HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-01-2012, 11:15 AM
the_fan

vCash: 500
Change the NHL to a beer league. No commissioner, no union. Players pay to play for love of the game, like I used to do.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I think the NHL is at a point where there needs to be a radical change and I don't think it will happen unless the league crumbles. There are far too many teams in bad markets. But I don't see the league getting rid of 10 teams. Bettman needs to go...but he's not going anywhere.
does bettman need to go, or do the owner and those on the BOG who are essentially gary bettmans boss need to go?

Bettman is the mouthpiece. It's not his plan. It's not like he's the one calling the shots and is not accountable to anyone.

You want the NHL's strategy to change? fine, get rid of the the owners who he's speaking for. and that's NOT florida tampa, etc. Were talking Maple leafs, detroit, NYR, Boston, Philly.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 11-01-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: blanket flaming
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

We are frustrated because we want a target to blame and the BOG is a good spot. Fact is, even if Bettman is fired things won't change. We can't get the owners fired. We know the owners are the problem. The term 'bush league' is being used for the NHL BECAUSE of these morons.

Hockey is a great sport, the Stanley Cup is a wonderful trophy, BUT the NHL is not hockey and the Stanley Cup used to be awarded to teams other than the NHL champ.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
ThePhoenixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
We are frustrated because we want a target to blame and the BOG is a good spot. Fact is, even if Bettman is fired things won't change. We can't get the owners fired. We know the owners are the problem. The term 'bush league' is being used for the NHL BECAUSE of these morons.

Hockey is a great sport, the Stanley Cup is a wonderful trophy, BUT the NHL is not hockey and the Stanley Cup used to be awarded to teams other than the NHL champ.
We are frustrated because we want a target to blame and the players are a good spot. Fact is, even if Fehr is fired things won't change. We can't get the players fired. We know the players are the problem. The term 'bush league' is being used for the NHL BECAUSE of these morons.

Hockey is a great sport, the Stanley Cup is a wonderful trophy, BUT the players are not hockey and the Stanley Cup used to be awarded to teams other than these whiny brats.

ThePhoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:40 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Just watching the Poll, it's interesting to see how consistantly the percentage has continued to be. Still though, 25% wanting the League to dissolve, it's rather pathetic that even that many would want that.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:49 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

A part of me says no thanks but a part of me would love to see it so that the morons creating this problem out of sheer greed can realize exactly how stupid they are.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Just watching the Poll, it's interesting to see how consistantly the percentage has continued to be. Still though, 25% wanting the League to dissolve, it's rather pathetic that even that many would want that.
Of course, you have to remember that a large number of rational posters are simply going to ignore polls and discussions like this.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
I think what's funny is you think no matter what the NHL will never crumble. I'll tell you one thing. If this lockout lasts a while a new league could emerge. I'd be elated.
Who would this League be funded by?

Who would be the owners?

Who would agree to sponsor this League?

How would this League appear on TV?

Where would the teams of this League play?

Why would players give up guaranteed money to play for less in a third rate League?

Another League is not going to appear. If there were even any threat of that occurring, the lockout would end before it became anything close to reality.

And this is ignoring how you did a very good job of sidestepping the main points of my post.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:51 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Do I want to see the league dissolved? No. Would I care if it did? Not really at this point.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
73 people here are foolish children.

There is a lot of great history here, as well as a lot of good infrastructure that has been laid down for what constitutes professional hockey in North America. There is some problematic labor negotiations going on for sure. But to imply that somehow 'scrapping everything and starting over', would be easy, or successful, is foolish.

The folding of the NHL would mean the death of hockey as a major sport in North America. Millions of fans would stop following the sport for good. Arenas would be repurposed for other events; and what owner would want to get involved in some mickey-mouse replacement league that would likely end as a failed experiment. This would be a loss of an important spiritual asset of your community. Not to mention the loss of jobs and the negative impact on the economy.

If you want a beer league, go to your local community club and watch a beer league. You probably have some romantic idea of it being some pure, good-ol-boys event without any fuss 'bout money n' contracts and stuff, just guys playin' for love' and some nonsense. And maybe it is. But I want the NHL.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:04 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Ridiculous idea. Absolutely not.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:58 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
does bettman need to go, or do the owner and those on the BOG who are essentially gary bettmans boss need to go?

Bettman is the mouthpiece. It's not his plan. It's not like he's the one calling the shots and is not accountable to anyone.

You want the NHL's strategy to change? fine, get rid of the the owners who he's speaking for. and that's NOT florida tampa, etc. Were talking Maple leafs, detroit, NYR, Boston, Philly.
Eh..yes the owners are a problem but so is Bettman. To say he's just a mouthpiece is ridiculous. Why pay a guy that much a year then? You can't just pander to the owners...you have to do what's best for all parties involved. I don't think the owners pushed Gary to grow the game in non-hockey markets. You have to sometimes save the owners from themselves and I think Gary's getting off way too lightly here. He is the commish. 2 missed seasons in 7 years is bad..and I'd blame him ahead of anyone.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
It means that there are a good amount of people that want a change..if that means the NHL must dissolve, then so be it. I'm a fan of hockey. I'd love to see a revamped league...whether it's the NHL or a new league.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:06 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
73 people here are foolish children.

There is a lot of great history here, as well as a lot of good infrastructure that has been laid down for what constitutes professional hockey in North America. There is some problematic labor negotiations going on for sure. But to imply that somehow 'scrapping everything and starting over', would be easy, or successful, is foolish.

The folding of the NHL would mean the death of hockey as a major sport in North America. Millions of fans would stop following the sport for good. Arenas would be repurposed for other events; and what owner would want to get involved in some mickey-mouse replacement league that would likely end as a failed experiment. This would be a loss of an important spiritual asset of your community. Not to mention the loss of jobs and the negative impact on the economy.

If you want a beer league, go to your local community club and watch a beer league. You probably have some romantic idea of it being some pure, good-ol-boys event without any fuss 'bout money n' contracts and stuff, just guys playin' for love' and some nonsense. And maybe it is. But I want the NHL.
LOL. History. We have also erased a lot of history, also. You're aware that stanley cups were won by non-nhl teams, right? You're aware of this, correct?

And what is the NHL and the players doing for the history of the game right now? They couldn't care less about it.

I don't want a beer league. I want a proper league with a good infrastructure, a solid product run by sensible people.

You and others talk about a loss of jobs and such... isn't that what's happening right now? Will it not get worse if we're still locked out? This will all happen again 5 years from now...and 5 years after that.

Hockey is pretty much on life support in the States. And now we have this lockout..a year or 2 long lockout will kill the league in the STates...

Old
11-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
I don't think the owners pushed Gary to grow the game in non-hockey markets.
Actually, that was one of the reasons he was hired in the first place.

Quote:
Bettman's mission is simple: Put a stop to labor unrest; sell the product in television's mainstream marketplace; change the violent image of the game; curb salary inflation; force enlightened self-interest on reluctant, old-fashioned owners; expand contacts with European developmental leagues and markets; settle the divisive issue of possible Olympic involvement, and help launch several new expansion teams.
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/02/sp...missioner.html

Further, the expansion teams in San Jose and Tampa were already decided before Gary took office.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
LOL. History. We have also erased a lot of history, also. You're aware that stanley cups were won by non-nhl teams, right? You're aware of this, correct?

And what is the NHL and the players doing for the history of the game right now? They couldn't care less about it.

I don't want a beer league. I want a proper league with a good infrastructure, a solid product run by sensible people.

You and others talk about a loss of jobs and such... isn't that what's happening right now? Will it not get worse if we're still locked out? This will all happen again 5 years from now...and 5 years after that.

Hockey is pretty much on life support in the States. And now we have this lockout..a year or 2 long lockout will kill the league in the STates...
You are obviously not a Habs fan to LOL at history. 100+ years in existense, 24 Stanley cups, dozens of hall of famers, 17 retired #'s, and some of the greatest names in hockey history. I dare you to not get goose bumps walking into the Habs room at the Hockey Hall of Fame. And you want to throw that away because we have missed less than a month of a season? The lockout will end, players will come and go...but always be true to your team.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Actually, that was one of the reasons he was hired in the first place.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/02/sp...missioner.html

Further, the expansion teams in San Jose and Tampa were already decided before Gary took office.
It's one thing to want to grow the game. It's another thing to grow it in a non-hockey market that everyone and their mother knows would not support a team.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
You are obviously not a Habs fan to LOL at history. 100+ years in existense, 24 Stanley cups, dozens of hall of famers, 17 retired #'s, and some of the greatest names in hockey history. I dare you to not get goose bumps walking into the Habs room at the Hockey Hall of Fame. And you want to throw that away because we have missed less than a month of a season? The lockout will end, players will come and go...but always be true to your team.
I am a Habs fan. You should also know that there was a team in Montreal before the Habs.

Also, what makes you think all that history will be "thrown away"? If the league dissolved, we'd still have a Habs team. Just look at how the NFL came about. They didn't forget about all those wins by the Packers and Chiefs prior to the NFL.

It's not about 1 month of missed hockey. It's about far more than that.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
I am a Habs fan. You should also know that there was a team in Montreal before the Habs.

Also, what makes you think all that history will be "thrown away"? If the league dissolved, we'd still have a Habs team. Just look at how the NFL came about. They didn't forget about all those wins by the Packers and Chiefs prior to the NFL.

It's not about 1 month of missed hockey. It's about far more than that.
I guess you have no option then but to start up your league. Good luck.

Last edited by KingBogo: 11-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.
KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:39 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Amateurs? You think we have pros running the league right now? You will be able to pick top talent to run a new league. You'd even be able to bring people from the NHL. And since there are less teams in the new league... it will make things easier.

lets not act like the NHL is the be all end all and can't be improved.
Was tried and failed miserably.The NHL is going nowhere.
The NHL is the be all end all, but can be improved.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
It's one thing to want to grow the game. It's another thing to grow it in a non-hockey market that everyone and their mother knows would not support a team.
Isn't the definition of "growing the game" include introducing it to people who do not have a large cultural experience with it?

Old
11-09-2012, 11:14 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I'm ready.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i gotta ask...who are the 10 teams to contract?

why dont we do this. lets let the canadians have their National League and the Stanley Cup.
They keep the Leafs and Habs and any Canadian market they want to try in.

The USHL gets the Rangers, Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Flyers, Penguins and all the markets they want.

I bet there would be some really surprised people seeing how that actually worked out
Interesting idea.

Heck, I've heard of people feeling like the heavy Canadian saturation in North American hockey is offputting, even alienating. Divorce from the Canadian teams, stop letting them leach our money, and build a new league centered around the strongest American franchises, build the American talent pool to support it, and you might find Americans forgetting that hockey is "supposed to be Canadian" and enjoying it as the best television sport in the world. See how long the Leafs and Canadiens can keep the Canadian side NHL together with only other Canadian teams to compete with.

I'd miss the Bruins-Canadiens rivalry of course. But perhaps an exhibition series could be run like during the old NHL-PCHL days to keep the Stanley Cup doing its real job.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:05 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
That's a laugh. Any momentum that was built by the league has long been destroyed by this current lockout.
how do you know?

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

... works for me. Peter Sellers in the role of Chance Gardiner; Commissioner. Theres no way it could be worse.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote