HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Hynh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Boston is an annual Cup contender, so they wont be forking over top line centers for draft picks either. These teams do not match up well for "wow factor" deals is all im saying.
Boston traded their 3rd highest scorer and leading goal scorer for picks the year after they lead the Eastern Conference. Were they not cup contenders that year?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:22 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Idk, center depth of Sakic, Lindros, Sundin might have STILL won them a few Cups
Jocelyn Thibault was selected with the pick received from the Flyers for Eric Lindros and the Avalanche likely don't get Patrick Roy without sending the highly regarded Francophone as part of the package to the Canadiens.

Roy was instrumental in those cup wins. A tandem of Fiset and Thibault would have bowed to the Mighty Red Wings. The Avalanche would have been a very good team that never made it over the hump because of mediocre goaltending.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:25 AM
OMGaudreau

I will personally drive Bouwmeester up the QEII, if the Oilers are kind enough to take him off our hands.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I'd love that. I believe in Dubnyk, but it would be nice to have 2 young up and coming goalies. I think they're about even right now, but Bernier is supposed to have a lot more potential.

If this year is written off then Hemsky and Simone Gagne will be UFA. L.A might bite. Might not.. their past two deals with Edmonton haven't even come close to working out with them.

Guess they liked the Lubo trade, but they surely hated the Penner and Smyth trades.
I love the Smyth trade. Without Smyth asking for a trade the Kings don't end up with either of Richards or Carter, and Fraser (once healthy) did a ton in solidifying the Kings 4th line, giving LA the ability to roll 4 capable lines able to match up with most teams. Yeah there was all the mud-slinging back and forth after that deal, but really LA and the Oil have been really great trading partners in the past few years. They were also involved in the trade for Williams as well. If anything I think EDM has hands down lost most of the deals between the two teams, other than the Penner deal I don't see how EDM has gotten much out of any of those deals.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
As a fan of neither team, how about Hall +/- for Marc Staal +/-?
Hall IMO is the most untouchable...future captain of this team and first #1 overall in franchise history

being signed before Eberle is proof that the org. thinks extremely highly of him

Old
11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Well the Nordiques did turn into the Avalanche and win 2 cups, so I guess that destroys your theory!
Yes, but Sundin, Nolan, and Lindros have a combined 0 cups between the three of them. All three were traded for key assets that helped Colorado win those Cups.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:33 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Jankowski View Post
I will personally drive Bouwmeester up the QEII, if the Oilers are kind enough to take him off our hands.
meet you in Red Deer if the Flames take a 2nd rounder + a prospect

Old
11-02-2012, 11:35 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Jocelyn Thibault was selected with the pick received from the Flyers for Eric Lindros and the Avalanche likely don't get Patrick Roy without sending the highly regarded Francophone as part of the package to the Canadiens.
Roy was instrumental in those cup wins. A tandem of Fiset and Thibault would have bowed to the Mighty Red Wings. The Avalanche would have been a very good team that never made it over the hump because of mediocre goaltending.
They also would've never gotten Roy if they were still in Quebec. No way was Montreal trading the greatest French-Canadian goalie ever to their cross-town rival. But yeah high profile trades do happen, and you trade from a position of strength, so any of the big 3 might be available if the Oil can pick up numerous other pieces to improve the team.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
Are you saying that Gagner would take Patrice Bergeron's spot as a #2 center?

The whole point of trading Krejci is that Boston has Krejci and Seguin who can play #1 center, Bergeron as #2 center, Kelly and Peverley as #3 center, and Campbell as #4. Assuming Seguin is ready to become a full time #1 center, Boston could trade Krejci, which opens up a winger's spot on Bergeron's line because that's where Seguin currently spends most of his time. I'm not gonna say that Gagner has no value at all, but he has no value to the Boston Bruins because he wouldn't even be their #3 center.
I guess i'm still confused as to how you would rate your C's.

Who is your #1c? Is it Krecji, Seguin, or Bergeron? How do you rank them? All i know is that Kredji, if he's the #1C, had 2 other C's(Seguin & Bergeron) outproduce him in pts last season.

My point is that you have a surplus of C's on the team, and having a valuable return in Gagner wouldn't necessarily weaken your pool of C's. I personally think one of the reasons why Seguin is playing wing some of the time is because you have such a surplus. Trading Krejci is an obvious choice.

At the same time, you add a valuable asset like Paajarvi on the wing, not miss a beat by obtaining a 3rd line C in Gagner (23yrs old) that has great potential.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM
OMGaudreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
meet you in Red Deer if the Flames take a 2nd rounder + a prospect
Will you be buying the beer? Actually let's just have the over paid hockey player buy the beers!

Old
11-02-2012, 11:51 AM
The Saurus

Roberto Luongo is going to Edmonton. If not them, then Columbus.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Roberto Luongo is going to Edmonton. If not them, then Columbus.
Wow! That's a little cold of Burke. Flipping the guy to Edmonton right after picking him up from Vancouver.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
I don't see the Canucks trading Luongo to the Oilers unless they get one of the Oilers young guns back (no Gagner doesn't count). I also don't see how the Oilers can realistically make a "Wow factor trade" without trading one of their young guns.
You are a crazy Canuck!!!

Who wants a washed up 33 year old that has another 9 or 10 years on his contract. I wouldn't trade Peckham for him. Not to mention, we already have a goalie that's better than he is.

PASS BIG TIME!!!!

Old
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
BowDangles

For those who are saying the Oilers are not going to be able to have a "wow" trade without giving up one of the big 4 than they did not read the article or listen to the interview...

The reason for speculation from Bob Stauffer about the trade happening is that he believes teams that have "good" players that the team doesn't believe are worth what they are paying them are going to be moved when the lockout ends.

In this case (cap relief) you would not need to sell the farm to acquire these players. Players like Lou, J-Bo, etc..

If Luongo can pry Hemsky or Gagner out of Edmonton for Luongo I think they would have to consider themselves lucky... That deal doesn't get done unless there is some sort of safety net in the new CBA for Edmonton if Luongo decides to suck 3 years down the road...

Old
11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Whitney, Pechkam, Hemsky, Gagner, Omark for Yandle.

A whole line up for a top pairing Dman.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Boston traded their 3rd highest scorer and leading goal scorer for picks the year after they lead the Eastern Conference. Were they not cup contenders that year?
That had to do with failed contract negotiations, Kessel & his agent felt he was worth $5m per, Chiarelli felt otherwise. There is no such issue w/ Krejci as he is signed to a good contract.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I know a few posters suggested in the Luongo thread, something around Hemsky for Luongo, but I can't imagine either team making that big of a deal within their division.
If Gillis takes Hemsky back he deserves to lose his job just the same as he would if he took Komiserek back from TO.

There are only several pieces of value on the oilers and it would take all of them (aside from their big 4)

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
For those who are saying the Oilers are not going to be able to have a "wow" trade without giving up one of the big 4 than they did not read the article or listen to the interview...

The reason for speculation from Bob Stauffer about the trade happening is that he believes teams that have "good" players that the team doesn't believe are worth what they are paying them are going to be moved when the lockout ends.

In this case (cap relief) you would not need to sell the farm to acquire these players. Players like Lou, J-Bo, etc..

If Luongo can pry Hemsky or Gagner out of Edmonton for Luongo I think they would have to consider themselves lucky... That deal doesn't get done unless there is some sort of safety net in the new CBA for Edmonton if Luongo decides to suck 3 years down the road...
No thanks. We're not interested in helping the Oilers fix their goaltending for 60 games out of Hemsky a year.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Well the Nordiques did turn into the Avalanche and win 2 cups, so I guess that destroys your theory!
For those missing the point, including a few paranoid fellow Oiler fans... he/she is being complimentary... everyone knows Que/Col built a dynasty.

The point being made is that the 1st overalls were traded for the assets that built it.

While I see the point, each franchise is different... and I'd argue that Que badly lost the Nolan and Sundin trades.

Whereas Que could hold onto their earlier drafted young C (Sakic), for the Oilers, Gagner is more likely the bait so that we can get a piece complementary to RNH or complementary to Shultz.

And Gagner may not be able to garner a Bobby Holik, or a Mike Fisher... Gagner, a pick, and some solid scouting can probably garner a future Mike Peca or Keith Primeau.... ie the type of player we need to back up RNH.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Reign Nateo

Oilers fans should prepare themselves for one of their young forwards to be dealt in my opinion. Maybe not now, but some time in the forseeable future. What kind of team is built around 4 forwards? Especially when 3 of them are wingers. I think eventually they'll need a goalie, harder and harder to get decent UFAs and no, Tyler Bunz and Olivier Roy are not the answer... They have some solid defensive prospects though, but they are just that, prospects. No one is a real 'can't miss' on the back-end.

If I was the Oilers, I'd value the young forwards like this:

1. RNH - A centre, reminds me of Pierre Turgeon, do not trade.
2. Yakupov - Dynamic, fiesty, do not trade.
3. Eberle - Sick skill level, no physicality, probably never be a true superstar.
4. Hall - If I'm the Oilers, he's trade-bait.

Some interesting things could really come available for the Oilers should they make one of these guys available.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
shiva

Quote:
Ok, what would you suggest Edmonton would trade for Bostons' top line 26yr old 60 to 70 point playmaking center? Let me guess: HEMSKY?
well, lets see, Bostons prospect depth after 3 or 4 guys is pretty bad, as in you don't have any. Hamiton is about the only decent sure thing on defense, and D depth afterwards is not there. In a couple years, the boston d will be quite weak especially as players start entering the twilight of their careers. Considering the Oilers depth for prospects, with Schultz coming up, and at least 4 to 5 nhl level prospects, I expect it would be Klefboom.

What will happen if the cap goes down 5 million, huh? How about this one, what if Savard comes back? You will be 4 million over the cap, 5 centers all signed to high money longer contracts, and a lot of the team has either no movement or no trade contracts.

mod

Last edited by TMI: 11-02-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: personal shot
Old
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Whitney, Pechkam, Hemsky, Gagner, Omark for Yandle.

A whole line up for a top pairing Dman.
And Phoenix still likely declines...

Old
11-02-2012, 12:12 PM
PumpkinBomb

Sam Gagner for Patrick Marleau.

Oilers biggest need a 2nd line C. SJ is close to the cap.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post

Thanks for saving me the time of typing this out. The big 4 are going nowhere, no matter how much some opposing fans wish we'd move one.

And for those nuck fans dreaming of our 1st+++ for RL, good luck with that. Won't be happening. Given what some fans seem to expect, enjoy your 5.3M decade long bench warmer.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
I don't see the Canucks trading Luongo to the Oilers unless they get one of the Oilers young guns back (no Gagner doesn't count). I also don't see how the Oilers can realistically make a "Wow factor trade" without trading one of their young guns.
You missed the part where Lowe said he felt a new CBA may make it easier to do "this type of deal".... (read cap trouble).

As aptly posted by another, remember the Pronger deal... that was a WOW.

There will be teams looking to shed cap. You guys are probably one of them (luongo).

Closed Thread