HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you play the game?

Old
11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
izzy3

vCash: 500
I am a grinder and definately one of the more defensive minded players. I am always first on the backcheck even though I play wing, but I am also the one pressuring the opposing D, if they have the puck. I am a pretty good skater in my division, so that helps.

Recently I just started to develop a slapshot, and kinda prefer to use it now, although I can roof it on a snap/wrister as well. Still I am a pass first guy, actually some of my teammates give me hell for it, cause I tend to pass even if I am in a perfect postition to shoot.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd like to spend some time working on my mini-slapper. The full slapper takes too long to get off in games for me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Oh_so_saad

quick two way foward, acurate snapper/wrister in full stride, chitty slapper, passing and speed are my best assets. also strong defensive game.

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

I'm a low level beer leaguer. I'm not a great puckhandler and don't shoot terribly well, so I like to use my speed to disrupt plays and cause turnovers. In the offensive zone, I like to follow the puck carrier into the slot for rebounds or screen the goalie. I'd have a lot more goals if I could actually finish, lol. At least I'm in the right spot at the right time though.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:42 AM
noobman

I'm a power forward. I'm relatively big and pretty heavy with a long reach. I like to get my body between the defender and the puck and tend to generate most of my offense by driving the net and banging/crashing in and around the crease/high slot.

As a defender I'm very much a stay-at-home defender who just clogs the lanes and hopes for the best. I'm not a terribly mobile backwards skater.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 03:25 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd like to spend some time working on my mini-slapper. The full slapper takes too long to get off in games for me.
Actually I've found that if you get the full slapper down it's quite easy to use it as a mini-slapper. It kinda just comes along, because it's the same motion. Also pretty useful to freeze the goalie and play a pass to the side of the goal, on most occasions it's an easy goal.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:08 AM
SCBruCrew4

I'm an iffy skater at best. I have the balance and the general skill needed to play at my intesity level but I still need to work on the finer details in my skating ability.

My shooting is the same, my wrister is my absolute best. I can control it very well, not too much velocity on it but it's good enough. Slapper and snap shot need work.

All in all, I'd rather be that guy who grinds and never gives up on a play and is willing to dish the puck instead of trying (and most likely failing) looking like Datsyuk out there.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:20 AM

I'm getting older but I'm still able to play with some pretty good junior B and D2 players. My sense and hands get me out of a lot of trouble.

With all things being relative, my styles kind of like an older Mario, Yashin or Sundin style. Big, righty, skilled, LWer thinking offense first.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Thesensation19

I consider myself an overall player. Mostly I am just a smart and simple player. I rely on my big body since I know to use it well on both sides of the puck.

Pros in my game...
Big body, energetic, grinder and hustles, strong vision, vocal

Cons in my game...
Slow take off speed, weak on finishing.

I always try to look for the pass first but also sometimes keep on too much to make a better play when I should be more simple. Give and goes is what hockey is all about I believe. I much rather play with linemates like the russian five. A complete 5 man unit who weaves and cycles.

I consider myself well defensive forward too. I think I come back strong. I like playing down low.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Marotte Marauder

Old, slow and smart.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:47 PM
bwhinnen

I'm a complete newbie to the game (and skating in general) so I play to the best of my ability and listen to others that have played longer than me. My job out there (other than being just a D) is to learn where to be and when to be there along with what to do.

bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:05 PM
IDuck

100% pass 1st playmaking forward....decent skater and stickhandler, good vision and sauce. i actually have a pretty good shot and i get harped on for not shoting but i cant help it, im a passer and nothing makes me happier then when i can draw people to me only to dish it to a wide open teammate for the easy goal while two guys are draped on me wondering why the goalie is looking behind him....LOVE IT

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 125
small fast winger that has a nose for the net. two way guy but not a great battler. goals usually total more than assists

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Oh boy, this is a fun one because I get to sing my praises and tell you all how bad I am. I haven't really played much since college, but I had a pretty good "career" for my school, so...

Below average skater, excelent vision and passing, great work ethic, horrible shot. I may also be the worst defensive forward anybody has ever seen. I can however stickhandle with the best of them, and put up decent numbers for my University. I can't really compare myself with a professional because my game wouldn't translate.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Primrose Everdeen
In Carey We Trust

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
I'm a low level beer leaguer. I'm not a great puckhandler and don't shoot terribly well, so I like to use my speed to disrupt plays and cause turnovers. In the offensive zone, I like to follow the puck carrier into the slot for rebounds or screen the goalie. I'd have a lot more goals if I could actually finish, lol. At least I'm in the right spot at the right time though.
I take almost this exact same approach when I play forward.

When I play defense, I play as a defensive defenseman and usually tell my partner (if I'm paired with someone specifically) that they can feel free to pinch or attack a loose puck instead of backtracking because I'll always backtrack in preparation to defend a rush.

Also, I apparently throw my body all over the ice to clog passing lanes. If I get the puck at the blue line in the attacking zone, I'll usually try to rip a slapshot on goal and keep it low. If not, I just chip it to the corner or pass across to the other point.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I'm an excellent skater. I have very solid speed, but its my edge work, lateral mobility, balance and first steps that are really my greatest strengths. All of my puck skills are very average, as is my offensive IQ when the puck isn't on my stick; I'm not good at getting open or anticipating my teammates moves. On defense, my play without the puck is much, much better. I have a very strong ability to get in passing/shooting lanes, a good stick defensively and the speed/awareness to recover on most plays. I often lose the man on backdoor plays though; it's a big weakness. I'm hard to beat one-on-one though and block a lot of shots as well. I make a very good, calm first pass out of the zone and I love to carry the puck through the neutral zone. I can almost always gain the zone carrying the puck and most often I drive wide and shoot. I don't do this with much stick handling but rather speed, agility and good puck protection. I rarely "make moves" but instead make cuts as I skate, more like a running back.

I have a strong wrister and almost no slapshot to speak of. I miss just high a lot, but get very good velocity and pick corners fairly well. I have a lot of close misses. I am a very strong hitter along the boards but not a good open ice hitter. I am a beast in the corners, offensively and defensively; I will battle and work the puck out on anyone. Basically my skating, puck carrying through the neutral zone and strong play in the corners/along the boards are where I stand out. I'm solid defensively and average offensively. Most of points come off breakout passes or quick shots on the rush/rebounds. I crash the net okay because I'm strong and don't mind the physical game. My conditioning and strength are more strengths in my game than my passing or hands. I'm a hard worker, somewhat like Ryan Callahan as a d-man.

During my college career I was a useful checker who PK'd some and was responsible but unremarkable. I dressed for about 70% of our games in my 4 years.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:11 AM
FlyingEagle

When I'm on the ice I cause emotions of the few fans watching the game. They all make facepalm.

FlyingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Thesensation19

The best way to get better at hockey especially for starters is play the game...

I played for 5 years as a kid and didnt know how to stop on both feet. Went to a camp and when I came back i knew how to. You dont need a camp... you just need skates and ice. Just keep at it. Practice and repetition and that applies to everything in hockey and life

I really took off in high school and my senior year. 2x a week practice. 1-2x a weekl a game. And then whenever I could I would go to open hockey. Jus go and play. Small rinks, large rinks. At home stick handle and work on shooting.

Just play! and you will improve.
Then you can worry about weight lifting and training for stability, strength and fitness.
Always watch what you eat and drink and put into your body... jus typical

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:26 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
My best trait is probably my shooting, hands are quick enough, quick feet laterally, average top speed, don't mind getting down and dirty but i'm a small dude which is often a challenge. Vision is above average but passing is mediocre. Don't mind blocking shots but I suck defensively.

Playing style is pretty standard. I usually play on the wing and always looking to gain momentum from the neutral zone to bring the puck in deep. If I'm off the puck, I'm usually moving around the slot or behind the net. While on defense, I take the point.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:46 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Very fast and shifty, like to cut inside once I hit the blue line and split the defense for a breakaway, luckily I don't play rep so there's no contact and I don't get drilled at the blue line, but I'm also quite a pest at times, so sometimes people take a run at me and I'm a smaller kid (5'9 - 135lbs) so if they do hit me, it's pretty bad for me but they get to sit in the box for a while and I usually get them back later in the game when the ref isn't looking.

Being a former goalie for 9 years, I know where to pick my spots when I shoot. Low corners, over the shoulder and over the pad but under the glove are my go to spots when I have a shot in the slot area. I try to shoot in the opposite direction of the way the goalie is moving to make it tough to stop. My go-to breakaway move is the fake shot-backhand shelf, AKA the Burrows. I'm relied on in both ends of the rink, I worry about my own end before scoring.

I'm the captain of my team in my last year of minor hockey, we're currently undefeated this year in our regular season and we're heading into a christmas tournament in Parksville, should be fun.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I am your typical grinder, I am able to skate hard and pressure the puck carrier to cause turnovers and scoring chances for our team while I crash the net and score garbage goals.

The new team I am on though I am one of the better players, so I have taken on more of a playmaker/sniper role. I need to shoot more instead of always looking for someone to pass it off to. My shooting % is near 50% so I really need to shoot more.
Me to a T. I played a Tucker style game when younger, but have been moving more to a sniper/playmaker lately. I have a great shot, some dangles but my passing is supurb. Tape to tape no looks constantly. Rack up lots of apples. Shooting % is near 40-45%, but I get 2-1 A-G on a consistent basis.

I am also very defensively responsible for a center, I am almost always back to help the D on a rush and great at getting away from the play for an open pass.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:53 PM
bigbadbruins1

I have good skating ability but my puck handling has been lacking. I played goalie all the way up until I got out of college so dangling wasn't exactly important .

But I would say I am a good stay at home defenseman. I block a lot of shots and I tend to do be the best d-man on my team at stopping an offensive chance.
I'm not super tenacious rather I wait for my opposition to make a mistake that I can capitalize on... plus there is no "hitting" in beer leagues so being 6' and 190 pounds doesn't help me all that much.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
My straight line speed and acceleration is pretty good.

Everything else suck.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Forechecking grinder winger or stay at home, first pass d-man. Sometimes center to shutdown the other teams scorer by not give em any room to work. Skate really good, like a little physicality, but my hands suck so I can't really dangle, though my passing is good.

Frustrated with my hand eye. I've done Lumosity training for a few weeks. Now I'm resorting to try and teach myself to juggle.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:49 PM
AD1066
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm one of the fastest skaters in my league, but my hands and vision are both average in every sense of the word. Had some vision problems as a kid, so the hands never quite developed well enough to play at a high level. I'm a little over 6'0 but only 160 lbs.

I currently play in a college league against a few fraternities and another school or two. Because I skate well, my captain usually asks me to change positions on a game-to-game basis depending on which teammates are there that night.

At the wing, I'm a pretty effective north-south player. Skate and shoot, create chances, spring breakaways at ES and on the penalty kill. But I've never had the great vision, so I'm more of a complimentary player.

At defense or center I'm much more suited to shutting down the opposing line. I can keep pace with and relentlessly hound the ex-Junior A guys out there, even though they are far better all-around players. As long as we get the win though, I'll be happy. And in my free time I'll just keep practicing stickhandling.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote