HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Oilers fans should prepare themselves for one of their young forwards to be dealt in my opinion. Maybe not now, but some time in the forseeable future. What kind of team is built around 4 forwards? Especially when 3 of them are wingers. I think eventually they'll need a goalie, harder and harder to get decent UFAs and no, Tyler Bunz and Olivier Roy are not the answer... They have some solid defensive prospects though, but they are just that, prospects. No one is a real 'can't miss' on the back-end.

If I was the Oilers, I'd value the young forwards like this:

1. RNH - A centre, reminds me of Pierre Turgeon, do not trade.
2. Yakupov - Dynamic, fiesty, do not trade.
3. Eberle - Sick skill level, no physicality, probably never be a true superstar.
4. Hall - If I'm the Oilers, he's trade-bait.
Some interesting things could really come available for the Oilers should they make one of these guys available.
yes and have a LW depth of what? Paajarvi, Smyth, Hartikainen and Eager ?
With all the knee jerk fans, Hall is a 2 goal (AHL)game away from being at the top of this list.

Old
canovin
Klefbom's charm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Oilers fans should prepare themselves for one of their young forwards to be dealt in my opinion. Maybe not now, but some time in the forseeable future. What kind of team is built around 4 forwards? Especially when 3 of them are wingers. I think eventually they'll need a goalie, harder and harder to get decent UFAs and no, Tyler Bunz and Olivier Roy are not the answer... They have some solid defensive prospects though, but they are just that, prospects. No one is a real 'can't miss' on the back-end.

If I was the Oilers, I'd value the young forwards like this:

1. RNH - A centre, reminds me of Pierre Turgeon, do not trade.
2. Yakupov - Dynamic, fiesty, do not trade.
3. Eberle - Sick skill level, no physicality, probably never be a true superstar.
4. Hall - If I'm the Oilers, he's trade-bait.

Some interesting things could really come available for the Oilers should they make one of these guys available.
You forgot to include Klefbom and Justin Schultz

Also Bunz and Roy are shaping up pretty nicely. Still very young goalie prospects. But Oiler won't be contending for a cup until another 2 years not including the lockout.

Old
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Sam Gagner for Patrick Marleau.

Oilers biggest need a 2nd line C. SJ is close to the cap.
Good Lord are you drunk this early in the morning?

Old
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Vancouver needs a 3rd line C. Luongo doesn't have as much trade value as people think. I could see a Luongo for Horcoff, low first tier, high 2nd tier prospect and a pick. It gives Vancouver some more depth and some options with the prospect/pick.

Horcoff is a fine defensive centre. He's worn out his welcome here because folks have expected unrealistic offense out of him. I mean, he was our #1 C for years. He'd do well in a role in Vancouver, and we'll finally realize how good of a depth C Horcoff actually is.

But with that, I'd almost rather beef up the D and roll with Dubnyk. I actually think Dubby can be a solid goalie with a legitimate NHL D in front of him.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
enjoy your 5.3M decade long bench warmer.
I think you'll get to see him a lot, usually a backup game for us

Old
11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhawk View Post
Yeah, well those three didn't retire with any but the team ( Avalanche ) won two and Lindros who essentially became Forsberg and via Thibault became Roy also won two.
It's a gamble either way of course.
Thats what I was getting at bro ... dont covet picks for the sake of having them if there are moves out there that will make your TEAM better.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Thanks for saving me the time of typing this out.

And for those nuck fans dreaming of our 1st+++ for RL, good luck with that. Won't be happening. Given what some fans seem to expect, enjoy your 5.3M decade long bench warmer.
Where are these Canucks fans you mention? Most are pretty reasonable.

More reasonable than Oilers fans expecting to make a "wow" trade with the spare parts on their roster outside the top 4 young guys. There is not a lot on that roster outside those players that any one would be interested in.

There's a reason the Oilers are so terrible, it's because their supporting cast is junk.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:17 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
I love the Smyth trade. Without Smyth asking for a trade the Kings don't end up with either of Richards or Carter, and Fraser (once healthy) did a ton in solidifying the Kings 4th line, giving LA the ability to roll 4 capable lines able to match up with most teams. Yeah there was all the mud-slinging back and forth after that deal, but really LA and the Oil have been really great trading partners in the past few years. They were also involved in the trade for Williams as well. If anything I think EDM has hands down lost most of the deals between the two teams, other than the Penner deal I don't see how EDM has gotten much out of any of those deals.
I think we were (temporarily) pretty damn happy with the Lubo deal. He became Whitney, who has been very solid for us... when healthy.

We definitely lost out on that Cole/POS/Whitney merry-go-round though... what a terrible trade.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
yes and have a LW depth of what? Paajarvi, Smyth, Hartikainen and Eager ?
With all the knee jerk fans, Hall is a 2 goal (AHL)game away from being at the top of this list.
Ya I guess once you make a trade you can never make another move again. So they'd be stuck with no LWers. Makes sense...

It's no knee jerk. Hall can't keep his head up and has questionable hockey sense. If I'm the Oilers, he'd be the first young guy I'd trade. Let him sit on someone elses' IR.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
You forgot to include Klefbom and Justin Schultz

Also Bunz and Roy are shaping up pretty nicely. Still very young goalie prospects. But Oiler won't be contending for a cup until another 2 years not including the lockout.
I didn't forget anything. Team is still built around those 4 at this point no? Klefbom needs to come to NA first, then we'll build a team around him, deal?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Well the Nordiques did turn into the Avalanche and win 2 cups, so I guess that destroys your theory!
How stupid are people on this board? Do you actually think I overlooked that? No, I was implying that they went on the be a force for a decade despite not having any of those picks around but they did get some great players in return for them (namely, Forsberg, Foote, and Ozolinch <-- spelling?).

Old
11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I think you'll get to see him a lot, usually a backup game for us
We'll see how things go as our kids mature and the Sedins dwindle.

Even if you split games 50/50, you are still spending 9.3M to do so. Frankly I enjoy the idea of you guys missing 5.3M in usable cap space.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Ya I guess once you make a trade you can never make another move again. So they'd be stuck with no LWers. Makes sense...

It's no knee jerk. Hall can't keep his head up and has questionable hockey sense. If I'm the Oilers, he'd be the first young guy I'd trade. Let him sit on someone elses' IR.
Actually, if you watched Hall in his second season he made a considerable improvement on keeping his head up and avoiding doing his usual "rush along the boards until someone cranks him" move. This isn't Lindros skating through the middle of the ice down 8 years into his career. Hall has already changed his game.

But of course, you seem like an expert. You should know.

Last edited by Senor Catface: 11-02-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old
11-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Petro Points

Quote:

More reasonable than Oilers fans expecting to make a "wow" trade with the spare parts on their roster outside the top 4 young guys. There is not a lot on that roster outside those players that any one would be interested in.

There's a reason the Oilers are so terrible, it's because their supporting cast is junk.
J.Schultz
L.Smid
A.Hemsky
J.Petry
M.Paajarvi
R.Smyth
S.Horcoff (overpaid but far from junk)
S.Gagner
R.Whitney
O.Klefbom

There is more to team then the "top 4"

Old
11-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
And Phoenix still likely declines...
Another Canuckle fan. What a hater...I love it!!!!

Old
11-02-2012, 11:25 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Quote:
I didn't forget anything. Team is still built around those 4 at this point no? Klefbom needs to come to NA first, then we'll build a team around him, deal?
Well Oilers aren't moving Schultz and Klefbom anytime soon so yes they are part of Oilers core. You can include Smid and Petry as well.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Well there's this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
I don't see the Canucks trading Luongo to the Oilers unless they get one of the Oilers young guns back (no Gagner doesn't count). I also don't see how the Oilers can realistically make a "Wow factor trade" without trading one of their young guns.
There was also another nuck fan asking what we'd think of a Paajarvi + Hartikainen + 1st for RL deal on our board last night.

If you'd read the article, you'd see that the message Lowe was saying was that he thought there wouldn't be a problem moving secondary parts for cap casualties. Feel free to disagree with that idea if you like, but it makes sense to me. If the asking price for any semi decent player is a 1st overall pick or a 22yo all star then no trades will ever be made again.

Old
FAMOUSfin

Lowe might be talking about trading cap space to facilitate a trade?

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Vancouver needs a 3rd line C. Luongo doesn't have as much trade value as people think. I could see a Luongo for Horcoff, low first tier, high 2nd tier prospect and a pick. It gives Vancouver some more depth and some options with the prospect/pick.

Horcoff is a fine defensive centre. He's worn out his welcome here because folks have expected unrealistic offense out of him. I mean, he was our #1 C for years. He'd do well in a role in Vancouver, and we'll finally realize how good of a depth C Horcoff actually is.

But with that, I'd almost rather beef up the D and roll with Dubnyk. I actually think Dubby can be a solid goalie with a legitimate NHL D in front of him.
To be honest, I'd rather face Dubnyk than Luongo especially as the Oilers improve. I don't see the Canucks being interested in helping the Oilers speed up their rebuild unless they are getting a high return from Edmonton. If the value is what you set out above (and after hearing Oilers' fans complain for years about Horcoff I think you'll have trouble convincing Canucks' fans that he has a decent value given his contract) then I see Luongo likely being moved to an Eastern team.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Well there's this guy.

There was also another nuck fan asking what we'd think of a Paajarvi + Hartikainen + 1st for RL deal on our board last night.

If you'd read the article, you'd see that the message Lowe was saying was that he thought there wouldn't be a problem moving secondary parts for cap casualties. Feel free to disagree with that idea if you like, but it makes sense to me. If the asking price for any semi decent player is a 1st overall pick or a 22yo all star then no trades will ever be made again.
I guess we disagree on what is a Wow Factor Trade then.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Frankly I enjoy the idea of you guys missing 5.3M in usable cap space.
I don't look at it that way, there isn't an FA left out there worth spending the money on and Lu is the only guy we have to trade. It's also pretty nice having a stud in net for 82 games.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
I guess i'm still confused as to how you would rate your C's.

Who is your #1c? Is it Krecji, Seguin, or Bergeron? How do you rank them? All i know is that Kredji, if he's the #1C, had 2 other C's(Seguin & Bergeron) outproduce him in pts last season.

My point is that you have a surplus of C's on the team, and having a valuable return in Gagner wouldn't necessarily weaken your pool of C's. I personally think one of the reasons why Seguin is playing wing some of the time is because you have such a surplus. Trading Krejci is an obvious choice.

At the same time, you add a valuable asset like Paajarvi on the wing, not miss a beat by obtaining a 3rd line C in Gagner (23yrs old) that has great potential.
Trading an asset for 2 lesser assets isnt good business. Nobody is sure Seguin can replace him yet, and IF they do trade Krejci, it will be for a top-6 winger who would take Seguins RW spot on Bergeron line.. not for 2 lesser talents in Gagner & Paajarvi who Boston has no use for.

In the next year or so Boston will have Knight & Spooner trying to crack this roster, there is no urgent need for Paarjavi (i like his potential). Certainly not at the expense of Krejci. Boston IMO would look to move Krejci for an established top-6 winger, perhaps shipping him in a package for a Bobby Ryan type winger.

Last edited by Oates2Neely: 11-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Picking up Bouwmeester for a 2nd + a prospect to get the Flames away from the cap wouldn't be a 'wow' factor trade? It would be in my books. Stauffer didn't say a blockbuster. He said a trade that would make one say 'wow'. To me, that suggests Bouw because Stauffer has always been close to that family and a trade for a big name player between Edm and Cal would certainly be surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I don't look at it that way, there isn't an FA left out there worth spending the money on and Lu is the only guy we have to trade. It's also pretty nice having a stud in net for 82 games.
Sure, look at it how you like, if that makes you feel better. For this season, you are probably correct. But RL's trade cost won't be going up with him sharing starting duties and getting older, if you keep him this season.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Brewer, Woywitka, Lynch

Old
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Yes to you... a 'Yakupov for Luongo' deal would get a lot of WOWs .. but there is no way Lowe would be hinting of that to EDM fans on EDM radio station.

To me a wow deal would be Paajarvi + 2M cap space to BOS for Krejci.

Closed Thread