HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 06:13 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In most of the business world, it is considered a success to make record profits 4 years after a restructuring, and to continue making record profits for 14 years afterwards.

Yes, the magical man with the white beard in the sky is going to point his finger at Fehr and say "I don't want you with me, you transferred money from billionaires to millionaires".

Random MLB attendance

1993 70.2 million (28 Teams)
2001 72.5 (30 Teams)
2006 76.1
2012 74.8

If you look at 1993 stats with 28 teams and 2012 stats with 30 teams, it is easy to say that the attendance at MLB games is flat.

Especially when you look at 1990 attendance with 26 teams which was 54.8 million.

The MLB lockout for all intents and purposes stopped the progressive and impressive growth of the MLB.

But dont let reality get in the way of your support for Fehr.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:16 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Random MLB attendance

1993 70.2 million (28 Teams)
2001 72.5 (30 Teams)
2006 76.1
2012 74.8

If you look at 1993 stats with 28 teams and 2012 stats with 30 teams, it is easy to say that the attendance at MLB games is flat.

Especially when you look at 1990 attendance with 26 teams which was 54.8 million.

The MLB lockout for all intents and purposes stopped the progressive and impressive growth of the MLB.

But dont let reality get in the way of your support for Fehr.
I was discussing profits, not attendance. Of course attendance is going to be flat in the era of 40 inch plasma TVs being available for $500. People are watching the games at home.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...baseball-2012/
Quote:
The National Pastime is flourishing thanks to cable companies’ desire for live baseball programming.

The average Major League Baseball team rose 16% in value during the past year, to an all-time high of $605 million. ...

Rights fees paid by cable television channels are behind the growth in team values. Aggregate cable television revenue for baseball’s 30 teams has increased to $923 million from $328 million over the past 10 years. And thanks to new television deals inked by teams like the Houston Astros, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Texas Rangers that have yet to kick in, as well as the pending deal for the San Diego Padres and a likely new, rich deal that will begin in 2014 for the Los Angeles Dodgers, local television revenue could exceed $1.5 billion in 2015.
But don't let reality get in the way of your support for Jeremy Jacobs.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Cole is not a strategic player . He will be retired before the habs take the big step.
His comments resonate with players who have limited earning potential in possibly their last contract .

He might be frustrated but its not about personal situations . 30 team owners(hips) , the Nhlpa, they don't care about Cole and that's his frustration.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Clarkson College is in Nebraska not New York.

You seem to assume a lot of things. Unless he runs some big business franchise on the side or is part of Mensa, it's like Couture throwing random numbers like 25% out there.
Is much of an assumption needed. After reading, and posting on these
boards for years, I don't think we set a very high standard.
And just FYI, I think being able to get your degree from a academics first
university, while playing hockey is very impressive. Running a business, or worse,
joining Mensa, not so much.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
eklund the clown

Sorry but the players are all spoiled overpaid idiots.If they couldn't play hockey most of them probably couldn't do a routine job that any of us could do.If this season gets cancelled i would make them come begging on their hands and knees or just use replacement players and let them go to the KHL or whereever.Just sick and tired of their crap

Old
11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklund the clown View Post
Sorry but the players are all spoiled overpaid idiots.If they couldn't play hockey most of them probably couldn't do a routine job that any of us could do.If this season gets cancelled i would make them come begging on their hands and knees or just use replacement players and let them go to the KHL or whereever.Just sick and tired of their crap
I think this very point proves that you have nothing relevant to say.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:33 PM
eklund the clown

Oh ya well just how long or how much would it take if you were an owner to do something this drastic?1 year,2 years 10 years?Enough already with these guys

Old
11-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
You could argue it the other way, the owners have lost more money that they stand to gain from getting their current proposal agreed too. At this point both sides are losing money because of ideology rather than pragmitism.

The hilarious thing is that the hardliners seem to be the small market teams, whose real enemy is either the salary cap floor or lack of revenue sharing, not the player's percentage of the cap. They can't realistically bring the players' salary down low enough to make themselves profitable. What they should be fighting for is either more money given to them and less money given to rich teams or the right to spend less money.
Agreed. It makes me ill that some of these teams sign players to ridiculous contracts and then complain about it. It makes me more sick to know that our teams have to pay for their teams contracts in a kinda weird way.

Parity is another word for "lets help pay for them to beat us"

Old
11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Oh ya well just how long or how much would it take if you were an owner to do something this drastic?1 year,2 years 10 years?Enough already with these guys
Agreed.. Bring on the replacement players already. Then watch the greedy little so and so's start to come back.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Sam Slick*

All these players going overseas are stealing other players jobs that have families. Its sickening. They don't care who got booted of the team because a NHL star was coming. Mars Svenson lost his spot. THe guy makes minimum and has 3 kids and a wife.

Eff the greedy players

Old
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
eklund the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
All these players going overseas are stealing other players jobs that have families. Its sickening. They don't care who got booted of the team because a NHL star was coming. Mars Svenson lost his spot. THe guy makes minimum and has 3 kids and a wife.

Eff the greedy players
Seriously these guys are crying hard times that they need a bigger piece of the pie when in reality most of them could retire after a year or 2 at the most.They couldn't care less about Mars Svenson or the guy selling hot dogs ,or the rink workers or the fans or anyone else but their spoiled greedy behinds.Bring on the replacements.It may not be the greatest to watch for a couple of years but with a new reasonable system in place it would be all worth it in the long run.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:56 PM
dcyhabs

The players give their health to the game. Many have trouble walking by the time they are done, lots of permanent aches and pains, to say nothing of those with persistent concussion problems (I know someone who had concussion issues (not from hockey), he did all sorts of stuff to try to get the problems to go away, got most of his teeth removed, got his skull cut open and filled with grease, got some nerves cut leading to partial facial paralysis, the millions of dollars may help but I suspect there are many players who would give back the money in a second if they could get reasonable health).

Most of the owners put up a fraction of the money to buy the franchise, pay for a fraction of the losses, and, eventually cash in when they sell.

I have little sympathy for owners in crappy markets. They should have done their research and they are hurting the game.

I have limited sympathy with the players but none at all for the owners. Remember Gillette? Everyone liked him and he pretty much came in and sucked money out of the team. Once you have a few million you have to be an absolute moron not to be able to get more. Well, or an uneducated ex-athelete or lottery winner. A lot of those people end up in the street 5 years after their last big paycheck... Good for Cole to work at not being one of them.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Seriously these guys are crying hard times that they need a bigger piece of the pie when in reality most of them could retire after a year or 2 at the most.They couldn't care less about Mars Svenson or the guy selling hot dogs ,or the rink workers or the fans or anyone else but their spoiled greedy behinds.Bring on the replacements.It may not be the greatest to watch for a couple of years but with a new reasonable system in place it would be all worth it in the long run.
Agreed and well said

Old
11-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
The players give their health to the game. Many have trouble walking by the time they are done, lots of permanent aches and pains, to say nothing of those with persistent concussion problems (I know someone who had concussion issues (not from hockey), he did all sorts of stuff to try to get the problems to go away, got most of his teeth removed, got his skull cut open and filled with grease, got some nerves cut leading to partial facial paralysis, the millions of dollars may help but I suspect there are many players who would give back the money in a second if they could get reasonable health).

Most of the owners put up a fraction of the money to buy the franchise, pay for a fraction of the losses, and, eventually cash in when they sell.

I have little sympathy for owners in crappy markets. They should have done their research and they are hurting the game.

I have limited sympathy with the players but none at all for the owners. Remember Gillette? Everyone liked him and he pretty much came in and sucked money out of the team. Once you have a few million you have to be an absolute moron not to be able to get more. Well, or an uneducated ex-athelete or lottery winner. A lot of those people end up in the street 5 years after their last big paycheck... Good for Cole to work at not being one of them.
I agree with a lot of your post except the bolded part. Well I agree with that too but don't care. I am a roofer/construction worker. My knees and back are nearly shot. Wheres my millions? There are far worse of people out there than me too. My sister looks after a guy with MS. That guy wishes he could walk, let alone make millions playing a game. Um, look at the guys who put their life and health on the line for real. In an upside down world does a guy playing a game earn millions more than a firefighter, police officer or a soldier.

It must be sickening to all those families to have to listen to news and sports shows about this when they just lost their son or daughter in the line of fire......so these rich sucks can do this.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:14 PM
eklund the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post

Construction workers ,factory labourers,chainsaw operators ,miners and all people in these lines of work give their health up also to feed their families and pay the bills and they are not making millions like the greedy players.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Of course! This next CBA is not for player's Cole's age. it's about the future of the NHL. He's a soldier, so he won't abandon his guys, but of course he's frustrated. For him riding out this Habs contract, he's fine!

It's OK and normal for guys in his situation to have feelings... I'm really sure he won't walk, but if the season gets cancelled, then hey! I'm walking as a fan. So ....

Old
11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 1026
We should get this article in english, that way ppl could actually read it, instead of forming opinions based on the title of this thread. Its not all that bad and quite a normal reaction. Or ppl should learn french if they prefer not to understand what the actual article says

Old
11-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Of course! This next CBA is not for player's Cole's age. it's about the future of the NHL. He's a soldier, so he won't abandon his guys, but of course he's frustrated. For him riding out this Habs contract, he's fine!

It's OK and normal for guys in his situation to have feelings... I'm really sure he won't walk, but if the season gets cancelled, then hey! I'm walking as a fan. So ....

I think I will join you. The beer taste better either way. I like Junior anyway. Good action and lots of atmosphere.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
[/B]
I think I will join you. The beer taste better either way. I like Junior anyway. Good action and lots of atmosphere.
It's too much, they tell us the league's growing, no it's failing!!!! No league goes off as much as the NHL lately. It's really Sad! There's not enough leverage by either side? Hockey is the 4th League in North America, almost 5th-Nascar pushes it on a fine weekend ...

If the NHL loses the Season, they are going to have to become door-to-door salesman & try to tell me why, I should waste my Sat eve. Lot's of life in the City, not like the Habs are stacking Cups any-more?

Last edited by Player 61: 11-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Yes that's true, but my point was more in reference to the general issue of contraction.

Hickey's system is even less likely to happen than contraction.
100% agreed.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:26 PM
macavoy

MLB went from being America's past time to being a blip on the radar.

I mean I hate literally hate the nba but the nba stirs up way more passion in America than the MLB does.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Agreed.. Bring on the replacement players already. Then watch the greedy little so and so's start to come back.
you know this is a lock out right ? Its not a strike they cant bring in replacements

Old
11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
MLB went from being America's past time to being a blip on the radar.

I mean I hate literally hate the nba but the nba stirs up way more passion in America than the MLB does.
Football will always be tops, for Good reason, it's a really great sport!, there's no doubt! I watch a lot of USA Sports News, You never see Hockey, seems to be a pecking order... Football-Basketball-Baseball- Nascar--Golf-Tennis...... Sure Hockey is way up in Cities like Boston, but that's just 1 USA City.

I'm worried about Fehr, he already helped destroy baseball in Montreal.. he might be asking for too much! The Players hired the guy to be tough, but they have to be realistic also!

Old
11-01-2012, 08:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Part of the reason Erik Cole came to Montreal is that he is completing a degree at nearby Clarkson College, or maybe has completed at this point. You'll get a better education there than at Concordia or UQAM.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cole is smarter than most of this forum.

Erik Cole is a hardworking, productive player who has put in the time to excel. He came off a career year at age 33 and probably just wanted to get back on the ice. He is probably tired of having a lockout every five years. You would be too.
Where did you hear he is completing his degree? I'm curious.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Habs

What a slap in the face considering the money this team gave him as a FA, and considering how much he sucked the first two months here. If that's his attitude, I hate him.

Closed Thread