HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Behind the Draft 2012 - Leafs

Old
10-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Pretty sure when this thing airs, Leafs didn't have 3 fwds rated in the top 5.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I sure hope not otherwise we probably need to look at replacing the scouting. The third forward didn't get picked until 11th overall. 3 forwards in our top 10 I would be fine with. If we had 3 in our top 5 I would be worried haha.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:41 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
C'mon... if somebody can hack and leak the Harry Potter movie before it hits theatres, surely the MLSE files aren't impenetrable...

Damn owners!!! End the lockout already!!!

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't think so either because they would have picked the third forward at 5 then, right? Forsberg, maybe? Or maybe they expected Rielly to get picked and Forsberg was their 'second' choice after Galchenyuk was gone at 3.

10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I don't think so either because they would have picked the third forward at 5 then, right? Forsberg, maybe? Or maybe they expected Rielly to get picked and Forsberg was their 'second' choice after Galchenyuk was gone at 3.
The interesting part will be what kind of discussions/scenarios we will see if Rielly went off the board prior to the Leafs picking. Forsberg, Faksa, Wilson plus any of the 2nd tier D. The top 4 D were Reinhart, Dumba, Rielly, and Murray.

We have speculated prior to the draft on whether we should draft a defenceman or Center, in the end we went with BPA. We know Rielly was deemed BPA for the entire draft by our guys. Anyway it will be an interesting look into the Leafs mindset. I'm pretty sure I get how Mo thinks from what people who know him have told me. So maybe we would have gone Dumba if Rielly was picked before our turn or we would have dropped down and picked Washington's Forsberg/Wilson combo. Not sure anyone expected Forsberg to drop to 11, but Faksa was a good bet to be there.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Aplayaz2000

lookin forward

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I sure hope not otherwise we probably need to look at replacing the scouting. The third forward didn't get picked until 11th overall. 3 forwards in our top 10 I would be fine with. If we had 3 in our top 5 I would be worried haha.
This was a defence heavy draft, I don't project any Center in this draft to be a franchise C. Whereas I can see some of the D picked becoming franchise D, and not only the obvious top picks. In the end we got a great prospect that is validating our scouts, infact we got 2 prospects that have made our scouts proud to this point.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:27 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
This was a defence heavy draft, I don't project any Center in this draft to be a franchise C. Whereas I can see some of the D picked becoming franchise D, and not only the obvious top picks. In the end we got a great prospect that is validating our scouts, infact we got 2 prospects that have made our scouts proud to this point.
Don't see Galchenyuk having franchise potential? He is the only one in my opinon. Which D do you believe are of franchise capability?

IMO,

Rielly
Dumba
Reinhart

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Don't see Galchenyuk having franchise potential? He is the only one in my opinon. Which D do you believe are of franchise capability?

IMO,

Rielly
Dumba
Reinhart
For him to have franchise C he needs to up his game to the Jonathan Toews level. Huberdeau is closer to being a franchise C IMO, and I don't think he is going to be as good as Toews is. There are not many in the NHL. Potential yes, maybe, but is he? Time will tell.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:04 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
The interesting part will be what kind of discussions/scenarios we will see if Rielly went off the board prior to the Leafs picking. Forsberg, Faksa, Wilson plus any of the 2nd tier D. The top 4 D were Reinhart, Dumba, Rielly, and Murray.

We have speculated prior to the draft on whether we should draft a defenceman or Center, in the end we went with BPA. We know Rielly was deemed BPA for the entire draft by our guys. Anyway it will be an interesting look into the Leafs mindset. I'm pretty sure I get how Mo thinks from what people who know him have told me. So maybe we would have gone Dumba if Rielly was picked before our turn or we would have dropped down and picked Washington's Forsberg/Wilson combo. Not sure anyone expected Forsberg to drop to 11, but Faksa was a good bet to be there.
Let's say the Islanders taken Rielly do you see the Leafs taking Maple Leafs Reinhart, because I still think the top 3 was Yakupov, Murrary, & Galchenyuk.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Let's say the Islanders taken Rielly do you see the Leafs taking Maple Leafs Reinhart, because I still think the top 3 was Yakupov, Murrary, & Galchenyuk.
I have a feeling Burke and co. had Dumba rated higher than Reinhart.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Here is the teaser:

Can't wait to see what our scouts said, where Burke and Nonis had prospects rated behind the scenes with the run up to the draft.

A lot of questions to be answered, if Rielly was picked, would they have moved down? Who was the fwd they were interested in? Some think it was Gally, I am not sure it was him. When Finn was available at #35, can't wait to hear Mo say, can't believe he is still on the board. Pretty sure one thing will be evident, Rielly was always rated highly by our scouts.
I will lol so hard if it turns out to be Grigo, assuming Gally was assumed to be gone already by their pick.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I hope so. I was ecstatic when Reinhart was picked by the Isles... I was so worried he'd be our pick. He just screams mediocre to me everytime I watch him. He's probably the safer pick, but he doesn't have the ceiling the Rielly or Dumba do.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
On my gut, and gut only, I think they move down if Murray or Rielly are gone before they pick at #5. We weren't going to get Yakupov at #5 so he is not in the equation.

Gally is the only question mark, did we want him or did we not? Reinhart is too similar to the other D in the 2nd tier for my liking to waste a #5 pick on, to me he was clearly #4 best to Rielly, Murray and perhaps Dumba. He did however really improve his stock in the memorial cup run, but he is not a really imposing player for his size and he plays for a strong team like Doug Hamilton does. Not sure he had as much to work with than Murray, Dumba, or Rielly.

Forsberg, Faksa, Wilson, any of the 2nd tier D man could have been on our radar. Just how much this behind the draft will they reveal?

Old
10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I will lol so hard if it turns out to be Grigo, assuming Gally was assumed to be gone already by their pick.
I can almost 100% be assured if Burke and Mo say they wanted Grigorenko, it must be an April fools joke they knew they were on camera. They just don't like these type of players, if anything they gravitate away from them.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I agree Drew. If Reilly was gone, the debate could have been TB is offereing 10 and 19 for 5. Dumba is better than Koekkoek in terms of drafting for an impact defender. In retrospect, that would have been a bad one for the Leafs. Tom Wilson was gone by 19, but if the Leafs offered 35 and 19 to beat Washington's #16 pick. Leafs could have gotten Faksa/Forsberg and Wilson

But would have lost Finn. In the end we did better by having Rielly and Finn slide to us.

Last edited by Interactif: 10-31-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
10-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Interactif

Post Draft Vids - Fun look back

There's guys I really like Morrison hints at the 4:43 of this vid in the 2nd round. Dansk is probably the 3rd goalie that interested the Leafs and obviously Finn was one of the players Mo was talking about.

Matt Finn being available at 1:39 of the 2nd video. Comment that Poulin and himself couldn't believe he slipped to #35

Old
10-31-2012, 09:50 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Matt Finn being available at 1:39 of the 2nd video. Comment that Poulin and himself couldn't believe he slipped to #35
I've never heard something like that said before!!!

Wasn't the quote from the Nords:

"Darn. Keith Osborne got selected just 3 picks away and we were stuck taking Sakic."

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
It's their huge surprise that makes me think if we were trading down we may have been picking Finn.

For simplicity say we got #10 and #19 from Tampa. I wouldn't be all that surprised if we took Finn with the #19 pick from the way they talk about him and their surprise.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
rdawg1234

Galch is off to a solid start, 21 points in 15 games. Not sure about that guy, does he have #1 C potential? Yea, but how long, if he gets there, will it take for him to become that #1 C? Interesting prospect for sure.

Only Dumba and Reilly struck me as franchise d-men , I've seen both and they are fantastic when they get going, Reilly could easily play in the NHL next year.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Galch is off to a solid start, 21 points in 15 games. Not sure about that guy, does he have #1 C potential? Yea, but how long, if he gets there, will it take for him to become that #1 C? Interesting prospect for sure.

Only Dumba and Reilly struck me as franchise d-men , I've seen both and they are fantastic when they get going, Reilly could easily play in the NHL next year.
He was off to a poor start, but he's turned it around.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post

I love Reilly as a prospect as much anybody but let's calm down on the franchise tag comments. Same with Dumba.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:25 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Bump!

Been waiting so long... anyone know when this gets released now that they've signed the CBA?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Bump!

Been waiting so long... anyone know when this gets released now that they've signed the CBA?
It really should be out soon now, Hopefulley with in the week.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
It really should be out soon now, Hopefulley with in the week.
They advertised it on Leafs TV today as coming soon

Morguee is offline   Reply With Quote