the end of the regular season and playoffs if they truly are to become contenders in the east. Overall things are looking up in Pittsburgh and it looks like there will be a new power house in the east.

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:09 PM
slightlystewpid420

A little premature, but Columbus will be looking to be very active this trade deadline.

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:14 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
Why dont we just simplify it and say NO ONE makes an offer to a top talented FA till July 4th or something. If you can't sign your guys in the re-sign phase and the july 1 phase it should be fair game.

specially to some ppl not in the playoffs late they should already be preparing for the re-sign phase well in anticipation.
I don't understand why we would even create new rules... I for one have no problems for the ones in NHL13. Every year salaries will go up, people wont be able to sign all their players and will have to either trade them or let them go to FA.

Obviously salaries are going to go up every year and more and more players will be available every season.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
I don't understand why we would even create new rules... I for one have no problems for the ones in NHL13. Every year salaries will go up, people wont be able to sign all their players and will have to either trade them or let them go to FA.

Obviously salaries are going to go up every year and more and more players will be available every season.
i know but some ppl just aren't online at times due to work or school to do some things so its better to give them a little benefit of the doubt and give them a breather of time. But yeah july 4 is the third simulation i believe so by then every GM should have had ample time to plan how they were going to approach their team salary and how much they are going to sign guys. If nothing by july 4 then it should be fair game.

It honestly isnt hard to at least Tender RFA's during the re-sign phase, low-ball pending UFA's and sign rookies during the re-sign phase.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Couto10

Good God.. Tampa is actually really good, which sucks because now our division is so stacked.

and are all super skilled players who can do very well.

2-1 W in OT @ Home against Caps
2-1 W in Tampa's home opener

Couto10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:23 PM
avsfan89

Avalanche win home opener against Blackhawks thanks to a 3 point night by Johnson, 2 goal game by Olver.

"We are off to the right start with this win, we were a little shaky out there at first and a bit rusty. Things took a scare when recently acquired Justin Williams went down in the 3rd period with an injury. He scored a goal earlier. Thankfully he was not seriously harmed and will be in the next game lineup.

Duchene was also dangerous all night, registering 7 shots but scored the game winning goal in OT. Parenteau was quiet but seemingly starting to gel with new linemates O'Reilly and Malone. Olver settled into his 3rd C role registering 2 goals. McGinn and Varly look more in control out there than last season along with Jones. Should be a fun season!"

Old
10-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Price 89

Detroit losses its first game 3-2 @Chicago
But won their second game 4-1 vs Anaheim in there home opener

Price 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:47 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
i know but some ppl just aren't online at times due to work or school to do some things so its better to give them a little benefit of the doubt and give them a breather of time. But yeah july 4 is the third simulation i believe so by then every GM should have had ample time to plan how they were going to approach their team salary and how much they are going to sign guys. If nothing by july 4 then it should be fair game.

It honestly isnt hard to at least Tender RFA's during the re-sign phase, low-ball pending UFA's and sign rookies during the re-sign phase.

Well I'm pretty sure we had at least 3 sims between signing our FAs and July 1st. So maybe we just sim 1 per day, that leaves 3 days for signing players. I'm think we simmed a bunch of times in one night this time.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:39 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Alright, here's what i've been thinking about as far as next offseason goes...

Managing Cap Space:
-What happened with Montreal and New York this past offseason, that wont be happening again. Every GM now knows how the NHL Salary Cap and Organization Salary Cap now work. All of this information is easily available in the contract screen. However, you will have to add the salaries of the "In The System" players to your Cap space as well.

I cant fault MTL and NYR this offseason because neither I nor them had any idea how this was going to work. However, now that we do know, its the GM Responsibility to manage their cap space. This is such a huge part of being a GM in real life and it should play an equally important role in NHL 13. If you dont have cap space to sign your players then you dont have cap space. Thats a very real occurence in the real NHL (see 2010 Blackhawks)

Strict Schedule:
Easily the biggest offseason issue was Boston losing Lucic and Marchand to Free Agency. This happened largely in part due to the loose schedule i had for the offseason, which was caused by a total lack of understanding on how many sim periods were involved in the offseason. I got over anxious, wanted to get things done as quickly as possible so to allow GMs to get back to the regular season ASAP. This was a mistake. The Offseason is an important process and i need to treat it as such. This is how the offseason will be broken down from now on...

==============================================
AP=Advance Period

AP 1: This is during the Stanley Cup Finals round. In this AP, all GMs are required to set their Draft Priority

Day 1-->AP 2 (June 26th): After the SCFs are finished, i'll be simming all the way up THROUGH the Draft. Bringing us to the first eligible day to send contracts to our UFAs and RFAs. GMs will then have 24 hours to submit their offers.

*I have 2-3 more advances inbetween here that i may use for the most active GMs to immediately see if their players signed or not

Day 2-->AP 3 (June 29th): I'll then advance the schedule again, bringing us to June 27th. At this point, GMs will then have another 12 hours to submit counter offers to their players if they have rejected them.

Day 2-->AP 4 (July 1st): I'll then advance the schedule again, bringing us all the way through to July 1st. GMs will be given an additional 12 hours to manage any freak occurences that happened during AP 2 & 3.

Day 3-->AP 5 (July 2nd): I'll then advance the schedule to July 2nd, which will be the Official 1st day of Free Agency. During this time period, GMs will have 24 hours to submit offers to any player they like. Any and all players not signed by GMs i.e. lost to Free Agency, are available to any and all GMs.

Day 4-->AP 6 (July 3rd): Gms will be given until sometime the next night to send any further offers they wish to send.

Day 4-->AP 7 (October 3rd): Free Agency will have been finished. The Regular Season will have begun.

***Throughout this entire process, i'll be expecting GMs to send me "Confirmation" PMs telling me they've submitted their contracts

..This will be done because if (IF) every GM has submitted their offers i'll be able to advance to the next AP earlier than listed. Early Advances will only happen if every GM has submitted a PM to me.===============================================

Free Agency:
Free Agency needs to be a real thing in this league. It doesn't exist just as a process for me to sim through. Its designed for other GMs to be given a chance to improve their teams. Especially since i put a limit on trades, Free Agency offers a potential league shakeup and boost to other teams.

I will not, NOT be lenient next offseason. My schedule is going to be very strict. GMs are going to have to pay attention and be active during this time period because its not fair to the rest of the league for an entire process like this to be ignored due to your inactivity. This means you have to get on xbox live, and send GOODcontracts in a timely manner and do whatever you need to do in order to sign your players. Any players that fall to Free Agency...thats just too damn bad. If Toews and Kane BOTH for some reason just refuse to sign with Chicago and/or i cannot afford their cap hits (EVEN due to the "In the System" effect) then that means i lose Toews and Kane.

In Summary:
The Offseason is going to be a 4 Day Process. Yes, it sucks. I know it sucks. I want to get back to playing games just as much as you all do. But unless EVERY GM sends me a PM, consider this the schedule. I cannot stress this enough. It is your responsibility to...

1) Manage your Cap Space
2) Follow the above mentiond Schedule
3) Be Active and knowledgeable about the ongoings of the league during this time

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Jsolari11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couto10 View Post
Good God.. Tampa is actually really good, which sucks because now our division is so stacked.

and are all super skilled players who can do very well.

2-1 W in OT @ Home against Caps
2-1 W in Tampa's home opener
dont be so quick to count out the panthers just yet. i still havnt played a single game in this thing so watch out

Jsolari11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
DoubleK81

That updated offseason guideline could not have been put any better. Pretty much exactly what i was thinking. I think the set schedule as opposed to a loose schedule is one of the keys.

DoubleK81 is online now   Reply With Quote