HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Whitecaps FC Thread VII

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 01:06 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Cause he's been overpaid crap for 90% of the season? If you're gonna hold out for a contract, at least play up to it. The last thing I wanted to see today was Camilo try and dribble 5 defenders, give the ball away, and fail to use his teammates.
That's a good point. And it only serves to remind me that the old group of players probably would have ended up with the same result tonight. Hassli complaining every time he gets touched, Mentos being useless for most of the game, Le Toux running around a chicken with his head cut off than missing on the 3 chances he get.

This team is pretty much the exact same as the old one, only with different names on the back.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:29 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Hard to be disappointed with the lads tonight, they played one of their best road games. Good season, let's improve on it for next year.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:38 AM
YogiCanucks

Both Robson and Miller should be back next season. The most money thrown down the tubes in world soccer these days is teams giving up on players after such a short period of time when they haven't yet adjusted. About mid-season next year we'll know what we really have in Miller and Robson but until then I think the correct thing to do is reserve judgement. Though if you like to have a revolving door line up, kicking players out when they can't preform and bringing new players in... well TFC is a MASTER at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
How can you possibly think there is a chance of winning when you have 25% possesion??? my god, Rennie is a stupid coach. add in robson, and you have a very strange situation...

If the caps wanna be a defensive team who play on the counter, what the hell does robson do? He's slow and can't defend, and can't take control of the offense. If you want a slow player on a counter attacking team, then they at least have to be very good defensively, and it would be nice if they could control the offense a la rivaldo. robson does nothing!
Stick to hockey.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:44 AM
metric

Out: Harris, Richards (leaving) and Barbara
Fence: Thorrington
Give a couple months: Camilo

Old
11-02-2012, 01:50 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Out: Harris, Richards (leaving) and Barbara
Fence: Thorrington
Give a couple months: Camilo
I think Camilo has a decent amount of value around the league. What do you think of packaging him with Philly's first to see if we can get the #1 pick from TFC?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Both Robson and Miller should be back next season. The most money thrown down the tubes in world soccer these days is teams giving up on players after such a short period of time when they haven't yet adjusted. About mid-season next year we'll know what we really have in Miller and Robson but until then I think the correct thing to do is reserve judgement. Though if you like to have a revolving door line up, kicking players out when they can't preform and bringing new players in... well TFC is a MASTER at that.

Stick to hockey.
Robson's attitude is a cancer on this team. It's clear he thinks he's too good for the MLS. Unless he gains some humility, he can feck off.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:56 AM
metric

Quote:
I think Camilo has a decent amount of value around the league. What do you think of packaging him with Philly's first to see if we can get the #1 pick from TFC?
Not sure what sort of players will be available. The last couple of seasons have shown there are some pretty darn good players in the 5-10 range (Berry and DeLeon last year and Sapong and Bruin in 2011).

Old
11-02-2012, 02:06 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
I seriously am starting to hate the Kings arrogance.
Where we really Canada's hope to win it all? Could've fooled me!

Most of Canada didn't know we were in the playoffs..

Old
11-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Petey Cee
reel gud

Quote:
Stick to hockey.
So you actually think you can win with 25% possession? wow....

Old
11-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Derp Kassian

Thought Rennie did a great job but it went to crap when Demerit got injured and Bonjour got exposed by the excellent diving of Donovan(dumb to put his arm out though) Watson was cutting up the Galaxy too curious subbing off of him... I also think Camilo would've known which foot to get the shot off on quickly unlike Miller who flubbed a sure goal.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:44 AM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Where we really Canada's hope to win it all? Could've fooled me!

Most of Canada didn't know we were in the playoffs..
Pretty sure most of Canada would think of "Multiple Listing Services" before they thought of "Major League Soccer".

Old
11-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

They played better tonight than their last 10 matches combined. If they were going to go out, they did it by putting in a great effort.

Onward and upward.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:51 AM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
They played better tonight than their last 10 matches combined. If they were going to go out, they did it by putting in a great effort.

Onward and upward.
I don't think tonight was a great game from the team, although I guess you're measuring it against mostly crap anyways. 31% and a team that didn't really touch the ball out of their own end after the first 20 minutes doesn't scream good effort to me.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad View Post
I don't think tonight was a great game from the team, although I guess you're measuring it against mostly crap anyways. 31% and a team that didn't really touch the ball out of their own end after the first 20 minutes doesn't scream good effort to me.
The Whitecaps had a chance to win given their early goal and chance right before the Galaxy scored. That being said, unless we go an get some good internationals like LA, do we ever really have a chance to win?

I was cheering for the Caps but it was pretty easy to bet LA for the win after the Whitecaps scored (got them at better than 2 to 1 for the win in live betting). Unfortunately, the result was very predictable.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:03 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
So you actually think you can win with 25% possession? wow....
First of all, LA is a far superior team so we were never going to see more than 40% of the ball anyways. If we had played a game where we controlled more of the ball we would have left ourselves far more exposed at the back. It's kind of like asking the 2006 Calgary Flames to play a run and gun style against the 2010 Washington Capitals...

And secondly, yeah I do think they could have won with 25% possession. What if they had scored on that break in the 68'? What if JdM hadn't gone down to injury? It's not out of the realm of possibilities that we could have come out on top considering we'd kept them off the sheet for so long. To me saying that is as stupid as when I hear people say that the 2011 Canucks weren't really that good. So if in that game 7 if they had FLUKED a victory are they still "not all that good"?

Whitecaps played the game that gave them the best shot at winning, the game plan was terrific and they nearly pulled it off. Great effort.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad View Post
Pretty much. Given the crap we've seen from them recently and the fact they've been schooled in every match at the HDC, I was expecting a 3-0 LA win with no shots on goal from us.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Well I am happy for the efforts they put in this season.... even if the majority of effort was in the 1st half of the season. This was only our 2nd year of expansion & we were the 1st Canadian team to make the playoffs. With the way that Vancouver's youth program is set & the strides shown this year I'd say we are heading in the right direction.

Now next year lets get that first playoff win!

Old
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

They should really call the MLS the MLAS. Favoritism every ****ing time.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Does anybody have that link to the top young players coming out of your academy? It was posted months ago and may not fit the way things stand now but I would love to see it again.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
They should really call the MLS the MLAS. Favoritism every ****ing time.
Have to add New York to that as well. There are different rules for those two teams that the rest of us do not get.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
go_leafs_go02

I've never liked Robson, him having a temper tantrum on the field numerous times per game, screaming at team mates, the ref, rather than just playing the game.

such a waste of a player for a DP spot. Miller I am more OK with, but Robson needs to go.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
Does anybody have that link to the top young players coming out of your academy? It was posted months ago and may not fit the way things stand now but I would love to see it again.
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...-The-Top-Three
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...tch-Part-Three
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...Watch-11-to-15
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...Watch-16-to-20

A few of these players have gone off to college but the Whitecaps will retain homegrown rights provided they satisfy certain conditions (players train with club a minimum number of times, which I forget).

We really need to keep everything in perspective. If you asked us one year ago, today, if we'd lose in the first round to the defending champions we'd all jump at it. Martin Rennie is still a rookie MLS coach. He's made some very good decisions and some very bad ones. His biggest test is this offseason and how he will address the glaring holes we have. I know Miller has been a dud but if I HAD to choose, right now, between him and Robson I choose him. Robson may have done more (not by much) but his attitude is terrible.

We need leadership. Last night the Whitecaps fell asleep again on the short corner and Robson let Magee go. We can't have our DP doing that. Focus has plagued us all year and it's really disturbing that the coaches and players have yet to be able to address that. You can't turn off for a second against a top team like LA and they deservedly burned us.

The holes we must have filled are RW/RM, playmaker, and attacking midfielder.

Last edited by metric: 11-02-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

Is Robson gone yet?

Old
11-02-2012, 04:44 PM
YogiCanucks

Those of you who are hardcore fans, how comfortable are you with the Whitecaps positioning themselves as a "stepping stone" franchise in which they will sell off young talent to better leagues and bring in younger players with potential?

It's tough, but I think to build this franchise it's for the best. I'd say we have one more year of Koffie and we can probably sell him off for millions which can be put back into the team infrustructure.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:55 PM
metric

I'm fine with it for now as long as we're still getting good results while they're with us. The way the league is structured you simply have to have a good academy and good scouting. But as MLS grows and improves then we'll need to look into retaining these players. I can't fault players for wanting to go play in better leagues at the moment. If we can become the Barcelona, or Ajax, of MLS I'd be happy.

Closed Thread