HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-31-2012, 05:14 PM
e46330ivs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
It's a nice car, but 200,000km is 200,000km..

Not my cup of tea
mileage is dependent on the car my cars an 05 and I have 218000km Ive done control arms and bushings, 1 stablink and 1 inner tie rod along with front and rear brakes once the car still drives and looks like new, but thats bmw. Hate to say it but the 04 Maxima is a piece of junk, my ex use to have one that I would take in for her the service manager himself told me to get writh of it, granted he's a buddy of mine but still. If the abs light is on dont buy it chances are it needs an abs module for the low low price of $1600.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
mileage is dependent on the car my cars an 05 and I have 218000km Ive done control arms and bushings, 1 stablink and 1 inner tie rod along with front and rear brakes once the car still drives and looks like new, but thats bmw. Hate to say it but the 04 Maxima is a piece of junk, my ex use to have one that I would take in for her the service manager himself told me to get writh of it, granted he's a buddy of mine but still. If the abs light is on dont buy it chances are it needs an abs module for the low low price of $1600.
1600$... jeeeeesus...

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It's not simply "island country", as exhibited by Japan's comparatively extremely (like, rediculously) low priced used cars between 80k-100k, but it is certainly supply and demand.
Cool. An obvious benefit of being part of an innovative and quality driven culture which locally produces some of the best automotive products on the planet.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:36 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Cool. An obvious benefit of being part of an innovative and quality driven culture which locally produces some of the best automotive products on the planet.
You mean like Lexus right ?

Still a HUGE notch under BM.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
You mean like Lexus right ?

Still a HUGE notch under BM.
I think even the helpful and considerate BMW owners who have nicely contributed to this discussion will know what I mean when I say you appear to fit the darker Beemer owner stereotype.

Last edited by Agnostic: 11-01-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
I personally wonder why Maxima still exists. It must cannibalize on infinity lines and pound for pound and dollar for dollar the Altima is better value and quality .

Having said that after owning 3 Nissans you will not see another one in my driveway .

Old
12-01-2012, 04:39 PM
poetryinmotion

Hi, this is not for me but for someone I know (a sibling). He's looking to buy a car between 10-15k, used, but in the luxury slash sports variety.

I've recommended three cars, all 2006 models or newer: the Infinity G35, Lexus IS300, and BMW 325I.

I know those are mostly starter models for their respective brands, what would be your choice? Or do you recommend something else? Take everything into consideration aka repairs it when necessary. Not sure which one would cost the most to maintain.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:42 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Pretty sure he could a 2008 Acura TL for the price. Which would be my (very personnal) recommandation. But I'm no expert.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
ClasslessGuy

Car Inssurance question here:

Never claimed anything in 5-6 years.

Moved to Longueuil (from Gatineau) in november. Inssurance went from 74 to 93$ just because of the location. I guess it's normal.

January 6th someone broke one of my windows. Total cost 550$. Paid the «franchise» of 200$.

January 18th someone cut me at an intersection and drive away... I follow her for a good 5 min, called the 911 got her liscense number etc. She was drunk, driving on suspended liscence. Anyway just got the letter from the inssurance company and I have 0% responsability.

Got my papers today for my next contract.... went from 94 to 141$ a month (2011 corolla rental).

So I guess responsable or not they don't give a &%??

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

Moved to Longueuil (from Gatineau) in november. Inssurance went from 74 to 93$ just because of the location. I guess it's normal.

January 6th someone broke one of my windows. Total cost 550$. Paid the «franchise» of 200$.

January 18th someone cut me at an intersection and drive away... I follow her for a good 5 min, called the 911 got her liscense number etc. She was drunk, driving on suspended liscence. Anyway just got the letter from the inssurance company and I have 0% responsability.

Got my papers today for my next contract.... went from 94 to 141$ a month (2011 corolla rental).

Who's your company? I'd change it.

I drive a RX8 and a Cherokee, I lost my licence one year ago and I got two accident(both no responsability on them) one of them which my car was totalled in and I have pay 161 for both car and I live on the south-shore too so yeah...

And I'm probably younger than you are.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:15 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

Call them up for an explanation, if not satisfactory threaten to change company. Shop around for a better deal. Check out Industrielle Alliance. I've got minimal coverage on an old beater and it costs me 146 per year.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Native

hi coolasprICE,

sorry, i didn't read the whole thread, but from your original post, some thoughts:

i'm in favor of certified used from the dealer. its inspected and you get a warranty. you can inquire what parts will need replacing in the future. you won't get any of that from a private sale.

in general subaros are reliable. i can't say replacements parts are any more expensive than toyota or other foreign makes.

i checked consumer reports and they listed a few subaros to avoid:

Subaru Impreza WRX/STi ’08; Legacy (4-cyl.) ’02; Legacy (turbo) ’05-06; Outback (turbo) ’05-0

if you're interested in any other makes, and you're not a member of consumer reports, give me a shout, and i'd be happy to check for you.

cheers and good luck my fellow habs fan!

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
hi coolasprICE,

sorry, i didn't read the whole thread, but from your original post, some thoughts:

i'm in favor of certified used from the dealer. its inspected and you get a warranty. you can inquire what parts will need replacing in the future. you won't get any of that from a private sale.

in general subaros are reliable. i can't say replacements parts are any more expensive than toyota or other foreign makes.

i checked consumer reports and they listed a few subaros to avoid:

Subaru Impreza WRX/STi ’08; Legacy (4-cyl.) ’02; Legacy (turbo) ’05-06; Outback (turbo) ’05-0

if you're interested in any other makes, and you're not a member of consumer reports, give me a shout, and i'd be happy to check for you.

cheers and good luck my fellow habs fan!
You shouldve read the date also

Old
02-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You shouldve read the date also
indeed, lol! i always read original post, didn't realize it was brought back to life! hope he picked a good one

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Zorro

Anyone have one of the new BRZs that they'd like to comment on?

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I'm interested too. It's pretty. I got a 2005 blue acura rsx atm that looks sort of similar. I like that look

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
What I know... Exhaust note is horrible and interior is rather boring(like all Subby's)

Old
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Not seen the Subaru in the flesh but had a very quick look at a GT-86 while helping my sister when she was shopping for a new car. Seemed like a nice car from the little time I spent around it. Materials inside were nice for the most part except for some rather tacky looking mock carbon fibre which I would hope is optional if I were buying one. Otherwise, it seemed nicely laid out and good to the touch. I drive a 2003 Celica and the GT-86 felt kinda like an updated version of that inside but with a better quality of material. It's out of my reach for now but might see if I can take one for a test drive at some point. Good to see Toyota doing something a bit sporty again at last.

I know some people have complained about the lack of power/performance (which kinda misses the point of the car I think) but Subaru and Toyota have been working on upgraded versions for a while now. Probably won't be too long 'til those hit the showrooms. And Toyota have been working on a convertible version which they showed a 'concept' of not long ago. You can pretty much bet your house that'll be on sale with only minor alterations in a year or two: Link

Not sure if Subaru have any plans for an open top version but they definately have worked on an STI model.

Toyota (or a private team using GT-86 cars) has also done some racing versions for competition use (GT4 class IIRC). Hopefully someone, somewhere has the good sense to paint one white and throw handfuls of Castrol stickers at it

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 03-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Boulette Cannon

I would personally stay away from older Subarus. The older version of the 2.5l motor is notorious for head gasket leaks, piston slack and other major problems.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:25 PM
RC51

If your looking for the best bet for an old used car. something that was NOT beat-up or anything. Look for an older Honda Accord. Kids went for the civic and well they are hard on cars.
You want an old mans car, and honda has made the most reliable engines for years.
you should get about 300-400 thousand km on a well maintained honda engine.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Zorro

Thanks for the responses...i'm going to the Ottawa International car show this friday, so i'll be able to really take check out the BRZ. Hopefully they bring the Tech trim level as I want to try those seats.

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:19 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Thanks for the responses...i'm going to the Ottawa International car show this friday, so i'll be able to really take check out the BRZ. Hopefully they bring the Tech trim level as I want to try those seats.
That car always catches my eye on the road, a great looking car and by all accounts a great driving/handling car, although I am not a big fan of 4 bangers. I would get a Mustang GT which I don't think is much more.

I think everyone, at least once in their lives, should own a pony car.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
habtastic

What are your thoughts on the 2011

- Mazda3
- Ford Focus
- Ford Fusion
- Hyundai Elantra

They consistently show up as the best cars in all the reviews I do. I'm potentially looking for something the size of a civic and which I would want to add features to, but isn't large. I've driven the Mazda 3 quite a bit and it drives great. It's by no means a luxury car (obviously), but does anyone have a preference for any of these and why? Civics for some reason receive an 8 while these receive 9s or 9.5s for what they are.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post

- Mazda3
- Ford Focus
- Ford Fusion
- Hyundai Elantra

They consistently show up as the best cars in all the reviews I do. I'm potentially looking for something the size of a civic and which I would want to add features to, but isn't large. I've driven the Mazda 3 quite a bit and it drives great. It's by no means a luxury car (obviously), but does anyone have a preference for any of these and why? Civics for some reason receive an 8 while these receive 9s or 9.5s for what they are.
I'd definitely go with the new skyactiv Mazda(3, Cx5, 6 or 2.) Or the Elantra.
The Fusion is priced higer and not really in the same category and the Focus is horrendous. I have unconditional hate for Ford.(Unless its a F series OR a sport car, or even better racing.)

Old
03-21-2013, 01:46 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post

- Mazda3
- Ford Focus
- Ford Fusion
- Hyundai Elantra

I love the new Focus, in fact all the Fords are going in a great direction. I think you'll really enjoy driving it. Their quality levels are very good as well.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote