HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
10-31-2012, 03:56 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
My current #1 stick is a 77 flex totalone 2-piece with a P14 blade. I like it a lot, very well balanced for a 2-piece, kicks hard too. The pattern is good but not perfect, I like the lie (~lie 5) and the loft, but I wish it was more of a mid-heel instead of a mid-toe, and I prefer a slightly longer blade.

I would love to try a 77 flex P92 lie 5, in any of Bauer's 3 lines. The high end Vapours and Supremes I've used have all worked well for me, never tried a Nexus, but would like to give one a go. The only problem is that P92 lie 5s are only available in Bauer's top of the line OPS sticks, which are a touch rich for my blood at the moment.

As a compromise, I may just stick with my TO shaft, and throw in a TO P106 blade, or even just stick with my current TO P14 blade, which does work pretty well for me.

Favourite stick of all time? Either my current TO 2-piece setup, my one95, or my X50, all worked very well for me. I prefer them over the other sticks I've used, which have been a collection of Easton, Base, Warrior, Rbk and Sherwood sticks. I guess I'm a bit of a Bauer ***** when it comes to sticks, but hey, I just like them.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Also, if I could find an old Stealth CNT...man that would be amazing.
I've got a Stealth CNT sitting in my garage right now. Probably have like 5 games on it, tops. hahaha...probably a bit stiff for you though

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hah, yeah unless it's in little girl flex I can't use it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 01:37 AM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Hah, yeah unless it's in little girl flex I can't use it.
Haha how tall are you/ what do you weigh?

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Kulluminati

Three sticks I currently use quite often are:

Bauer APX, P92 curve, 75 flex (cut down to about 88-90): Extremely light stick (420 grams prior to me cutting it), its like waving a feather around! My forearms don't get tired from too many stick maneuvers and I feel like a can deke and stickhandle a lot faster. Blade feels the puck very well and I have a higher sense of confidence stickhandling and shooting without doublechecking where the puck is on my stick. Great stick, currently my most used and will be for quite some time (until it breaks). My goalie friends have said my snappers are a lot harder to save since I started using it, I attribute this to a quicker release which I believe is the result of the low kick-point on this stick.

Easton Si-Core Synergy, 100 flex, Sakic Curve: A stick I've owned since I was 15 (6 years of usage! average stick lasts for about 6 months with me) extremely durable.. just doesn't seem to want to break. Very light, not as light as the APX but close (450 grams). Blade doesn't feel the puck that great but the kick points are perfect for unleashing monster clappers.

Easton S13, 65 flex (cut down to about 75-78), Sakic Curve: First 'intermediate' stick I have ever bought and used. I'm not a big guy (5'9", 150lbs) and I have always been using stiff sticks since I was a teenager so I developed my shooting technique to accommodate the stiffness of those sticks. So when I first used this stick (and every time since) the puck just absolutely flies off my stick with wristers and snappers. Pretty heavy compared to the two sticks above and the blade doesn't feel the puck that well. For its price (~$40 if I remember correctly) you can't get much better. Might consider buying intermediate sticks in the future seeing as I cut off about 3" of shaft every time I buy senior sticks, and apparently intermediate sticks are 3" shorter to begin with.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Frankie Spankie

Any Easton <$70 that is Sakic/Hall curve and 65 flex. I'm not very picky on model. I just particularly like the flex more than anything else since I'm not that strong.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Haha how tall are you/ what do you weigh?
5'8 / 200 but I should be about 165. I also hate sticks that don't flex between my hands, so I've found most low kick sticks that are 65-70 flex are too stiff for my tastes.

I'm guessing I'll probably get a Warrior Covert DT1 or DT2 in 55 flex from my warranty return...probably a bit whippy but that would be better than too stiff like the 70 flex.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:19 AM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
5'8 / 200 but I should be about 165. I also hate sticks that don't flex between my hands, so I've found most low kick sticks that are 65-70 flex are too stiff for my tastes.

I'm guessing I'll probably get a Warrior Covert DT1 or DT2 in 55 flex from my warranty return...probably a bit whippy but that would be better than too stiff like the 70 flex.
Haha oh wow, im 190 and id destroy something like a 65. Of course im a fair amount taller and load up a ton. So you were a fan of an INT se16 then?

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:27 AM
RalphWiggum

Current sticks

Bauer Nexus 1000 P88 102 flex:
Great feel for the puck, very balanced feel. Better for wrist/snap shots than slappers. I primarily use this one while playing forward.

Bauer Supreme TotalOne P88 102 Flex:
Slightly more of a deadened feel than the Nexus but still a good stick for puck control. Feels like a more powerful stick than the Nexus and you feel a bit more pop with slappers. I use this stick if I'm playing defense.

Easton Stealth S19 Grip Roy/Gaborik 100 flex:
Good stick for shooting not as good for puck control. I bought this one in a pinch after I broke a previous stick (Bauer X60 P91A 87 flex). The curve is pretty extreme so shots get a lot of lift. I would've liked to try this stick out with a lesser curve but it's not a bad secondary backup stick.

RalphWiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Haha oh wow, im 190 and id destroy something like a 65. Of course im a fair amount taller and load up a ton. So you were a fan of an INT se16 then?
I never used it. I actually have an intermediate SE16 that is flipped with a junior blade in one end, but those blades are tiny. Mostly use it for shooting around in my basement.

Since I'm so short, I chop a lot off the sticks, which makes them really stiff. I also don't like to drop my hand when I shoot...prefer to go right from carrying the puck into a quick wrist/snap shot. So I need the stick to flex BETWEEN my hands, not below them.

Most sticks tend to flex just below the bottom hand (mid kick) or near the blade (low kick). To my knowledge only the Nexus and Vapor flex between the hands (high kick). I loved the Vapor and just got a Nexus.

With the Warrior, I'm curious to see how a stick that is fairly stiff overall but in a whipper flex performs.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Ozz

Quote:
I never used it. I actually have an intermediate SE16 that is flipped with a junior blade in one end, but those blades are tiny. Mostly use it for shooting around in my basement.

Since I'm so short, I chop a lot off the sticks, which makes them really stiff. I also don't like to drop my hand when I shoot...prefer to go right from carrying the puck into a quick wrist/snap shot. So I need the stick to flex BETWEEN my hands, not below them.

Most sticks tend to flex just below the bottom hand (mid kick) or near the blade (low kick). To my knowledge only the Nexus and Vapor flex between the hands (high kick). I loved the Vapor and just got a Nexus.

With the Warrior, I'm curious to see how a stick that is fairly stiff overall but in a whipper flex performs.
Good to see this feedback. I was considering a Nexus soon. I'm similar to your build (5'10", 205-210) and also don't drop my hands much at all when I shoot.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Devil Dancer

I never thought about how dropping your hand would affect your preferred kick point. I drop my hand without even thinking about it most of the time, and I think I have enjoyed both mid and low kick point sticks in the past.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

I use an SE6 Sakic Curve INT stick. 65 Flex.

Super fun stick for sure!

I'm thinking of upping the flex on my next purchase though.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It really did hit home for me with the Widow. When I tested it in the store, I leaned on it a bit like you would for a snap shot, and it deflected fine. But when I tried to take quick wrist shots from a stickhandling position (which I normally do), they were pretty weak. It was just too stiff in the upper area where you push and pull with your top hands.

It's funny that at first manufacturers had no kick points in sticks...then they went to low-kick sticks...then to mid-kick...and now we're almost full-circle. The RBZ has a "constant flex" profile (i.e. no engineered kick point), the Mako doesn't have an engineered kick point, the Nexus has a "natural" flex (i.e. slightly stiffer in the middle but softer in the top and bottom), and Warrior has/had "linear" flex as well.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Malreg

Was using a pro-stock RS Stealth for the last year. Was around 90 flex. I loved the stick. Great feel, quick releases, and I guess I got lucky because it was very durable.

It was still in great shape until a guy fell on it two weeks ago and snapped it in half!

Now I'm using an old Bauer X40 while I find a replacement. I still can't decide what to go with though, as I'm not sure I want to spend $200 again. A guy that I play with swears by the Sherwood T90. He let me try it a bit in warm-up and I have to admit it felt pretty good, and at $130 it's pretty attractive price wise.

I've always wanted to try a TotalOne though...

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:53 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I got a bundle of about 25 Mission M-1's for free when I was playing early in high school, and I've still got a few of them left today, 8 years later.

I've had a variety of Synergy, Bauer Vapor, and other Easton sticks but always preferred the M-1. The only one that I really really liked was the Easton Grip-Lite, but I still prefer the original M-1.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Several sticks:

Newest:

Reebok 20K 75 flex Bergeron- love this stick. I need sticks with a vey stiff/"poppy" blade. Puck feel is very good on the stick too. I feel I need to quicken my release with the stick due to its low kick but that is something I should be working on anyways.

Bauer custom totalone 75 flex Int. Backstrom- Got this off the Bauer customizer. Unbelievably light, great shooting stick. Has taken some damage due to beer league use and I am not sure how much longer its gonna last but it is a sweet stick.

Reebok Ai:5 67 flex Crosby- love it. For the price the stick is great. Not the same amount of pop the other 2 have but suprisingly good puck feel, and being an Int. its still fairly light.

Next to try:

Either the Warrior DT 1 or 2, The new Warrior Dynasty (once released) or the new Easton Mako (once released)

Probably gonna either try a more neutral curve (Zetterberg or Iggy/Cammy) or something completely different: Warrior Wisniewski or this new Easton E28 curve that will supposedly be released on the new Mako.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
tsnTpoint

Anyone know where I can find a Sherwood Nexon 12, 75 flex, Coffee (pp77), right handed stick?

I have looked everywhere and can not find this model.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

I currently use the t90 pp77 85 flex. Love the curve and stick but a bit to stiff for my liking. This is why I would like to drop down to a 75 flex, but near impossible to find the pp77 blade pattern at this flex for the n12.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Anyone know where I can find a Sherwood Nexon 12, 75 flex, Coffee (pp77), right handed stick?
Sorry, I've only seen the n12 in two patterns, one of them is the Stastny and I don't remember the other. Good luck, it's a great stick for the $.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 07:52 PM
AIREAYE

Your local shop carrying Sherwood can easily order that for you.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Libérée, Délivrée

The stick I know and love and have used for a decade is no longer made as far as I know.

Montreal M95 (5 lie, 1/2" mid curve, slightly closed face, round toe, about a medium-sized blade overall). Says "X70" for flex.

I had two of them, one's shaft splintered a little so I started using the other one. Well, it finally broke on me two weeks ago, but not completely (ref didn't make me drop it and it isn't really obviously broken unless you're trying to use it). I was pretty upset about that and took a closer look at the one with the slightly splintered shaft. It was still solid and I put a little tape on it and it worked like a charm for my two games today.

If anyone knows of anything like that curve/lie/flex for a left-hand shot let me know. I'll probably buy like 20 of them.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Montreal was purchased by Warrior and they discontinued all the wood sticks and blades. I LOVED THEM.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:25 AM
NYRSinceBirth

I'm thinking I'm headed into Jarick's preference area, though currently I cycle:

SE16 Grip, 85 flex + Kremlin blade
Inno Maniac, 95 flex Kovi curve
Warrior Dolomite, 85 flex Smyth curve
Warrior Dolomite, 100 flex + Malkin pro stock blade
SE16, 100 flex + Saprykin pro stock dolo blade

I love the Smyth pattern, but the blade is really thick and just feels weird to me - I rarely use this twig. I like the Dolos over the Easton (Shape especially) but I chop all of my sticks by 2/3" so they're all a little too stiff ( I can flex them, but it's a workout).

My favorite is probably the Inno - the cheapest one - but it's far too stiff. I cut the shaft to about 54.5" (To the heal) and it's perfect height, I like the blade (Similar to P88, I like the feel as well), but it plays like a 110 flex stick. One timers are pretty nice when I load them up, but my snapshot game is non-existent.

I move my lower hand a little - I never developed an effective snap shot, so it's a small wind-up or load the gun. I'm thinking Nexus maybe?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You're using pretty neutral kick sticks overall. I'd be curious to see how you like the Nexus vs maybe just a whippier stick overall. I also wonder if you'd hate a true low kick stick

Those old Dolo blades that were thick had awful feel but lasted forever.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Malreg

I picked up a CCM RBZ 60 stick today for $119. LH, 85 flex, Landeskog curve.

So far, I'm not too impressed with it... It's pretty light and the feel is decent. Snap and wrist shots felt ok, but slap shots felt terrible. Felt like I had a 2 by 4 or something in my hands.

I was coaching so I didn't get to play around with it much. I have a game tomorrow night so I'll see how it goes.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote