HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-13 CIS Men's Hockey Top 10

Old
10-17-2012, 06:37 PM
gleanerguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Hmmm speaking of Murray Nystrom, any UNB fan out there ever wonder what would have happen if Murray Nystrom took the UNB Varsity Reds Job, actually I should say kept the job, he accepted the position and came to Fredericton only to have a change of heart right away and return to Ontario, before UNB went to their backup plan at that time unknown to Fredericton Gardiner MacDougall

I really don't think they would have had the success they've had in the 2000's if not for Gardiner getting the program going like he has, its not just the Varsity Hockey team either the whole thing, Vreds Prospects etc etc.

Ever wonder if Murray Nystrom wonders what could have been? He really hasn't done anything in Brock one year they are decent next year not so great, one Nationals appearance and I think they got slammed by both UNB and Saskatchewan
Nope. You don't get anywhere by looking back. Coaches will tell you that. Have asked Murray that question a couple of times in conversations since and he said at the time that it was a family decision...he, his wife and children loved it in St. Catharines. Presume they still do.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
RED ARMY EAST

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Mind you, they've lost twice to Moncton, albeit one of them the preseason opener, and were smoked by Boston College. I guess the game everyone clings to is the shootout loss to Portland. But the goalie who played half the Portland game was shipped out the next day, and probably that decision was made before the game. So playing against an ECHL goalie...I suspect that result has been overrated.
UNB scored 1 goal, then also held Portland to one goal. It seems to me that he must of played fairly well?? How much better could he have played?? They also tied a very strong Maine Black Bears team, from the NCAA, a few days later. Time to take that head out of the coffee pot gleaner!

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Bob Stauffer

Sask-Alberta

On the heels of losing last night in Saskatoon by a 2-1 score, the Golden Bears drop their third straight game coming up on the short end of 4-3 decision today in 'Toon Town.
Alberta started the season 11-0 but have only scored five goals in the last three games.
Today, the Huskies chased Alberta starter Real Cyr who have up four goals on 10 shots.
After out-shooting the Huskies 30-16 last night, and 34-20 today the Bears don't pick up a single point as Ryan Holfield was the difference maker this weekend.
If UNB wins tonight I will have them at #1 and the Huskies at #2.
With a 3-3 Conference record the Bears can be no higher than fifth.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:48 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Wrong thread...

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 07:18 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
UNB scored 1 goal, then also held Portland to one goal. It seems to me that he must of played fairly well?? How much better could he have played?? They also tied a very strong Maine Black Bears team, from the NCAA, a few days later. Time to take that head out of the coffee pot gleaner!
Whatever that means? All I'm saying is, the kid who played half the game, Mike Lee, was shipped out the next day. I know those decisions aren't made based on that game result. It's usually made before the game, but he plays that game and is sent out. Not dissing or dismissing the beloved program...they'll be number one again after a shutout and sweep on the road. And they'll have a great season. They'll probably get a lot out of those two losses to Moncton. And they may very well win it all and get the parade down Queen Street, if that's what you want to hear.
But there's at least one glaring weakness on the blueline that teams may exploit in a series, there are going to be injuries...I'll put my head back in the coffee pot (?) you go have a little more Kool Aid.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Whatever that means? All I'm saying is, the kid who played half the game, Mike Lee, was shipped out the next day. I know those decisions aren't made based on that game result. It's usually made before the game, but he plays that game and is sent out. Not dissing or dismissing the beloved program...they'll be number one again after a shutout and sweep on the road. And they'll have a great season. They'll probably get a lot out of those two losses to Moncton. And they may very well win it all and get the parade down Queen Street, if that's what you want to hear.
But there's at least one glaring weakness on the blueline that teams may exploit in a series, there are going to be injuries...I'll put my head back in the coffee pot (?) you go have a little more Kool Aid.

B....I mean Gleaner Guy, youve been pretty snappy with people of here lately regardless of their favorite team, whats up? No personal opinion is right unless its your opinion?

Just for say you think Fredericton could never and will never support a QMJHL Franchise if a City Rink was built (as youve blunt put in years pass press), doesn't mean others can't believe they could or infact that maybe they would succeed. Only takes one to look at the past history of the Moncton Hawks, Moncton Alpines (1st year Q) Halifax Citadels etc etc, to see Success can happen.

I Know your gonna say WTF? but common let the negativity go and believe in your city for a change its not the 80's and 90's anymore. be more open to others opinions and not isolated to your own as if they are always correct

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:12 AM
gleanerguy

I'm certainly open to others opinions. I don't believe I'm negative, but I'm not the blind-eyed, root-root-root for the home team fan that many of you on these boards are. My point of reference comes from 27 years in the media business in this city, from my job granting me access to people to ask the questions that a lot of fans would like to ask. And I think you misread me -- how many times have I said and written publicly how much I love my job and love my city and the people who make it what it is? But I'm not about to get into a ****storm on these boards and defend myself because I don't always worship at the church of the V-Reds. Goodbye.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
cishockeyfan

Im just tooting your horn, you maintained yourself well

Whats with all the UNB Worship Church facts lately (not by you only Gleaner Guy) Ive heard it a lot lately, i started attending games in the late eighties with my father when they were bad, dreaming each year they could compete with the Monctons, UPEI's and Acadias than finally mid 90's they were able to and now its to the point were the program is hated by all outside the university. Its almost like to gain some respect back UNB has to not try to win anymore. The Yankees of CIS Hockey it feels like.

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
FreddtFoyle

Week #3 CIS Men's Hockey Top 10

UNB back to #1 in latest CIS Top 10

MEN’S HOCKEY
(regular season record) / votes (first-place votes) / (previous rankings)

1. UNB (3-1-0) / 160 points (12) / (2)
2. Saskatchewan (5-1-0) / 154 (4) / (4)
3. UQTR (4-1-0) / 128 (1) / (3)
4. Alberta (3-3-0) / 94 / (1)
5. StFX (3-1-0) / 84 / (7)
6. Moncton (2-1-1) / 72 / (5)
7. Acadia (3-1-0) / 66 (1) / (NR)
8. Lakehead (4-1-1) / 50 / (10)
9. Calgary (4-2-0) / 45 / (8)
10. UBC (4-1-1) / 15 / (NR)
Also receiving votes: Toronto (14), Western (13), Manitoba (12), Ottawa (9), Waterloo (7), Windsor (7), Carleton (4), Regina (1).

My two cents: Alberta fell 3 spots and Sask is up 2 for those two Huskies wins on the weekend. Acadia is finally getting deserved Top 10 love. UBC sneaks onto list for their record, but I'd like to see them beat one of Alberta, Sask or Manitoba before taking them serious. Seeing all of Sask's points, everyone must have had them at second who didn't have them at first.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post

My two cents: Alberta fell 3 spots and Sask is up 2 for those two Huskies wins on the weekend. Acadia is finally getting deserved Top 10 love. UBC sneaks onto list for their record, but I'd like to see them beat one of Alberta, Sask or Manitoba before taking them serious. Seeing all of Sask's points, everyone must have had them at second who didn't have them at first.
At least three people had UNB at 3rd or 4th - probably related to their record of having the fewest games (4 vs 5 and 6).

At least 10 of 13 had USask second.

UQTR hasn't played a ranked team and their schedule is really soft with only four potential tough games in the first half (another game vs Ottawa, Wateroo and Lakehead twice) and nothing in the second except UoO twice. Not sure that bodes well for them.

There were times last year you had to wait every 2 weeks for a good matchup in the CW, but this year there is one every week (so far). This week there are two; it's UBC vs USask and UMan vs CAL.

In the AUS, UNB has to take on the next AUS challenger in Acadia and then an easy (hopefully easy) game vs DAL. While UdeM takes on SFX for the second time (one pre-season game won by SFX 5-3).

In the OUA there are two match-ups of interest; a two game series between Western and Lakehead and a Sunday afternoon game between UoO and UQTR

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
UNB back to #1 in latest CIS Top 10

MENíS HOCKEY

5. StFX (3-1-0) / 84 / (7)
6. Moncton (2-1-1) / 72 / (5)
7. Acadia (3-1-0) / 66 (1) / (NR)
8. Lakehead (4-1-1) / 50 / (10)
9. Calgary (4-2-0) / 45 / (8)
10. UBC (4-1-1) / 15 / (NR)
Also receiving votes: Toronto (14), Western (13), Manitoba (12), Ottawa (9), Waterloo (7), Windsor (7), Carleton (4), Regina (1).

IMO the voters have not accounted for the CW schedule. In a quirk, Calgary, UBC, Lethbridge, and Regina played a round-robin, whilst Manitoba, Sask, Alberta, and Mount Royal did likewise. I don't think they gave full credit for wins over Mount Royal. They were better than Lethbridge and Regina in pre-season, and also split with Calgary. Lethbridge and Regina appear to be, by far, the weakest teams, neither winning a pre-season game against anybody other than ACAC teams. The big issue is whether Regina's two wins over UBC and Calgary were a sign of their strength or their opponents' weakness. Also, against NCAA teams, Lethbridge and Regina were embarrassed. UBC had a win, a loss, and a tie (even though they were generally outshot). Manitoba was basically even in shots over two games, losing 5-3 and drawing 3-3. So while Regina is 4-2, I am not convinced that they have played as well as 1-5 MRU.

I guess the point of the foregoing is that UBC and Calgary split with each other, swept Lethbridge, and split with Regina. So the OHT35 has them at 11 and 12.

I guess that the OHT35 award for most under-rated would go to Ottawa.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
FreddtFoyle

Oct. 30 Top 10

MEN’S HOCKEY

1. Saskatchewan (7-1-0) / 159 points (15) / (2)
2. Alberta (5-3-0) / 129 / (4)
3. Moncton (4-1-1) / 124 / (6)
4. UNB (4-2-0) / 121 / (1)
5. UQTR (5-2-0) / 102 / (3)
6. Acadia (4-2-0) / 90 / (7)
7. StFX (4-2-0) / 64 / (5)
8. Lakehead (5-2-1) / 50 / (8)
9. Toronto (5-0-1) / 48 (2) / (NR)
10. Calgary (5-3-0) / 30 / (9)

Also receiving votes: Ottawa (7), Manitoba (4), Windsor (4), Waterloo (2), Western (1).

My two cents: UofS, Alberta and UdeM swept their weekends. The other top teams all had splits. This appears to be the reason for the big shuffle in the top 5. But Toronto with two No. 1 votes? Seriously?

Old
10-30-2012, 01:48 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Toronto getting first place votes is clearly the case of two people just looking at their record and nothing more. I know they are the only team left without a regulation loss but they haven't exactly played a tough schedule so far. How anyone can rank them ahead of Saskatchewan is beyond me. How do these people keep their voting privileges anyways...it doesn't even seem like they put any effort or research into it.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:03 PM
SnipeShow91

I can make the argument that Toronto deserves some first place votes. Undefeated, dominated who they have played against thus far, firing 40+ shots every game and they are very well coached. They have outplayed and smashed teams. Don't be mad at the OUA. The Rodney Dangerfield of CIS hockey!

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
MENíS HOCKEY

1. Saskatchewan (7-1-0) / 159 points (15) / (2)
2. Alberta (5-3-0) / 129 / (4)
3. Moncton (4-1-1) / 124 / (6)
4. UNB (4-2-0) / 121 / (1)
5. UQTR (5-2-0) / 102 / (3)
6. Acadia (4-2-0) / 90 / (7)
7. StFX (4-2-0) / 64 / (5)
8. Lakehead (5-2-1) / 50 / (8)
9. Toronto (5-0-1) / 48 (2) / (NR)
10. Calgary (5-3-0) / 30 / (9)

Also receiving votes: Ottawa (7), Manitoba (4), Windsor (4), Waterloo (2), Western (1).

My two cents: UofS, Alberta and UdeM swept their weekends. The other top teams all had splits. This appears to be the reason for the big shuffle in the top 5. But Toronto with two No. 1 votes? Seriously?

If Acadaia did not lose to UPEI they probably would have been at least second.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
SP Saskatuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
I can make the argument that Toronto deserves some first place votes. Undefeated, dominated who they have played against thus far, firing 40+ shots every game and they are very well coached. They have outplayed and smashed teams. Don't be mad at the OUA. The Rodney Dangerfield of CIS hockey!
Yes, these Rodney Dangerfield Danglers may deserve Top-10 votes, but two No. 1 votes?
How can a team go from completely non-ranked to suddenly getting two first-place votes? How does that work?

SP Saskatuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
blackmarketmob

U of T is definately an enigma to me, they have a great win-loss record, but I cannot figure out how. They have about 2 CHL defencemen and 3 CHL forwards, with no major junior experienced goaltenders. I have no idea how their team can compete with say Carleton which far exceeds them on paper. It seems a good chunk of Toronto's players topped out around 40-50 points in the OJHL.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:37 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
U of T is definately an enigma to me, they have a great win-loss record, but I cannot figure out how. They have about 2 CHL defencemen and 3 CHL forwards, with no major junior experienced goaltenders. I have no idea how their team can compete with say Carleton which far exceeds them on paper. It seems a good chunk of Toronto's players topped out around 40-50 points in the OJHL.
Just cause they have less than the amount of CHL grads means absolutley nothing. Its almost over rated at times. They just play a good 4 line, 6 defenseman team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:48 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Just cause they have less than the amount of CHL grads means absolutley nothing. Its almost over rated at times. They just play a good 4 line, 6 defenseman team. Nothing more, nothing less.
The results of the National Championship over the past 5-6 years seem to indicate otherwise. Champions during that period included UNB, SMU, Alberta, and excluded Queen's, Toronto and RMC for example. Toronto appears to have excellent balance top to bottom, and be well coached but I predict them to fall off.

You are right that alot of emphasis is placed on major junior experience by many posters, maybe too much so, myself included. In the OUA in particular, getting former Jr.A high scorers can certainly be an asset, as sometimes they have the ability to make plays that former CHL grinders cannot, or may be more well rounded than equally skilled CHL counterparts.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 11-01-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
The results of the National Championship over the past 5-6 years seem to indicate otherwise. Champions during that period included UNB, SMU, Alberta, and excluded Queen's, Toronto and RMC for example. Toronto appears to have excellent balance top to bottom, and be well coached but I predict them to fall off.

You are right that alot of emphasis is placed on major junior experience by many posters, maybe too much so, myself included. In the OUA in particular, getting former Jr.A high scorers can certainly be an asset, as sometimes they have the ability to make plays that former CHL grinders cannot, or may be more well rounded than equally skilled CHL counterparts.
It is important, but its not an overly big deal, to the point where it means nothing because everyone is talented at this level throughout all 35 teams. Are you ready for tomorrow night though? Tough loss for the Hawks tonight. We are doing webcasting now so you can watch the game.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:48 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
It is important, but its not an overly big deal, to the point where it means nothing because everyone is talented at this level throughout all 35 teams. Are you ready for tomorrow night though? Tough loss for the Hawks tonight. We are doing webcasting now so you can watch the game.
I have a link to the webcast, I am not sure I will be able to catch all of it, but I will definitely tune in for some. I watched the full webcast of tonight's game. Laurier is so much improved as a team from last year, but have really struggled to generate quality offensive chances. While they are typically roughly even with their opponents in shots (last year they averaged getting outshot by about 2-1), they do not really get great quality shots all that often. However, when they turn the puck over, it also seems to find a way into their net. Laurier has great depth but lack many game breakers, and are playing with 3 lines, and a pieced together 4th line made up of their 15th, 16th and 17th forwards as they are missing 3 regulars up front all of whom have either OHL or NCAA experience.

When I first started watching Laurier hockey in 2006-2007 a game against RMC would have been a coin toss of whether Laurier would hit double digits in goals. I still think Laurier is the stronger team on paper, but have struggled out of the gate, and are coming off 2 consecutive losses where their most important player, former Ottawa Senators pick Ryan Daniels (G) was not playing as well as he typically does. Combine this with playing a team sitting higher in the standings and likely riding high off consecutive wins against an improved Concordia team, and it is tough not to label RMC as the favourite.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
FreddtFoyle

CIS MENíS HOCKEY TOP 10 (#5)

Voting is based on a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis, with a 1st place vote worth 10 points. The CIS Menís Ice Hockey Top Ten Committee is made up of media members from across Canada.

1. Saskatchewan (7-1-0) / 164 points (15) / (1)
2. Alberta (7-3-0) / 144 (1) / (2)
3. Acadia (6-2-0) / 129 / (6)
4. UQTR (6-2-1) / 110 (1) / (5)
5. Moncton (5-2-1) / 100 / (3)
6. UNB (5-3-0) / 82 / (4)
7. Lakehead (6-3-1) / 48 / (8)
8. Saint Maryís (5-3-0) / 40 / (NR)
9. Calgary (5-3-0) / 35 / (10)
10. Windsor (6-2-0) / 29 / (NR)

Also receiving votes: StFX (17), Toronto (16), McGill (6), Ottawa (5), Western (4), Carleton (3), Manitoba (2), UPEI (1).

My two cents: Referee Thayer Doyle is the gift that keeps giving. That controversial loss to Saint Mary's drops UNB to 6th and puts SMU on the Top 10 in 8th rank (if UNB had won that game they would have been tied for 1st place in AUS standings and probably would have moved up, instead of down in the rankings). But enough about that. Acadia finally ranked where they should be in my opinion.

Old
11-06-2012, 03:26 PM
northvanman

My 2 cents: No way is Lakehead #7 - I'd argue that they don't even belong on the list. If you had to pick another OUA team (and I'm not sure you do), Ottawa and maybe Carleton are more deserving based on record and strenght of schedule. I also think it's just a matter of time before McGill (5 consecutive wins) and Western (3 consecutive wins) are back on, although neither appears to be as strong as they were a year ago.

Last edited by northvanman: 11-06-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typos
northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
FreddtFoyle

Nov. 13 CIS TOp 10

MENíS HOCKEY

1. Alberta (9-3-0) / 159 points (10) / (2)
2. Acadia (8-2-0) / 145 (3) / (3)
3. Saskatchewan (8-2-0) / 138 (2) / (1)
4. UNB (7-3-0) / 120 (1) / (6)
5. UQTR (7-3-1) / 94 (1) / (4)
6. Moncton (6-3-1) / 71 / (5)
7. Windsor (8-2-0) / 58 / (10)
8. Lakehead (7-3-2) / 41 / (7)
9. Western (7-3-0) / 27 / (NR)
10. Saint Maryís (6-4-0) / 21 / (8)

Also receiving votes: Manitoba (18), Toronto (13), Calgary (8), Guelph (7), StFX (6), McGill (3), UBC (3), Regina (2), UPEI (1).

My two cents: Other than Alberta, #1 votes are all over the map. Good to see Acadia get some deserved votes. This weekends Acadia @ UNB game could have a big effect on the AUS standings and the rankings.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
gleanerguy

My two cents: How does UNB get a number one vote from a pollster when they're not even number one in their conference?