HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
At least he didn't say he was being treated like an animal lol

Old
11-01-2012, 03:06 PM
newtown33

poor players, taking 57% of the revenus with guaranteed contracts while almost every other sports have 50-50 sharing and contrats not guaranteed...they just want to play hockey right?

Obviously he's not gonna retire, stupid comment if you ask me. If he's not happy anymore, then hang your skates and someone else will be glad to take your place...

Old
11-01-2012, 03:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This is just Cole's way to try and get the process moving in the right direction, nothing to see here.
Agreed. I think we can file this alongside this year's "I'm staying in Russia" and last lockout's "I'll never play under a salary cap" remarks...just the players being the mouthpieces the PA needs them to be.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Coldplay
Courage

It's not that Cole is saying he's a victim, it's that he just wants to do the job he's supposed to be getting paid for.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
sheed36

The fans are also tired of being at the mercy of both the NHL and players during this crap so maybe the fans should also consider retiring from supporting anything NHL.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:23 PM
LyricalLyricist

I don't care I guess. They aren't that far apart. I get it's a matter of principle but for that small difference just cave and play then.

That being said, not surprised older players are feeling this way. This is all for younger guys, older guys will be gone soon. I can't imagine Iggy feels as strongly as say ovechkin.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:11 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't care I guess. They aren't that far apart. I get it's a matter of principle but for that small difference just cave and play then.

That being said, not surprised older players are feeling this way. This is all for younger guys, older guys will be gone soon. I can't imagine Iggy feels as strongly as say ovechkin.
Iggy already lost 7.5 million during the last lockout and might lose another 7 million during this one if the season gets canceled.. Losing 14.5 million wouldn't make anyone happy and I'd be pissed at the whole situation right now if I were him.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
CN_paladin

So I tweeted Prust that a certain cancer killed the MLB and our Expos.

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
@JasonHM and now baseball is the best running league in North America.. Everybody is winning there. Thanks to Fehr n cooperating owners

**** this idiot!

Old
11-01-2012, 04:37 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

dunno, MLB is far from dead, and MLB is a successful league.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
MrNasty

I have stopped following all of them. They are a bunch of ungrateful babies. I seriously hope all these guys threatening to retire or stay in Russia do it and then realize what a horrible mistake they have made.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:40 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
How the top 4 teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs every year because they are rich?

Old
11-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Montreal4Life

LOL, didn`t he say he would consider retiring (or going abroad) if it lasted into the next season? At his age, a complete logical though, ppl are overreacting

edit: ok, he said he would consider the move this summer. But I would assume he would base his choice on where they currently sit.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
MrNasty

Quote:
Didn't they just say they had the worst ratings in years...and everytime I accidently watch a couple mins of a game the stands are always empty. I remember back in the early 90's when the stands were always full.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Et le But

I wonder if fans will start to turn on him for saying this like they did with Markov...something tells me that's not happening.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
How the top 4 teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs every year because they are rich?
i don't watch MLB, and don't really care, but bottom line is the league is successful and makes money. it's been almost 20 years with no lock out/dispute ? seems like someone don't agree with your one minded view and you call them an idiot, when in fact you were completely wrong and he was right.

or is it not successful because YOU don't like the MLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Didn't they just say they had the worst ratings in years...and everytime I accidently watch a couple mins of a game the stands are always empty. I remember back in the early 90's when the stands were always full.
dunno, but seems like it's done ok since their last dispute
mlb growth

and seems like teams are growing in value too
here

Old
11-01-2012, 04:49 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
i don't watch MLB, and don't really care, but bottom line is the league is successful and makes money. it's been almost 20 years with no lock out/dispute ? seems like someone don't agree with your one minded view and you call them an idiot, when in fact you were completely wrong and he was right.

Prust said it's the most successful league in NA??? Talk about being on crack.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Um, not quite. 2012 top four teams by payroll were:

New York Yankees $ 197,962,289

Philadelphia Phillies $ 174,538,938

Boston Red Sox $ 173,186,617

Los Angeles Angels $ 154,485,166

Three out of four didn't make the playoffs, even with the new expanded system. Rich teams have a huge advantage in baseball they don't have in cap system leagues, but it's not anything like so simple as top payroll=top results.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:

dunno, but seems like it's done ok since their last dispute
mlb growth

and seems like teams are growing in value too
here
The NHL had record revenues too but the sport is clearly broken.

Then how come the ratings were so pathetic at the last World Series?

Old
11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Um, not quite. 2012 top four teams by payroll were:

New York Yankees $ 197,962,289

Philadelphia Phillies $ 174,538,938

Boston Red Sox $ 173,186,617

Los Angeles Angels $ 154,485,166

Three out of four didn't make the playoffs, even with the new expanded system. Rich teams have a huge advantage in baseball they don't have in cap system leagues, but it's not anything like so simple as top payroll=top results.
One year is statistically insignificant as no team can win every year but there's very little parity in that league.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

I just saw hundreds of people lined up in front of the Bell Center, waiting to take his place.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
So I tweeted Prust that a certain cancer killed the MLB and our Expos.

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
@JasonHM and now baseball is the best running league in North America.. Everybody is winning there. Thanks to Fehr n cooperating owners

**** this idiot!
His tweets today have been just all-around.

The PA doesn't seem to realize what type of damage they are doing with their players tweeting away like this.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
The NHL had record revenues too but the sport is clearly broken.

Then how come the ratings were so pathetic at the last World Series?
Dunno, that's one instance of the whole picture?

And whole picture being that MLB is making money, and they don't have to jeopardize a season to fix their numbers for the league to be financially stable. Unlike the NHL, which has recorded growth, yet still has majority of teams losing money/breakeven. A problem that seems to not be observed in the MLB.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
His tweets today have been just all-around.

The PA doesn't seem to realize what type of damage they are doing with their players tweeting away like this.
Agree 100%

I don't understand millionaires playing a game of chicken with billionaires.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Dunno, that's one instance of the whole picture?

And whole picture being that MLB is making money, and they don't have to jeopardize a season to fix their numbers for the league to be financially stable. Unlike the NHL, which has recorded growth, yet still has majority of teams losing money/breakeven. A problem that seems to not be observed in the MLB.
Comparing NHL to MLB is the problem. Twice as many games to make $ and stadiums sometimes three times bigger than NHL arenas.

The NBA is the most comparable sport to the NHL in terms of economics.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
One year is statistically insignificant as no team can win every year but there's very little parity in that league.
There's tons of parity in the MLB. The diversity of teams that do well is actually wider than any of the big 4.

It has some sad sack franchises like Pittsburgh and Kansas that don't win anything, but that's the same as NHL in the cap era with the likes of the Islanders and Florida.

Bad ownership not spending money is essentially the problem there. For MLB its worse than in hockey because the perpetually losing teams are the ones making a solid profit on revenue sharing.

MLB has this reputation of no parity in Canada because;

1. Revenue sharing didn't come in time to save the Expos.
2. MLB has parity, the AL East does not, which has really hurt Toronto. In the other divisions they probably would have snuck into the playoffs at some point in the last 2 decades, but not when the two best franchises in the league are in their 5 team division. It would be like winning the division as an NHL average team (say Rangers or Habs) in a division with Detroit and New Jersey in it over the past 20 years. It would be pretty rare that you'd manage it. Tampa Bay Rays pulled it off after a period of uncommonly good management and the Orioles got ridiculously lucky this year, so its possible, just hard.

Fehr actually had a pretty big hand in making the permanent labour peace in the MLB. The big thing was getting the owners to agree to substantial revenue sharing so their wouldn't be loser franchises agitating for a new deal every negotiation.

EDIT:
Another think that people completely don't understand is that its the salary cap that is bankrupting the small market teams. If there wasn't a salary floor then the teams with less money could spend less money and live within their means. Forcing Anahiem to spend about the same amount as Montreal without revenue sharing to put the two on a more even footing is going to bankrupt Anahiem. This is why the MLB system works and the NHL's system is failing.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 11-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Closed Thread