HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sergei Fedorov

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Thesensation19

vCash: 500
Sergei Fedorov

Where does Sergei Federov rank in your top players of all time...

NHL totals
1,248 games---483 goals---696 assists---1,179 points...
261+ ---

NHL PLAYOFFS
183 games, 52 goals, 124 assists... 176 points.

International (Soviet and Russia)
64 games- 25 goals- 32 assists and 57 points

3x NHL Stanley Cup Champion (3x President Winner)
1x Hart
2x Selke
1 Lester B Pearson
6x NHL All star
Most OT points in career record
Fastest Skater winner

3 Golds in the World Championships
Silver and a Bronze in Olympic games

What others had to say about him...

"when he was on, his game was as close to perfection as you could get on the ice. On separate occasions, Yzerman and Wayne Gretzky told me that Fedorov is the most talented player they’ve ever seen."
—Art Regner on Fedorov playing in the 2013 Winter Classic Alumni Game.

Nicklas Lidstrom: "I think he's the best player in the league. He's real tough to defend against. He's got quickness to best you if you step up to him. It's tough to stop him."[24] Former Boston Bruins legend Ray Bourque once said: "Sergei is a dominating player...When he makes a move on you, he has the ability to maintain his speed or even go faster. There aren't many defensemen who can keep up with him."[24]

The Red Wings senior vice-president Jim Devellano said, "I’m convinced if we left him there, he’d have won a Norris Trophy"

Hockey Hall of Fame Legends biography article describing him as
"Equally superb at center or on the wing, and a high scorer with outstanding defensive ability, Fedorov is a pure player who has mastered all facets of the game from A to Z. A gifted stickhandler, he can take on two or three opponents at a time. But if he spots a teammate in a better position, he will pass the puck, whether it's a few feet or halfway down the ice."

Old
11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Skraut

Sergei Federov is a bum, never even made the NHL.

Sergei Fedorov on the other hand was a pretty good player.

(title change took most of the fun out of my joke, even if it is still in the first sentence.)

Last edited by Skraut: 11-01-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Fedorov got me liking the wings in the early 90s because we share the same bday.
He always centers Doug Mohns and Bob Gainey for me in those "make a team out of your birthday" threads.
And he was my favourite player for many many years until Leaving Detroit.

Personally, I would throw him into the HHOF.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:53 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

A tremendous player, I'd have him in my top 100-150 players of all-time. During his prime he was equally good on offense and defense.

11-01-2012, 11:18 AM
JackSlater

Fedorov is roughly a top 100 player for me. His Hart season was insanely good, and if he kept playing at around that level for a few years he would be way higher. He still usually brought it for the playoffs though, and should have gotten the 1997 Conn Smythe.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Top 150

Old
11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Hhof

Old
11-01-2012, 12:04 PM
deckercky

Hall of very good

Old
11-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Thesensation19

.94 PPG
#48 in goals all time
#47 in points all time
#8 in short handers all time
#9 game winners
#2 in OT goals
#14 in playoff points all time
The list continues with top 10 top 20 records in playoff plusminus, assists, short handers, game winners and others...

And the guy played defense for a ton of games. Many of his coaches preferred his role as a defencemen in their top 4, but Sergei preferred forward.

I would love to see how many actual minutes he played forward compared to the other recorded players and im sure his average would go up.

Those stats I mentioned, plus other achievements both in the NHL and IHFF, make me believe hes a top 50 player immediately.

And as his plus and minus, his 2 selke awards and many others have stated... his defense is as good as his offensive if not better. Right there im thinking you can squeeze him in the top 20.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Fedorov is roughly a top 100 player for me. His Hart season was insanely good, and if he kept playing at around that level for a few years he would be way higher. He still usually brought it for the playoffs though, and should have gotten the 1997 Conn Smythe.
Im assuming your looking at his stats go from 120 and then drop... I dont think you can look at the drop in his stats and infer he never played at that same level.

There were several situations (especially after his first Stanley Cup) where he played defense many for many games and many minutes. Many of Detroit Red Wings players were asked to sacrifice offensive focus and be more defensive minded.

Steve Yzerman is a prime example of this... he proved he was an elite offensive player but his stats took a hit too when he took on more of a complete role asked by his coaches for the better of the team. Fact (stated by Bowman and others)

Sergei def was one of these players who played more of a complete role and though his stats might show differ... I think he became a better player over the years. He won 3 Championships and when his team needed him he won games.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:54 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Im assuming your looking at his stats go from 120 and then drop... I dont think you can look at the drop in his stats and infer he never played at that same level.

There were several situations (especially after his first Stanley Cup) where he played defense many for many games and many minutes. Many of Detroit Red Wings players were asked to sacrifice offensive focus and be more defensive minded.

Steve Yzerman is a prime example of this... he proved he was an elite offensive player but his stats took a hit too when he took on more of a complete role asked by his coaches for the better of the team. Fact (stated by Bowman and others)

Sergei def was one of these players who played more of a complete role and though his stats might show differ... I think he became a better player over the years. He won 3 Championships and when his team needed him he won games.
No, I actually watched Fedorov regularly at the time. He didn't sacrifice his defence in 1994, he was just that good. Fedorov always played a complete, defensively responsible game for Detroit and never had to change his style of play. He never really approached that level again, in the regular season anyway.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

vCash: 1034
whos ahead of him as number 1 in OT goals?

Old
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Fuelled by Passion

If he was NA player the answer would be
One of the best of all time

Since he is Russian the answer will be between "just a bum to solid player"

So next time you want honest answer bring the numbers, stars and facts what other players think about him. Don't mention the name

Old
11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzyfeelinirie20 View Post
Jagr?

Old
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzyfeelinirie20 View Post
Jaromir Jagr.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Insane peak, playoff prowess outstrips his "regular season prime," loses points among conventional wisdom for doing the stereotypical Russian thing and taking regular seasons off when he could.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
AD1066
#FireHolland

One of my favorite players growing up. Such a well-rounded game and amazing skating.

There's a fantastic article on Yahoo Sports about him right now: The evolution of Sergei Fedorov: From Soviet defector to NHL superstar to Russian rebuilder

Last edited by AD1066: 11-01-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Removed link - Not sure what is allowed.
Old
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
I miss this guy. He was one of the best guys of all time to watch. He could put on an absolute show with his hands and his speed, and he's such a likeable guy on top of that. Easily one of my favorites of all time.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Perfect_Drug

I really think Anna Kournikova should be listed as one of the accomplishments.

XD

But yeah, HHOF first ballot IMHO. Dude was unreal.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:57 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Great player, but I could never get over the rage of watching him take dives against the Jets in our building in the '96 playoffs.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Violent By Design

Top 50 for me. I'll never understand why he left Detroit.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Great player. He seemed to drop off rather quickly tough. If he could have maintained the -94 form of his self for few years he would be considered one of the best of all-time. But after Red Wings he was pretty much useless and from year -97 he was a shell of his Hart year caliber.

Too bad.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:41 PM
sparxx87

My biased opinion has him in the top 25 forwards, and arguably one of the most complete of all time.. Certainly one of the most versitile... But I'm biased, he was always my favorite player. I always tried to model my game after his, and he's the reason I wore 91 in junior.

Still the only player to win the Hart and Selke in the same season, and I doubt anyone will ever match that.

He's a lock for the HHOF, and by far the greatest Russain born NHL'er of all time. Probably the best all around European forward as well. Many will argue Forsberg, Selanne or Jagr, but none of them had the complete toolbox Feds had. They may have had a few better tools, but the package goes to Fedorov IMO.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Even as a kid I was terrified of Fedorov being a Blues fan. He just looked so good out there.

edit: Had to post this video. Honestly Fedorov's game was the most exciting for me to watch.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:49 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
My biased opinion has him in the top 25 forwards, and arguably one of the most complete of all time.. Certainly one of the most versitile... But I'm biased, he was always my favorite player. I always tried to model my game after his, and he's the reason I wore 91 in junior.

Still the only player to win the Hart and Selke in the same season, and I doubt anyone will ever match that.

He's a lock for the HHOF, and by far the greatest Russain born NHL'er of all time. Probably the best all around European forward as well. Many will argue Forsberg, Selanne or Jagr, but none of them had the complete toolbox Feds had. They may have had a few better tools, but the package goes to Fedorov IMO.
True. Fedorov was one of the most complete players of all-time. But he certainly had a short peak and prime. He regressed faster than Ovechkin.

I still would put Jagr ahead of him in both, peak and career. Fedorov comes next with Ovechkin on the same level in the peak year. OV may be a bit behind.

It is the career what makes Feds fall behind. He never really got in to the same level as his Hart year. At this point i would argue Kurri, Jagr, Selanne and sometimes Forsberg over him. (Forsberg is a bit unfair, cause he never really played his career due to injuries. But he was always great something Feds can't say).

Closed Thread