Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Nick Cousins

Old
10-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Houndpower

vCash: 500
Nick Cousins

How does this guy not get picked to play in the Super Series, when he's first in the OHL scoring ?

Houndpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndpower View Post
How does this guy not get picked to play in the Super Series, when he's first in the OHL scoring ?
HONESTLY....Do you really need to ask?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:12 PM
ORYX

If his omission is due to his current legal proceedings, I will be very very disappointed in Hockey Canada.

Omitting him on those grounds is no different then saying "Oh hey, so we've decided that you're guilty".

Remember one Steve Downie? Don't seem to recall Hockey Canada having that approach with him when he had all his league troubles.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM
StormSurge9

People may not agree, but it is pretty clear why.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
NHL Fanatic

The hearing is set for Nov. 5, a couple days before the series. Whether he's innocent or guilty, I'm sure they would like the court proceedings to play out first.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Ward Cornell

I suspect a lot of it has to do with his on ice antics!
and yeah his legal issues!

With those two combined it's not hard to leave him off.
Besides does anyone really seeing HC selecting him for WJHC?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:13 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Besides does anyone really seeing HC selecting him for WJHC?
Nope, I'm not even sure about an invite.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Houndpower

OHL vice-president Ted Baker said that his legal problems had no bearing on Cousins not being chosen.

Houndpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Spitsfan67*

I've never liked him, ever since he was a rookie for some reason I just couldn't stand him, I think it's because he has a big head, he's just a cocky kid and I know there's a lot of haters...

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:48 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
The hearing is set for Nov. 5, a couple days before the series. Whether he's innocent or guilty, I'm sure they would like the court proceedings to play out first.
This is exactly the reasoning. He's scheduled for hearings around the same time. Not surprising at all

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Skip Wiley

Unfortunately his reputation in the league is not helping him (and that is even outside the current legal issues). At this level almost anyone is replaceable and HC doesn't need the headaches that he could bring.

Skip Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
If his omission is due to his current legal proceedings, I will be very very disappointed in Hockey Canada.

Omitting him on those grounds is no different then saying "Oh hey, so we've decided that you're guilty".

Remember one Steve Downie? Don't seem to recall Hockey Canada having that approach with him when he had all his league troubles.
Big difference between Downie and Cousins. Cousins was charged with a serious crime, Downie had hockey-related issues.

Quote:
OHL vice-president Ted Baker said that his legal problems had no bearing on Cousins not being chosen.
Take that with a grain of salt. He obviously can't say "We aren't picking him because of the legal allegations"

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:42 PM
massey

Quote:
Can't believe you had to ask.Yes i would think his doings off the ice caused it whether he is guilty or not.Remember, Mr Branch wants the spot light on himself and only uses these kids for his benefit,not their's.

massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Big difference between Downie and Cousins. Cousins was charged with a serious crime, Downie had hockey-related issues.

Take that with a grain of salt. He obviously can't say "We aren't picking him because of the legal allegations"
I understand why he wasnt selected. Im stating I don't agree with it.

Because he has been charged does not make him guilty of anything.

Having him play in the subway series is not a distraction to anyone unless they choose to make it a distraction. He is a fine hockey player, is eligible for the WJHC, and leads the league in points.

For all we know charges will be dropped at his hearing on the 5th.

If he can play for the Greyhounds and wear an OHL sweater (at the OHL's discretion), not sure what the difference is in playing in the Subway series....

The Steve Downie incident, while a hockey incident, also cost his OHL team $35,000 and his manager his job, not so soft in the end. While Cousins incident is legal, like I said, could result in nothing, or wrongly accused etc, and he misses his opportunity to fight for a spot on his nations roster because of it. Alternatively, could be opposite, from a legal perspective. Thats why the justice system exists, you are innocent unless proven guilty. This is a case of Hockey Canada and the OHL deciding its okay for a player accused of a crime to play in their league, but not to fight for a roster spot on their countries team? Seems a little juvenile.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:55 AM
tourlord*

He's cocky and has a fat head. The complete opposite attitude of HC. Even before his legal problems I don't think HC was very fond of him.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:58 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
He's cocky and has a fat head. The complete opposite attitude of HC. Even before his legal problems I don't think HC was very fond of him.
Most teenaged boys (including the ones who don't play hockey) are no different. I'd wager that the vast majority of CHL players are cocky/confident. I think you could call Cousins' approach to the game and demeanor on the ice into question, but I doubt Hockey Canada takes cockiness into account.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:46 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Same can be said of previous WJHC members in Downie, Legein, Brad Marchand, Kassian to a lesser extent. Patrice Cormier.

Every example i'm being given as to why HC wouldnt select him, aside from his legal issues, can be refuted by past players of the same style of play.

So yea, you may not like his style of play, and that is okay, but he isnt being passed over because his style, he's being passed over because HC and the OHL has decided they feel he is guilty before even having his day in court.

Which happens to be BEFORE the subway series. I wonder if things clear up on the 5th, if he gets added. Will be interesting.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:

Having him play in the subway series is not a distraction to anyone unless they choose to make it a distraction. He is a fine hockey player, is eligible for the WJHC, and leads the league in points.

If he can play for the Greyhounds and wear an OHL sweater (at the OHL's discretion), not sure what the difference is in playing in the Subway series....

The Steve Downie incident, while a hockey incident, also cost his OHL team $35,000 and his manager his job, not so soft in the end. While Cousins incident is legal, like I said, could result in nothing, or wrongly accused etc, and he misses his opportunity to fight for a spot on his nations roster because of it. Alternatively, could be opposite, from a legal perspective. Thats why the justice system exists, you are innocent unless proven guilty. This is a case of Hockey Canada and the OHL deciding its okay for a player accused of a crime to play in their league, but not to fight for a roster spot on their countries team? Seems a little juvenile.

I hear what you are saying, but Nick hasn't done himself any favors. Especially when he has had issues in the past at hockey Canada events. He was left off of team Ontario under 17 team due off ice issues, who was coached by Steve Spotts right hand man. He has had a bad history of on ice and off ice issues. He was given a chance at a the under 18 tournament a few years back, but this year is his last crack to make it for Canada at the junior level. When there are many players of high caliber, I think most people on the selection group for Canada and team OHL tend to take more consideration for the player with a similar skill level and less baggage. Also with Downie, it easy to point the finger at him, but the guy he had his encounter with isn't exactly a great character guy (which is why he has been a journey man at every level and has barely got a sniff at the big leagues). Downie was a pure character guy on the ice and around the team. I just don't see the Cousins being a character player. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire and off ice and character issues have followed Nick around since as early as his minor midget days. Don't get me wrong I think everyone deserves a second chance, but I think his antics and poor leadership qualities have burned too many bridges for him. Time will tell, but coaches and gm's are pretty in the loop with everything that goes on and know more about kids than the average fan sees.

pinkfloyd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
tourlord*

Quote:
Same can be said of previous WJHC members in Downie, Legein, Brad Marchand, Kassian to a lesser extent. Patrice Cormier.

Every example i'm being given as to why HC wouldnt select him, aside from his legal issues, can be refuted by past players of the same style of play.

So yea, you may not like his style of play, and that is okay, but he isnt being passed over because his style, he's being passed over because HC and the OHL has decided they feel he is guilty before even having his day in court.

Which happens to be BEFORE the subway series. I wonder if things clear up on the 5th, if he gets added. Will be interesting.
Cousins has had problems on and off the ice as far as I can remember. He was left off of team Ontario under 17 team due off ice issues, this was WAY before the sex charges this past summer. What are you talking about? You compared Steve Downie to Nick Cousins.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 11-01-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Flaming
Old
11-01-2012, 12:23 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Cousins has had problems on and off the ice as far as I can remember. He was left off of team Ontario under 17 team due off ice issues, this was WAY before the sex charges this past summer. What are you talking about? You compared Steve Downie to Nick Cousins.
So you're telling me that Steve Downie didnt play a similar junior game to Nick Cousins?

I'm not comparing their incidents, one is legal, one is hockey related. Yes, Big difference.

Calling my hockey IQ into question because I have identified a number of players who have played for Team Canada in the past, who walk the very same fine line on the ice as one Nick Cousins. Pretty funny.

As for the Under 17 issues, those were not known to me, perhaps they played a large part in his omission.

But if you put your reading glasses on and go all the way back to my original post, it very clearly states, and has stated since as well, that IF HC is ommitting him because of the legal issues, that isnt commendable.

With the U17 issues apparent, it doesnt look so much that way anymore.

Give your head a shake. You've once again taken a perfectly healthy conversation involving debate, and decided to make personal attacks. This is your MO on these boards.....

Old
11-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

It could absolutely be a distraction. Cousin's isn't exactly known for a glowing personality (He's had a lot of issues with teammates in the past) and something like this is absolutely a distraction, because every player knows about it. Even if Cousin's was well behaved, it could affect the locker room and you can't have that.

Thing is, even if he's innocent, does it really matter? Usually in cases like this, we here denials, teams defending their players, didn't get that with Cousins. The team made him and the others go to councelling for it, and let him back on the team because what reason as they going to use to keep him off? This isn't the NCAA where they can just kick any player off without a reason (The sexual assualt incidents last year in the NCAA for example).

Back to Downie...you really can't lay the full blame. The coach was fired not because of Downie but because he allowed that culture of hazing to foster. And besides, we usually only get the story of poor Aliu being beat up by big bad Downie but Aliu's been known for his own issues beyond Downie and by the time we found out it wasn't all Downie's fault the story had blown over and no one really remembers that it wasn't like Downie was the bully trying to get some 16 year old to take part in a hazing incident.

Cousin's situation is completely different. Plus, another difference would be personality. Downie was considered one of those "love to have him on your team, hate to play against him". Cousin's reputation around the league is more like both of one of those.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
gowhalers

Guilty or innocent really isn't all there is to consider here. Cousins still put himself in a situation where he was 1 of 3 players to have had sex (consensual or not) with the same woman on the same night. Not exactly good character and/or morals and not someone I would want young hockey fans to be looking up to as representing either the OHL or Team Canada.

gowhalers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:02 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Most teenaged boys (including the ones who don't play hockey) are no different. I'd wager that the vast majority of CHL players are cocky/confident. I think you could call Cousins' approach to the game and demeanor on the ice into question, but I doubt Hockey Canada takes cockiness into account.
You obviously have never met this kid. Even as a minor hockey player he was a big mouth brat on and off the ice. I'm not one to generally not like a kid and everyone has their faults but he is an idiot.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 11-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.
superspitfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:57 PM
jughead42

Quote:
He's a gong show, and a cancer. He's just as likely to cost team OHL as he is likely to help them. Those points come with more baggage than they are worth when there are other options like Connor McDavid who could also put up lots of points. You got yourselves a real prize there in the Sault, that's for sure. Even without his sexual assault charges there's plenty of reason to pass on him for the super series.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:26 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
You obviously have never met this kid. Even as a minor hockey player he was a big mouth brat on and off the ice. I'm not one to generally not like a kid and everyone has their faults but he is an idiot.
I agree

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 11-07-2012 at 10:10 AM.