HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Would specific hockey fighting training be a good idea at all?

Old
10-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Dontdive

vCash: 500
Would specific hockey fighting training be a good idea at all?

Fighting in hockey has differences compared to boxing or street-fighting. There are no boxing gloves, but there are unwritten rules most follow and lines that (usually) aren't crossed.

And sometimes I've read of players who in their youth or during the off-season take boxing training or the like, which I'm sure can help, but again, isn't exactly like what would actually be encountered in a real hockey fight.

If someone who actually knew how to "do it right" (probably an ex-player?) opened up a school to teach it, do you think it would get any business? What public/media backlash do you think would occur, if any?

It seems to me that with no NHL games being played anyways, that even some players who are non-fighters would do well to learn how to defend themselves (insert THAT Sedin clip here)....

Dontdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
TieClark

I think it's better to leave it to the veterans kind of thing... the older fighters always help the younger ones. As a Leaf fan I know Domi helped Belak, Orr helped Brown etc.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh_so_saad

as much as i love figthing, i would rather taake a 150 shots at a net before taking ice dancing lessons

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Didn't Boogy and his brother running a fighting camp for kids?

Its not exactly a hard thing to learn if you can box or whatever... Balance is your biggest problem...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Homegrown Kings
rangdemption song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Didn't Boogy and his brother running a fighting camp for kids?

Its not exactly a hard thing to learn if you can box or whatever... Balance is your biggest problem...
Yeah he did, I seem to recall him taking a lot of heat for it too. I didn't see anything wrong with it, it's good to know what you're doing if you get into a fight so you don't hurt yourself.

Players who train in boxing can make really effective fighters if they're stable on their skates. Rick Rypien had a really beautiful style to watch.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
Yeah he did, I seem to recall him taking a lot of heat for it too. I didn't see anything wrong with it, it's good to know what you're doing if you get into a fight so you don't hurt yourself.

Players who train in boxing can make really effective fighters if they're stable on their skates. Rick Rypien had a really beautiful style to watch.
Yeah I recall that, but I think his intent with it was that young kids would know how to protect themselves in a fight... I liked the idea personally but what do I know eh?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Yeah I recall that, but I think his intent with it was that young kids would know how to protect themselves in a fight... I liked the idea personally but what do I know eh?
It was and it was pretty safe...kids had alot of protection and padding.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
IComeInPeace

If you really want to become proficient in the pugilistic arts on ice, rent Youngblood, and fast forward to the part where Rob Lowe's dad gives him lessons in the barn.
You're good to go after that.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote