HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
nobody's giving up on him. Merely repeating what I heard on radio about Duchene. I think it was a beat writer or radio guy for the Avs who mentioned it in reference to the emergence and leadership of Landeskog and O'Reilly. When the host asked about Duchene, there was a lot of commentary about his attitude, leadership (lack of) and his presence in the room.

Still a great talent.

---

And, don't look now, Strome's got two more points tonight in a 2-0 win, up to 23 pts (tied with Scheifele) and just four away from the OHL leader.
Strome stinks, at least that's what I've read here. Can't carry Scheifele's jock.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:55 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
nobody's giving up on him. Merely repeating what I heard on radio about Duchene. I think it was a beat writer or radio guy for the Avs who mentioned it in reference to the emergence and leadership of Landeskog and O'Reilly. When the host asked about Duchene, there was a lot of commentary about his attitude, leadership (lack of) and his presence in the room.

Still a great talent.

---

And, don't look now, Strome's got two more points tonight in a 2-0 win, up to 23 pts (tied with Scheifele) and just four away from the OHL leader.
Thank goodness the Isles did the right thing by picking JT. I was so nervous that the reports at the beginning of the draft had Duchene as the pick. I give props to Snow for fooling whoever it was (I'm thinking Burke) and have them report it on the air.

Regarding Strome, it's very nice to see him putting up the points. What's more important is that Niagara was not supposed to be a strong team this year and he's doing his part to keep them in it so far. They've scored 52 goals and he's got 23 points, he's carrying the offense. I don't think they're a high scoring team this year either. He's right on track in his development.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:30 AM
YashinWorksHard

I was scared about Hedman more than Duchene, but was obviously that Tavares pick was the right and safe choice. The only time Snow has done the right thing in the first round. He's better with mid-later round picks.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Degeneration Rex

Niagara traded D Brock Buekeboom to Guelph. Probably too early to say if Niagara will do a full rebuild later on in the year. Guelph needs another defenseman with Pedan suspended for 4 games.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Good news!

Hey, for all we know, he follows these boards and that discussion here a few weeks back got under his skin.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Strome stinks, at least that's what I've read here. Can't carry Scheifele's jock.
Nahhhhh, you didn't read that here.

What you did read here was that if Scheifele can do what he's doing this year, then Strome should actually be capable of doing more at this point.

The reasons as to why are documented in plenty a few pages back...

Old
11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
kuwo

Corey Pronman tweeted some interesting things about Strome during yesterdays game :

Quote:
Interesting usage point... #Isles Strome at draft not known for all-around game, checking toughs tonight, playing PK, & def zone starts.
Quote:
With first change, Niagara coach has been putting Strome/Ritchie on the draw for every Faska/Puempel shift.
Quote:
Dont expect Frans Nielsen but D improvement will help his NHL transition.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:58 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Corey Pronman tweeted some interesting things about Strome during yesterdays game :
Great quotes and certainly very interesting. I think the Isles stress 2-way play in their centers and Strome looks like he's fitting right into that mold. He's putting up points and he's improving his complete game, that's good news for us.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Kirill Petrov just had a real nice assist.

Don't know if this will work in North America, but the game is being shown here:
http://onhockey.ru/

Old
11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Kirill Petrov just had a real nice assist.

Don't know if this will work in North America, but the game is being shown here:
http://onhockey.ru/
At the end of his current contract and the big if-he come here, just a personal opinion
his game may be better suited to North America and the smaller ice surface.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:39 AM
scott99

I just have a strange feeling that we will never see Kirill "Momma's Boy" Petrov on North American ice. I don't think he will ever leave Russia. Not saying I blame him for staying and caring for his ill mom, but couldn't he have gotten her better care in the States ?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Good to read the quotes also. Going to tell all of you a little secret. Some of my work takes me to the Niagara area during Thanksgiving. Going to the games on Friday, November 23 as Niagara hosts Belleville and the next night the Ice Dogs host Sudbury. Gives me a chance to see Strome, Theoret and Graham live.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Good to read the quotes also. Going to tell all of you a little secret. Some of my work takes me to the Niagara area during Thanksgiving. Going to the games on Friday, November 23 as Niagara hosts Belleville and the next night the Ice Dogs host Sudbury. Gives me a chance to see Strome, Theoret and Graham live.
You know the drill then, detailed scouting reports will be required from us. You can stop short of the urine samples though.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
At the end of his current contract and the big if-he come here, just a personal opinion
his game may be better suited to North America and the smaller ice surface.
I am one who thinks his game is WELL-suited for North America.

Considering he loves to carry the puck, make moves drag it around in tight corners and play a bullish game on the boards and in tight spaces, I believe he could come out real big here.

Just watching today, I've been delighted by his skating, backchecking, all-round awareness and ability to give opponents fits when he's puckhandling. He also has made a few astute plays today to open up things and turn possible pressure points in his own zone into solid breakouts in the other direction.

Oh, and I keep thinking he's got better hands than I always expected.

This all said, as long as his mother is ill, the chances of him leaving Russia are next to nill. Also, as good as he's looked, I don't get the feeling that he's gonna come to the NHL and be putting up 60 points per.

Interesting:
The announcers are pronouncing his name 'Pay-trove'.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Degeneration Rex

Chapin, you described Petrov very well. Another factor is money, he is making a lot more in the KHL than he would make in the AHL. If he comes after his current contract (giant if) he should be able to play right away in the NHL and make good entry level money.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Chapin, you described Petrov very well. Another factor is money, he is making a lot more in the KHL than he would make in the AHL. If he comes after his current contract (giant if) he should be able to play right away in the NHL and make at least good entry level money.
Certainly. I can't imagine him coming over unless it's to be in the NHL directly.

Fortunately, from what I'm seeing and also knowing that he'll be in the KHL another year, it doesn't look like he'd need any AHL time.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
You know the drill then, detailed scouting reports will be required from us. You can stop short of the urine samples though.
Check on the scouting reports. Too bad I'm going to be there for only 3 days, during the Thanksgiving
break when there is no school. Would have like to seen Pelech and Pedan too.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
scott99

Quote:
Check on the scouting reports. Too bad I'm going to be there for only 3 days, during the Thanksgiving
break when there is no school. Would have like to seen Pelech and Pedan too.
Degen Rex, I've said it once, and I'll say it again, YOU are THE MAN ! We owe a debt of gratitude to you and your updates, as well as your scouting reports. Btw, I have a huge amount of jealousy towards your Thanksgiving break. I would love to go to a Junior game some day.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I am one who thinks his game is WELL-suited for North America.

Considering he loves to carry the puck, make moves drag it around in tight corners and play a bullish game on the boards and in tight spaces, I believe he could come out real big here.

Just watching today, I've been delighted by his skating, backchecking, all-round awareness and ability to give opponents fits when he's puckhandling. He also has made a few astute plays today to open up things and turn possible pressure points in his own zone into solid breakouts in the other direction.

Oh, and I keep thinking he's got better hands than I always expected.

This all said, as long as his mother is ill, the chances of him leaving Russia are next to nill. Also, as good as he's looked, I don't get the feeling that he's gonna come to the NHL and be putting up 60 points per.

Interesting:
The announcers are pronouncing his name 'Pay-trove'.
Sounds like Petrov Flatley. With better wheels. I'll take that any day if he can hit.....but dread the "can't skate" comments if he's just like Flatley. (skating being more important than positioning and hockey sense to many....)

Old
11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Degen Rex, I've said it once, and I'll say it again, YOU are THE MAN ! We owe a debt of gratitude to you and your updates, as well as your scouting reports. Btw, I have a huge amount of jealousy towards your Thanksgiving break. I would love to go to a Junior game some day.
Thanks for the kind words, Scott. I tell everyone who says they want to go to a junior game to go.
Really good atmosphere and very enjoyable. I try to go when in Canada.

Just received an email from a former student who is a freshman at Denver University.
He has tickets to tonight and Saturday night's games against St. Cloud State.
He promised to watch Mayfield and email me back.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:29 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I just have a strange feeling that we will never see Kirill "Momma's Boy" Petrov on North American ice. I don't think he will ever leave Russia. Not saying I blame him for staying and caring for his ill mom, but couldn't he have gotten her better care in the States ?

I'm bothered by the Petrov saga as much as the next isles fan, but his mother supposedly extreMly ill. Calling him a mamas boy for not wanting to leave hs sick mother is a bit much IMO

Old
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I'm bothered by the Petrov saga as much as the next isles fan, but his mother supposedly extreMly ill. Calling him a mamas boy for not wanting to leave hs sick mother is a bit much IMO
Please read what I wrote afterwards. There is no way in hell you can tell me he can't get better care for his mom here in the States than he can in mother Russia. I'm super close to my mom as well, but if I lived in Russia, and was able to sign a contract in the States, and was able to get my mom the best care in the world here in the States, you know damned sure I'd be on the first plane with my mom to the States. I'd do anything for my mom, including move to another country to get her the best care possible.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:55 PM
YashinWorksHard

Petrov doesn't have any interest in the NHL, with or without mom. I doubt he earns a lot of money there, he's far to be a star.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Please read what I wrote afterwards. There is no way in hell you can tell me he can't get better care for his mom here in the States than he can in mother Russia. I'm super close to my mom as well, but if I lived in Russia, and was able to sign a contract in the States, and was able to get my mom the best care in the world here in the States, you know damned sure I'd be on the first plane with my mom to the States. I'd do anything for my mom, including move to another country to get her the best care possible.
And what if she's too sick to travel? Maybe she's on her death bed and he wants to spend as much time with her as possible? We get it, you love America.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

I don't doubt that he signed for the immediate money and used his situation at home as a convenient screen to keep the Islander option open. In less than one month he went from "I am coming to the NHL," to, "I signed here." Less than one month, during which time I believe his Mom was just as sick when he said he was coming, to when he shut the door. IMO the most likely scenario is he saw his immediate gains vs. the uncertainty of a roster spot here any time soon as the deciding factor. Probably he used the Islanders via his agent proclaiming he was coming here pre-contract as a way of bargaining for a better salary over there. I of course don't know this for sure, the same way none of us know exactly why he did what he did, so I don't dislike him for what he did, but I also could care less if he ever makes it over here as well because of it too.

If anyone should be pissed it's Bonzo, because he was pretty much hung out to dry by the guy by how things went down.

Closed Thread