HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Two weeks worth of non AHL games will do absolutely nothing to him in the long run.
This discussion was had a number of months ago and the number of games due to team Canada's TC and the WJC's was higher than many anticipated. I leave it up to him TBH, he's already been dealt a bad deal due to the lockout and I'd want to keep him happy. That said if he was indifferent I'd rather he stay in OKC and continue to work on his game against the best competition that he can face.

11-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
I think it would be a good experience for him. It would be lower competition than what he is currently facing but much higher pressure.
Higher pressure, but that's the only thing that the WJC's would have on this years AHL. The AHL is a tougher league where you play against men, and against much better defensemen and players in general on average.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Absolutely. Much more important, higher pressure games against the best in his age group. It would be a very good gauge of his leadership ability.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
For what it's worth, I tweeted Dan Tencer about this the other day, and he said if there's no NHL RNH will be going. "He's a lock" he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Higher pressure, but that's the only thing that the WJC's would have on this years AHL. The AHL is a tougher league where you play against men, and against much better defensemen and players in general on average.
I think he would be in a more valuable leadership role though. Sure he's a leader in OKC, but he's not going to miss out on any leadership building by missing 5-15 games with OKC.

All in all its just a different experience to help build his character. Won't hurt his confidence either.

Quote:
This discussion was had a number of months ago and the number of games due to team Canada's TC and the WJC's was higher than many anticipated. I leave it up to him TBH, he's already been dealt a bad deal due to the lockout and I'd want to keep him happy. That said if he was indifferent I'd rather he stay in OKC and continue to work on his game against the best competition that he can face.
It all depended on how much time he actually misses. If he goes to the Full camp/tourny i think its like 15 games. If he just goes to the tourny Its like 5 or 6 games.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Absolutely. He will face tougher competition playing in the AHL but it will be good for him to play for team Canada again. Got shafted as a 17 year old, didn't get a chance as an 18 year old, this will be his last chance to play in the WJC.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:43 PM
shai04

Absolutely not.

Junior is for Junior players.

Why would we put him into a tournament with inferior teammates and opposition? He needs to be working on a good pro game, not padding his junior resume.

Reinforcing old habits, and the "it works in junior" play style will have a negative impact on RNH.

He is already on Team Canada's radar. That argument does not hold water either. Junior play will not be the deciding factor in a roster spot, being on a line with two other candidates will be. Ask the SJ Sharks how that process works.

Its about what is good for the Edmonton Oilers. Not the fans. And certainly not RNH's trophy case.

shai04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Hollywood Burrows

yes please

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:48 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

He should go for no other reason than the fact that the World Juniors are probably, personally, infinitely more important and meaningful to him than a handful of AHL regular season games.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Absolutely. Look at the names on the last lockout team. Also, hopefully Yak gets to go.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

This is the no-brainer of the century

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shai04 View Post
Absolutely not.

Why would we put him into a tournament with inferior teammates and opposition? He needs to be working on a good pro game, not padding his junior resume.

Reinforcing old habits, and the "it works in junior" play style will have a negative impact on RNH.

He is already on Team Canada's radar. That argument does not hold water either. Junior play will not be the deciding factor in a roster spot, being on a line with two other candidates will be. Ask the SJ Sharks how that process works.

Its about what is good for the Edmonton Oilers. Not the fans. And certainly not RNH's trophy case.
Mike Richards, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Shea Wber, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron.

Ask any of them if playing a handful of mid-season AHL games would be better than world juniors.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Qrispy

If he wants to, sure. He's not going to have another chance at it again, so why not. Weaker competition but it will still be a great experience.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:28 PM
shai04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Mike Richards, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Shea Wber, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron.

Ask any of them if playing a handful of mid-season AHL games would be better than world juniors.
Your comparing RNH with players who were in CHL during the lockout? Apples and oranges.

Junior players playing in a junior tournament.

Only Bergeron played in the AHL in 2004-05.

shai04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Absolutely not.

No one can argue that the WJC will give him better competition than the AHL. At the end of the day though the AHL is just that the AHL. Personally I think the character building that RNH would experience going through the WJC would be more valuable than playing an extra 7-15 games in the AHL with Hall and Eberle.

I understand the value of Hall and Eberle building chemistry. I get that, but missing 7-15 games isn't going to hurt that chemistry. If it was sooo important then Hall probably would have been playing a lot earlier than he was this season, instead of making sure his shoulder was 100% before he got back into game action.

To me the Leadership opportunity and pressure of the WJC will pay off big time when it comes his turn to lead the Oilers in the playoffs.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Your comparing RNH with players who were in CHL during the lockout? Apples and oranges.

I bet all those guys would have played in the NHL that year though. But you are right, they are more comparable to Yakupov. Should Yakupov play in the WJC???

Old
11-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Wheatking

I'm in the minority but I don't think he should go. He'd be a professional playing in a junior tournament. There are other deserving 18/19 year old Canadians that are capable of carrying the load. For a lot of young players, this tournament is their coming out party.

Stamkos was struggling at the start of his rookie season. What if Tampa had sent him to the World Juniors? Would Eberle have even been on the ice to score that goal against the Russians in 2009? Even if you think the answer is yes, I'm sure you can see my point. It's an opportunity to be a household name for a couple weeks and see how you stack up against the best in your age group. If RNH is on the team, everyone gets bumped down. Huberdeau becomes the 2nd line center. A guy like Scheifele is more than capable of being the team's 2nd line center. Instead he'll be in the same checking role he was in last year. RNH is an NHLer and these guys deserve a chance to be Canada's go to players.

I don't want to sound too cocky but we're Canada and we don't need RNH to win the gold. Let the junior stars have the spotlight.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I'm in the minority but I don't think he should go. He'd be a professional playing in a junior tournament. There are other deserving 18/19 year old Canadians that are capable of carrying the load. For a lot of young players, this tournament is their coming out party.
Imagine his career looked like this:

World Champion - Gold
World Cup - Gold
Olympics - Gold
World Juniors - The Edmonton Oilers would not allow him to go during the lockout, despite being eligible, because they felt he should play in the AHL.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

I think I've changed my mind on this. I'm not opposed to RNH going any more. Part of my reasoning is for his health, I'd rather not see him get injured in the AHL and considering players are taking liberties with our young guys, I think there's some risk. He's much less likely to get injured at the WJHC, and it will be a valuable experience for him.

I think it would be fair to just let him decide. If he doesn't want to go, cool, we've got a great place for him to play in OKC. If he wants to go and try to win gold for Canada, then that's cool too.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

Stamkos was struggling at the start of his rookie season. What if Tampa had sent him to the World Juniors? Would Eberle have even been on the ice to score that goal against the Russians in 2009? Even if you think the answer is yes, I'm sure you can see my point. It's an opportunity to be a household name for a couple weeks and see how you stack up against the best in your age group. If RNH is on the team, everyone gets bumped down. Huberdeau becomes the 2nd line center. A guy like Scheifele is more than capable of being the team's 2nd line center. Instead he'll be in the same checking role he was in last year. RNH is an NHLer and these guys deserve a chance to be Canada's go to players.

I don't want to sound too cocky but we're Canada and we don't need RNH to win the gold. Let the junior stars have the spotlight.
I bet you that the majority of the players in the WJC play pro hockey and not Junior. Almost all of the teams from overseas are made up of pro players.

So what your saying is that Colin Fraser would have been a better NHL player if he would have had a larger role in the 2005 WJC?

Eberle's game tying goal is what we remember him for in the 2009 WJC but that's not what made him a good hockey player. If he was on the bench for that moment he is still one of the Oilers best players today. If you are picking the team based on who you think need to play in the tournament more to build their draft stock or what ever then you are picking the team wrong. Hockey Canada has 1 goal and 1 goal only, and that's to win. If they think RNH will help them win then they will take him, and should.

You don't sound cocky, you sound ignorant. Canada is never a lock to win this tournament. Look at last year, Bronze.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

World Champion - Gold
World Cup - Gold
Olympics - Gold
World Juniors - The Edmonton Oilers would not allow him to go during the lockout, despite being eligible, because they felt he should play in the AHL.
I don't think it's going to come down to the Oilers saying no, it will come down to him.

It's not like he is playing in the AHL with a bunch of AHLers, he is playing with a lot of teammates and future teammates. One of which who went out of his way to come down to the AHL to play with his friends.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
As for Yak I'll be shocked if he doesn't go. He's playing in that Super Series, so I suspect he'll play for the Russians at the WJC too.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
This is my feeling as well. Let him go if he wants to. If he says he is fine either way, tell him he should play with his NHL teammates in the AHL to further their development as a group.

It would be sick seeing him dominate the worlds though. RNH vs. Yakupov for gold?

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Absolutely not.

I'm not going to be upset if he plays in the WJC. I want to be able to watch him on TV if there is no NHL. But I don't think he needs a WJC medal to fit in. The kid is money.

The only argument for him playing there in terms of development is to get some leadership experience. But I'll argue that he's getting exactly that in OKC right now too.

Sure there is intensity in the WJC. But I think learning how to play with intensity every night, when intensity isn't built into the situation is a valuable skill too. Great players need to be great in road games on cold nights in January when nobody wants to be there.

If he goes, fine. But I don't think his career needs it.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

There are players in the NHL whose team will let them go play in it. In Europe, lots of them are on mens teams not junior teams and they all go play. In the US, guys who are playing in college go play in the world junior. It is a U20 tournament not a "tournament for players in junior".

Old
11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Jooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

World Champion - Gold
World Cup - Gold
Olympics - Gold
Technically it's this:

World Juniors - Cut from 2010 U20 Team - Kevin Prendergast effect.

Jooked is offline   Reply With Quote