HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

Hockey player files suit against CHL for unpaid wages

Old
10-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Nbr-17

vCash: 500
Hockey player files suit against CHL for unpaid wages

Hockey player Joshua Desmond files suit against CHL for unpaid wages

First of many probably.

Quote:
“We look upon our players as student athletes. We’ve never considered ourselves professional. We are under Hockey Canada, which is the recognized amateur sports-governing body.”
The fact that the owners are making money of these kids, does make it a professional league IMHO.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:05 AM
67sfan

Nonsense. This seems nothing more to me than a fringe CHL player who didn't make the team this year and is now bitter.

Sorry but these are not professional athletes, they are kids. Sure the owners may make money but these kids are getting free equipment, free room and board, a free season of playing hockey AND some spending money to boot. This doesn't even take into account the education packages offered by the CHL.

Nobody is forcing him to play in the CHL. Seems kind of odd to me that he only feels he was cheated AFTER he got dropped to Jr A.

I'm praying that this goes nowhere with the courts. If the CHL becomes required to pay players.....it's going to hurt all three leagues badly.

67sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:19 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
Nonsense. This seems nothing more to me than a fringe CHL player who didn't make the team this year and is now bitter.

Sorry but these are not professional athletes, they are kids. Sure the owners may make money but these kids are getting free equipment, free room and board, a free season of playing hockey AND some spending money to boot. This doesn't even take into account the education packages offered by the CHL.

Nobody is forcing him to play in the CHL. Seems kind of odd to me that he only feels he was cheated AFTER he got dropped to Jr A.

I'm praying that this goes nowhere with the courts. If the CHL becomes required to pay players.....it's going to hurt all three leagues badly.
I bet Patrick Roy made $10 million on the Quebec Ramparts last year.

And doesn't Jerome Iginla own a team? He's demanding 57% of HRR from NHL owners while paying his players about 2%.

This is long overdue. All the players want is for their education fund to be available at anytime. It's total BS that if a guy goes to the ECHL for two seasons after playing 5 years in the CHL that he gets nothing.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:16 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post

And doesn't Jerome Iginla own a team? He's demanding 57% of HRR from NHL owners while paying his players about 2%.

This is long overdue. All the players want is for their education fund to be available at anytime. It's total BS that if a guy goes to the ECHL for two seasons after playing 5 years in the CHL that he gets nothing.
What position do you hold in the CHLPA?

a) Where have the Mooseheads said they're not going to give him his education package? He's not suing for education funds. He's suing for money.

b) Signing an ECHL contract does not preclude a player from his education package, however, he does have 18 months to use it. How long should a team be required to hold his education package open?

Parents and advisors have had input into the CHL's rules governing education, and they've said that 18 months is the right number. Personally, I think it should be a bit longer, but just how long should a team be obligated? What about a player who bounces around the lower leagues for 10 years. Should his CHL team then cover his tuition and expenses at age 30?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:18 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
The fact that the owners are making money of these kids, does make it a professional league IMHO.
College hockey makes money off the players; are they professional also? What about groups that run minor hockey tournaments for charity? Are those players professional too?

Old
10-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
College hockey makes money off the players; are they professional also? What about groups that run minor hockey tournaments for charity? Are those players professional too?
I think you're comparing apples&oranges.
In college/university sports he money flows back to other programs that don't generate profits and/or the college/university. Not lining one individuals pockets.
As for the tournaments that you describe, again, the money goes back to charity.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
I think you're comparing apples&oranges.
In college/university sports he money flows back to other programs that don't generate profits and/or the college/university. Not lining one individuals pockets.
As for the tournaments that you describe, again, the money goes back to charity.
While college/university sports fund other programs, I'd bet there are more college/university sports (particularly in the US) making a LOT more money than CHL teams.

There are certainly CHL teams whose owners are doing well financially, but I'd wager that there are more who are just breaking even. Very few pockets are being lined.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
FC SOAP

Give them a paycheck, and let's see if they can afford to pay their own rent, education , travel and equipment.

FC SOAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC SOAP View Post
Give them a paycheck, and let's see if they can afford to pay their own rent, education , travel and equipment.
I agree, give him 41 hours a week at minimum wage (1600 or so a month). But let him pay his own room and board, travel to games, buy his own equipment and school package. Goodluck with that.

Yes some of the owners make money but so do owners in many Jr.A leagues. Especially in the BCHL where some teams get more fans on average than certain OHL teams (brampton). If the CHL players get paid then so should many other Jr leagues.

Although I do agree that even if they sign a pro contract they should be able to acces there education package. Even if it is 20 years later.

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
While college/university sports fund other programs, I'd bet there are more college/university sports (particularly in the US) making a LOT more money than CHL teams.
Yeah, it's called NCAA College Football.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Yeah, it's called NCAA College Football.
I can't imagine how much money that program hauls in, other than there are lots of zeros behind the first couple of numbers.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:42 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
Although I do agree that even if they sign a pro contract they should be able to acces there education package. Even if it is 20 years later.
I'm a bit torn on this one. I do think a players should have access to his education package regardless of signing a pro contract, but I think there has to be a time limit on it. The education package was established offset the education opportunities the student had to forego to play in the CHL. If a player plays in the NHL, he's received a benefit from playing in the CHL, and there may be no lost education opportunities (i.e. he wouldn't have continued in school after his NHL contract kicked in). In your scenario, Sidney Crosby would be eligible for 2 years of university tuition courtesy of the Rimouski Oceanic forever, despite earning more in one year than Rimouski makes in three years.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
ORYX

Perhaps the CHL just needs to reassess the availability of the education money.

The CHL is designed to develop Professional hockey players. Those who go on to earn sizable salaries in the NHL, European leagues, and even the AHL have been done right by the league.

The league simply cannot hold money for the players it puts into pro leagues, who can now afford their own education if they stop playing for whatever reason.

I'd propose that once a player signs an NHL contract, their education package is wiped. That comes with the signing of a sizable bonus, plus whatever money is earned while employed by that team. Those who go on to play AHL on an AHL contract should be granted an extension on the 18 months.

Those who do not pursue hockey after the OHL should remain at 18 months. They have 18 months to either request to use their education money, or to continue on in hockey, at which time the deadline to use the education money can be extended.

A union requesting minimum wage on top of all the expenses teams pay for, is stupid.

I see that battle going like "Here is the minimum wage you requested, and here are your bills for equipment, lodging, transportation, oh and a small fee for using the facilities"

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:28 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Willy Palov
‏@CH_WillyPalov

Quote:
Josh Desmond has officially withdrawn his complaint from the NS Labour Division. I feel awful for the kid. He got railroaded/used by CHLPA.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:51 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post

This is not about the players at all.
It is about 2 brothers trying to retaliate against the CHL.
The kids did not form this union......the najority of the players want nothing to do with these guys.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I can't imagine how much money that program hauls in, other than there are lots of zeros behind the first couple of numbers.
There was an excellent story on NCAA Football and how much money it generates on 60 Minutes this week - http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50135410n

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote