HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
  #51
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go
 
cjbhab*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
At least he didn't say he was being treated like an animal lol

cjbhab* is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 03:06 PM
  #52
newtown33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
poor players, taking 57% of the revenus with guaranteed contracts while almost every other sports have 50-50 sharing and contrats not guaranteed...they just want to play hockey right?

Obviously he's not gonna retire, stupid comment if you ask me. If he's not happy anymore, then hang your skates and someone else will be glad to take your place...

newtown33 is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 03:13 PM
  #53
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,023
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This is just Cole's way to try and get the process moving in the right direction, nothing to see here.
Agreed. I think we can file this alongside this year's "I'm staying in Russia" and last lockout's "I'll never play under a salary cap" remarks...just the players being the mouthpieces the PA needs them to be.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 03:18 PM
  #54
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,394
vCash: 500
It's not that Cole is saying he's a victim, it's that he just wants to do the job he's supposed to be getting paid for.

Coldplay is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
  #55
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,462
vCash: 500
The fans are also tired of being at the mercy of both the NHL and players during this crap so maybe the fans should also consider retiring from supporting anything NHL.

sheed36 is online now  
Old
11-01-2012, 03:23 PM
  #56
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,807
vCash: 500
I don't care I guess. They aren't that far apart. I get it's a matter of principle but for that small difference just cave and play then.

That being said, not surprised older players are feeling this way. This is all for younger guys, older guys will be gone soon. I can't imagine Iggy feels as strongly as say ovechkin.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:11 PM
  #57
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't care I guess. They aren't that far apart. I get it's a matter of principle but for that small difference just cave and play then.

That being said, not surprised older players are feeling this way. This is all for younger guys, older guys will be gone soon. I can't imagine Iggy feels as strongly as say ovechkin.
Iggy already lost 7.5 million during the last lockout and might lose another 7 million during this one if the season gets canceled.. Losing 14.5 million wouldn't make anyone happy and I'd be pissed at the whole situation right now if I were him.

sheed36 is online now  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
  #58
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
So I tweeted Prust that a certain cancer killed the MLB and our Expos.

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
@JasonHM and now baseball is the best running league in North America.. Everybody is winning there. Thanks to Fehr n cooperating owners

**** this idiot!

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:37 PM
  #59
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
dunno, MLB is far from dead, and MLB is a successful league.

uiCk is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
  #60
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
I have stopped following all of them. They are a bunch of ungrateful babies. I seriously hope all these guys threatening to retire or stay in Russia do it and then realize what a horrible mistake they have made.

MrNasty is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:40 PM
  #61
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
dunno, MLB is far from dead, and MLB is a successful league.
How the top 4 teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs every year because they are rich?

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:41 PM
  #62
Montreal4Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
LOL, didn`t he say he would consider retiring (or going abroad) if it lasted into the next season? At his age, a complete logical though, ppl are overreacting

edit: ok, he said he would consider the move this summer. But I would assume he would base his choice on where they currently sit.

Montreal4Life is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
  #63
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
dunno, MLB is far from dead, and MLB is a successful league.
Didn't they just say they had the worst ratings in years...and everytime I accidently watch a couple mins of a game the stands are always empty. I remember back in the early 90's when the stands were always full.

MrNasty is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
  #64
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,019
vCash: 500
I wonder if fans will start to turn on him for saying this like they did with Markov...something tells me that's not happening.

Et le But is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
  #65
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
How the top 4 teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs every year because they are rich?
i don't watch MLB, and don't really care, but bottom line is the league is successful and makes money. it's been almost 20 years with no lock out/dispute ? seems like someone don't agree with your one minded view and you call them an idiot, when in fact you were completely wrong and he was right.

or is it not successful because YOU don't like the MLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Didn't they just say they had the worst ratings in years...and everytime I accidently watch a couple mins of a game the stands are always empty. I remember back in the early 90's when the stands were always full.
dunno, but seems like it's done ok since their last dispute
mlb growth

and seems like teams are growing in value too
here

uiCk is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:49 PM
  #66
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i don't watch MLB, and don't really care, but bottom line is the league is successful and makes money. it's been almost 20 years with no lock out/dispute ? seems like someone don't agree with your one minded view and you call them an idiot, when in fact you were completely wrong and he was right.

or is it not successful because YOU don't like the MLB?
Prust said it's the most successful league in NA??? Talk about being on crack.

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
  #67
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
How the top 4 teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs every year because they are rich?
Um, not quite. 2012 top four teams by payroll were:

New York Yankees $ 197,962,289

Philadelphia Phillies $ 174,538,938

Boston Red Sox $ 173,186,617

Los Angeles Angels $ 154,485,166

Three out of four didn't make the playoffs, even with the new expanded system. Rich teams have a huge advantage in baseball they don't have in cap system leagues, but it's not anything like so simple as top payroll=top results.

Bullsmith is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
  #68
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i don't watch MLB, and don't really care, but bottom line is the league is successful and makes money. it's been almost 20 years with no lock out/dispute ? seems like someone don't agree with your one minded view and you call them an idiot, when in fact you were completely wrong and he was right.

or is it not successful because YOU don't like the MLB?



dunno, but seems like it's done ok since their last dispute
mlb growth

and seems like teams are growing in value too
here
The NHL had record revenues too but the sport is clearly broken.

Then how come the ratings were so pathetic at the last World Series?

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
  #69
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Um, not quite. 2012 top four teams by payroll were:

New York Yankees $ 197,962,289

Philadelphia Phillies $ 174,538,938

Boston Red Sox $ 173,186,617

Los Angeles Angels $ 154,485,166

Three out of four didn't make the playoffs, even with the new expanded system. Rich teams have a huge advantage in baseball they don't have in cap system leagues, but it's not anything like so simple as top payroll=top results.
One year is statistically insignificant as no team can win every year but there's very little parity in that league.

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
  #70
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
I just saw hundreds of people lined up in front of the Bell Center, waiting to take his place.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 04:57 PM
  #71
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,901
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
So I tweeted Prust that a certain cancer killed the MLB and our Expos.

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
@JasonHM and now baseball is the best running league in North America.. Everybody is winning there. Thanks to Fehr n cooperating owners

**** this idiot!
His tweets today have been just all-around.

The PA doesn't seem to realize what type of damage they are doing with their players tweeting away like this.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  #72
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
The NHL had record revenues too but the sport is clearly broken.

Then how come the ratings were so pathetic at the last World Series?
Dunno, that's one instance of the whole picture?

And whole picture being that MLB is making money, and they don't have to jeopardize a season to fix their numbers for the league to be financially stable. Unlike the NHL, which has recorded growth, yet still has majority of teams losing money/breakeven. A problem that seems to not be observed in the MLB.

uiCk is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  #73
YOUTH OF HABS
Registered User
 
YOUTH OF HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: OTTAWHAT
Country: Canada
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
His tweets today have been just all-around.

The PA doesn't seem to realize what type of damage they are doing with their players tweeting away like this.
Agree 100%

I don't understand millionaires playing a game of chicken with billionaires.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 05:05 PM
  #74
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,901
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Dunno, that's one instance of the whole picture?

And whole picture being that MLB is making money, and they don't have to jeopardize a season to fix their numbers for the league to be financially stable. Unlike the NHL, which has recorded growth, yet still has majority of teams losing money/breakeven. A problem that seems to not be observed in the MLB.
Comparing NHL to MLB is the problem. Twice as many games to make $ and stadiums sometimes three times bigger than NHL arenas.

The NBA is the most comparable sport to the NHL in terms of economics.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
11-01-2012, 05:08 PM
  #75
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
One year is statistically insignificant as no team can win every year but there's very little parity in that league.
There's tons of parity in the MLB. The diversity of teams that do well is actually wider than any of the big 4.

It has some sad sack franchises like Pittsburgh and Kansas that don't win anything, but that's the same as NHL in the cap era with the likes of the Islanders and Florida.

Bad ownership not spending money is essentially the problem there. For MLB its worse than in hockey because the perpetually losing teams are the ones making a solid profit on revenue sharing.


MLB has this reputation of no parity in Canada because;

1. Revenue sharing didn't come in time to save the Expos.
2. MLB has parity, the AL East does not, which has really hurt Toronto. In the other divisions they probably would have snuck into the playoffs at some point in the last 2 decades, but not when the two best franchises in the league are in their 5 team division. It would be like winning the division as an NHL average team (say Rangers or Habs) in a division with Detroit and New Jersey in it over the past 20 years. It would be pretty rare that you'd manage it. Tampa Bay Rays pulled it off after a period of uncommonly good management and the Orioles got ridiculously lucky this year, so its possible, just hard.


Fehr actually had a pretty big hand in making the permanent labour peace in the MLB. The big thing was getting the owners to agree to substantial revenue sharing so their wouldn't be loser franchises agitating for a new deal every negotiation.


EDIT:
Another think that people completely don't understand is that its the salary cap that is bankrupting the small market teams. If there wasn't a salary floor then the teams with less money could spend less money and live within their means. Forcing Anahiem to spend about the same amount as Montreal without revenue sharing to put the two on a more even footing is going to bankrupt Anahiem. This is why the MLB system works and the NHL's system is failing.


Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 11-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.