HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2012, 03:03 PM
  #376
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,015
vCash: 500
Is anyone here great in English and would be kind enough to help me with my homework? It would only take about 2-3 minutes.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:05 PM
  #377
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
So here's my graduate school choices (potential thesis subjects in parentheses):

University of Montreal (exoplanets or white dwarves)
McGill (neutron stars or hard coatings)
Polytechnique (risk management)
Tufts (extragalactic physics)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:16 PM
  #378
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
So here's my graduate school choices (potential thesis subjects in parentheses):

University of Montreal (exoplanets or white dwarves)
McGill (neutron stars or hard coatings)
Polytechnique (risk management)
Tufts (extragalactic physics)
What do you like?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
  #379
Adamcrazy3
Registered User
 
Adamcrazy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fes, Morocco
Country: Morocco
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Is there anyone who took comm226 recently and found the question bank useful for the final exam?


Last edited by Adamcrazy3: 10-31-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:19 PM
  #380
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,664
vCash: 500
Anyone have experience in COMM 212? I had to sit through my teacher berate the entire class on how bad our presentations were. I felt like we were in grade school.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:25 PM
  #381
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
So here's my graduate school choices (potential thesis subjects in parentheses):

University of Montreal (exoplanets or white dwarves)
McGill (neutron stars or hard coatings)
Polytechnique (risk management)
Tufts (extragalactic physics)
Dude, I'm an astronomer too, awesome !!

It's a great field to be in, and all the ones you list are good choices.

Exoplanets are a very hot topic now, and neutron stars and white dwarves have a high potential to be hot topics. All are good choices, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just go where you feel the most comfortable, i.e. where you'll be most productive.

I have never heard anybody say anything negative about Andrew *******. Haha, the website filters his British name.

"Extragalactic physics" is broad, I'm not sure what it means. It's a hot topic in that it's like 70% of astronomy in North America, so you can get a lot of citations on a high tide, but a lot of it is garbage and it may be hard to stand out on the basis of quality of work.

BTW, you don't necessarily need to know your thesis topic on day one ...


Last edited by DAChampion: 10-31-2012 at 08:48 PM.
DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
  #382
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 500
I'm correcting exams for the first time ever as a T.A. Funnest thing ever!

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:37 AM
  #383
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm correcting exams for the first time ever as a T.A. Funnest thing ever!
I want to apply as a TA and marker for next semester. My only worry is if I remember enough of the course and the fact I'll be teaching people I know. I don't feel like being asked for help by friends. I told a few I might apply and already got the "you'll give me 100% right?"...Nope, I won't.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:40 AM
  #384
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I want to apply as a TA and marker for next semester. My only worry is if I remember enough of the course and the fact I'll be teaching people I know. I don't feel like being asked for help by friends. I told a few I might apply and already got the "you'll give me 100% right?"...Nope, I won't.
If they really nag you afterwards for doing your job then they are not your friends.

You need to remember the material to be a grader but it doesn't need to be perfect; as long as you did once learn it properly it will come back as you grade.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:45 AM
  #385
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If they really nag you afterwards for doing your job then they are not your friends.

You need to remember the material to be a grader but it doesn't need to be perfect; as long as you did once learn it properly it will come back as you grade.
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if I give people wrong impression by not giving them benefits but I hardly care. In my experience, when you try to please one you'll upset others so its best to just be fair to everyone and I save myself the problems.

That's what i'm hoping for. I did well on 1st half of the course but had less success on the 2nd portion. I still got an A but didn't like it very much. Might as well re-learn it.

Unfortunately, the courses I am doing now and find relatively easy conflict with my schedule next year so I don't think i'll be able to be a TA for them...which is disappointing.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:39 AM
  #386
gunners14henry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Is there anyone who took comm226 recently and found the question bank useful for the final exam?
I took 226 during the summer and the final exam multiple choice questions were exactly the same as the question bank. Literally word for word.

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:36 AM
  #387
Price 89
Registered User
 
Price 89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Is there anyone who took comm226 recently and found the question bank useful for the final exam?
delete

Price 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:44 PM
  #388
patthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
I am a second year student in 'Science de la nature' and would like to know if you have any opinion on Calculus Three (Calcul différentiel et intégral III) and Statistics (Probabilités et statistiques). I am thinking about going in actuary or comptability or any other maths/stats domain in university. Which course could help me the most in University?

patthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:21 PM
  #389
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 8,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebest View Post
I am a second year student in 'Science de la nature' and would like to know if you have any opinion on Calculus Three (Calcul différentiel et intégral III) and Statistics (Probabilités et statistiques). I am thinking about going in actuary or comptability or any other maths/stats domain in university. Which course could help me the most in University?
If you don't do them in Cegep, you will have to do them once you get to Uni. So you can get a head start by doing them in cegep but I doubt it's required.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:35 PM
  #390
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if I give people wrong impression by not giving them benefits but I hardly care. In my experience, when you try to please one you'll upset others so its best to just be fair to everyone and I save myself the problems.

That's what i'm hoping for. I did well on 1st half of the course but had less success on the 2nd portion. I still got an A but didn't like it very much. Might as well re-learn it.

Unfortunately, the courses I am doing now and find relatively easy conflict with my schedule next year so I don't think i'll be able to be a TA for them...which is disappointing.
Do they have different requirements for TAs at Concordia or something? My room mate was a TA during her undergrad at Concordia. At McGill an undergrad has virtually no chance of being a TA.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:38 PM
  #391
pine
irregistered user
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Singapore
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,461
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebest View Post
I am a second year student in 'Science de la nature' and would like to know if you have any opinion on Calculus Three (Calcul différentiel et intégral III) and Statistics (Probabilités et statistiques). I am thinking about going in actuary or comptability or any other maths/stats domain in university. Which course could help me the most in University?
Do it. It helps with your university course levels, especially if you're going into math. I should have taken those courses in CEGEP because they were pretty similar to the ones I took at Concordia.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:16 PM
  #392
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Do they have different requirements for TAs at Concordia or something? My room mate was a TA during her undergrad at Concordia. At McGill an undergrad has virtually no chance of being a TA.
It goes by PhD then masters then undergrad. I'm not in a big program so there's chances I can be a TA. That being said, i've had undergrad TAs in engineering but I've never ever had undergrad TAs for classes related to my engineering option.

You need A to be considered and are pretty much last resort.

Simple google search reveals:

•The salary for graduate students serving as teaching assistants is currently $26.51/hour. In exceptional cases where no qualified graduate students have applied to a position, undergraduate students might be hired as undergraduate course assistants, at an hourly rate of $12.00.

http://www.mech-tabot.ece.mcgill.ca/index.php


Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 11-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.
LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:19 PM
  #393
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Well I guess that's the problem then; there are no shortages of grad students in most fields at McGill.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:02 PM
  #394
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Well I guess that's the problem then; there are no shortages of grad students in most fields at McGill.
Depends the field. In engineering it is much much easier because of the large number of tutorials and labs.

At concordia I have yet to meet an undergrad TA for arts related courses. In engineering it's not too common but it happens.

I think it's more related to the fact concordia has more undergrad students than Mcgill which having similar grad student numbers.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
  #395
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Depends the field. In engineering it is much much easier because of the large number of tutorials and labs.

At concordia I have yet to meet an undergrad TA for arts related courses. In engineering it's not too common but it happens.

I think it's more related to the fact concordia has more undergrad students than Mcgill which having similar grad student numbers.
I don't know. Most classes in Arts at McGill have conferences (I have never had a class without conferences), which are run by TAs. I have never seen an undergrad TA in any of my classes, nor heard of one having a position.

I think the last point is crucial here. McGill's ratio of grad students to undergrad students is much higher than Concordia.

McGill:

9000 Grad Students : 26,000 Undergrad Students (more than 1:3)

Concordia:

7,300 Grad Students : 36,000 Undergrad Students (almost 1:5)

Shortages of TA applicants are much more likely at Concordia than McGill I would imagine as a result.

I had no idea Concordia had so many students, christ.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:48 PM
  #396
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebest View Post
I am a second year student in 'Science de la nature' and would like to know if you have any opinion on Calculus Three (Calcul différentiel et intégral III) and Statistics (Probabilités et statistiques). I am thinking about going in actuary or comptability or any other maths/stats domain in university. Which course could help me the most in University?
I would recommend doing both. You'll probably have to retake them at the University level, it will be easier then if you have taken them both already.

Your last semester CEGEP grades should count for... nothing at all. Don't worry about an 80 versus an 85. just focus on enjoying and learning the material.

It's very important to enjoy the summer between CEGEP and university.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:51 PM
  #397
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't know. Most classes in Arts at McGill have conferences (I have never had a class without conferences), which are run by TAs. I have never seen an undergrad TA in any of my classes, nor heard of one having a position.

I think the last point is crucial here. McGill's ratio of grad students to undergrad students is much higher than Concordia.

McGill:

9000 Grad Students : 26,000 Undergrad Students (more than 1:3)

Concordia:

7,300 Grad Students : 36,000 Undergrad Students (almost 1:5)

Shortages of TA applicants are much more likely at Concordia than McGill I would imagine as a result.

I had no idea Concordia had so many students, christ.
In the math department, for example, I know of no one who TAed as an undergrad. You can be a grader, at which point you're also likely to give tutorials; I and most of my friends gave tutorials when we were graded. Responsibility level is similar, but not the pay lol :-)

I think one of my friends may have taught a class as an undergrad, but that was an exception.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:17 AM
  #398
patthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Well, I can only have one of the two, so I wanted to know if any of you had taken them and what you thought of them.

patthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:23 AM
  #399
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 8,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebest View Post
Well, I can only have one of the two, so I wanted to know if any of you had taken them and what you thought of them.
Prob and stats is easier than Cal 3. If I had to chose one to do now, I'd take Cal 3. However I did applied sciences in Uni, not accounting/math.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:54 AM
  #400
pine
irregistered user
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Singapore
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,461
vCash: 50
I'd take Cal 3. What you do there also serves as basis for other math related courses.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.