HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-29-2012, 11:42 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
I won't lie. My dream is my team jumps ship to a new WHA before the NHL sinks. Honestly, I can live with hockey without the O6. I can live without Jacobs, and Snyder, and Leipold.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I won't lie. My dream is my team jumps ship to a new WHA before the NHL sinks. Honestly, I can live with hockey without the O6. I can live without Jacobs, and Snyder, and Leipold.
the funny part is that the OP's main goals include contracting 10 teams first among them very likely would be your team.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:49 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
No, but I would like a start up competitor league to push them to make changes.
Oh, where have you gone Dennis Murphy, Gary Davidson and Bill Hunter ??

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would like to see this happens with every magor sports league in America and then two league would emerge from every sports. The diversity of content would be awesome. Those that feel that the NFL was always too strict, well there would be an alternative with as good players. Those that liked more physical players in hockey would have their league, while the other hockey league would be more strict and it would have a more european feel.

But as far as the NHL right now, it's an incredibly flawed model without a big TV deal, the players are making too much from a league bleeding money. I don't know if it's the league that should be folded or just find a way to completly reconstruct their deals with the players, maybe even stop considering the union at all and don't sign any CBAs, wait each year in the fall and watch wich players cross the line. And you offer this:

Once you become a NHL player, you make 350 thousand per year salary. Nothing more, nothing less. That's every players. And this will never change. And if you reach certain plateaus, then you get big bonuses. Say a guy would score 50 goals one season, he could get something like 5 million. I think that would be pretty damn fair. And at the same time, the business is healthy. But some franchises would have to disolved first so there's no weak link to the new system.
You should probably learn a thing or two about antitrust law before proposing ridiculous nonsense such as this.

That actually goes for much of what's been posted in this thread. The idea of the NHL owners dissolving the league (and losing billions of dollars in franchise value), then restarting it (a collusive action that violates the Sherman Act) is just sheer lunacy.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I like the sport of hockey and I like the players and teams. I DO NOT like the NHL, I DO NOT like the commish and I DO NOT like the way the league is structured. If there was an alternative, I would watch.

I keep hearing that a new league wouldn't work as if it has not happened in the past. You can tell some of you are very young. Leagues have folded and merged in the past....why can't it happen now? You think the NHL will last forever?
you keep mentioning that there have been leagues in the past that have folded only to be reborn new and better like a phoenix rising.

Please give me one example of that happening in this country.

PLEASE.

and for the record, I too would like to cut off my nose to spite my face, you know...just because

Last edited by TMI: 10-29-2012 at 01:34 PM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
you keep mentioning that there have been leagues in the past that have folded only to be reborn new and better like a phoenix rising.

Please give me one example of that happening in this country.

Please.
nha.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Another Contract, Relocation, Jingoist thread. OH where have I seen this before.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
I would love to see a 20 team league in 20 good hockey markets. A new commish, new rules, etc... if that ends up being the NHL then so be it...if not...I'd rather see the NHL fall and see a new league.
ok....i'll ask again. which 20 markets do you want to see teams in? which teams do you want to see contracted and which teams move?

which new rules do you want?

how would you like to see the league structured?

its easy to just complain. whats your solution?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Three Peat YOLO

Quote:

I keep hearing that a new league wouldn't work as if it has not happened in the past. You can tell some of you are very young. Leagues have folded and merged in the past....why can't it happen now? You think the NHL will last forever?
None of those Leagues had teams that were worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

None of those Leagues had a TV deal worth 200 million dollars.

None of those Leagues had revenue exceeding 3 billion dollars a year.

You want to know why it can't happen now? To fold the entire NHL, you would have to convince 29 owners to walk away from their investments for nothing. These men have put hundreds of millions of dollars into these teams, into advertising and TV deals and arena deals and so much more. They won't walk away from their investments for nothing. In that case, the only other option is convince someone to pay 29 owners of the NHL a severance package to compensate for their teams worth, their lost TV and ticket and parking and food and... revenue, the costs of breaking arena and TV contracts, etc., all so that said investment can disappear forever.

Neither of those situations are anywhere close to probable.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 10-29-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:47 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Absolutely not

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
None of those Leagues had teams that were worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

None of those Leagues had a TV deal worth 200 million dollars.

None of those Leagues had revenue exceeding 3 billion dollars a year.

You want to know why it can't happen now? To fold the entire NHL, you would have to convince 29 owners to walk away from their investments for nothing. These men have put hundreds of millions of dollars into these teams, into advertising and TV deals and arena deals and so much more. They won't walk away from their investments for nothing. In that case, the only other option is convince someone to pay 29 owners of the NHL a severance package to compensate for their teams worth, their lost TV and ticket and parking and food and... revenue, the costs of breaking arena and TV contracts, etc., all so that said investment can disappear forever.

Neither of those situations are anywhere close to probable.
I think what's funny is you think no matter what the NHL will never crumble. I'll tell you one thing. If this lockout lasts a while a new league could emerge. I'd be elated.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
As mentioned before by somebody else

A very interesting path to ponder about that unfortunately will remain just that. The real world implications of the entire League folding would be disastrous.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
If it did somehow happen, I'd love to see a multi tier league with relegation/promotion using the AHL/NHL. Also much stricter rules in the CBA regarding spending.

Player caps, hard cap/floor, players making 35-40% of revenue (HRR determined off of the median *30 - or however many teams there are), max player contracts lengths, and heavy revenue sharing.
Have to wonder who would play in this league. Certainly the NHL players who are currently getting 57% of revenue and fighting for massive contract lengths, etc., aren't going to like this set-up.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
I think what's funny is you think no matter what the NHL will never crumble. I'll tell you one thing. If this lockout lasts a while a new league could emerge. I'd be elated.
Wouldn't it just be easier to watch the AHL now? That's essentially what a "new league" would be, IMO [AHL caliber players, AHL caliber arenas (if even that good), etc.], so why start a new league when you already have the AHL?

Old
11-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Not a chance...the players would be lucky to see 30% of the revenue...
What? and get paid what they're supposed too.

30% is even generous.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Wouldn't it just be easier to watch the AHL now? That's essentially what a "new league" would be, IMO [AHL caliber players, AHL caliber arenas (if even that good), etc.], so why start a new league when you already have the AHL?
The new league would be started with existing NHL players.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:39 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

People actually voted yes?

You want to destroy almost 100 years of History?

lolwat

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
The new league would be started with existing NHL players.
Doubt they'd play for the low salary and revenue percentages being suggested. Plus, if this league is in addition to the NHL, those players are under contract to their existing teams and couldn't sign in a new league as long as the NHL was still in existence.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Childish hissyfit polls ftw!

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:34 AM
if-away

I'd have a huge problem with the NHL dissolving and losing the Stanely cup, the tradition, teams, history, etc...

I'd have no problem with the NHLPA dissolving and the NHL bringing in other players, some from other leagues, and some from the existing NHLPA.

I'd follow the NHL with different players, because in a few years they'd be just as good as the current ones.

if-away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:37 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
You should probably learn a thing or two about antitrust law before proposing ridiculous nonsense such as this.

That actually goes for much of what's been posted in this thread. The idea of the NHL owners dissolving the league (and losing billions of dollars in franchise value), then restarting it (a collusive action that violates the Sherman Act) is just sheer lunacy.

What stops it from violating the Sherman Act now? Is that what Balsillie was going to challenege years ago if he won the court case for Phoenix?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by if-away View Post
I'd have a huge problem with the NHL dissolving and losing the Stanely cup, the tradition, teams, history, etc...

I'd have no problem with the NHLPA dissolving and the NHL bringing in other players, some from other leagues, and some from the existing NHLPA.

I'd follow the NHL with different players, because in a few years they'd be just as good as the current ones.
I concur.

Haven't read the whole thread and not sure if this has already been pointed out.

The percentage of people who wouldn't mind seeing the NHL dissolve is in the same neighborhood as those that side with the players in this dispute, as seen in a separate thread here on BOH, around 25%.

That is all.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
What stops it from violating the Sherman Act now? Is that what Balsillie was going to challenege years ago if he won the court case for Phoenix?
How Balsillie's challenge would have worked out is obviously an unknown, since he didn't gain control of Phoenix so there was nothing for him to challenge. But in the event of something like what's being discussed here, there are two major obstacles:

1. If there is any evidence the dissolution and restructuring of the league is being done for anti-labor reasons, that's a clear Sherman Act violation.

2. Owners of any teams excluded from the new league would undoubtedly launch antitrust lawsuits against the league/other teams.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
People actually voted yes?

You want to destroy almost 100 years of History?

lolwat
The players and owners have been doing a pretty good job of it already.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

There's no anti-trust. It's your company, you make the contracts, you can pretty much do anything. Nobody can tell you how you're gonna pay these guys.

And It would work even better if the whole NHL is sold like they wanted to do in 2004. That way there cannot be collisions.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote