HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At What Point Would You Hope for the Season To Be Cancelled?

Old
10-31-2012, 08:51 PM
rdawg1234

vCash: 500
After Mid-january. After mid-jan we're looking at a 35-40 game season. Just no point.

Win the lottery, get a solid centre prospect and then get setup for next season.

Too early for that though, we're about to hit November, still could get a 60 game or so season if it starts dec 1st.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
After Mid-january. After mid-jan we're looking at a 35-40 game season. Just no point.

Win the lottery, get a solid centre prospect and then get setup for next season.

Too early for that though, we're about to hit November, still could get a 60 game or so season if it starts dec 1st.
Leafs are not going to win the lottery. Not a chance. I'd be surprised if the Leafs ended up top 10 in a lock-out lottery conducted behind curtains.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:57 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Leafs are not going to win the lottery. Not a chance. I'd be surprised if the Leafs ended up top 10 in a lock-out lottery conducted behind curtains.
If that actually happens my suggestion is that the NHL should do the lottery live on TV so this way they can prove is was 100% fair and no one can claim they wanted a specifc team like Phoenix to win it. It would sure put to rest any conspiracy theories people have at how the lottery process works.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
If that actually happens my suggestion is that the NHL should do the lottery live on TV so this way they can prove is was 100% fair and no one can claim they wanted a specifc team like Phoenix to win it. It would sure put to rest any conspiracy theories people have at how the lottery process works.
You know they can weight the balls right?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:33 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Which, no doubt, the Oilers would win.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
We're picking high no matter what.

In a shortened season, the good teams will be well prepared and make sure not to give any chance to basement teams to win. It's essentially do or die. If you start badly in a 40 game season, you knock yourself out right away.

If there is an NHL season this year... 40-48 games probably puts us right where we were last year, picking 5th overall or nearby.

Plus, I want no part of a lottery that could be rigged. Why exactly do the Leafs need a high pick if you see it from the eyes of the league and their possibly corrupted methods?

Leafs don't need players to sell tickets, they would sell out watching AHL teams wearing Leafs jerseys. My bet is on teams like Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville, Florida getting high picks, and then teams like the Leafs.

If the Habs pick before the Leafs in the lottery (if it were to happen), I'll seriously lose my mind .

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
There is part of me that doesn't care if the season is cancelled.

We know this won't go past 1 season, because if it did, the NHL would be over.

The Raptors look like a fun team this year, the Marlies will be in the playoffs, not to mention we all have lives and such. Connolly will be gone, Lombardi will be gone, with any luck we will have a Monahan, Barkov, Mackinnon, Shinkaruk, Jones in our prospect pool.

I'm a die hard hockey fan, but it's gotten to the point where i'm not going to stand around waiting for billionaires and millionaires fight over who gets the extra 5% or some ****.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
You never know.... The league knows the Leafs would get the most playoff profit. If they were rigging anything, I think it would to try and get the Leafs a high draft pick to get those profits ASAP.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
That'd be weird... we're the only team to miss the playoffs in each of the last five years, and what has our highest draft pick been in that span? No higher than 5th OA.

Our highest pick was 2OA... though we traded that away to Boston. That's in the past now, no matter.

I can only hope that we are in a position to pick up a C that can help us move forward... Obviously MacKinnon looks good, but Barkov is of interest too. As a Leafs fan, I'm not too disappointed if we miss another season of watching a frustrating team. We have a decent prospect pool, and if we get lucky, it will only be improved next draft. If we get one of these top C's, we should be a very good team within a few years, and after all of the struggles we've been through, I'm happy to wait.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Our highest pick was 2OA... though we traded that away to Boston. That's in the past now, no matter..
Last 5 years finishes = 7th, 7th, 2nd, 9th & 5th = average 30/5 = 6th worst record.

I believe Leafs by finishing in the bottom 5 two of the past three years are better off playing to get a higher draft pick then a full cancelled season.

However I think that no deal by Christmas means no season this year.

10-31-2012, 10:44 PM
catgoldfish

R E P L A C E M E N T P L A Y E R S .............Get some scabs and get em now. Sick and tired of not watching anything but crap on TV.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post

It's kinda funny how you can say it so casually. Win the lottery. I've been trying to do that for years.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Preisst
Party On!!

I don't care.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:48 AM
The Blue Devil

Last lock-out lottery Burke got to pick 2nd overall, maybe he'd have the same luck again.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
You never know.... The league knows the Leafs would get the most playoff profit. If they were rigging anything, I think it would to try and get the Leafs a high draft pick to get those profits ASAP.
Who won the last time this happened? a team who happened to be on life support gets the first overall. There's no way to prove it but it's oddly suspicious and I wouldn't be shocked to see a Phoenix,Florida or teams like that win it.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 04:06 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Never. I want to watch NHL hockey. I don't ever hope to see a season cancelled.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

vCash: 960
Sigh, how come barely anyone reads the rules on the last lockout lottery...

I`m hoping for it to start at the beginning of December, it not that hopefully just before or after christmas.

Peasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Pyromaniac3

Mid-January at the latest then there is no point.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:13 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

I'd rather have a shortened season than no season at all.

Let's be realistic here, there is no chance the Leafs are going to win a lottery. They don't have that kind of luck.

I would laugh though if Edmonton won the 1st overall pick again. Then I would cry.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Remember when he said "Pittsburgh model? They won a ******* lottery and got the best player in the world... Pittsburgh model, my ass"? I'd piss myself laughing if that ended up happening, especially with how Burke bashed it
Burke didn't bash Pitsburgh winning the draft lottery. He bashed someone expecting Burke to rebuild the team using the Pitsburgh model which at the time was impossible but now possible.

So if Burke does win the draft lottery I have no idea what is so funny about that???

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Burke didn't bash Pitsburgh winning the draft lottery. He bashed someone expecting Burke to rebuild the team using the Pitsburgh model which at the time was impossible but now possible.

So if Burke does win the draft lottery I have no idea what is so funny about that???
He was asked why he didn't use the "Pittsburgh model," they won a god damn lottery to get Sidney Crosby. We don't know if the lottery was legit..but seriously come to think of it, nobody needed Crosby more than Pittsburgh from a business POV.

It's not exactly a hockey town in Pittsburgh, it was bound to get relocated if they didn't end up getting some superstar to put butts into seats.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Never. I want to watch NHL hockey. I don't ever hope to see a season cancelled.
This for me. Anything is better than nothing.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Frankly if we reach January with no agreement I say can the whole thing. Just no point at that stage.

As to the lottery, wouldn't mind if they changed up the format since with our luck three balls would still have us picking in the 20s . I mean we can expect them to rig it so Phoenix wins so they can continue the effort to save that team, but 2 onwards should be open. But really be nice if they increased the ball count beyond 3 so those crappy teams have a more legitimate chance to pick high.

This is just sad though. How many seasons do they need to kill before both sides are happy?

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Ed Belfour

I think no matter who wins the lottery people will say it was rigged. If it's us, it's rigged to get max playoff revenue. If it's a bad hockey city like Phoenix, well you know. Obviously I hope we would get the 1st overall pick, but seeing Edmonton win again would be absolutely hilarious.

Ed Belfour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:43 AM
BonMorrison
Roman Josi is bae.

I was only excited for 24/7.

Now that it's not happening - cancel the season.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote