HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 01:10 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

It's a bit dodgy of a site, though it is based somewhat upon a Kevin Lowe interview.

From The Fourth Period.com
Quote:
Thursday evening, on local radio station 630 CHED, Oilers President Kevin Lowe responded to a report that the Oilers would complete a "wow factor" trade soon after a new CBA is reached.
The interesting part is the part where Lowe comments on it, even though he doesn't really say anything, he does admit to interest
[quote]You're going into a game with lots of trump cards," Lowe said, as transcribed by the Edmonton Journal, referring to the club's young stars. "That's the only way you can make deals is if you have assets that are attractive to other teams. When you have assets then you can make deals."
Quote:
"At some point, whenever that is, we're probably not too far down the road, we're going to have to make some touch choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team,"
Quote:
"Are we strong enough defence? Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and (Nikolai Khabibulin)," Lowe said. "Khabi has been injured and he's approaching 40. He's given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing."
Quote:
Lowe indicated that the new CBA could make it easier to complete trades,
The article touches on the various players Edmonton has been rumored to have interest in the past summer (Yandle, Luongo, Bouwmeester) while also saying the Oilers refuse to part ways with Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov.

So, he basically says nothing about the "rumored wow factor deal", he also doesn't shoot it down.

I know a few posters suggested in the Luongo thread, something around Hemsky for Luongo, but I can't imagine either team making that big of a deal within their division.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Man Bear Pig

It would be nice to actually see the Oilers try and do something besides tank. My guess is a big name defensemen.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

The Oilers with Lou could actually start to become a threat. I hope he gets traded to the eastern conference.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:30 AM
jroc86

Yakupov for Brent Seabrook ... give Schultz a rock to develop around and take the offensive pressure of Klefbom, Marcinin, etc. Oilers are a Patrick Roy and an Adam Foote away from contending for a decade. If a head has to roll IMO its Yak. 1) Hall loves the camera and is a clear next captain. 2) Eberle is just a beauty in every way. 3) Nuge has Gretzky/Crosby/Datsyuk/Lidstrom'esque hockey sense ... soft shoulder or not, if he plays perimeter hell put up 70+ points till 2025. Yakupov is a less talented shorter and slower Ovechkin who is probably one trolley track hit from Chara/Phaneuf/Kronwall/Bieksa/Sutton from getting re-concussed and running back to the KHL anyways.

If Im Lowe Im shopping Yak for a Dman and Hemsky/Gagner for Luongo or Bernier.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Numbers

[QUOTE=caley;55457545]It's a bit dodgy of a site, though it is based somewhat upon a Kevin Lowe interview.

From The Fourth Period.com

The interesting part is the part where Lowe comments on it, even though he doesn't really say anything, he does admit to interest
Quote:
You're going into a game with lots of trump cards," Lowe said, as transcribed by the Edmonton Journal, referring to the club's young stars. "That's the only way you can make deals is if you have assets that are attractive to other teams. When you have assets then you can make deals."

The article touches on the various players Edmonton has been rumored to have interest in the past summer (Yandle, Luongo, Bouwmeester) while also saying the Oilers refuse to part ways with Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov.

So, he basically says nothing about the "rumored wow factor deal", he also doesn't shoot it down.

I know a few posters suggested in the Luongo thread, something around Hemsky for Luongo, but I can't imagine either team making that big of a deal within their division.
Here is the link to the actual article, not Fourth Period just reporting on it. I posted in Luongo thread earlier.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-some-players/

Old
11-02-2012, 01:34 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
Yakupov for Brent Seabrook ... give Schultz a rock to develop around and take the offensive pressure of Klefbom, Marcinin, etc. Oilers are a Patrick Roy and an Adam Foote away from contending for a decade. If a head has to roll IMO its Yak. 1) Hall loves the camera and is a clear next captain. 2) Eberle is just a beauty in every way. 3) Nuge has Gretzky/Crosby/Datsyuk/Lidstrom'esque hockey sense ... soft shoulder or not, if he plays perimeter hell put up 70+ points till 2025. Yakupov is a less talented shorter and slower Ovechkin who is probably one trolley track hit from Chara/Phaneuf/Kronwall/Bieksa/Sutton from running back to the KHL anyways.

Hmm. I think, as much as Oiler fans hate the idea, they would do good by moving Hall for a 25 minute top notch shut down Dman. Maybe they'll move Yak, but it's a bigger risk than moving Hall in my opinion.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:36 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Hemsky +/- for Bernier +/-

11-02-2012, 01:36 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Shea Weber doesn't have a no-trade clause.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

Seems like some people missed this.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:39 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

Curious to see where Bernier winds up and even as much as I like him, is this a wow trade?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Maybe I'm just cynical, but sometimes trades make you go "wow!"

and other times they make you go "...wow."

Gagner to Chicago for Brett Lebda sounds right.

Yeah. They're going to trade with the Chicago Wolves.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:40 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
Then I'm not sure a "wow" trade exists, unless the Oil really rip someone off.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:41 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Maybe I'm just cynical, but sometimes trades make you go "wow!"

and other times they make you go "...wow."

Gagner to Chicago for Brett Lebda sounds right.

Yeah. They're going to trade with the Chicago Wolves.
That would certainly be a wow, but not in a good way for Edmonton.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:44 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Hmm. I think, as much as Oiler fans hate the idea, they would do good by moving Hall for a 25 minute top notch shut down Dman. Maybe they'll move Yak, but it's a bigger risk than moving Hall in my opinion.
No. Just no. Hall is the last one you move

Old
11-02-2012, 01:46 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No. Just no. Hall is the last one you move
I know, I know.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:48 AM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
Thats called posturing and asset management. The last team that was actually terrible enough to earn 3 1st overalls in a row was the Quebec Nordiques ... Sundin, Nolan, Lindros. How many cup rings did those guys retire with?? Does Edmonton intend on having 30+ mill/year tied up with 4 forwards when their ELC's are up?

The kids are getting dangled - and depending on whats coming the other way nobody is safe. If K Lowe think hes going to squeeze a good dman and true starting goalie out of Gangners 8 point game and Hemskys 8 game un-injured streak hes crazy.

Edmonton needs a goalie and a dman(s). Nobody is going to hand them the final peice to the puzzle without getting a kid back.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:57 AM
shiva

The Oilers resigned Dubi to a new 2 year contract, and with that kind of money, he will be the number 1 goalie this year, can't see lou going to the Oilers for that reason.

I also suspect it's a clear top 2 defense man with grit, or a number 2 center with size (which the Oilers are very weak in prospect depth) IF such a trade should happen. These are the biggest areas in the Oilers weakness, the Oilers D was just horrible last year and no one knows how Whitney will play after his injuries. Gags is just to small, and the Oilers really need some size in the top 6.

My guess for WOW factor is Subban, or O'Reilly

My surprise pick would be Krejci though. Boston is overloaded with centers, are right up close to the cap, and with Seguin resigned may need to shed salary real fast especially with a new CBA coming. This may depend on if he waves his NTC.

If not, and looking at Capgeek, then it could be Lucic, as he is the only high salaried player without a NTC or NMC in his contract. That would be a WOW there, but then, he also will be getting 6 million per year soon as well.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:04 AM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

there's no one on the oilers that i would want for luongo.
pass.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:06 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
pass.
Wow.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
pass.
That's cool cause no Oiler fan wants Luongo and his 100 year contract.
Pass.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Man Bear Pig

I'd say Hemsky+Gagner+a pick or prospect could get you a pretty damn good dman. Teams in desperate need of offense would likely bite and those are considered the Oilers expendable pieces moving forward.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:26 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I'd love that. I believe in Dubnyk, but it would be nice to have 2 young up and coming goalies. I think they're about even right now, but Bernier is supposed to have a lot more potential.

If this year is written off then Hemsky and Simone Gagne will be UFA. L.A might bite. Might not.. their past two deals with Edmonton haven't even come close to working out with them.

Guess they liked the Lubo trade, but they surely hated the Penner and Smyth trades.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:30 AM
rypper

I note the exclusion of the big 4, but realistically for it to be a "wow factor trade" wouldn't it have to include one of them? I don't really feel wowed by gagner or hemsky. Maybe oilers fans do but I don't think any other teams fans do.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:32 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
A core like this would scare me:

Hall - RNH - Eberle

Whitney* - Seabrook
Kelfbom - Schultz

Luongo

Having an elite player in every position guarantees the playoffs.

Having multiple elite skaters at the same position?

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 11-02-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old
11-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
I note the exclusion of the big 4, but realistically for it to be a "wow factor trade" wouldn't it have to include one of them? I don't really feel wowed by gagner or hemsky. Maybe oilers fans do but I don't think any other teams fans do.
A healthy Hemsky is an all-star winger. He's made of glass so that's unlikely but there's still gotta be interest. Gagner could certainly draw some interest from teams weak at center, he would fill a need as a decent second line center for someone. He's not mind blowing by any means but the point remains. Put the two together and that should get you a top 4 dman. Not the "wow" factor but it would certainly help the Oilers.

Closed Thread