HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
OLN/VS was a terrible network and having the NHL stashed on it wasn't too great for a little while. NBCSN, with IndyCar, F1 and Premier League coming up is a hell of a lot better. They're also going to bid for other properties.

The NHL could use ESPN but it is not mandatory.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
The NBC sports network is not, and will not be what ESPN is for a long,long,long time. They are an up and coming network, I will give you that, although I am sure there nightly ratings say otherwise at this point. Can you even remember the last time you watched that sports network, outside of watching an NHL game? I can't. I can remember, however, the last time I watched Sportscenter and ESPN, last night. They have a built in advantage that no other network can compete with. No disputing that. And it certaintly is not asinine or crazy to have the view that the NHL would probably be in a much stronger position among the casual US fan base if they were being shown 2-3 times per week on the ESPN networks, along with highlights of the nightly games being shown each night. Instead you have Linda Cohn and Steve Levy vocally opining every time they show an NHL highlight they are so rare. If you want to take the position that it is better to be the "big dog" on a second rate sports network, thats fine, but I REALLY think it is hard to justify that the NHL is benefitting more from such a partnership than if they were being broadcast into most sports fans homes in America almost every night.
In the past year, I've watched Olympics, Hockey, the Long Beach Grand Prix and Toronto Grand Prix (or maybe it was Baltimore) on there.

And you are right, NBC will not be ESPN because ESPN does one thing good and that is, Sportscenter. That is their bread and butter and the only reason anyone watches the channel. I have zero interest for watching sports center because they neglect the one sport I love. I realize I am in the minority with that. However, most sports fans will agree that ESPN has shotty sports telecast at best and most only watch for sports center. Not having hockey on there is no loss in production quality or viewership of the NHL. Everyone that wants to watch hockey knows where to find it. Having it on ESPN would not change that for better or worse.

Quote:
As to the Canadian comment. Look, the broadcasters are better in Canada, the coverage is better in Canada, the game is a bigger deal in Canada, and most of the players in the NHL are Canadian. Now obviously there are going to be knowledgeable people in every country who understand the game. US, Europe, etc.. But I do not think it is wrong to say that Canadians, as a WHOLE, understand the game more than any other country. Sorry if that offends you (it shouldn't), but its the truth. Deal with it.
The broadcasters are better, the average person knows more and this all relates to this dicussion how? Just because there is a bigger fanbase in Canada has nothing to do with the validity of your opinion. You even admitted that yourself so I'm not sure why you would even mention where you are from. I'm not offended that there are a lot of hockey fans in Canada. Assuming that since you are Canadian, you know better than I or anyone else is condescending to say the least.

Quote:
And finally, actually probably most importantly, this vague attack on the players and what is in their "best long term interests." I give you facts, the players are offering only concessions and asking nothing in return, and you return with what exactly? Can you please provide me with a rational argument as to why you think the NHL should be given EVERY concession in this negotiation. Who is really being unreasonable in all of this? I would be on your side if the Players wanted to continue the status quo, which by the way should not be considered an unreasonable position either, but they are not. They are willing to give in on pretty much every major issue. The problem is the NHL believes they are not giving in enough, and are trying to get MORE and MORE. The league has even made a fuss in the past about the players being allowed to play in the Olympics, because of its effects on their bottom line.
I don't think the NHL should be given anything. It is simply a matter of power. The owners have the power and that is all there is to it. If you are haggling over 10% of gross revenue and you share of that 10% as a players is smaller than your annual salary, there isn't much logic in sitting for a season. Ask Mike Modano and the other players who forfeited a years worth of salary to end up signing a deal that was worse than what they were offered at the 11th hour back in 2004.

As I've said a zillion times and you don't seem to understand, I don't think the players should accept anything they don't want to. It is their right to sit out for zero dollars. It is their right to hire a union rep who has a history of tough labor negotiations. It is their right to stand by while that guy stalls negotiations all the way until the summer time. That is all fine and dandy. I just don't understand what they are trying to accomplish in all of that. I also don't appreciate them whining on twitter because 1) they are often distorting the truth and 2) most people can not relate to their 1%'r problems.

At the end of the day, the players will be worse off financially no matter what deal they sign now. I think it was/is the in the players' best interest to get to the negotiating table and find the best deal they possibly can in order to not miss any time. It is too late for that now so they have to minimize the damage.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

WILD'S SETOGUCHI SIGNS WITH ECHL'S ONTARIO (CA) REIGN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408478

Old
10-30-2012, 06:14 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
WILD'S SETOGUCHI SIGNS WITH ECHL'S ONTARIO (CA) REIGN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408478
Never thought Seto was happy in Minny, the guy seems like he is a California person.

He didn't want to be traded from San Jose.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:44 PM
damacles1156

The only thing that really upsets me is; this pushes Kopitar/Brown closer to their contracts ending....

They both are not in Kings uniforms.... So mad about that.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Well, it has come to that point ladies and gents. Starting tomorrow night I am following the Clippers.

Yep, i'm sad as well. Baseball starts in April, no hockey, MLS is garbage....I got to have SOME L.A. team to be interested in.

NBA and EPL will have to get me through to the Spring.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:31 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Well, it has come to that point ladies and gents. Starting tomorrow night I am following the Clippers.

Yep, i'm sad as well. Baseball starts in April, no hockey, MLS is garbage....I got to have SOME L.A. team to be interested in.

NBA and EPL will have to get me through to the Spring.
Welcome aboard.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:34 PM
bobafettish*

clippers? no thank you, unless you like flopping.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

apparently a super insider for the oilers has said it is expected that when the lockout ends, 1 of the big 4 is on the move.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
bobafettish*

i'd get rid of horse face. wonder who the oilers are targeting, maybe OEL or yandle.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Aggen

Wrong thread?

Take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...B56XaLM0#t=75s if you are interesting in watching Kopitar's pretty neat 2-2 goal 18 mins into the 3rd period earlier today.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
i'd get rid of horse face. wonder who the oilers are targeting, maybe OEL or yandle.
They will probably get rid of Yakupov since they already know what they have with the other 3. Rumours are it involves Rangers defencemen though. Since the Rangers need cap relief and have a ton of good defencemen

Old
10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
They will probably get rid of Yakupov since they already know what they have with the other 3. Rumours are it involves Rangers defencemen though. Since the Rangers need cap relief and have a ton of good defencemen
Hall for Staal?

Old
10-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Hall for Staal?
It would like be a shut down style guy if true. Hall for Girardi/Staal + would probably be just a small facet of a deal if it included the likes of Taylor Hall.

We're talking a 1st overall pick here, however, an oft-injured 1st overall pick.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:22 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Do the Oil really need more defensemen before they know what they have? This:

Smid-N.Schultz
Whitney-Petry
Peckham-Sutton
Teubert, J. Schultz, Potter

isn't a terrible d-core. Seems like it's one solid veteran signing away from being good to me. Especially not at the price of one of the big 4, and with a new coach in place. Remember how when the Kings lost Blake everyone was predicting doom and gloom, yet somehow the D was better without him. I think if the Oil stick with what they have and force someone to step up they'll see what they have already is enough. Especially if J.S. is as good as he's billed and one of Petry, Peckham, or Teubert improves defensively.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:10 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/176360081.html

Interview with The Donald by the local (for me) Wild reporter Michael Russo. Nothing earth shattering but it's interesting to see Fehr completely ignore a lot of the things that fans viewed as real concessions made in the leagues last proposal.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:41 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Burnside gives players and owners the business... http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ste-nhl-growth

Old
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Kings4thecup

I've got this strange feeling that something is getting done behind the scenes. I'm hoping they're going to make a last ditch effort to save the Winter Classic. Time for them to negotiate and settle. I hope I'm not going to look foolish, but maybe we hear something by Friday.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:04 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Do the Oil really need more defensemen before they know what they have? This:

Smid-N.Schultz
Whitney-Petry
Peckham-Sutton
Teubert, J. Schultz, Potter

isn't a terrible d-core. Seems like it's one solid veteran signing away from being good to me. Especially not at the price of one of the big 4, and with a new coach in place. Remember how when the Kings lost Blake everyone was predicting doom and gloom, yet somehow the D was better without him. I think if the Oil stick with what they have and force someone to step up they'll see what they have already is enough. Especially if J.S. is as good as he's billed and one of Petry, Peckham, or Teubert improves defensively.
I disagree. There is not a top 2....or a potential top 2 there. They have a couple guys that MIGHT be good 3's but definitely don't stack up with good 3's in the league

Smid is very average. Schultz is Matt Greene (3rd Dman on a bad team or 5th dman on a good team.) Whitney should be better and needs to stay healthy.

And don't go quoting any Schultz statistics from the Capitals. That was luck. Great in the locker room...but still Matt Greene. Great warrior and necessary for a champion, but not a top 4 dman.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

100% too much basketball talk itt

The worst part about this lockout is missing out on an absolute goldmine of LOLeafs from 24/7

Old
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
100% too much basketball talk itt

The worst part about this lockout is missing out on an absolute goldmine of LOLeafs from 24/7
With all due respect, the NBA is playing, and the NHL ain't.

I gave the basketball fans hell on "my" site last season, and laughed in their faces, while going (and enjoying) to all the Kings' home games.

Time for them to give me a little payback.

10-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
I've got this strange feeling that something is getting done behind the scenes. I'm hoping they're going to make a last ditch effort to save the Winter Classic. Time for them to negotiate and settle. I hope I'm not going to look foolish, but maybe we hear something by Friday.
Quote:

Darren DregerVerified ‏@DarrenDreger

S.Fehr and B.Daly talked extensively on the phone on Tues about a variety of issues. Hopefully it leads to meaningful negotiating

Maybe, but I doubt it. If they cancel the Winter Classic by tomorrow, the lose only $100,000, but if they wait, it will cost them several million dollars.

This is all about saving money. Not timing.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Question about the new Fox Sports deal: Are they gonna improve their hockey coverage? Because their coverage has been piss-poor over the last several years. No pregame show, no studio analysts, no video highlights of other games around the league during intermission. Horrible.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Question about the new Fox Sports deal: Are they gonna improve their hockey coverage? Because their coverage has been piss-poor over the last several years. No pregame show, no studio analysts, no video highlights of other games around the league during intermission. Horrible.
Might depend on how many more TV rights they lose...and by that I mean the Dodgers....

Old
10-31-2012, 10:52 PM
damacles1156

The Winter Classic is only important to the two teams playing in it.

The rest of the owners don't care about it.

Closed Thread