HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How I would reformat Scheduling...

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2003, 08:52 AM
McFly

vCash: 500
How I would reformat Scheduling...

I'm taking this from more of a Maple Leafs perspective, but all 30 teams will benefit from this.

With the way we saw the Leafs-Rangers and Leafs-Canucks play very intense home and home series, we know what would make regular season hockey more exciting. We want to develop more rivalries, have more home and home series and get rid of the pointless and boring games across each others time zones.

I think the NHL should all but eliminate interconference play. What I mean is: Play 72 games against your own conference, leaving 10 games vs the other conference for signifigant rivalries or other reasons. We'd have more exciting games against our own division (8 instead of 6) and no more boring snooze fests against teams we don't want to see.

I'm gonna break it down from a Leaf perspective here (fans of other teams will just have to fill in their own teams here OK!)

- 8 games vs each team in the division (OTT, BOS, BUF, MON)
32 games

- 4 games each (as it is today) vs the rest of your conference
40 games

- The other 10 can be spread out to geographic and old time rivals in the opposite conference.
for example: The Leafs would play 1 each vs St. Louis, Chicago, Calgary and Edmonton. Then the remaining 6 games could be home and home series, something we need many more of: Vancouver, Detroit, Colorado!

I think that would make for a much more interesting and exciting regular season. What do you ppl think of this format?

Old
12-07-2003, 01:19 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
I like that idea. But i would also like to play each team in the east once.

So how about shortening the season to 81 games(which is in the direction of what the players want anyways).

And play:

Opposite conference 1 time each- 15 games

Your conference 3 times each- 30 games

Your division 9 times each- 36 games

I would go for either system though. I like the idea of having to be good in your division to make the playoffs. And teh division rivals would really kick it up a notch. And the battles would be heated.

Old
12-07-2003, 03:42 PM
PecaFan

There is nothing about a divisional game that makes it intrinsicly more exciting than any other game. Divisions are almost meaningless nowadays, conference games and standings are far more important.

Exciting games come from playing good teams or exciting teams, not divisional games. Colorado games are exciting, because they're a good team. Toronto, Philly, and Boston are exciting games, even though they're in the other conference. Minnesota games are boring because they're a tight trapping team, just because they're in our division doesn't make them any less of a snooze fest.

Old
12-07-2003, 04:55 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
There is nothing about a divisional game that makes it intrinsicly more exciting than any other game.
It ould in most divisions with rivals.

Quote:
Exciting games come from playing good teams or exciting teams, not divisional games. Colorado games are exciting, because they're a good team. Toronto, Philly, and Boston are exciting games, even though they're in the other conference. Minnesota games are boring because they're a tight trapping team, just because they're in our division doesn't make them any less of a snooze fest.
I dont know, but nashville and columbus sure do enjoy playing each other. And i dont consider them great teams. It will be less of a "snooze fest" when the games are more personal to the players. And when you play a team 8 or 9 times in a season there will be more character to the games.

Maybe its just me growing up watching the norris division games. But id rather see more division games. Its pretty much meaningless when you play a team 4 times with a month and a half between each meeting.

Old
12-07-2003, 07:11 PM
McFly

Quote:
There is nothing about a divisional game that makes it intrinsicly more exciting than any other game. Divisions are almost meaningless nowadays, conference games and standings are far more important.
I think in most divisions, except maybe the Pacific, would make for great rivalries and those fans would love to see their team play against the division 8 games instead of 5 or 6.

Think of the Atlantic! Rangers vs Islanders 8 times? That would be outstanding. Rangers/Devils, Rangers/Flyers and Devils/Flyers are all good too. In the Northeast, Toronto vs any of Bos, Mtl, Ott and Buf are all great to watch. Also Mtl vs Ott and Mtl/Bos are great too. Detroit and StL in the Central and Detroit/Chicago is another! The Northwest has alot of rivals too...Van/Col, Cgy/Edm. Also any all canadian matchup is always a good bout.

Yes some games are boring including teams like Minnesota but if they were to have a couple home and home series in a month vs the Canucks, there would be alot of intensity and bitterness carried over after each game. Even boring teams would garner more interest if they played each other more often.

I think more divisional play is the best idea!

Old
12-07-2003, 08:31 PM
PecaFan

My point is that just as often as not, rivals are in other divisions than your own. Col/Det, Ott/NJ, Tor/NYI, etc, all great rivalries, currently in different divisions. Yes, lots of rivalries are geographic, but lots of them are from hard fought playoffs etc, and those are usually non-divisional now.

As a Canucks fan, when I think of all the most anticipated games this year, far and away the vast majority are non division games. I want to see Philly, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, LA, Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Atlanta, Ottawa, Colorado, New Jersey, and Edmonton etc. That's off the top of my head, eleven non divisional, and two divisional.

In the old days of 16 and 21 teams, you could play your division 8 times, and still play the rest of the league. But the league is too big now, you have to make a choice. Either you play everybody, or you play your division 8 or 9 times.

And the price of giving up playing Philly, Boston, Toronto, Montreal etc that I just named off, is *way* too high to pay.

Old
12-08-2003, 03:17 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
It could lead to more snooze fests. Teams would get to know each others game far more well, and most teams would get into that trap mode with every game meaning so much in the standings.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:22 AM
wint

I'd like to take a page from the NFL book and create matchups between teams that finished in the same place in their respective divisions the previous year. It makes it a little tougher on the good teams to squeeze into the playoffs, but it creates more good regular season matchups. Something like...

2 games vs. each team from a division in other conference (rotates yearly) - 10
2 games vs. teams in other opposite-conference divisions that finished in your position last year - 4
5 games vs. teams from other divisions in same conference that finished in your position last year - 10
3 games vs. all other conference opponents - 24
8 games vs. own division - 32
Total = 80 games

This has the added benefit of forcing perrenial losers (ahem, rebuilders) to get good quick in order to earn the right to host the good teams from the rest of the league and collect the higher gate receipts that come with them.

Or, even more like the NFL but even less plausible...

How about regular scheduling. Every team plays 2 games a week, one on Tuesday/Wednesday and one on Saturday. Game of the week (a la Monday Night Football) on Sunday night.

This would call for a 51-game schedule...
1 game each vs. your division in the other conference
1 game each vs. team that finished in your place last year in other divisions of other conference
2 games each vs. own conference
6 games each vs. own division

Add in the all-star game and that makes up exactly half a year (Oct. 1 - Apr. 1). The playoffs start and finish earlier. The season gets a much needed shortening. Regularly scheduled games and games of the week help raise excitement about the sport and build marketability. Players will be more well-rested and healthier. Every game is much more important. And last but not least, the league falters because it collects a third less money from badly needed ticket sales, which is why this proposal is impossible. Too bad...

Old
12-08-2003, 07:32 AM

I think the NHL should embrace or discard the division format in use currently, because they haven't done much with it lately. I'd prefer to see a lot more of the division contact, and truely agree with eliminating the majority of inter-conference play. I love to see the games versus Ottawa or other East teams, but I'd rather see another division rival game. I can't say I disagree with the proposal one bit.

They can't truely scrap the idea of the divisions because of travel concerns as well, so why not work with what you've got and enhance it?

Closed Thread