HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ville de Québec Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeTretiak View Post
I too like the fan design except for the puck. Remove the puck and it's perfect. I don't understand the need to include hockey equipment in the logo. I know, I know, the Penguins, Sharks, and Capitals all do it but...still doesn't look right to me. It's a short cut in brand building to tell the casual fan that this logo belongs to a hockey team.
I agree with you here - no need to beat us over the head with the fact that it's a hockey team.

Another small tweak I'd make would be to take the fleur de lys off the shoulder (it's already the front crest) and replace it with a silhouette of the Don de Dieu (Samuel de Champlain's ship), which appears on the flag of Quebec City

I think the combination of the colours, the fleur de lys, the owl, the depiction of the city walls, the ship (should somebody read this and heed my suggestion), and the Nordiques name, come together very nicely to paint a picture of the history and identity of the city.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Shawa666

deleted

Last edited by Shawa666: 10-31-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: can't unbork link.
Old
10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I agree with you here - no need to beat us over the head with the fact that it's a hockey team.

Another small tweak I'd make would be to take the fleur de lys off the shoulder (it's already the front crest) and replace it with a silhouette of the Don de Dieu (Samuel de Champlain's ship), which appears on the flag of Quebec City

I think the combination of the colours, the fleur de lys, the owl, the depiction of the city walls, the ship (should somebody read this and heed my suggestion), and the Nordiques name, come together very nicely to paint a picture of the history and identity of the city.
Team colors: Quebec flag blue, white, gold. Maybe the "crenelures" in white on the jersey instead of gold.

The flag of the city on one shoulder and the province on the other?
Unite the two meanings of Quebec.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The goat is Baptiste, the symbol and mascot of the Royal 22e Régiment which is garrisoned in the Quebec Citadelle and has served as the infantry regiment for Quebec going back to World War I (seeing action at numerous infamous battles including the Somme, Vimy Ridge, and Normandy). The goat itself is historical... it's descended from a goat that was gifted to the regiment by the Queen in the 50's which was descended from a goat that had been owned by Queen Victoria.
Yea, The owner of the Citadelles was a big Canadian nationalist and wanted to counterstrike for QC always having Quebec(province)-first colors and imageries.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
One fan concept I liked a lot from the unnoficial Nords board was this:

FINAL7 par va2sg, sur Flickr

It uses the same colors as the baseball team. It uses a snowy owl animal that forms a fleur-de-lys, both of which are Quebec symbols.
That is nice!

I wonder though if there's not too many elements in the uniform to make it work. It's as if the designer wanted to have his cake and eat too:
-colors of the Quebec city flag CHECK
-giving it the Remparts surrounding the city designs CHECK
-while keeping the Fleurs-de-Lys CHECK
-putting the animal representative of the province CHECK

All remains is putting the big wolf/dragon head of the shape of the province and you're set. lol

I think sometime simplicity all around works better.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:05 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibb View Post
I'm only a dude from Ottawa but I'm going to assume since the team in is based in Quebec City and named after the Citadel it has something to do with this group of badasses..

...the Van Doos

I know the significance of the Citadelle name. I just didn't know about the goat connection.

I would still never compare that Citadelles logo to the Blackhawks logo. The Hawks logo is bright, colorful and wonderfully complex and one of the best in sports. The Citadelles logo strikes me as dull and simplistic. Just my opinion. But then I still like the original Nordiques logo and I loved the Expos logo.

Last edited by rojac: 11-01-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old
11-01-2012, 11:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That is nice!

I wonder though if there's not too many elements in the uniform to make it work. It's as if the designer wanted to have his cake and eat too:
-colors of the Quebec city flag CHECK
-giving it the Remparts surrounding the city designs CHECK
-while keeping the Fleurs-de-Lys CHECK
-putting the animal representative of the province CHECK

All remains is putting the big wolf/dragon head of the shape of the province and you're set. lol

I think sometime simplicity all around works better.
I agree. I like every element, but it is just too Damn busy. Also, while I really like a lot of the fan mock ups, i just don't like any of them more than the original.

There are some great designs in this thread, too. I like NONE of them more than the actual last set used by the Nords...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=962823

11-01-2012, 11:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

They just win...

Old
11-01-2012, 11:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Old
11-01-2012, 11:38 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Were it any other franchise, maybe. But no the Yotes pretty much crapped over the Jets' history.
you could have a jets patch on one shoulder and a coyotes patch on the other

Old
11-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
They have some kind of joint venture with RSN. May not broadcast all games but I can see some be broadcast on it.
Lack of English broadcast helped kill the Expos.

If you don't take English language media seriously, they won't take you seriously. Restricting your market penetration to entirely within your own niche is no way to grow the brand.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

If you don't take English language media seriously, they won't take you seriously. Restricting your market penetration to entirely within your own niche is no way to grow the brand.
Dont worry, just like TVA sport has french broadcasts of Sens games, I'm certain Sportsnet'll do the english broadcasts of the new Nordiques games.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I agree. I like every element, but it is just too Damn busy.
It's really not - when you consider all of the elements that they brought into it, it's a remarkably straightforward design. If it looks busy, it's probably just because the image shows three sets of jerseys, and all of the equipment. But if you focus on just one of the designs (which is all you'd see during actual gameplay), you can really see it for what it is:

Even to me - I didn't find it busy in the first place - this seems a lot clearer than in the original image.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Shawa666

Quote:

Lack of french media penetration killed the Expos.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:43 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:

Well, TSN could do the favor to Nordiques, as they do for the Habs, couldn't they ?

EDIT :

Both Hyppodrome towers are down. About 40% of the building remaining standing, should be down by the end of next week.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:50 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
To go back to what I was saying in the previous thread, they look awful but even back then there was a recognition that the original logos were really looking dated. I'm getting tired of the whole faux-retro thing, sports or otherwise. Why so many people like that godawful throw-items-into-a-circle Sabres logo is beyond me, it looks like the design team woke up one morning pissing themselves because they forgot the deadline for the logo unveiling. People always complain nowadays about everything being recycled from ideas from previous decades yet always get indignant at the thought of someone trying something new for once.
Those jerseys look amazing; I don't know what you're smoking.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 50
I hope the future Nordiques will keep their uniforms unchanged. They had the best uniforms in the league

Old
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Those jerseys look amazing; I don't know what you're smoking.
Everybody parrots this yet nobody can explain HOW other than 'it's old'. It's a buffalo and a set of sabres tossed together in a circle. It's unimaginative, it's boring, it looks hideous, it barely makes sense, it gives absolutely no indication of any kind of characteristic of the city beyond 'it's named after an animal'. What exactly about it is so 'amazing'?

You might as well say the Stars' DALLAS jerseys or the Islanders' thirds are 'amazing' too, Buffalo's jerseys are about a half-step removed from those as far as lazy visual design is concerned.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir: 11-02-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old
11-02-2012, 10:45 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
I still think that a new Nordiques team would probably follow the Jets2.0 example and create new logos and uniforms just to essentially force fans to buy gear rather than leave the incentive to just keep their old stuff and save some cash. Then, a few years down the line, unveil a retro third with the old look and make even more bank just as the new team smell wears off.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Keeping it simple, for a third jersey, something they could modify and I mentioned it in the other thread about uniforms, I would not mind if they would replace the Fleur-De-Lys with snowflakes. I'm serious, I think it would look good and it goes well with the name "Nordiques" wich is Nordic/Northern/North people reflecting the cold region.

Also if they modify the logo(again for the third uniform only), they could inspire themselves from the Remparts hockey team and have the N/igloo thing being given city remparts medieval motifs while keeping a similar form and with the same colors.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I still think that a new Nordiques team would probably follow the Jets2.0 example and create new logos and uniforms just to essentially force fans to buy gear rather than leave the incentive to just keep their old stuff and save some cash. Then, a few years down the line, unveil a retro third with the old look and make even more bank just as the new team smell wears off.
It's the last thing they should do.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:56 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Everybody parrots this yet nobody can explain HOW other than 'it's old'. It's a buffalo and a set of sabres tossed together in a circle. It's unimaginative, it's boring, it looks hideous, it barely makes sense, it gives absolutely no indication of any kind of characteristic of the city beyond 'it's named after an animal'. What exactly about it is so 'amazing'?

You might as well say the Stars' DALLAS jerseys or the Islanders' thirds are 'amazing' too, Buffalo's jerseys are about a half-step removed from those as far as lazy visual design is concerned.
I was referring to the Nordiques "new" logo.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:11 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So if the Phoenix Coyotes relocate to Quebec City and become the Nordiques, how would they rearrange the divisions/conferences?

Central:
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

Northwest:
Calgary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Pacific:
Anaheim
Colorado
Dallas
Los Angeles
San Jose

----------

Northeast:
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Toronto

Atlantic:
Boston
New Jersey
New York
New York
Philadelphia

Southeast:
Carolina
Florida
Nashville
Tampa
Washington

??????????

Old
11-04-2012, 01:06 AM
DyerMaker66

?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post

?
Dallas gets ****ed on traveling times...

How about switching Dallas and Chicago?

Or, SJ, LA, ANA, COL & DAL in one division.
EDM, CAL, WIN, MIN, VAN in another.

Closed Thread