HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 11:32 AM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
there's no one on the oilers that i would want for luongo.
pass.
Oilers dont want luongo

Old
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Would be a good fit IMO, but wouldn't Bernier be more desirable to them? Age being the main reason.
Would rather risk it Dubynk that give away pieces for a goalie who also has risk. Plus Bernier hasnt shown to be a huge imptovement from dubnyk

Old
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

J.Schultz - No (Yes I am bitter but idgaf)
L.Smid - No
A.Hemsky - OH HELL NO
J.Petry - No
M.Paajarvi - Pass
R.Smyth - We have enough oldtimers
S.Horcoff (overpaid but far from junk) - OH DEAR LORD WHY IS HE ON THE LIST
S.Gagner - NEIN
R.Whitney - No need
O.Klefbom - Not interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
There is more to team then the "top 4"
There definitely is but nothing VAN needs.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:39 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Picking up Bouwmeester for a 2nd + a prospect to get the Flames away from the cap wouldn't be a 'wow' factor trade? It would be in my books. Stauffer didn't say a blockbuster. He said a trade that would make one say 'wow'. To me, that suggests Bouw because Stauffer has always been close to that family and a trade for a big name player between Edm and Cal would certainly be surprising.

Sure, look at it how you like, if that makes you feel better. For this season, you are probably correct. But RL's trade cost won't be going up with him sharing starting duties and getting older, if you keep him this season.
Best of luck to you with that one.
To date Lowe and Tambellini have not exactly impressed me as the kind of guys who can pull off that kind of deal. We'll see.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Ashasx

Why would the Flames accept that?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
If Canucks fans want one of the big-4 for Luongo than they're the ones not being reasonable and everyone sees it.

Also, must've missed the part that said non the big-4 would be included in this "wow factor trade". I'm guessing that whatever may be brewing isn't as "wow"'ing as people would like it to be.
For those that haven't read the comments.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-some-players/

Quote:
On the show, Stauffer, an Oilers employee and insider, suggested that no one for a second would contemplate trading any of the Big Four up front (Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov), but with so many young assets, perhaps there was a way to expedite the process (by way of a trade) of turning around the Oilers.

“You’re going into a game with lots of trump cards,” Lowe said. “That’s the only way you can make deals is if you have assets that are attractive to other teams. When you have assets then you can make deals.

“So, absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some touch choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team. I mean, we need to get to the playoffs first (laughed) so you can’t put the cart ahead of the horse, but no question. I don’t talk to managers on a regular basis any more, that’s Steve Tambellini’s job, but I do know from my past experiences that we won’t have a tough job selling anybody on anybody that we have in the event we’re interested in a player on another team.”

Old
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Sure, look at it how you like, if that makes you feel better. For this season, you are probably correct. But RL's trade cost won't be going up with him sharing starting duties and getting older, if you keep him this season.
No, probably not. But he has value playing for the team, so until what we get back exceeds his value to the team or that cap space does, we're a better team with him.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Ballgarath

Quote:
Thanks for saving me the time of typing this out. The big 4 are going nowhere, no matter how much some opposing fans wish we'd move one.

And for those nuck fans dreaming of our 1st+++ for RL, good luck with that. Won't be happening. Given what some fans seem to expect, enjoy your 5.3M decade long bench warmer.
as an Oiler fan you already know what a $5 million a year waste of time is all about "hemsky's 30 goals in 3 years" so your experience in this matter could help us deal with LU, plz continue.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
neksys

I know there's strong feelings on both sides, but setting aside biases (no, Luongo is not a backup) and contract concerns (who knows what the new CBA brings), can you imagine how good the Oilers would be for the next few years with Luongo in net?

Even if it meant giving up one of the big 4, that is suddenly a championship team, maybe for a number of years. Scary.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Why would the Flames accept that?
Perhaps because the Flames are close to the cap and have no chance at competing for the cup?

But maybe they wouldn't. No one really knows. I was suggesting Bouwmeester because Stauffer is friends with the family and has been talking him up since his WHL days. But it was nothing more than speculation on my part.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
L.Smid - No
A.Hemsky - OH HELL NO
J.Petry - No
M.Paajarvi - Pass
S.Gagner - NEIN
R.Whitney - No need

Canucks could certainly use some decent prospects to fill out that relatively awful pool they have. Klefbom, for example, is better than anything you guys have (aside from Nicklas Jensen, I suppose)

Old
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
L.Smid - No
A.Hemsky - OH HELL NO
J.Petry - No
M.Paajarvi - Pass
S.Gagner - NEIN
R.Whitney - No need

That can be said for any team... just because EDM fans can say OH HELL NO to everyone on VAN including the twins doesnt make them 'junk'.

Sedin-Sedin-Hemsky would be a very good NHL line.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
vanwest

Quote:
That can be said for any team... just because EDM fans can say OH HELL NO to everyone on VAN including the twins doesnt make them 'junk'.

Sedin-Sedin-Hemsky would be a very good NHL line.
That would be an awful line.
The Sedins want the puck and Hemsky wants the puck. Burrows works on that line because he lets the Sedins have the puck and he does the dirty work. Hemsky is the exact opposite of what that line needs.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No, probably not. But he has value playing for the team, so until what we get back exceeds his value to the team or that cap space does, we're a better team with him.
Very true. It will be interesting to see how the RL saga plays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgarath View Post
as an Oiler fan you already know what a $5 million a year waste of time is all about "hemsky's 30 goals in 3 years" so your experience in this matter could help us deal with LU, plz continue.

Last year was the first year Hemsky was significantly below a ppg average. He got that contract because the Oilers felt he could get back to that level once his shoulder started rounding back into shape near the end of last season. We'll see if they're right. Personally I think some people will be surprised at the numbers Hemsky puts up feeding a sniper like Yakupov.

And that's as far off topic as I'm going.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Perhaps because the Flames are close to the cap and have no chance at competing for the cup?

But maybe they wouldn't. No one really knows. I was suggesting Bouwmeester because Stauffer is friends with the family and has been talking him up since his WHL days. But it was nothing more than speculation on my part.
Why is it a problem that the team is close to the cap? The team wants to be close to the cap. The team has owners that are willing to pay that much.

That doesn't mean they should just give valuable assets away.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Why is it a problem that the team is close to the cap? The team wants to be close to the cap. The team has owners that are willing to pay that much.

That doesn't mean they should just give valuable assets away.
Do they really want to be close to the cap without a chance at winning it all? I guess you'd know your owners better than I.

But there was another Flames fan in this thread offering to drive Jay up the QE2 if we'd take him and his cap hit away. Does your view match management's? Or does his?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
topchowda

Quote:
L.Smid - No
A.Hemsky - OH HELL NO
J.Petry - No
M.Paajarvi - Pass
S.Gagner - NEIN
R.Whitney - No need

Very interesting you say no to prospects since you have the worst prospects/prospect depth in the league, when Sedins retire/regress your in for a fun time

Old
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
L.Smid - No
A.Hemsky - OH HELL NO
J.Petry - No
M.Paajarvi - Pass
S.Gagner - NEIN
R.Whitney - No need

You have no interest in Schultz or Klefbom eh?

Old
11-02-2012, 12:00 PM
BowDangles

I personally think it is a Jay-Bo trade too. As mentioned above, Stauffer loves him and mentioned the Oilers should have tried to acquire him back at the draft.

He said that players like hall, yak, ebs, RNH, Shultz and even went to as far as guys like Marcinin would not be available. So It wouldn't be a package of great significance going back to the flames for taking 1.5 years of Jay-Bo's cap off their hands.

I am thinking the Flames are going to finally realize that they should rebuild and start trying to acquire assets for the players that are aging...

Old
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Really hope its Luongo for Hemsky. Ales gets so much hate because he's had a rash of injuries but he is EXACTLY what our team needs - someone in that second line who can make a ****ing pass. And he's absolutely elite at playmaking and should have no trouble keeping up with the speed.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Yes to you... a 'Yakupov for Luongo' deal would get a lot of WOWs .. but there is no way Lowe would be hinting of that to EDM fans on EDM radio station.

To me a wow deal would be Paajarvi + 2M cap space to BOS for Krejci.
To me that would be a Wow deal too.
As in Wow! How could Chiarelli one of the best GM's in the business trade a key piece like Krejci for a player like Paajarvi. In other words, it's about as realistic as a Luongo for Yakupov deal but just slanted in your favour. Ok, not quite the same, but you get my drift. You're massively overrating MPS and his value.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
well, lets see, Bostons prospect depth after 3 or 4 guys is pretty bad, as in you don't have any. Hamiton is about the only decent sure thing on defense, and D depth afterwards is not there. In a couple years, the boston d will be quite weak especially as players start entering the twilight of their careers. Considering the Oilers depth for prospects, with Schultz coming up, and at least 4 to 5 nhl level prospects, I expect it would be Klefboom.

What will happen if the cap goes down 5 million, huh? How about this one, what if Savard comes back? You will be 4 million over the cap, 5 centers all signed to high money longer contracts, and a lot of the team has either no movement or no trade contracts.

mod
Boston won the Cup based on their spectacular depth, losing key players such as Horton, Bergeron along the way & having players seamlessly step in to replace them (Peverly, Seguin).

Savard isnt coming back.
Thomas is off the books after this season.

& neither of us know what will come of this new CBA, so commenting on it at this point is fruitless.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 11-02-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Vancouver Blazers
1973-1975

Why does anyone think the Canucks would want Hemsky?

Old
11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 80
Luongo for Horcoff and a pick/prospect

Old
11-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post

You have no interest in Schultz or Klefbom eh?

I said I was bitter, who would want a player that doesn't want to be there (Lindros anyone?)

Klefbom I am honest to God not impressed with.

Closed Thread