HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FOX movie of the week - There and Back Again: The John Farrell Story*

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Not really similar. Latos put up really good years in both 2010 and 2011 and Latos has much better pure stuff then Porcello. Latos has top of the rotation/ace potential and Porcello really doesnt.

Sorry, I didn't mean in terms of stuff and style/potential.

I just meant that they'll be close in terms of age and experience at the time of the trade.

I expect to pay less because Porcello is not the horse that Latos is, Latos has the chance to be a #1/2 starter where as RP is probably a middle rotation guy, .500 pitcher who can get you 200 innings.

But this would be a good case of getting a guy before he reaches his full potential, instead of trading for say J. Johnson or someone who has already maxed out whose value is through the roof.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
TootooTrain
-

Could it be? A minor league team in Buffalo AND Ottawa? Looks like it.

Report: Nolan Ryan part of Ottawa group
Link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...KfxiM8.twitter
Quote:
If professional baseball returns to Ottawa in 2014, there's talk the double-A franchise would have some big-name backers..

On Wednesday, the Ottawa Citizen reported the entertainment company owned by Texas Rangers president Nolan Ryan is "believed to be" negotiating through Beacon Sports Capital Partners, a Needham, MA-based investment bank specializing in professional sports, to own a minority stake in the proposed Eastern League franchise, set to be begin play in 2014.

In September, Beacon Sports reached an agreement in principle with the City of Ottawa to lease and renovate Ottawa Stadium.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Hahah, I've used FIP, xFIP and ERA+ for a while now, I just haven't really enjoyed going through everything, but the other day I made a list of pitchers who I thought AA would try to go after, so I started using fangraphs a little more lol. I didn't look at Porcello though because I've had the impression that he isn't all that valuable haha

btw, if anyone's interested, this is the list I came up with as possible targets:
I brought up Billingsley back at the trade deadline, just letting you know that even if he might be ready for the 2013 season he has big question marks regarding his UCL.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:19 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
I brought up Billingsley back at the trade deadline, just letting you know that even if he might be ready for the 2013 season he has big question marks regarding his UCL.
This team really needs guaranteed, sure thing, quality innings eaters. We need guys who can help us make the playoffs now, and also bridge the gap for some of the arms we have coming up through the system.

I don't see us makign any moves for question mark pitchers for that reason. We've got enough question marks in one way or another with Happ, Alvarez, McGowan etc.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Oh crap, I forgot about his injury...yeah, scratch him off the list then, since there's no way we go into the season with injury question marks to our top 2 pitchers.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
I hope we never see another low ceiling college arm as well. I wonder though, had trading draftpicks been allowed in MLB, if you would've seen the Jays trade the pick or trade down for a late 1st and 2nd and avoided taking a signability pick that early. It sucks that they haven't allowed draftpicks to be traded, it would definitely make it more tv friendly. Can you imagine NHL drafts without draftpicks being traded? it would be pretty damn boring to be honest.

I think its better to take a bat in the 1st round, and roll the dice on some quality HS arms in the sandwich/2nd/3rd rounds. Handing 3 million to a HS pitcher doesn't make sense, handing 1 million to three different HS pitchers makes much more sense and gives you more bullets in the chamber. It's the difference between One Beede or all three of Syndergaard, Sanchez, and Nicolino.

I really hope the Jays go after a toolsy HS hitting prospect with the 10th pick.
There aren't too many toolsy HS hitters projected to go at the top of the draft. Austin Meadows is one but he likely won't be available. Clint Frazier might be that guy and could be available where we pick. I am personally hoping we go for a College bat in Bryant or Wilson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Until now I didn't really want Porcello all that much, since on the surface he looks to have stagnated and gotten worse than his rookie year. But I just looked at his advanced stats and they've all improved, he's still only 23 (24 on Dec. 27th), his velocity went up this year...the only thing that scares me a little is his K/9 being only in the 5-range. But he's definitely someone I'd take a flier on if he's available for cheap, although if Sanchez walks I don't know if he'll be available.
One thing with at stats like FIP and xFIP is that it doesn't account for H/9 which has been awful for Porcello. It was 9.3 in his rookie season, went up to 10.4, stayed at 10.4 and then went up to 11.5 and while it likely won't stay at 11.5 (BABIP should go down) but he gives up a lot of hits and it doesn't help that he is a contact pitcher. His K rate have gone up a little bit over time but its extremely low. HR rate has gone down over the years but only slightly. He is probably better than a 4.50 ERA pitcher but I don't think he is that much better. If you can get him at a reasonable price, it's fine because he is still very young and under control.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
This team really needs guaranteed, sure thing, quality innings eaters. We need guys who can help us make the playoffs now, and also bridge the gap for some of the arms we have coming up through the system.

I don't see us makign any moves for question mark pitchers for that reason. We've got enough question marks in one way or another with Happ, Alvarez, McGowan etc.
Definitely need some reliability... But I'd still roll the dice on Anderson given the chance!

Old
11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Yeah a college hitter with solid power and plate discipline is what we need. Wilson will most likely go before the 10th spot, but Bryant will likely fall to us at 10. I know I'm reaching here, but this guy reminds me of a lot of Votto. He isn't as amazing defensively, still likely above average, but he has massive power to all fields and great plate discipline.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Definitely need some reliability... But I'd still roll the dice on Anderson given the chance!
Depending on what they'd have to give up, I'd love to see Anderson as a Jay. I think he'd be a great pitcher if healthy.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Swervin81
You da real MVP

Mickey Redmond to the Marlins.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...8102--mlb.html

Old
11-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I guess we can expect a Haren trade somewhere in the next 24 hours since the deadline to pick up his option is tomorrow.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
topched

Just because we were talking about it earlier... Shi Davidi reported that Sam Dyson was named to the AFL all-star team.

Because he's reached his innings limit, he won't be playing in it though.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I guess we can expect a Haren trade somewhere in the next 24 hours since the deadline to pick up his option is tomorrow.
If they don't find a taker willing to offer anything substantial, I think they let him walk. But I admit I'll be surprised if something doesn't get done today.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:33 PM
TootooTrain
-

Who said no Jays prospects were doing well in the AFL?

Pillar has a .472obp / 1.018ops. 3 rbi in 8 games along with 5 swipes. Not a high profile guy, but someone to keep your eyes on.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:42 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
If they don't find a taker willing to offer anything substantial, I think they let him walk. But I admit I'll be surprised if something doesn't get done today.
If they can get a decent asset that should be reason enough

Old
11-01-2012, 03:07 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Jon Morosi believes Anibal Sanchez will sign with us.

edit: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/t...photo=31402618

Old
11-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
They have to pay him 3.5 million to walk. It is expected that they are offering 3.5M to anyone willing to take him to improve the package coming back. I would love a Lind/B prospect for Haren type trade.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post

Yes please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
They have to pay him 3.5 million to walk. It is expected that they are offering 3.5M to anyone willing to take him to improve the package coming back. I would love a Lind/B prospect for Haren type trade.
They have no need for 1st base/DH player.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Quote:
Yeah a college hitter with solid power and plate discipline is what we need. Wilson will most likely go before the 10th spot, but Bryant will likely fall to us at 10. I know I'm reaching here, but this guy reminds me of a lot of Votto. He isn't as amazing defensively, still likely above average, but he has massive power to all fields and great plate discipline.
This. I really want to see Bryant here. I got him going seventh though. But it is very possible that he drops to us.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:

Sold! Then trade for an ace and the rotation is set.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:

Means little, but makes me smile nonetheless. It just makes so much sense. Very talented, presumably healthy, 4-WAR pitcher, and he's the same age as Ricky Romero and Brandon Morrow. Fits the core of this team very well.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Sold! Then trade for an ace and the rotation is set.
An ace would be nice, but I think you can actually acquire another #3\4 type and have a great rotation. Sanchez, Morrow and Romero are all capable of 4 WAR (when healthy and right). Add a 2 to 3 WAR guy as a #4, then Happ (1.5 WAR capability) as a #5, and you have yourself a very solid rotation.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:37 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
An ace would be nice, but I think you can actually acquire another #3\4 type and have a great rotation. Sanchez, Morrow and Romero are all capable of 4 WAR (when healthy and right). Add a 2 to 3 WAR guy as a #4, then Happ (1.5 WAR capability) as a #5, and you have yourself a very solid rotation.
Provided we'd spend the money...

I'd blow it on Sanchez and Jackson.

Morrow
Romero
Sanchez
Jackson
Happ/Alvarez

That rotation is good enough to compete... might be the deepest in the AL East, except for maybe the Rays.

Make a trade for a bat if possible, one that could fill the LF/2b hole, and away we go.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Provided we'd spend the money...

I'd blow it on Sanchez and Jackson.

Morrow
Romero
Sanchez
Jackson
Happ/Alvarez

That rotation is good enough to compete... might be the deepest in the AL East, except for maybe the Rays.

Make a trade for a bat if possible, one that could fill the LF/2b hole, and away we go.
Need to spend on other areas too, though, that we can address in free agency, so I'd prefer to add a second arm in trade instead. We've been talking about young, controllable guys on good deals - Anderson, Porcello, Ogando among others. That fills out your rotation while leaving a little cash in your wallet to add a bat.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i would take sanchez and jackson even tho neither is great
but both, not one or the other

the depth would be there
and morrow is an ace when healthy

Closed Thread