HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst player to lead an nhl team in scoring?

Old
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Wally Hergesheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I really find 50's hockey interesting. Maybe because I was a kid then and really becoming passionate about the game.

I can remember when Hergesheimer played. Didn't make it until 25. Had 4 great years surrounding one injury season but was finished pretty much by age 30. What happened? Anybody out there know.

Larry Wilson is another interesting case. Red wings gave him a shot then traded him to the Hawks. Had a couple of decent seasons there & then went to the AHL where he was a top player for years. Never given another NHL shot.

Both Hergesheimer & Wilson had their top scorer NHL seasons on last place teams. Boy, it was tough to make it in those days. If you looked at the coach the wrong way you could get buried in the minors.
Wally Hergesheimer. In NY younger players Andy Bathgate and Andy Hebenton surpassed him and he was not versitile so a 3rd line RW position was not for him. Chicago, basically a similar situation with Eddie Litzenberger and Eric Nesterenko ahead of him.

Larry Wilson. Teams kept sending better and younger centers to Chicago plus the Hawks developed their own.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:14 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Wally Hergesheimer. In NY younger players Andy Bathgate and Andy Hebenton surpassed him and he was not versitile so a 3rd line RW position was not for him. Chicago, basically a similar situation with Eddie Litzenberger and Eric Nesterenko ahead of him.

Larry Wilson. Teams kept sending better and younger centers to Chicago plus the Hawks developed their own.
With Wilson, they dumped him in 55-56 when he was competing with the likes of Sullivan. Ciesla, Lalonde, Skov. Not exactly superstars, all of whom were about the same age. I really think he was one of those guys that got buried in the minors.

I can see what happened in NY with Hergesheimer. Bathgate & Hebenton were younger and damn good. In chicago, he was certainly behind Litzenberger and I guess Nesterenko was considered to have more potential but Nesterenko never had scoring seasons like Hergesheimer. Four 20+ seasons including a 30 were exceptional numbers in those days.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Canadiens1958

Upside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
With Wilson, they dumped him in 55-56 when he was competing with the likes of Sullivan. Ciesla, Lalonde, Skov. Not exactly superstars, all of whom were about the same age. I really think he was one of those guys that got buried in the minors.

I can see what happened in NY with Hergesheimer. Bathgate & Hebenton were younger and damn good. In chicago, he was certainly behind Litzenberger and I guess Nesterenko was considered to have more potential but Nesterenko never had scoring seasons like Hergesheimer. Four 20+ seasons including a 30 were exceptional numbers in those days.
Larry Wilson. Glen Skov came over from Detroit with Leswick and Johnny Wilson. His defense dictated playing time. Sullivan was coming off a 61 pt season. Ciesla - 106 pts in St. Catharines and Lalonde 79pts in Galt, first year out of junior. Point could be made that they were rushed as neither had a even a solid career plus Dick Irvin Sr was not the ideal coach to break in kids plus he tended to players he knew or had given his teams a hard time.

Larry Wilson probably deserved a longer look.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
DickSmehlik

Worst player to lead their team in scoring?

Other than Dick Tarnstrom.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

I like him as a player overall, but Jeff Halpern should not be leading a team in scoring.

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Terry Yake with the inaugural Ducks team has to rank up there. Then again, expansion teams are never in a favorable position.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Should also add Scott Pellerin to the list, the leading scorer for the Wild in their first year, with less than 40 points.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:04 PM
nik jr

earl roche, a LW, led the '34 senators in scoring, but scored only 52p in his career, played only 147 games, in only 4 NHL seasons, and only 2 full seasons.

roche moved in and out of the NHL in '30s, and played about 3 times as many games in lower leagues than in NHL.

other than '34, roche never scored more than 12p. more than 1/2 of the points of his entire NHL career were scored in '34 (29 of 52).

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:47 PM
tommygunn

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1235809

tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunn View Post
Thanks. Saved me the trouble of having to search for it. Merged.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote