HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-29-2012, 09:23 AM
BobbyFischer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
Yeah but thats a big waste of money the gains you get from the turbo compared to what you already get from $250.00 on the pulley n ecm arent worth the headaches of a turbo setup, the block can handle the power but im not sure the rest of the car can.
Well, when you pull on a smaller pulley setup, depending on the size, you need to do supporting mods like at least a downpipe+intake, but usually, headers, intake, catback, etc, is preferred, especially if you wanna run the smallest pulley possible without blowing your engine and maximizing power.

If by rest of the can, you mean transmission, then yeah.. you'll have to bulk up the tranny, which you can get parts for cheap online, as well as suspension, etc.

Considering the price of a Regal is so damn cheap to begin with, it's a pretty interesting 'sleeper' car to build up, because no one is really expecting it to go fast..

P.S I have ZERO tickets, and have been driving it since 2008. Zero speeding tickets, and pulled over zero times, which for me.. is insanity, I'd say. It's gotta be the car.. lol

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Joe Cole

Modding is fun, but there is a limit.

Don't overshoot the manufacturer's original state of tune by too much. All the other systems in the car work together. If you go way beyond that envelope, you are bound for failure with some weaker parts of the chain.

Enjoy your car, tinker, but do not expect to double your performance without breaking the thing in two.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Modding is fun, but there is a limit.

Don't overshoot the manufacturer's original state of tune by too much. All the other systems in the car work together. If you go way beyond that envelope, you are bound for failure with some weaker parts of the chain.

Enjoy your car, tinker, but do not expect to double your performance without breaking the thing in two.
It all depends on how deep you're willing to go, and what car it is you're modding.

So many variables.

There are some cars that just don't make sense to mod.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Well, when you pull on a smaller pulley setup, depending on the size, you need to do supporting mods like at least a downpipe+intake, but usually, headers, intake, catback, etc, is preferred, especially if you wanna run the smallest pulley possible without blowing your engine and maximizing power.

If by rest of the can, you mean transmission, then yeah.. you'll have to bulk up the tranny, which you can get parts for cheap online, as well as suspension, etc.

Considering the price of a Regal is so damn cheap to begin with, it's a pretty interesting 'sleeper' car to build up, because no one is really expecting it to go fast..

P.S I have ZERO tickets, and have been driving it since 2008. Zero speeding tickets, and pulled over zero times, which for me.. is insanity, I'd say. It's gotta be the car.. lol
its funny you say that, when I use to have my crx I use to get pulled over every weekend, it was pretty modified and made its presence heard, Ive been driving bmw's that are much faster for 6 years now and only have 1 ticket for no seatbelt, unbelievable.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:51 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
its funny you say that, when I use to have my crx I use to get pulled over every weekend, it was pretty modified and made its presence heard, Ive been driving bmw's that are much faster for 6 years now and only have 1 ticket for no seatbelt, unbelievable.
Haha, yeah..

I think those little Honda's are the worst as far as being noticed by the cops.. ESPECIALLY if they are loud too with that annoying lawn-motor/weedwacker sound. lol

Old
10-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Toyota and Lexus dominate COnsumer Reports reliability... again

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/consu...-20121029.html

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

It is all about expectations.

Someone who buys a Toyota is buying the expectation of a trouble free car.

Someone who is buying a Nissan 370Z or WRX is buying the expectation of fun. Same for high end brands like Ferrari etc.

A magazine like Consumer Reports measures reliability and how much a vehicle measures up to owner expectations. Toyota and Lexus are brands that align perfectly with those expectations.

No one wants a car that is always in the shop, but someone that pony's up for a M3/458 has a different expectation for fun, and a different expectation of service/reliability.

Take Consumer Reports data seriously, but realize what they are measuring. Same thing for Top Gear, or le Guide D'Auto. etc...

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 01:14 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Haha, yeah..

I think those little Honda's are the worst as far as being noticed by the cops.. ESPECIALLY if they are loud too with that annoying lawn-motor/weedwacker sound. lol
I think any modifs that show get the attention of the cops. I know a guy who recently put some blue led under his RAV4 hood and added some decals on the back. He gets pulled quite often now but it never happened before.

Imho thats the main reason I'll never change anything visible on my car. Older stock Accords aren't the vehicules cops expect to be speeding.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:26 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

yawn

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
yawn
at least you're not denying it any more, just bored by it.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:07 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I think any modifs that show get the attention of the cops. I know a guy who recently put some blue led under his RAV4 hood and added some decals on the back. He gets pulled quite often now but it never happened before.

Imho thats the main reason I'll never change anything visible on my car. Older stock Accords aren't the vehicules cops expect to be speeding.
Yeah.. well... I think those type of exterior mods are pretty lame.. the most I'll do for exterior is tint the tails/headlights, a small spoiler maybe depending on the car, rims..

Did he add a Type R decal or something lame like that on it? lol

Old
10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
DAChampion

Just wondering,

If I pick up a small scratch on my car, how much is it to put on a coat of paint? Hundreds or thousands of dollars? Can this be taken care of in any shop?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:20 PM
DAChampion

Also, more seriously,

What do you guys do when shopping for cars to make sure you get a deal, or do you not bother?

My neighbour, whom I met yesterday, showed me his 2004 Nissan Maxima, beautiful car on the inside and outside. 200,000 km on it. He paid ... $7,000. Dang, good deal.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:47 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Also, more seriously,

What do you guys do when shopping for cars to make sure you get a deal, or do you not bother?

My neighbour, whom I met yesterday, showed me his 2004 Nissan Maxima, beautiful car on the inside and outside. 200,000 km on it. He paid ... $7,000. Dang, good deal.
2004 Maxima, 200,000km... for 7,000$?

Yikes...

Your neighbour got rayped.

Shopping for cars.. buying from a private seller.. make sure u get the car inspected by a trusted mechanic before buying.. if the guy has all his receipts for work done and stuff, that is a plus. It shows he actually took care of the car. Look for rust and stuff on the bottom of the car, rocker panels, etc..

Old
10-30-2012, 10:53 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Just wondering,

If I pick up a small scratch on my car, how much is it to put on a coat of paint? Hundreds or thousands of dollars? Can this be taken care of in any shop?
Where is the scratch?

It depends what kind of scratch and stuff too, is it deep?

Old
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Where is the scratch?

It depends what kind of scratch and stuff too, is it deep?
No, I was going at ~2 km/hr on my way out a parking lot and hit a concrete pillar by accident, I stopped immediately.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:00 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
2004 Maxima, 200,000km... for 7,000$?

Yikes...

Your neighbour got rayped.

Shopping for cars.. buying from a private seller.. make sure u get the car inspected by a trusted mechanic before buying.. if the guy has all his receipts for work done and stuff, that is a plus. It shows he actually took care of the car. Look for rust and stuff on the bottom of the car, rocker panels, etc..
His insurance company valued it at $10,200.

Used cars hold on their values very well here because of the non-winter. Virtually no snow on the continent.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Also, more seriously,

A 2nd hand car, you just shoot the price down.
A new car, lie to the seller, tell him other car dealers have given you better deals. Give him the details, but don't exaggerate.

You never accept the first offer. Never. Always ask for extras too.
I went back and forth among two dealerships around 3-4 times before signing.

Quote:
Just wondering,

Depends on the scratch. Small one then you can do a small touch up for cheap.
You can even buy a paint pain from the car dealership for tiny scratches you get little rocks on the highway or stuff like that.

If it's a deep scratch going from one end of the car to the other, then yea, it'll be pricey.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:05 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
A 2nd hand car, you just shoot the price down.
A new car, lie to the seller, tell him other car dealers have given you better deals. Give him the details, but don't exaggerate.

You never accept the first offer. Never. Always ask for extras too.
I went back and forth among two dealerships around 3-4 times before signing.

Depends on the scratch. Small one then you can do a small touch up for cheap.
You can even buy a paint pain from the car dealership for tiny scratches you get little rocks on the highway or stuff like that.

If it's a deep scratch going from one end of the car to the other, then yea, it'll be pricey.
What does cheap and pricey mean to you?

Old
10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:

Used cars hold on their values very well here because of the non-winter. Virtually no snow on the continent.
It's a nice car, but 200,000km is 200,000km..

Not my cup of tea

Old
10-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
What does cheap and pricey mean to you?
If it's tiny stuff, I had it fixed for nothing before, but I knew the guy so not sure if it's the same for every one. But could range from nothing to thousands.
But you're in Australia, not sure how it all goes down there.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:21 PM
DAChampion

Thank you BobbyFischer and Kriss E.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
No, I was going at ~2 km/hr on my way out a parking lot and hit a concrete pillar by accident, I stopped immediately.
I suspect you are looking at low hundreds. It's hard not to be in the hundreds on a paint job only because of the fixed set up costs of colour matching, buffing, priming, taping. Etc.

If there's metal crimping or other more serious damage it will be in the high hundreds .

Old
10-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Wow I just looked at online australian auto sales sites and current inventories of Maxima 2004 go for $9000-16000 Aus depending on options. I find that insane but I am not a Maxima fan so biased.

You are right the mileages are high and generally not impacting in the price.

But I suspect the price is more macroeconomic than just the weather. Supply and demand and competition on an island continent/country must have effects on price elasticity .

Old
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You are right the mileages are high and generally not impacting in the price.

But I suspect the price is more macroeconomic than just the weather. Supply and demand and competition on an island continent/country must have effects on price elasticity .
It's not simply "island country", as exhibited by Japan's comparatively extremely (like, rediculously) low priced used cars between 80k-100k, but it is certainly supply and demand.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote