HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Colorado Avalanche expansion draft casualties

Old
10-31-2012, 12:10 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Lol you'd protect Giggy over Varly?

I would protect
Varlamov
Johnson, Hejda, O'byrne, Wilson, O'brien
Stastny, Duchene, O'reilly, Mcginn, Downie, Parenteau, Hejduk, Jones, Mcleod
Lando + Prospects protected by ELCs

Keeps the entire core intact
Sometimes you gotta go for the better goaltender. And that's Giggy.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:39 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I'm surprised by the lack of Hejduk being protected in your guys' posts. Even if he is close to retirement I am 99.45% sure we will protect him.
Here's a question... Does it not matter that a player has a no movement clause? Also would a GM try to pull a player who has a no movement clause and a short contract on top of being at the tail end of his career?

I wouldn't protect him regardless, but those factors would probably weigh into any GM drafting him I would imagine.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
I'd be more simple, by saying:

Avs Keep
Forwards: Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, Downie
Defence: Johnson
Goalie: Varlamov, Giguere
Rookies: Elliott, Barrie, Hishon, Sgarbossa

Avs May Lose
Anyone else

In my opinion, the players I have left off would be expendible.
I agree except with three players... O'Byrne, Parenteau and McGinn, especially McGinn...

Power forwards with his speed and shot don't exactly grow on trees... Hes young and he can do anything and everything on the ice you need. That's not expendable..

And we really do need a creative but hard working winger on Duchene's line, and that's Parenteau... If hes still a 60 point winger with Duchene, then 4M will be a steal as well.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:32 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
true, but there's no reason to sacrifice Varly for the sakes of McLeod, Zanon, and SOB

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's a tossup right now and in a couple of years Varlamov will be significantly better.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
Quote:
So... two more years of Giguere over the best part of Varlamov's career?

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Hans Landaskog

Varlamov was the better goaltender last season, even with the slump in the middle.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 01:26 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
Varlamov was the better goaltender last season, even with the slump in the middle.
Incorrect, despite Varly playing more games, the stats say otherwise. I personally felt much more safe with Giguere in net. Just not in the shootout..

Old
11-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Incorrect, despite Varly playing more games, the stats say otherwise. I personally felt much more safe with Giguere in net. Just not in the shootout..
Giggy played better over the course of the season, but Varly performed the best during his individual games. If Varly didn't have that rough spot from mid-Nov to mid-Jan then there would be no argument.

We shouldn't argue over who the better goalie was, just be fortunate that we had a capable backup for Varly when he faltered. Not many goalies are capable of playing a full season the way Varly played his beginning and end, so until he matures further we may need to keep in mind that Giggy is there to bail him out ~30 games a season... not to take the #1 position though. Giggy started looking weaker the more games he played.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Giggy played better over the course of the season, but Varly performed the best during his individual games. If Varly didn't have that rough spot from mid-Nov to mid-Jan then there would be no argument.

We shouldn't argue over who the better goalie was, just be fortunate that we had a capable backup for Varly when he faltered. Not many goalies are capable of playing a full season the way Varly played his beginning and end, so until he matures further we may need to keep in mind that Giggy is there to bail him out ~30 games a season... not to take the #1 position though. Giggy started looking weaker the more games he played.
And that rough spot nearly made the Avs look pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I like Varlamov, but he'd have to be playing well most of the season, instead of having 3 awful months then come back and start doing amazing. Streaky goaltender.

Giguere never really let in any bad goals or had bad games. Maybe except for the last game vs. Nashville, but the whole team was careless. And I've been Giguere fan for 10 years, so of course I'll most likely go for him. Still a good goalie at his age.

But aside from that, yes, I'm glad the Avs finally got themselves a great goalie duo!

Old
11-02-2012, 01:15 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
well that's just blatantly untrue.

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Both goalies had their up and down stretches last season. Giguere didn't have the dip Varlamov had but if he hadplayed 50+ games, I suspect the quality of his game would have been lower.

Anyway, regardless of what you think about our goaltending last season, Avs would be deranged if they exposed Varlamov in an expansion draft.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote