HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy "Frankenstorm" @ New Jersey - Hold on to your butts

Old
11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

vCash: 500
So, from what I've gathered from friends and others:

Destroyed:
--Ship Ahoy Beach Club
--Chapel Hill Beach Club
--Driftwood Beach Club
--Donovans Beach Bar
--Manasquan Beach
--Belmar Beach (I think, can't get a straight answer)
--Seaside Heights
--Union Beach
--Highlands
--Keansburg
--Point Pleasant

So, my childhood is basically gone...

I almost lost 2 friends to the storm.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:23 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Found out this am we have power again. Headed back to jersey in 30 mins. Will definitely fill up with gas in PA...

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I'd buy the plate with jersey strong if they actually existed so I could do more seeing I'm from nj. Coming down this week to help isn't enoigh

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Well I did have power but I wasn't hope to enjoy the brief moment. Supposedly, they turned it on to soon and trees caught fire so it went back off. However, parts of my town have power though. And way things around me coming on thinking by Sunday.

Edit: Well lets see if I get it back today like I was just told.

My Brother almost got into a fight with these two young ladies for telling them not to yell at this 90 year old lady. And all they wanted was $10 gas (young ladies)????????? lol Now my brother has a big dent with a shoe print on his car.

Last edited by BrodeurRULES: 11-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.
BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Nick0930

Don't sound like ladies to me, unless it's sarcasm for *****es.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Don't sound like ladies to me, unless it's sarcasm for *****es.
Ya you got it. lol

Its a good thing my aunt and cousin were is the same line as him. I mean lets be honest how far and how much gas are they actually going to get with $10. They were there just to starts problems I think because they weren't the only ones to have problems with them.

BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

90 hours with no power now in north jersey!

I heard on the news today (pix11) how the destruction was comparable to a category 3 hurricane because of the storm surge.

Terrible thing on long island where a man who would not let a woman in during flooding and her two sons drowned because of it.

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
So, from what I've gathered from friends and others:

Destroyed:
--Ship Ahoy Beach Club
--Chapel Hill Beach Club
--Driftwood Beach Club
--Donovans Beach Bar
--Manasquan Beach
--Belmar Beach (I think, can't get a straight answer)
--Seaside Heights
--Union Beach
--Highlands
--Keansburg
--Point Pleasant

So, my childhood is basically gone...

I almost lost 2 friends to the storm.
Belmar beach is gone. Look back for a post by ofs with a link to our photos. The entire thing is destroyed.

There are a million places that need help. If you can, get to the coast and pitch in. go to public works buildings or to town hall.
They'll find something you can do

selyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:10 AM
njdevil26

Check out Mantoloking and Normandy Beach... they hay have gotten the worst... At least Normandy I know since my Grandparent's house is there. over 100 homes have burned down. The homes on the beach have washed away in Mantoloking. The Mantoloking Bridge is damaged... and the ocean met the bay... there's a new inlet created and houses there sunk and exploded.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

vCash: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
90 hours with no power now in north jersey!

I heard on the news today (pix11) how the destruction was comparable to a category 3 hurricane because of the storm surge.

Terrible thing on long island where a man who would not let a woman in during flooding and her two sons drowned because of it.
WHAT?

Is there a link to this story? I hope they charge that guy if he flat out denied them refuge and was able without putting himself in harms way.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:14 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
WHAT?

Is there a link to this story? I hope they charge that guy if he flat out denied them refuge and was able without putting himself in harms way.
It's on Yahoo!

http://news.yahoo.com/isolated-nyc-b...064220250.html

Also, without power since 8pm Monday, no damage, just inconvenience. I feel bad for all those who lost everything.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:
WHAT?

Technically, they cannot. There are two sides though. The man says he saw no woman and only a man trying to get him to come out. While the mother says she pleaded and even tried to smash through his back door. Either way, pretty sad.
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#...rs-tragedy.cnn

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

I would love to drive down to the shore to donate my time on the weekends, but the gas shortage is keeping me really local at the moment. Guessing I am not alone with that constraint. Hopefully as the gas situation eases, more people will be able to volunteer.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
Technically, they cannot. There are two sides though. The man says he saw no woman and only a man trying to get him to come out. While the mother says she pleaded and even tried to smash through his back door. Either way, pretty sad.
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#...rs-tragedy.cnn
That video makes him seem pretty much like a sack of **** human being. I can understand being scared to let a guy in your home that was trying to smash your window, but his story sounds like someone that was paranoid with fear and refused aid when it was needed most. Saying they shouldn't have been out in that weather and complaining he was wearing shorts and flip flops pretty much labels him a dick regardless of the details. Open the window, open the door and at least let them come in for shelter - you don't even have to go out in the storm and help and this story has a whole different angle.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:21 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyar View Post
Belmar beach is gone. Look back for a post by ofs with a link to our photos. The entire thing is destroyed.

There are a million places that need help. If you can, get to the coast and pitch in. go to public works buildings or to town hall.
They'll find something you can do
I can't go anywhere. County curfew is like 6 o clock or at least it is in my town, the only exception is if your trying to get gas. Route 36 is a parking lot on the eastbound( towards sea bright) side and its closed in places, and it takes a half hour for me to get to route 35 which is usually 5 minutes away.

Also, the coast is closed unless you live there as far as I know. I know some people who tried to get in and they were rejected at the bridges. I do believe the one between Rumson and Sea Bright is actually structurally unsafe now.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

I've been incredibly fortunate this past week; I didn't lose power, no damage done, no need for gas.

Complete opposite of last years storm where my entire yard and basement were flooded and had thousands in property damage while going without power for 2 weeks.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

I thought this was a good article.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/31/living...rticle_sidebar

Too bad the people who need to hear the message the most can't.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
And at least they started on the relief effort immediately, not like what happened with Katrina. I saw that Brown (the unqualified FEMA director who abandoned New Orleans during Katrina) had the gumption to criticise Obama for acting too quickly, and that is outrageous. By contrast, Obama's FEMA director (Craig Fugate) is from Florida and has over two decades of direct experience with disaster relief there, and he has drawn praise for the speed and efficiency of his work in NJ from Christie.
I think that's pretty debatable. Those people in Staten Island wandering around homeless haven't seen hide nor hair of FEMA (or any other relief for that matter) and I've seen the agency taking on some heavy criticism for lack of immediate response. This obviously isnt nearly as bad of a storm as Katrina (to put it lightly) so I dont think it's remotely fair to compare the two, but my guess is after this FEMA will learn more from experience and improve once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Check out Mantoloking and Normandy Beach... they hay have gotten the worst... At least Normandy I know since my Grandparent's house is there. over 100 homes have burned down. The homes on the beach have washed away in Mantoloking. The Mantoloking Bridge is damaged... and the ocean met the bay... there's a new inlet created and houses there sunk and exploded.
I love Normandy beach One of the better public beaches on the entire Jersey shore IMO. This is heartbreakingly sad to hear. Saw a helicopter fly over from about Lavallette to about Mantoloking and I couldnt even believe the picture I was seeing =AWFUL.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
VaxjoDevil

Both times (Irene and Sandy) our house got power back quickly. Could have to do with that Governor is in Princeton, but I don't know. Apparently Governor's mansion went black too, I can't believe it does not have generator system.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:30 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Both times (Irene and Sandy) our house got power back quickly. Could have to do with that Governor is in Princeton, but I don't know. Apparently Governor's mansion went black too, I can't believe it does not have generator system.
It definitely helps to be near essential things. Hospitals, key government buildings, fire, police etc... You'll get priority.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:34 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Funniest (but not really) anti-Bloomberg marathon tweet I've seen so far, of which there have been many.

Quote:
Mayor's Advisory: if forced to survive on your own urine, remember: 16 oz cups or less. #LetThemEatMarathons

Old
11-02-2012, 01:42 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

A major power substation is located in Red Bank yet they haven't really sent crews to work on the substation (or neighboring towns).

That's what I've gathered from reading articles so I guess if you don't have power in that area already, keep waiting.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Surprised so many people are against the marathon this Sunday. I think a distraction, however brief, would be a good idea at the moment. A fundraising component directed towards disaster relief would be a great addition.

I think some of the negative reaction is Bloomberg haters pouncing at the opportunity to attack. There is plenty of legitimate criticism, but some of it seems to be knee-jerk hating.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
WHAT?

Charge the guy with what, exactly?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
Surprised so many people are against the marathon this Sunday. I think a distraction, however brief, would be a good idea at the moment. A fundraising component directed towards disaster relief would be a great addition.

I think some of the negative reaction is Bloomberg haters pouncing at the opportunity to attack. There is plenty of legitimate criticism, but some of it seems to be knee-jerk hating.
Look into this more fully and I think you'll find the "negative reaction" is well-founded.

I live about a pitching wedge from part of the NYC Marathon route, it diverts a TON of assets, resources, and police presence DESPERATELY needed elsewhere right now.

Quote:
"How do I tell people who have no place to go, that have no home, that have no heat, that you have to leave because I have to make room for somebody who has to run a marathon?" hotel owner Richard Nicotra told New York 1.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-nyc-marathon/