HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official Arena Thread Part 6

View Poll Results: On what day will city council vote to finalize a new arena for Edmonton's downtown?
Between now and Christmas 2012 8 7.41%
Between New Year's Day and the end of February 2013 30 27.78%
Between March and July, 2013 16 14.81%
Before the October 2013 civic election 14 12.96%
Not until 2014 4 3.70%
Not until 2015 3 2.78%
Not until 2016 1 0.93%
Not until 2017 6 5.56%
Never 26 24.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2012, 09:38 PM
  #26
cordlessphone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
City of Champs run by chumps
Care to explain?

I think it's great that they're looking at their options and not blatantly taking part in corporate welfare. I guess that makes them chumps.

cordlessphone is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 09:41 PM
  #27
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
“The Oilers are a community treasure,” Northlands President and CEO Richard Anderson said. “They should be here forever.

“Northlands certainly wants to be a part of making that happen.”
Ugh. I like everything else that I read, especially the part about how they're not starting from scratch.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 09:45 PM
  #28
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
Oh God...Northlands.... just. go. away.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 11:26 PM
  #29
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Ugh. I like everything else that I read, especially the part about how they're not starting from scratch.
It makes sense. If Katz isnt going to contribute then he's not going to run the arena and the city wont do it. If they're willing to pay the maintenance costs bringing them on board makes a lot of sense, especially when it gets rid of Rexall place as a competitor for big events.

Halibut is offline  
Old
10-31-2012, 11:35 PM
  #30
hillbillypriest
Registered User
 
hillbillypriest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: there there
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
It makes sense. If Katz isnt going to contribute then he's not going to run the arena and the city wont do it. If they're willing to pay the maintenance costs bringing them on board makes a lot of sense, especially when it gets rid of Rexall place as a competitor for big events.
Not only makes sense, but was utterly predictable. Excluding Northland produced the absurd result of the old arena competing with the new for the same non-hockey revenue, thereby splitting the revenue pie, thereby creating a revenue shortfall, thereby creating a subsidy demand to make up a revenue shortfall that might not exist if the non-hockey pie wasn't split.

I suppose I could see why Northlands was being trashed by some people when Katz was making their continued involvement a deal breaker. Don't quite see why Northlands expressing interest in a city sponsored downtown arena would be seen as a bad thing by some people now...

hillbillypriest is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 11:50 AM
  #31
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down
 
oilers2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 203
So if the city builds it..what are the chances that THIS current oilers team stays here long term?
And would Katz still want to be the owner?

oilers2k10 is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 11:58 AM
  #32
ThePhoenixx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
So if the city builds it..what are the chances that THIS current oilers team stays here long term?
And would Katz still want to be the owner?
I predict that the Oilers will be in Seattle once their lease runs out.

ThePhoenixx is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
  #33
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 50
The elephant in the room. Does this political contribution coverage pretty much blow the deal out of the water even if Katz did nothing improper? Perception is bigger than reality in many cases.

Also, has anyone heard of any re-grouping of both sides and sitting down to negotiate the finer points. Bettman should be here to help at this point. He has a lot of extra time on his hands....

Thoughts?

Seedling is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
  #34
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixx View Post
I predict that the Oilers will be in Seattle once their lease runs out.
Yeah, cause that would be such a great deal for Katz. Way worse market, less TV revenue,at best would only get the revenue on game nights,, & wont make any of his millions off the surrounding development like he would here.
Sounds like a great plan.
Btw the Seattle guy is actually putting in over 290 mil of his own money (like hes actually putting real money) & paying back to the City their contribution.

Billybaroo* is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 12:59 PM
  #35
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixx View Post
I predict that the Oilers will be in Seattle once their lease runs out.
I suggest that you make it a bet and I'll take you up on it. IMO, no chance the oilers will move to Seattle when the lease runs out. Care to make it an avatar bet?

Master Lok is online now  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
  #36
BlueChip01
Registered User
 
BlueChip01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 500
Chumps is 100% bang on lol. I will never support a new crop of players in an Oiler uniform if Katz told the city to F off if them and Northlands did it. I would support wherever Katz moved the team to. It would really suck watching the garbage we have and another city benefiting.

BlueChip01 is online now  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
  #37
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Chumps is 100% bang on lol. I will never support a new crop of players in an Oiler uniform if Katz told the city to F off if them and Northlands did it. I would support wherever Katz moved the team to. It would really suck watching the garbage we have and another city benefiting.
So you're calling the City of Edmonton "Chumps" because they are looking at building an arena on their own.

Considering that the missteps and demands that Katz has taken, what other choice does the City have?

Obviously you can choose who you cheer for, but calling the City "Chumps" for doing what is necessary seems to be ignorant.

Master Lok is online now  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
  #38
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
If the Arena gets the green light right now, it won't be complete until 2016.

So here's the question:

Will it hurts the Katz Group if they extend the lease at Rexall Place for two years?

Marc08 is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:26 PM
  #39
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
So you're calling the City of Edmonton "Chumps" because they are looking at building an arena on their own.

Considering that the missteps and demands that Katz has taken, what other choice does the City have?

Obviously you can choose who you cheer for, but calling the City "Chumps" for doing what is necessary seems to be ignorant.
The city is a bunch of chumps. Building it by themselves and having Northlands run it will cost the city and tax payers a TON more. But its alright because a billionaire isn't getting rich in the process. Not surprised at all, called this two weeks ago when the news of a break down in communications came out from Catarina.

raab is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
  #40
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixx View Post
I predict that the Oilers will be in Seattle once their lease runs out.
Lol. You're still saying this

flashy is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
  #41
ThePhoenixx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I suggest that you make it a bet and I'll take you up on it. IMO, no chance the oilers will move to Seattle when the lease runs out. Care to make it an avatar bet?
Two old time-ish posters who probably don't even know how to load an avatar are going to make a bet?

Heck, I don't even bother betting my fake 500.

You know, if it was just about anybody else I wouldn't even bother replying.

But...since it isn't...You're on, Masterien one.

However, If I win, I doubt you will have to suffer the avatar fate. if I win it means we all lose. If I win, I doubt I will have the heart to even say anything.

If I lose though, I will happily learn how to insert an avatar.

ThePhoenixx is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:39 PM
  #42
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
When will Edmonton city council finalize a deal for a new downtown arena?

When will Edmonton city council finalize a deal for a new downtown arena?

My prediction is that an arena deal will be in place by February 2013.

What do you think?

Marc08 is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
  #43
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Yeah, cause that would be such a great deal for Katz. Way worse market, less TV revenue,at best would only get the revenue on game nights,, & wont make any of his millions off the surrounding development like he would here.
Sounds like a great plan.
Btw the Seattle guy is actually putting in over 290 mil of his own money (like hes actually putting real money) & paying back to the City their contribution.
Proof? You have no clue what kind of deal Katz could get in Seattle. And that 290M is between several investors which is why I thought Katz was down there in the first place, now I'm not so sure.

raab is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:48 PM
  #44
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 580
2015 after the Oilers move. Love how no one in Northern Alberta thinks it could happen.

raab is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:48 PM
  #45
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The city is a bunch of chumps. Building it by themselves and having Northlands run it will cost the city and tax payers a TON more.
If the city accepted Katz's terms, they'd effectively be building it on their own anyway. So what's the difference?

Moose Coleman is online now  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
  #46
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
So if the city builds it..what are the chances that THIS current oilers team stays here long term?
And would Katz still want to be the owner?
If Edmonton builds a new rink, the league won't let them move. Katz will have to sell the team and get an expansion club or buy Phoenix or something if he wants to move to Seattle. If we don't have any shovels in the ground and a building going up by the time the lease rolls up, then it's really anyones guess.

molsonmuscle360 is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
  #47
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
If Edmonton builds a new rink, the league won't let them move. Katz will have to sell the team and get an expansion club or buy Phoenix or something if he wants to move to Seattle. If we don't have any shovels in the ground and a building going up by the time the lease rolls up, then it's really anyones guess.
I concur

Marc08 is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
  #48
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
If, IF the city finalizes this quickly and shovels are in the ground in the spring/summer I can't picture a scenario where the NHL approves relocation... regardless of Katz's... hurt feelings. Maybe he'll sell the team and we'll be in a EIG situation again.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
  #49
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If the city accepted Katz's terms, they'd effectively be building it on their own anyway. So what's the difference?
Look into how much support Northlands gets from the city and government. And the deal won't be any better with Northlands running it I can almost guarantee it. Katz probably still won't want to pay rent for the Oilers to be there so Northlands is going to need to subsidize the cost somewhere.

raab is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 01:54 PM
  #50
nye
Registered User
 
nye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,887
vCash: 500
And the beat goes on...

nye is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.