HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

vCash: 500
sorry bruv, the worlds only 3000

Old
10-25-2012, 09:53 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Of course it is.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigs17 View Post

The Team1200 have some of the most appallingly asinine commercials, especially the embarrassing jobshop dot ca ones with the same two idiots that play multiple times each hour at night. I always turn the station off when these ads strike. Ditto the severely-overplayed cupid ads.
Yep. Can't stand the ads, but I guess a necessary evil. Especially this one..

"In the canoe, Mom and dad are worried. Dad would call 911 in an instant to report a drunk driver...but boating impaired is just as dangerous".

Impaired boating is not as dangerous as drinking and driving. Both are bad, but it's not as bad. Notably, it's a lot harder to accidentally run someone over. I don't know how you can run ads that just make up false facts.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Spex

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but with a new work schedule I’m listening to the afternoon show again…and man is it ever bad.

First of all, if Dave Gross wants to be a comedian, I’m pretty sure Yuk Yuk’s has an amateur night so he should cool it on the air. Has that guy ever done anything memorable? There’s a reason the TEAM fired him once already

And Simmer…what can I say. I enjoyed his in small doses here and there over the past year, but 3+ hours a day is too much. I have never heard someone hijack a conversation and use the words “I”, “Me”, “My” more than this guy. And his interviewing skills are on par with Kulka’s. He doesn’t ask questions…he makes statements. And expects the guests to comment on what he just said.

Take Richardson’s interview yesterday…Simmer talked a lot but I don’t think he ever asked one question.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
Hate to beat a dead horse here, but with a new work schedule I’m listening to the afternoon show again…and man is it ever bad.

First of all, if Dave Gross wants to be a comedian, I’m pretty sure Yuk Yuk’s has an amateur night so he should cool it on the air. Has that guy ever done anything memorable? There’s a reason the TEAM fired him once already

And Simmer…what can I say. I enjoyed his in small doses here and there over the past year, but 3+ hours a day is too much. I have never heard someone hijack a conversation and use the words “I”, “Me”, “My” more than this guy. And his interviewing skills are on par with Kulka’s. He doesn’t ask questions…he makes statements. And expects the guests to comment on what he just said.

Take Richardson’s interview yesterday…Simmer talked a lot but I don’t think he ever asked one question.
Agree 100% but to be fair these guys pretty much only know hockey. When the lock out ends I would think the show would get better. If they make it that long is another question.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Spex

My comments were based on hockey related talks (Richardson and Borowiecki yesterday and others), so if this is how they are with their “bread and butter” topics, I don’t see it getting any better.

But no matter what the topic is, Gross will try (and fail) to be funny and Simmer will turn the conversation around to him and one of his stories

And I think they’re here for the long run. The fact that they re-hired Gross tells me that unless they spend the money to hire a big name or pick up an out-of-town show for the afternoon slot, we’re stuck with these clowns because the TEAM is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Canadian91

Was Kaunisviita on the morning show today? Sounded like him.

Either way I enjoyed it for the 45 mins I listened to.. seemed better than usual.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

I have to say I am very surprised at how many of you seem to listen to the radio regularly.
I listen to the podcast of McGuire on the Team1200 and that's it.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I have to say I am very surprised at how many of you seem to listen to the radio regularly.
I listen every morning and at times throughout the day. Don't care much For Rome because I like hockey talk and ever since The Team 990 changed to TSN 690 and the reception in the car has gotten a lot better I tend to listen more. I wish The team 1200 would cover Hockey like the do in Montreal.

TGOR before 7:30am is alright. It is just when they get into the brainless segments and retarded emails.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
TGOR before 7:30am is alright. It is just when they get into the brainless segments and retarded emails.
Reporting the highlights from their NHL 13 sens season is not brainless.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I hear you and I'm a sucker for punishment, but...you can't win SuperBowl tickets by listening to the podcasts

Old
11-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
Reporting the highlights from their NHL 13 sens season is not brainless.
You're right, it's rocket science.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Seems like they have been playing many feeds from TSN. I heard the reporters today.

Man, i hope hockey comes back soon.

If there was ever a good time for TSN to take over, would be now.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
stigs17

Right on, Spex. Mr. Obnoxious Gross thinks his act is funny and has a smug attitude. Should have been canned for good the first time around. I can only stomach the odd segment of the afternoon show if there is a solid guest for Simpson to banter with. Yes, Simpson is high on himself, but at least he is connected to the NHL, unlike the rest of the station.

Glad to see many concur with my sentiments on the current Team 1200 roster. Having spent much of the past month in TO, the depth of coverage offered by the Fan 590 is infinitely superior to anything in Ottawa. As the Team 1200 has been bringing back some duds from the past (Gross in the afternoons, Stoodley for a regular Wednesday afternoon segment etc.), and with the CFL in Ottawa on the horizon, it might be beneficial to provide some grades concerning some recent Team 1200 fires/cuts before they are brought back into the fold.

Terry Marcotte B-
Bland personality on the surface (25 years of reading teleprompters and filing insignificant reports at CTV Ottawa evidently takes its toll). However, the CTV sports icon shed his vanilla image, came out of his shell and showed an alter-ego who had a slight edge and would not back down from his opinion. An interesting character study to his bookish Clark Kent-esque persona at CTV. Worked well with Versage, has a clear voice, stayed on topic, and was very well informed, particularly on the local scene, enabling both guys to play to their strengths. Tends to be the devil’s advocate, and often provides odd arguments. Makes me wonder: why don’t we ever hear the weekend guy Corey Ginther on the radio? He seems like he would have some interesting takes.

Kurt “The Creepy Whisperer” Stoodley F-
Now has his own regular segment on Wednesdays on The Drive. Ironically, is brought in as a sports expert, as Shawn Simpson, a recent NHL executive, is asking Stoodley NHL lockout-related questions. Evidently, either the world is upside-down or the Team1200 are really desperate to fill time. Verifying his unmatched ego, the guy plays the insider role with a straight face and proceeds to spend an entire segment listing his buddies (coworkers) who went on a Boston trip and slept on the docks. Stoodley is the most pompous, phony, self-promoting b.s. artist out there. Everything this guy says is 100% unnatural with a pretentious vibe. The poster child for Ottawa media d-bags who view themselves as talented celebrities. Buddy, you’re a co-host of an embarrassingly insipid and inane local 6am TV show (with no local competition) aimed at the half-awake and simpleton audience that could – and very well should – be canned any day. And drop the creepy whispering, there’s a reason nobody else in radio or TV does it.

Stuart Schwartz AKA Stuntman “The Punching Bag” Stu F
As much as I try to like the guy, there is nothing engaging about him. Blessed with a strong voice, he has zero personality and minimal knowledge beyond basic headlines. As astutely noted by many on here, he’s a conversation killer. Someone delivers a great zinger and he’s the one guy on the sidelines trying to figure it out. Making it worse, he then draws attention to himself by offering a weak mood-killing serious question or comment 1,000 miles after the joke. Ironically, it leaves one wondering why he bothered saying anything, for it merely highlights his dim-wittedess and mood-killing ability. The ultimate PUTZ. Profoundly lacks any wit or sense of humor; both prerequisites of a morning host, especially a flaky one lacking substance or insight. I am sick of seeing this guy milking every local public event (ditto Stoodley and Jim Watson, please get some hobbies that don’t involve self-promotion). I can't imagine how anyone with any solid musical or intellectual IQ can voluntarily listen to any of the nonsensical, forced pretentious morning shows with these annoyingly extroverted, hyperactive hosts. They promote a shallow existence which the lobotomized masses gladly follow.

“Jungle” Jim Jerome F
A one-trick pony who failed miserably in his LCD role. Stole valuable airtime. Annoyed guests. Took any cheap shot available. Remarkably unfunny. The ultimate windbag (Dean Brown being a distant second). Who at CFGO thought anyone would desire 3½ HOURS A DAY of this clown, especially in a well-informed government town? 3½ MINUTES A MONTH would have been MORE THAN ENOUGH, and only if proven he could deliver regular laughs, which was rarely the case. Hijacked intelligent interviews with his useless banter; had the attention span of a child with profound ADHD. Even daily regular Pierre McGuire was left perplexed, but politely tolerated his absurd and often idiotic questions. Scratchy voice, irritating over-the-top laughter at his own adolescent fratboy humor. Like pepty, slamigo, lynx and others on here, I would gladly avoid this guy at parties. He’s an obnoxious, senseless, attention-hoarding b.s.er whose overt simple-mindedness would be nothing more than an outspoken nuisance. And the fact he married up to get a doctor sugar momma to support his nonsense highlights his self-centred approach while solidifying his pathetic contribution to humanity.

Mike Eastwood C-
Man was this guy ever an irritable, humorless jerk with a major chip on his shoulder. Pompous, condescending and all-knowing with callers (just like Dean Brown was on postgame shows). Joked with MacArthur about ‘biker chick,’ free food and inside stuff going on in between commercials, but then saved his wrath for legitimate callers, while being buddy-buddy with a select few callers (like Irish Tommy, bless his heart). If one could get past these issues, he brought rare insight into the psychological state of the team without wearing the rose-colored glasses that dominate the station. The nightly Clouston-bashing in 2010-11 and exasperated “face the facts, this isn’t a very good team,” (while at the same time instructing the good listener that the Sens would never improve until Clouston was fired) was both intriguing and frustrating given the roster was nearly identical to the banged-up one that pushed a healthy Pittsburgh team hard in the 2010 playoffs with Clouston at the helm. Given all the negativity directed at the local team and its fans, it is surprising he lasted so long.

Scott “Milquetoast” MacArthur D
Incredibly ordinary guy, the Team1200 actively seeks these types. Clear voice was eerily similar to Lloyd’s. Combined with his knack for stating the obvious and bringing a list of prepared questions, I always thought of him as Lloyd Jr. Always had a vague, elitist tone, especially on postgame shows. Never challenged Eastwood’s irrational rants at callers, which made him come off as a wimp who took the path of least resistance rather than one of objective reason, which the top dogs in broadcasting master (Dave Hodge, Ron MacLean come to mind). Fine as a generic host for the pregame roundtable, though virtually every single call-in show was reduced to being Eastwood’s weak tag team partner vs. the enemy callers, as even those who gave solid points were shot down in a smug manner. As a host, his job was to deliver a non-judgmental forum for open debate, a modest goal in which he failed miserably.

Glenn “Kulster” Kulka D+
Yes he was ignorant, well in over his head on live radio and absolutely butchered the English language, though I enjoyed his passion and found him more entertaining than the vast majority of the current Team 1200 roster, which is heavily reliant on unfunny straight-man hosts (Lloyd, Gross, Versage etc.). Had some classic interviews, and was never afraid to attack the guest with verbal tirades, which (often unintentionally) made for some hilarious radio. The regular and well-deserved Lonie Glieberman dismantlings were classics. Ditto uptight bureaucrat Clive Doucet. Kulka could be used effectively in a limited role provided he is kept on a very short leash, away from callers, and in his element (CFL) with a strong supporting cast.

Side note: Given all the local connections, and recent resurgence in the game, the station should have a weekly local one-hour CFL show (May through November), preferably on Thursdays to set up the matchups. When the CFL comes back to Ottawa, I and surely many others would really enjoy hearing a pregame roundtable panel with a rotating crew of locals Jeff Avery, Stephen Jones, Mike Sutherland, Duke Ellingson, Ken Evraire and Kulka. Props for the early 70s Riders aside, they would offer significantly more than Tony Gabriel's slow, boring, longwinded anecdotes that have monopolized any Rough Riders/Renegades pregame show for the past 25+ years. The station even routinely parodies the guy with their clips of his endless insomnia-curing narratives.

Last edited by stigs17: 12-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Ohhh Franco

I cant ****ing stand Eric Macramalla. He's another one of the self righteous Team 1200 Dbags.

Overall, that station needs a serious revamp.

Oh yeah, I hate Steve Warne. Please get rid of him!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
12-09-2012, 12:14 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Macramalla is one of the better things going for them, no?

Also always like Scott MacArthur. Still try and catch him on TSN radio when I can.

Spent a few days in Toronto last week. The difference between 1050 and 1200 is even bigger than I thought. Didn't listen to 590 that much, except for a little bit of Tim and Sid. Those two are still great, although they'll never be as good as when they were on satellite radio.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Macramalla is one of the better things going for them, no?

Also always like Scott MacArthur. Still try and catch him on TSN radio when I can.

Spent a few days in Toronto last week. The difference between 1050 and 1200 is even bigger than I thought. Didn't listen to 590 that much, except for a little bit of Tim and Sid. Those two are still great, although they'll never be as good as when they were on satellite radio.
I appreciate some of Macramlla's insight and understand that you need a legal expert now a days, but I dont like him at all.

I really dont listen to the Team 1200 too much anymore. I get TSN 690 pretty much everywhere I go and I listen to TSN 1050 a bit at work. I really hope Team 1200 is rebranded as TSN 1200 and they make some serious changes.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:19 PM
stigs17

Somewhat agreed, Franco. True to his profession, Macramalla is very smarmy, overconfident, self-serving and carries an elitist tone. He's the guy who eats up 80% of the conversation at the bar thinking he's remarkably interesting (and is on a mission to prove it!), but completely aloof to the fact the perceptive folks can read his endless self-pumping within 30 seconds. Like one academic told me early on, "you don't learn anything when you make yourself the centre of attention." So many in life completely miss this, or would rather show off than learn and sincerely interact with others.

That said, like Simpson, I respect the fact he brings on relevant, current insiders and generally probes what the intelligent listener would wish to know (after the self-indulgent spiels). Still, it's odd how he went from obscurity to CTV's go-to guy for anything legal in sports. Polished Lisa Laflamme - one of the best journalists in the country for years now - already has him on speed dial, which is pretty impressive. I'll take Mac 1000% over fluffy time wasters like Jason "Airhead" York. Great guy, but the poster child for why ex-players should not be handed three-hour gigs.

Last edited by stigs17: 12-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 05:07 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
If you get a chance, see if you can find the interview with Brendan Bell from this afternoon. Think 1200 puts most of their stuff online at some point.

Pretty good convo about his time at the World Juniors and his career in general.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:02 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

stigs...wow I thought I hated the ottawa media

I haven't listened to the Team 1200 regularly for almost a decade, but I have always enjoyed Stu wherever he turns up.

He used to be a waiter at the bar at Algonquin College WAAAYYYYY back in the day.

I remember him being a pretty nice and funny guy. Of course I can't comment on the current state of the radio / tv business in Ottawa, but it sure sounds bleak from what you guys are writing here.

I wrote that radio & tv is a dead industry several months ago and there were a couple of posters that vehemently disagreed with me, but looks like I was right on the money (as usual)

If guys like Terry Marcotte are doing RADIO to make ends meet...wow.

What's next...lame radio guys doing Rogers TV?

It's a tough industry, and Ottawa is a very difficult place to make it happen in. I think it's Toronto or bust these days for anyone hoping to get in to the business. Or some bumf__k town station in the middle of nowhere that won't even pay you enough to live on.

Colleges like Algonquin really should stop churning out grads year after year that really have no hope of finding work in their chosen field. There will always be a couple out of every year that make it, and once in a while one will hit it big like Norm Macdonald, Tom Green, Jon Dore (arguably). Gord Wilson has done pretty well for himself too.

It's rough out there.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:00 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigs17 View Post
Somewhat agreed, Franco. True to his profession, Macramalla is very smarmy, overconfident, self-serving and carries an elitist tone. He's the guy who eats up 80% of the conversation at the bar thinking he's remarkably interesting (and is on a mission to prove it!), but completely aloof to the fact the perceptive folks can read his endless self-pumping within 30 seconds. Like one academic told me early on, "you don't learn anything when you make yourself the centre of attention." So many in life completely miss this, or would rather show off than learn and sincerely interact with others.

That said, like Simpson, I respect the fact he brings on relevant, current insiders and generally probes what the intelligent listener would wish to know (after the self-indulgent spiels). Still, it's odd how he went from obscurity to CTV's go-to guy for anything legal in sports. Polished Lisa Laflamme - one of the best journalists in the country for years now - already has him on speed dial, which is pretty impressive. I'll take Mac 1000% over fluffy time wasters like Jason "Airhead" York. Great guy, but the poster child for why ex-players should not be handed three-hour gigs.
Hah, I don't like lawyers either ... good characterization of them.

I think calling York an airhead is a little harsh. He lacks an edge which is required for interesting talk radio, but that is different from being an airhead.

I don't agree with a lot of the negative comments in this thread, but I will say I'm surprised no one has called out the increased prominence of Hammer on TGOR. From the mindless quips to the hyena laugh this guy is the most annoying on air personality they've EVER had. And that is saying a lot...

Old
12-13-2012, 09:56 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post

I think calling York an airhead is a little harsh. He lacks an edge which is required for interesting talk radio, but that is different from being an airhead.

I don't agree with a lot of the negative comments in this thread, but I will say I'm surprised no one has called out the increased prominence of Hammer on TGOR. From the mindless quips to the hyena laugh this guy is the most annoying on air personality they've EVER had. And that is saying a lot...
But you see JR is always picking on Steve and Steve has a hard time giving it back but hammer laughs at him and gives him a hard time so he's ok.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:07 AM
2Cowen

I forgot there was this one guy he was extremely knowledgeable when it came to hockey, he wasn't a part of the team cast but they played segments of his show on the team and I cant remember his name for the life of me....He would answer a bunch of questions emailed in too

Old
12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post

Lol i can agree with this technical guys need to stick to their line of work and not transistion to on-air unless they are truly unique and entertaining imo

Old
12-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
I forgot there was this one guy he was extremely knowledgeable when it came to hockey, he wasn't a part of the team cast but they played segments of his show on the team and I cant remember his name for the life of me....He would answer a bunch of questions emailed in too

Might be Garry Galley, he was definitely one of the bright spots for Team 1200 him and JR had one of the best segments ever. Really miss Galley on his four o'clock segment, great stuff.

Yeah pretty much agree on SImpson, he is a terrible, terrible bore. He reminds me of that guy in a classroom trying so hard to get noticed "Hey I know people...I worked in Novosibirsk once and it was crazy!" and though he might indeed have depth it just gets lost in one huge tryhard implosion. Gross is terrible, he also takes himself FAR too seriously and is a Bruins fan...though he never admits it. Never thought I would miss Lee Versage but there we are...

Closed Thread