HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2012, 11:39 AM
  #176
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
I`m kinda hoping he takes Haapalas place...

Nieminen - Barkov - Hansen could be good! Hansen could really help take the focus from Barkov on that line....
...And could teach him a thing or two about professionalism. Not that Barkov is unprofessional but getting to play with an ex-NHLer and a current NHLer around you must have positive effects on a talented young guy like Barkov

YARR123 is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
  #177
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Someone whos been watching Barkov lately - only one secondary assist in four or five games now. So, how has he been playing?

Loffer is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:47 PM
  #178
fr9dd9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
There u go!

Finaly, one goal for barkov.. dont know how it looked but still, alltough I think its time for some change in barkovs line, haapala out

fr9dd9 is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:51 PM
  #179
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr9dd9 View Post
Finaly, one goal for barkov.. dont know how it looked but still, alltough I think its time for some change in barkovs line, haapala out
Great to hear. The slump is over...

Loffer is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
  #180
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
The common problem on that line is Haapala right now. Haapala is really good on the PP, in straight attacks but when it's about cycling game he is useless. Tappara offensive game is heavily based on cycling game and saw Haapala losing the puck all the time and it was frustrating to watch it. Take Haapala out and put Jannik Hanssen in so it would be better.

Views from the game:

Worst game from Barkov this year despite having 1 goal. He wasn't bad at all but didn't stand out at any point today. He was very good on the PK. Still a pretty solid game.

thomast is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
  #181
heksagon
Registered User
 
heksagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Finland
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
The common problem on that line is Haapala right now. Haapala is really good on the PP, in straight attacks but when it's about cycling game he is useless. Tappara offensive game is heavily based on cycling game and saw Haapala losing the puck all the time and it was frustrating to watch it. Take Haapala out and put Jannik Hanssen in so it would be better.

Views from the game:

Worst game from Barkov this year despite having 1 goal. He wasn't bad at all but didn't stand out at any point today. He was very good on the PK. Still a pretty solid game.
When a player scores a goal and is very good on the PK and still has the worst game of the season, you know he's a pretty good player.

heksagon is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
  #182
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Great to hear. The slump is over...
3 games without a point is a slump, then 2 games with 1 point each means the slump is over? I think you're reading a bit too much into what is simply the standard variation in scoring that any player goes through over the course of the season. I'm sure as the season progresses Barkov will go through further periods where he puts up a bunch of points in a hurry, as well as periods where his production slows, because that's simply the case for all hockey players.

ponder is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 03:15 PM
  #183
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
When a player scores a goal and is very good on the PK and still has the worst game of the season, you know he's a pretty good player.
I would say that he is very consistent player. The difference between his good and bad game is not big. That is definetly his strength. He has also made only 1 big mistake in 18 games. That is very impressive if we look at his age and his icetime. He plays 20+ mins per game and is able to keep up being safe player is very promising.

thomast is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
  #184
RaskY
Re-registered User
 
RaskY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,632
vCash: 50


4:20 Barkov's goal

Good pass from Nieminen and great tip by Barkov.

RaskY is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 03:20 PM
  #185
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
3 games without a point is a slump, then 2 games with 1 point each means the slump is over? I think you're reading a bit too much into what is simply the standard variation in scoring that any player goes through over the course of the season. I'm sure as the season progresses Barkov will go through further periods where he puts up a bunch of points in a hurry, as well as periods where his production slows, because that's simply the case for all hockey players.
Yes, I use the word "slump" loosely here, almost tongue in cheek. More seriously, variation or not, he is sliding in the scoring. But if he can keep up with PPG, it's good for a 17 years old. The red hot start made it look too easy.

Loffer is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:14 PM
  #186
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Yes, I use the word "slump" loosely here, almost tongue in cheek. More seriously, variation or not, he is sliding in the scoring. But if he can keep up with PPG, it's good for a 17 years old. The red hot start made it look too easy.
I will agree that his early season pace was clearly unsustainable. I mean, he had 8 points in his first 4 games, 2 PPG over that small span, and no 17 year old has ever put up 1+ PPG in the SM-liiga. At the same time I'm sure nobody expected him to sustain that pace, it was just 4 games.

I think Barkov will probably fall a bit below 1 PPG by the end of the season, but he's still a virtual lock to have one of the best seasons ever by a 17 year old in the SM-liiga. Not only some of the best production ever, but also a very rare role on his team, being the guy they lean on in all situations (ES, SH and on the PP).

The last SM-liiga player to have similar tools to Barkov was Mikko Koivu. Both are/were big centres with very high hockey IQs, lots of 2-way ability, but not a tonne of flash or explosiveness. Koivu spent his draft year split between juniors and the SM-liiga, and in his time in the SM-liiga he put up 0 goals and 1 assist in 21 games, but he still went 6th overall (albeit in a weaker draft year than this one). After being drafted Koivu spent 3 more seasons in Finland, and put up 7 points in 48 games, then 20 points in 30 games, then 30 points in 45 games. I'm just trying to put into context how impressive Barkov's accomplishments this year are, and how 3 games without a point is nothing to be too worried about.

ponder is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM
  #187
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,485
vCash: 500
What does the gold helmet mean? Do other leagues do that or is that just a SM Liga thing?

Chileiceman is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
  #188
Haite
x
 
Haite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
What does the gold helmet mean? Do other leagues do that or is that just a SM Liga thing?
Every team's leading point scorer wears the golden helmet. Probably just an SM-Liiga thing.

Haite is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
  #189
Huokaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
The top scorer of each team wears the golden helmet to make them easier to recognize for betters. I don't think other leagues use this.

edit: 3x the same answer within the same minute

Huokaus is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
  #190
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
What does the gold helmet mean? Do other leagues do that or is that just a SM Liga thing?
Players with most points in each team wears an golden helmet. Yeah it's only in FEL and it is useless. It's been there for ages tho.

thomast is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
  #191
Loffer
Registered User
 
Loffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 954
ditto


Last edited by Loffer: 10-30-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Loffer is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
  #192
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,033
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huokaus View Post
The top scorer of each team wears the golden helmet to make them easier to recognize for betters. I don't think other leagues use this.

edit: 3x the same answer within the same minute
The Swiss league makes the team's leading scorer wear a funny flaming yellow jersey, from what I saw.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
  #193
Miggus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
The golden helmet is actually an elaborate ad by Finnish national betting agency Veikkaus.

Miggus is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:44 PM
  #194
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
I love the golden helmets, I wish more leagues did that. I don't care how tacky it is.

Et le But is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:50 PM
  #195
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I love the golden helmets, I wish more leagues did that. I don't care how tacky it is.
Lol, me too! It's like NHL09 or whatever, when you could play 1v1v1v1 and the goal leader would be golden... I think!

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 06:42 AM
  #196
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Is J Hansen in same line with Barkov today? I think they would fit nicely together, Barkov is same kinda player as Sedins are and that line did look nice last year.

Leehh is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 06:50 AM
  #197
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Is J Hansen in same line with Barkov today? I think they would fit nicely together, Barkov is same kinda player as Sedins are and that line did look nice last year.
He is more like the mix of Pavel Datsyuk and Mikko Koivu/Thornton. Jason Allison with much better skating?

61 Chris Connolly - 40 Jarno Koskiranta - 74 Antti Erkinjuntti
17 Ville Nieminen - 16 Aleksander Barkov - 36 Jannik Hansen
21 Jerry Ahtola - 85 Jussi Makkonen - 25 Henrik Haapala
81 Jukka Peltola - 28 Jarkko Malinen - 38 Sami Venäläinen

We will see Nieminen-Barkov-Hansen line today! I'm so pumped right now.


Last edited by thomast: 11-01-2012 at 07:01 AM.
thomast is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 07:08 AM
  #198
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Frankly I don't understand the comparisons to datsyuk. Barkov doesn't have the same arsenal of puck tricks. He is a very good puck handler but thus far he uses his puck skills solely for puck possession purposes (shielding the puck, moving in traffic), not to dangle around and between 3 players.

YARR123 is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 07:19 AM
  #199
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Frankly I don't understand the comparisons to datsyuk. Barkov doesn't have the same arsenal of puck tricks. He is a very good puck handler but thus far he uses his puck skills solely for puck possession purposes (shielding the puck, moving in traffic), not to dangle around and between 3 players.
I think because of the bolded one and stickchecking/defensive game.

Leehh is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 07:54 AM
  #200
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Frankly I don't understand the comparisons to datsyuk. Barkov doesn't have the same arsenal of puck tricks. He is a very good puck handler but thus far he uses his puck skills solely for puck possession purposes (shielding the puck, moving in traffic), not to dangle around and between 3 players.
I agree. Imo Joe Thornton is much better comparison.

Tuomaz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.