HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 11:55 PM
blitzkriegs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Yes!

1. Of all the things Bettman and Daly proposed in their most recent offer, one that really didn't go over well among some of those hardliners was forcing teams to reach the floor with actual cash instead of bonus money. It's a concession that got lost in everything else.

(Wang may be considered a hard liner according to this article)

Old
11-01-2012, 11:02 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Yes!

1. Of all the things Bettman and Daly proposed in their most recent offer, one that really didn't go over well among some of those hardliners was forcing teams to reach the floor with actual cash instead of bonus money. It's a concession that got lost in everything else.

good read. thanks for posting.

it must be an interesting dynamic in that room. Though all rich owners, they have such unique circumstances with regards to their hockey team and their respective markets.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:53 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Yes!

With Wang looking like he will get revenue sharing, he should be blocked from using ELC bonuses, to reach the floor.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
With Wang looking like he will get revenue sharing, he should be blocked from using ELC bonuses, to reach the floor.
that makes ALOT of sense.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:35 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
What did I miss? How can Wang get revenue sharing when we move to BKLYN?
It can not be considered "small market".

Old
11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
What did I miss? How can Wang get revenue sharing when we move to BKLYN?
It can not be considered "small market".
While nothing has changed yet, it appears as though being in a "big market" may no longer prevent a team from receiving revenue sharing in the next CBA.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:27 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
While nothing has changed yet, it appears as though being in a "big market" may no longer prevent a team from receiving revenue sharing in the next CBA.
Well that will really gild his lily.
It could make up the difference for the lack of seating. Revenue sharing is a key concern of the NHLPA that wants more jobs with teams that can afford higher salaries.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
NYI91

Just got retweeted by Billy Jaffe

Old
11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
JKP

It's funny that Jaffe would say that. I haven't talked to a single person here in Halifax that has expressed that sentiment. Almost every person I talk to says, "whatever, once it's over let me know."

Maybe it's that we have lots of hockey to occupy us until the NHL returns or because we're laid back Canadians, but most folks just don't care that much and will wait it out.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:54 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
It's funny that Jaffe would say that. I haven't talked to a single person here in Halifax that has expressed that sentiment. Almost every person I talk to says, "whatever, once it's over let me know."

Maybe it's that we have lots of hockey to occupy us until the NHL returns or because we're laid back Canadians, but most folks just don't care that much and will wait it out.
we're idiots. we'll go back, despite how unfairly fans have been treated.

Three lockouts...what a joke.

Bettman has taught me one thing. If I hold my breath long enough, I'll eventually get what I want. Wonderful.

Is he damaging the NHL brand with all these work stoppages? Being unable to make a deal WITHOUT a work stoppage? How much does it hurt the growth of the game to those "fringe" fans that had built some affinity to the NHL with a great winter classic? or a Stanley Cup in LA? Is this getting them closer to a gigantic TV contract with ESPN? or another major network?

Or is he simply hurting whatever "partner" relationship was possible with the players union and trying to satisfy some rich owners by making them more rich? and some poor teams by making the rich owners lose less money?

The players have no end-game.

The NHL brand is suffering.

Bettman's steering this ship with each lockout rubbing more and more salt into the wounds of those of us who care - and pushes away those who MAYBE started to care.

Well done.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
blitzkriegs

Bettman works for the owners. I get he is the face of the owners but he doesn't have unilateral authority to make this end. Under his leadership he has made the owners TONS of money from 400 million to 2 billion.

If the players wanted to play hockey this year, they should have never hired Fehr. Once he was hired the league was/is not going to respect his leadership.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Bettman works for the owners. I get he is the face of the owners but he doesn't have unilateral authority to make this end. Under his leadership he has made the owners TONS of money from 400 million to 2 billion.

If the players wanted to play hockey this year, they should have never hired Fehr. Once he was hired the league was/is not going to respect his leadership.
Totally agree. Yes, everyone involve with this is greedy there is no denying it. Nobody is being more greedy than another. The reason I don't hold Bettman responsible is very simple. Look at what is at stake for each side. You have the owners and players. The owners have a lifetime vested interest in their share, the players...10-15 years. BIG DIFFERENCE! The owners actually want the entire league to grow and keep getting richer and more popular because it strengthens their asset. The players just want to make as much money as possible while they can play. Honestly, I think Bettman has more care in how the league grows than the players and I think his actions over the years have shown it because the NHL has gotten better and better.

There is only one person in this circus that I think cares very little about the league and it's Fehr. Do I blame him, not so much. He's actually getting paid by the players not to care. BUT, the players have to do the right thing and make sure they direct Fehr on what they want when they actually care about a solution. As of right now they just don't. They will find jobs in other leagues and continue to lose money until they smarten up. It's not going to change until their wives start to piss and moan and they see how upset their kids are that Daddy is in another country, or they are in danger of missing a payment on their Audi or 6 bedroom 3 1/2 bath colonial. That's when they are going to say, "hey, I'm lucky to have a friggin job and I need to stop bellyaching about being rich, just not as rich. Would I want my kid to have a job in the NHL someday? Would I like that to be his dream? Then I need to ensure that there IS an NHL in the future and trust that the league is driven by savvy owners who have continued to grow the product and will continue to grow it and make money for my future and possibly my children's future."

With that said I have a question for you guys. I know that scabs worked in the NFL because the majority of their profit is driven by cable deals and not actual box office revenue unlike the NHL. I also know that most of you will say you won't go to a game and pay full price for scabs. What is your actual opinion on it and why.

I would be 100% for scabs for circumstances that are much different than many of you. I cannot see any other hockey. I live in Korea... NHL center ice is the only way I get my hockey and they don't offer AHL center ice, or ECHL center ice or any other center ice for that matter that gets me hockey. I would pay full price to watch the Islanders regardless of the roster because it's the only hockey I can get. I KNOW players would cross picket lines if scabs were brought in, there is no doubt in my mind. So, sound off...

Old
11-03-2012, 04:44 PM
JKP

I'd watch in on TV. Wouldn't be a lot different from the isles the last 5 years anyway.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:51 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

An agreement is around the corner. Owners now moving off of everything they said they wouldn't. I'd bet we're close to a deal in under a week.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:00 PM
SDIsles34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
An agreement is around the corner. Owners now moving off of everything they said they wouldn't. I'd bet we're close to a deal in under a week.
Love the optimism but I have to strongly disagree. a lot of what you hear from the media is based off negotiating leaders looking for good PR.

I'd say a season is looking hopeless at this point

Old
11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Ziggy16

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Steve Fehr and Bill Daly concluded their meeting around 1 am ET last night

Old
11-04-2012, 10:09 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Steve Fehr and Bill Daly concluded their meeting around 1 am ET last night
6 hour meeting, no leaks to the media, no players tweeting garbage, and an actual positive comment in that they had "good talks" and will meet again?

They are trying to get a deal done. This has gone on way too long, and everybody loses in this situation. Keep the ego's out of the room and get this done. People want and need hockey back. Our region has been devastated and we all would love to pump some positive energy into our hockey team. Who knows, maybe the Isles win a ton this year and surprise us?

Give us our hockey back. Stay positive.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:08 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
6 hour meeting, no leaks to the media, no players tweeting garbage, and an actual positive comment in that they had "good talks" and will meet again?

They are trying to get a deal done. This has gone on way too long, and everybody loses in this situation. Keep the ego's out of the room and get this done. People want and need hockey back. Our region has been devastated and we all would love to pump some positive energy into our hockey team. Who knows, maybe the Isles win a ton this year and surprise us?

Give us our hockey back. Stay positive.
I love your optimism. I agree that an agreement can possibly happen in the next 3 weeks to avoid more game cancellations. BUT, I'm not as optimistic as you, I can also see this dragging out, all due to Fehr.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:16 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I'm starting to miss Law's GDTs

Old
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I love your optimism. I agree that an agreement can possibly happen in the next 3 weeks to avoid more game cancellations. BUT, I'm not as optimistic as you, I can also see this dragging out, all due to Fehr.
I expect one more set-back if the deal isn't announced in the next 24 hours.

Then, it's either a quick fix, behind the scenes like this one or the cancellation of the entire season. I think there will be a deal this year.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
I'm starting to miss Law's GDTs
your telling me those are the best!

Old
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Fehr works for the players. If the players like there deal Fehr cant stop them. same for betman he works for the owners.
there just pawns they do what there bosses want.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I expect one more set-back if the deal isn't announced in the next 24 hours.

Then, it's either a quick fix, behind the scenes like this one or the cancellation of the entire season. I think there will be a deal this year.
I think there will be a deal by weeks end with a very short (10 day camp) and the season starting around Turkey day.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:32 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Jason Kay ‏@JKTHN

Take this for what it's worth – gossip – but hearing some team employees being told to be prepared for possible season re-start on Dec. 1.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Ziggy16

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hearing both sides in meeting spent first 3-plus hours on revenue sharing (among teams); picking up from last night. Not yet on Make Whole..

Closed Thread