HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Attendances Following a Work Stoppage

Old
11-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-atte...work-stoppage/

Well, I guess the owners shouldn't worry about the fans not coming back...

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
BLONG7

Hockey fans, crave hockey...that being said, this time the fans seem a little more PO'd.....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
sparkychewbarky

We are enablers.

Would Gary use the lockout as his opening salvo, if he wasn't so cocksure that the fans would flock back?

I don't think so.

We're being punished for being such "great fans".

We need to send Gary a message.

sparkychewbarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Ringmaster316

sure in Canada(minus Ottawa) and NY,CHI,BOS, Philly, Pits & Minny they will be back however lets see how

COLUMBUS, DALLAS, TAMPA, FLORIDA and these kind of teams do

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
sure in Canada(minus Ottawa) and NY,CHI,BOS, Philly, Pits & Minny they will be back however lets see how

COLUMBUS, DALLAS, TAMPA, FLORIDA and these kind of teams do
Bingo - the teams that have support will retain support. Those teams that suffer in attendance will continue to suffer...just like before the lockout.

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Orrthebest
HFBoards Sponsor

Problem is that there is no substitute for NHL hockey. Hockey fans like the sport because it is fast paced with lots of action.

Orrthebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:04 AM
ScubaSteve*

Dallas did alright out of the last lockout because they were a consistent playoff team and were only five years removed from a Stanley Cup. It's going to take a long time for the fans to come back this time, though.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

vCash: 50
You can look at it two ways:

1) Hockey fans are suffering from battered wife's syndrome, always forgiving and coming back no matter how much they are abused.

2) Hockey fans understand it's just business and don't get too emotional about CBA negotiations and lockouts. They do something else while NHL and NHLPA fight and then when hockey is back, they get back to watching hockey.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Blue And Orange
SEAHAWKS SB48 CHAMPS

I wouldn't be so sure if hockey fans will be so forgiving this time around if the NHL does the unthinkable and cancel this season.

The 1994-95 lockout was bad but it didn't cancel the whole season so a season was played along with the playoffs and the Stanley Cup was awarded.

The 2004-05 lockout was an ideological war. It was for the parity of 30 teams, cost certainty, linkage in league revenue, and the survival of small market teams (Calgary, Edmonton,etc). Most fans understood why the lockout needed to happen and most were on the owners side. After the lockout, the league reinvented itself extensively by bringing in new rule changes such as shootouts and the elimination of two-line passes. In addition, Crosby and Ovechkin helped create a buzz of this "new NHL" coming out of the post-lockout era. The league did a wonderful job marketing the game, and connecting the fans with the game and the players. What was the result? NHL revenue growing in the last seven years and seven different Stanley Cup Winners since the lockout.

So what does the NHL have to offer or use as a marketing ploy to bring fans back if they cancel the 2012-13 season? And keep in mind, this lockout isn't about salary cap vs no salary cap, this is about dividing 3.3 billion dollars of revenue between the owenrs and the players and ifthis nature of lockout destroys this season, fans won't be so forgiving like last time.

I believe if god forbid, they cancel this season, the reprucssions we will see will be similar to what we see in baseball after the 1994 strike. Fans were angry and stayed away. It took almost a generation for the MLB to recover from that strike.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:50 AM
tony d
The man

Yeah, I can't see attendance being a problem here in Canada or in the bigger hockey cities in the U.S. (Boston, Rangers, Minnesota, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and possibly Los Angeles. It's the other U.S. cities that may not have their fans come back in droves when this lockout ends.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I will tell you this, I'm certainly not going to be going to any games this year if theres a season. And if there isn't, I won't be going to games next season. The only way I break this is if we make it to the SCF again, then I'd have to go. I'm as big of a hockey fan as any, so if this is my scalded attitude I have to think there are others who are with me on this even in traditional hockey markets. I'd expect some sort of dip in revenues. The thing is though, the NHL will make the same. It just means now that the scalpers may have to drop their ticket prices to sell out haha.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:10 AM
BLONG7

The fans should not be taken for granted, again, 7-8 yrs later...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:56 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I don't think you're going to see the numbers you saw last time. There's a considerable amount of fan apathy this time around.

McRib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Jasper

vCash: 600
Maybe it's different because I don't live in a team city but I can't understand people flocking to the games, especially if they do so whenever this lockout ends. Watching on tv, yes, I honestly doubt there's a poster on this board who will really stop watching hockey. But given the price of tickets, food, beer, etc and most importantly the disrespect the NHL has and continues to show its fans, why would you hand over your cash so easily at the arenas?

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:14 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
We'll see. NHL obviously expects fans to bounce right back, and truth be told I think we'll see a bounceback, too. Traditional markets will almost assuredly see fans return immediately, and maybe smaller southern markets may take a bit of time for more casuals to realize that hockey's back and return, but I think any potential dip in attendance will unfortunately be very short-lived.

And thanks to that, the NHL won't fear fan backlash for the next lockout in 6-10 years....

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Well, I see teams like Columbus, Dallas, Anaheim, Florida, Phoenix, Carolina, Colorado, St. Louis and Nashville all take a hit in attendance after the lock-out, but the other markets will do well, whether we have a shortened season or the entire 2012-13 season is wiped out completely.

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Ok... I'll be the guilty one. If the season starts soon... I'll still be going to the same two Stars games I planned to attend (it's about 3 hours away - closest team to me)... And, I'll be buying the tv package so I can watch all the flyers games...

I've been dying all summer, waiting for the season to start...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

vCash: 50

I guess this is three times though. So maybe we were fooled again?

I think there will be obvious and measurable repercussions after this lockout. The main question is how quickly will fans return - in some places, it's more like "will they ever return?"

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post

I guess this is three times though. So maybe we were fooled again?

I think there will be obvious and measurable repercussions after this lockout. The main question is how quickly will fans return - in some places, it's more like "will they ever return?"
classic bush...i miss him

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkychewbarky View Post
We are enablers.

Would Gary use the lockout as his opening salvo, if he wasn't so cocksure that the fans would flock back?

I don't think so.

We're being punished for being such "great fans".

We need to send Gary a message.
thats right on if after the last lock out a 20% drop happenned league wide he would be a lot less cocky this time around

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM
stug*

I would love if there were someway of organizing a boycott of the first games. All 30 arenas are empty when they play. That would send one ****ing big message to the players.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

MLB attendances in 1995 were 20% down from 94, when the 2nd half of that season was lost due to the strike. Why can't we do the same when the NHL comes back on? We need to ask those baseball fans for advice because clearly, we've shown to be fine with being glutton for punishment every few years and the NHL/PA have been taking advantage of that.

Fool me once, **** you.
Fool me twice, **** me.
Fool me thrice?

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Mant*

NHL fans are battered wives. They will never stand up for themselves because they lack the willpower to do so. They will take whatever use and abuse their "loved" one gives them. All is forgiven as soon as they get taken to their favorite restaurant.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Kloparren
Hth

It's not about less revenue but the fact that future revenue is lost and growth stunted.

Also a lot of people will boycott merch like me so there will be less revenue.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:19 PM
exchequer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
MLB attendances in 1995 were 20% down from 94, when the 2nd half of that season was lost due to the strike. Why can't we do the same when the NHL comes back on? We need to ask those baseball fans for advice because clearly, we've shown to be fine with being glutton for punishment every few years and the NHL/PA have been taking advantage of that.

Fool me once, **** you.
Fool me twice, **** me.
Fool me thrice?
Fool me thrice? You can't fool me again.

exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote