HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 11:39 AM
YARR123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
I`m kinda hoping he takes Haapalas place...

Nieminen - Barkov - Hansen could be good! Hansen could really help take the focus from Barkov on that line....
...And could teach him a thing or two about professionalism. Not that Barkov is unprofessional but getting to play with an ex-NHLer and a current NHLer around you must have positive effects on a talented young guy like Barkov

Old
10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Someone whos been watching Barkov lately - only one secondary assist in four or five games now. So, how has he been playing?

Old
10-30-2012, 01:47 PM
fr9dd9

There u go!

Finaly, one goal for barkov.. dont know how it looked but still, alltough I think its time for some change in barkovs line, haapala out

Old
10-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr9dd9 View Post
Finaly, one goal for barkov.. dont know how it looked but still, alltough I think its time for some change in barkovs line, haapala out
Great to hear. The slump is over...

Old
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
thomast

The common problem on that line is Haapala right now. Haapala is really good on the PP, in straight attacks but when it's about cycling game he is useless. Tappara offensive game is heavily based on cycling game and saw Haapala losing the puck all the time and it was frustrating to watch it. Take Haapala out and put Jannik Hanssen in so it would be better.

Views from the game:

Worst game from Barkov this year despite having 1 goal. He wasn't bad at all but didn't stand out at any point today. He was very good on the PK. Still a pretty solid game.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
The common problem on that line is Haapala right now. Haapala is really good on the PP, in straight attacks but when it's about cycling game he is useless. Tappara offensive game is heavily based on cycling game and saw Haapala losing the puck all the time and it was frustrating to watch it. Take Haapala out and put Jannik Hanssen in so it would be better.

Views from the game:

Worst game from Barkov this year despite having 1 goal. He wasn't bad at all but didn't stand out at any point today. He was very good on the PK. Still a pretty solid game.
When a player scores a goal and is very good on the PK and still has the worst game of the season, you know he's a pretty good player.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Great to hear. The slump is over...
3 games without a point is a slump, then 2 games with 1 point each means the slump is over? I think you're reading a bit too much into what is simply the standard variation in scoring that any player goes through over the course of the season. I'm sure as the season progresses Barkov will go through further periods where he puts up a bunch of points in a hurry, as well as periods where his production slows, because that's simply the case for all hockey players.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:15 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
When a player scores a goal and is very good on the PK and still has the worst game of the season, you know he's a pretty good player.
I would say that he is very consistent player. The difference between his good and bad game is not big. That is definetly his strength. He has also made only 1 big mistake in 18 games. That is very impressive if we look at his age and his icetime. He plays 20+ mins per game and is able to keep up being safe player is very promising.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50

4:20 Barkov's goal

Good pass from Nieminen and great tip by Barkov.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
3 games without a point is a slump, then 2 games with 1 point each means the slump is over? I think you're reading a bit too much into what is simply the standard variation in scoring that any player goes through over the course of the season. I'm sure as the season progresses Barkov will go through further periods where he puts up a bunch of points in a hurry, as well as periods where his production slows, because that's simply the case for all hockey players.
Yes, I use the word "slump" loosely here, almost tongue in cheek. More seriously, variation or not, he is sliding in the scoring. But if he can keep up with PPG, it's good for a 17 years old. The red hot start made it look too easy.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:14 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Yes, I use the word "slump" loosely here, almost tongue in cheek. More seriously, variation or not, he is sliding in the scoring. But if he can keep up with PPG, it's good for a 17 years old. The red hot start made it look too easy.
I will agree that his early season pace was clearly unsustainable. I mean, he had 8 points in his first 4 games, 2 PPG over that small span, and no 17 year old has ever put up 1+ PPG in the SM-liiga. At the same time I'm sure nobody expected him to sustain that pace, it was just 4 games.

I think Barkov will probably fall a bit below 1 PPG by the end of the season, but he's still a virtual lock to have one of the best seasons ever by a 17 year old in the SM-liiga. Not only some of the best production ever, but also a very rare role on his team, being the guy they lean on in all situations (ES, SH and on the PP).

The last SM-liiga player to have similar tools to Barkov was Mikko Koivu. Both are/were big centres with very high hockey IQs, lots of 2-way ability, but not a tonne of flash or explosiveness. Koivu spent his draft year split between juniors and the SM-liiga, and in his time in the SM-liiga he put up 0 goals and 1 assist in 21 games, but he still went 6th overall (albeit in a weaker draft year than this one). After being drafted Koivu spent 3 more seasons in Finland, and put up 7 points in 48 games, then 20 points in 30 games, then 30 points in 45 games. I'm just trying to put into context how impressive Barkov's accomplishments this year are, and how 3 games without a point is nothing to be too worried about.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Chileiceman

What does the gold helmet mean? Do other leagues do that or is that just a SM Liga thing?

Old
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
What does the gold helmet mean? Do other leagues do that or is that just a SM Liga thing?
Every team's leading point scorer wears the golden helmet. Probably just an SM-Liiga thing.

Old
Huokaus

The top scorer of each team wears the golden helmet to make them easier to recognize for betters. I don't think other leagues use this.

edit: 3x the same answer within the same minute

Old
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Players with most points in each team wears an golden helmet. Yeah it's only in FEL and it is useless. It's been there for ages tho.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Loffer

ditto

Last edited by Loffer: 10-30-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huokaus View Post
The top scorer of each team wears the golden helmet to make them easier to recognize for betters. I don't think other leagues use this.

edit: 3x the same answer within the same minute
The Swiss league makes the team's leading scorer wear a funny flaming yellow jersey, from what I saw.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Miggus

The golden helmet is actually an elaborate ad by Finnish national betting agency Veikkaus.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Et le But

I love the golden helmets, I wish more leagues did that. I don't care how tacky it is.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:50 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I love the golden helmets, I wish more leagues did that. I don't care how tacky it is.
Lol, me too! It's like NHL09 or whatever, when you could play 1v1v1v1 and the goal leader would be golden... I think!

Old
11-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Leehh

Is J Hansen in same line with Barkov today? I think they would fit nicely together, Barkov is same kinda player as Sedins are and that line did look nice last year.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:50 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Is J Hansen in same line with Barkov today? I think they would fit nicely together, Barkov is same kinda player as Sedins are and that line did look nice last year.
He is more like the mix of Pavel Datsyuk and Mikko Koivu/Thornton. Jason Allison with much better skating?

61 Chris Connolly - 40 Jarno Koskiranta - 74 Antti Erkinjuntti
17 Ville Nieminen - 16 Aleksander Barkov - 36 Jannik Hansen
21 Jerry Ahtola - 85 Jussi Makkonen - 25 Henrik Haapala
81 Jukka Peltola - 28 Jarkko Malinen - 38 Sami Venäläinen

We will see Nieminen-Barkov-Hansen line today! I'm so pumped right now.

Last edited by thomast: 11-01-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old
11-01-2012, 07:08 AM
YARR123

Frankly I don't understand the comparisons to datsyuk. Barkov doesn't have the same arsenal of puck tricks. He is a very good puck handler but thus far he uses his puck skills solely for puck possession purposes (shielding the puck, moving in traffic), not to dangle around and between 3 players.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Frankly I don't understand the comparisons to datsyuk. Barkov doesn't have the same arsenal of puck tricks. He is a very good puck handler but thus far he uses his puck skills solely for puck possession purposes (shielding the puck, moving in traffic), not to dangle around and between 3 players.
I think because of the bolded one and stickchecking/defensive game.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I agree. Imo Joe Thornton is much better comparison.

Closed Thread