HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 02:28 AM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Gosh, I'll give a shot at next years roster. That'll be interesting.

Jarry
?????

Corbett Sautner
Mayo Shmoorkoff
Irving ?????
(Maybe Gernat will play as a 20 year old because of his injuries)

Moroz Lazar Wruck (I think Wruck can play next year)
Kulda Benson Bertolucci
Baddock Pollock ????? (Maybe Legault as a 20 if Gernat goes to OKC or Stockton)
???? ???? ?????

I trust Bob Green and Randy Hansch to fill the holes. They seem to know what they're doing.
Backup will be Patrick Dea, first rounder out of St. Albert from last years draft and I expect Andrew Koep from Lloyd to make it as well on forward. Pretty sure Legault is gonna stay on as a 20 and Corbett too in all likelihood, they better find a way to get Mayo in at least 40+ games this year because he's going to have to be in a top-4 role next year.

This is what happens when you have great teams in junior hockey, the reason we are so dominant now is because St. Croix and Wruck got so much ice-time because the team was mediocre and they got to play first powerplay and stuff as young guys. When your team gets better obviously winning becomes paramount over development at times and the young guys don't get to play as much. Fully expect next year to be a transition year but I think playoffs will definitely still be the goal.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:22 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wruck is 20 as well.

They only have two, and I expect them to add one more before the deadline.
OK. Thanks. For some reason, I thought that you could only have 2 20 year olds and the Oil Kings had Foster and one open spot.

So I guess Corbett, Legault, and possibly Gernat or Wilson as 20s next year?

Old
11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
OK. Thanks. For some reason, I thought that you could only have 2 20 year olds and the Oil Kings had Foster and one open spot.

So I guess Corbett, Legault, and possibly Gernat or Wilson as 20s next year?
I think Gernat will be in the ahl.

Depending on how his shoulder is doing.

They can keep four if one is injured and then drop one of the others when he is healthy enough to return to the lineup.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:42 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Shmoorkoff really isn't that good at all. He's sheltered as hell out there, the coaches seem very selective when/who he gets to see on the ice. I know he brings that toughness/fighting/character element which they don't really have because now Geertsen is gone, but he could very well be going down to Jr. A next year, he's only played in like half the games so far and he's an 18-year-old rookie..
Have you seen Sautner play. I would Take Shmoorkoff 10/10 times over Sautner. Shmoorkoff is just making the transition to a better he will get better as the time goes on.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Joe Hallenback

This is the Oil Kings protected list from the end of last year. It might have changed a bit this year but not by much

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/2012...-edmonton.html

Old
11-01-2012, 12:22 PM
edmontonfan59

With the amount of players the Oil Kings could lose next year how are the prospects they currantly have doing with their Midget or Jr A teams?

Old
11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
This is the Oil Kings protected list from the end of last year. It might have changed a bit this year but not by much

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/2012...-edmonton.html
Some promising looking players there.

Geertsen never got much of a chance here unfortunately.

Im wondering if Shmoorkoff's gritty play lately maybe made Geertsen a little easier to part with?

Mason was struggling a bit the last few games with some bad giveaways and seemed to have a bit of trouble keeping up to the pace of play. Still a favourite of mine and I hope he is able to show something the rest of the way.

Playing for the Giants instead of the Oil Kings probably isnt going to help his draft much unfortunately.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:29 PM
dnicks17

There any indication of Craig Simpson's kid, Riley, intending to play with the OKs or is he going the NCAA route like Dillon?

Old
11-01-2012, 03:50 PM
40oz

Martin Gernat just tweeted "@MartyGernat: Next week im in town"

What town? Edmonton? Yeeessh

Old
11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
I am the Liquor

Ive heard he was coming to Edmonton this week or next (cant recall which).

Old
11-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
There any indication of Craig Simpson's kid, Riley, intending to play with the OKs or is he going the NCAA route like Dillon?
I haven't heard, but from what I understand the NCAA and an education is very import to the Simpson family.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:21 PM
tiger_80

How has Moroz played of late? Seems like his offensive stats are better now than at the start of the season.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
How has Moroz played of late? Seems like his offensive stats are better now than at the start of the season.
Once he got on a line with Ewanyk and Wilson he has done a lot better. It is not even far fetched to say that their line was the best line during this recent homestand.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
40oz

Quote:
Ive heard he was coming to Edmonton this week or next (cant recall which).
Hopefully we can get some sort of a timeline on his recovery, he's definitely missed back there. They need a wildcard on the backend.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Hopefully we can get some sort of a timeline on his recovery, he's definitely missed back there. They need a wildcard on the backend.
As long as he is back and healthy for the playoffs.

They dont really need him in the regular season. Well, I mean they need him, but they dont need him, if that makes any sense.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:00 PM
monkeywrench

Does anyone know what 20 year olds that will be aviable for the Oil Kings to acquire?

Old
11-01-2012, 10:57 PM
40oz

Quote:
As long as he is back and healthy for the playoffs.

They dont really need him in the regular season. Well, I mean they need him, but they dont need him, if that makes any sense.
Lowe was on Stauffer tonight and he hinted at January as a possible ETA. That isn't too bad at all, it would give him time to get his timing back before playoffs and then some.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Lowe was on Stauffer tonight and he hinted at January as a possible ETA. That isn't too bad at all, it would give him time to get his timing back before playoffs and then some.
Great news.

They will terrorize the league with both Musil and Gernat added to the team. Will be nice to see a first unit pp with at least one dman again. I would still like to see them use Reinhart on the first unit pp. They need to utilize his big shot from the point. Right now they have no threat from the point and I think that makes their pp easier to defend.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:29 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Have you seen Sautner play. I would Take Shmoorkoff 10/10 times over Sautner. Shmoorkoff is just making the transition to a better he will get better as the time goes on.
Well I'm not exactly saying Sautner is good, I'm just saying Shmoorkoff also isn't good. He's not exactly a 16-year-old.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:33 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Great news.

They will terrorize the league with both Musil and Gernat added to the team. Will be nice to see a first unit pp with at least one dman again. I would still like to see them use Reinhart on the first unit pp. They need to utilize his big shot from the point. Right now they have no threat from the point and I think that makes their pp easier to defend.
I don't know why you keep saying this, their powerplay is currently extremely dangerous, I don't know stats but it might even be best in the league... Why would you mess with a good thing? Wruck and St. Croix have been running this thing for 3 years and I think they've been doing a pretty decent job I'd say. Just because Reinhart was drafted high doesn't mean he has to play first powerplay or that he automatically gets a slot. The powerplay looks fine, it's literally the least of concerns at the moment.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:39 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Basically a 1% chance, that might be generous. Riley is still playing midget AAA this year for SSAC after starting the season with Spruce Grove.

I think they're hoping he has a season next year like Steve's son Adam Tambellini did out in Vernon last year (scholarship to North Dakota) and he can get a major D1 scholarship. If anything else, he is pretty much guaranteed a spot at Michigan State.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:09 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I don't know why you keep saying this, their powerplay is currently extremely dangerous, I don't know stats but it might even be best in the league... Why would you mess with a good thing? Wruck and St. Croix have been running this thing for 3 years and I think they've been doing a pretty decent job I'd say. Just because Reinhart was drafted high doesn't mean he has to play first powerplay or that he automatically gets a slot. The powerplay looks fine, it's literally the least of concerns at the moment.
I think my reasoning was pretty clear in my post,, and it has nothing to do with where Reinhart was drafted. They dont utilize a point shot with the current configuration. Its a lot of passing around the perimeter and through the middle where it is usually picked off. Lots of times the pp is wasted without even getting off a single shot.

Reinhart has a very hard, very effective shot from the point and it is not being utilized. I think that is a mistake. You are free to disagree and can throw out the stats jibber-jabber if you want.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Well I'm not exactly saying Sautner is good, I'm just saying Shmoorkoff also isn't good. He's not exactly a 16-year-old.
Shmoorkoff has been more reliable than Sautner. And they are the same age but Sautner is one development year older.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:13 PM
40oz

Well Shmoorkoff is seeing the bench tonight

Lowe - Musil
Reinhart - Corbett
Saunter - Mayo

Samuelsson starts the night off, 1-0 Oil Kings.
edit: Ewanyk had the lone assist.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I am the Liquor

Pretty entertaining game tonight between two good teams.

Sautner and Mayo on for the first two goals. That pairing is huge fail.

Also interesting to see the five forward unit pp give up a 2-0 the other way and then being hemmed in their own end for a good minute after that with Foster and Wruck trying and failing to play defense.

I thought Jarry played pretty well. Two of the goals he let in were questionable, but he made several very big saves. Lots of uncharacteristic horrid turnovers by players like Reinhart, Musil and St. Croix. So far this year they have lost three times to Calgary, twice to PA and once to Kamloops. They are going to have to start beating the good teams or they will be in trouble.

Closed Thread